I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh my... I want to say these are “not bad” offers compared to what United’s card offerings have looked like lately, but then United miles aren’t worth what they used to be so it’s almost like let’s devalue the miles, increase the rewards. :confused:

And then I look over to Chase’s Ink business offerings, with UR a much more flexible currency and transferrable to UA 1:1, and the CIP earning 80k UR (+20k UR support) for $5k MSR, the CIU earning 50k UR (+15k UR support) for $3k MSR, and the CIC earning 50k UR for $3k MSR. The $10k MSR for 100k UA is still a high minimum and a waste of spend for what you get, but a lot better than the ludicrously tiered spend $5k in 3 months for 50k UA, spend $20k more in the first 6 months for another 50k UA (a $25k MSR for the full 100k UA!!!) offer that just ended.

The personal Explorer offer is, again, “not bad.” It’s a lot better than the just ended tiered 65k UA offer (spend $2k in 3 months for 40k UA, spend $8k in 6 months for an additional 25k UA — $10k MSR for the full 65k UA!!!). Previous iterations of this card have had targeted offers of up to 70k UA — back when United miles were arguably worth more, but I believe with higher $4k or $5k MSRs. 60k UA for only $3k MSR is pretty good if you have a need for United miles and/or you were planning to transfer UR to UA anyway. As I’ve said before, the great thing about the United Explorer card is not the SUB or its bonus categories, but the fact that just holding this card (or its no AF downgradeable option) opens up expanded economy saver award inventory and, if you have it added to your MileagePlus account payment options, you get a 25% cardmember bonus on points earned buying eGCs through MileagePlus X. The Explorer card has its AF waived the first year, and you can product change to the no AF United MileagePlus card after a year (and still retain access to expanded XN inventory and the cardmember bonus in MPX), so you can pay no AFs for the SUB and card benefits. If you fly United, this card is worth considering.

Since we fly out of a United hub and fly on United a lot, I’ve been eyeing the Explorer card to add to DW’s wallet and may finally bite sometime before 4/2, but this will take her to 4/24 and we’ll need to save a slot to churn a certain Chase card or two later this year.

What I am seeing is Chase is offering better SUB terms on their Business and Explorer cards (I guess they didn't get many bites with their last promotion?), but also SUBs on their business and personal Club cards that don’t always offer a SUB instead waiving the high $450 AFs (AF not waived with the current SUB offers).
Don’t forget that the explorer card comes with PreCheck/GE credit.

I'm torn on Biz Platinum because of the annual fee but I'm seeing Dell does sell Xbox Live digital gift cards. I think these are just digital gift cards, but the "Live" is throwing me off. All DS ever wants for birthday, Christmas, etc. is xbox gift cards.
Xbox live is a service they offer to allow people to play together online. If your sons wants to buys games, get the regular GCs.

Thanks for the suggestion and offer. I really don't have any specific questions yet, mostly just trying to figure out a medium term plan. I am really leery about the :drinking1:drinking1 turning into another GrAAvy Train debacle (I already got stung in the CSR/CSP DD) so I'm trying to figure out another route.

DH is having some health issues so I don't want to plan too far ahead because we don't know how his travel ability will be in two years. I just want to have as much versatility to be able to provide him an awesome vacation of his dreams. It may be difficult figuring this out as the man can't even decide on an entree from a menu! He does like cruising with NCL (relaxed dining dress code) and visiting my parents in Alaska. So for right now my focus is on UR's, getting us to Alaska, and having a few more free hotel nights.
I totally understand. One more thing to mention about the NCL card is that the WorldPoints can also be cashed out for $200 - just straight cash. BoA actually made a positive move a few months ago and made WP 1 cpp but with a minimum redemption of $25 (2500 points). So you could get a DD into your BoA account, a statement credit, or a check of the points before they expire (5 years) if you end up not traveling.

I wouldn't run right out and get it, but just letting you know it has back up options now. :)

Xbox live is a service they offer to allow people to play together online. If your sons wants to buys games, get the regular GCs.
I know. But I think these are regular gift cards. But Dell is saying they are Xbox live gift cards. And he's not really buying games. He's mainly buying VC for NBA 2k20.Capture.PNG

I know. But I think these are regular gift cards. But Dell is saying they are Xbox live gift cards. And he's not really buying games. He's mainly buying VC for NBA 2k20.View attachment 467344

These eGCs are delivered into your Dell account's fulfillment locker where you can access the code. You can then add this to a Microsoft account and use them to buy whatever is available on the Microsoft online store and presumably XBox too. I don't have an XBox, so I can't speak to that.
I do bank these GCs into my Microsoft account to save up for something more expensive than $100 that I might want to buy eventually. Dell credits are use them or lose them during the Jan-June and July-Dec periods. Once they're in your Microsoft account, the GC credits don't expire.

P.S. Don't forget to go through Ebates. Microsoft GCs track. Dell is up to 4% today, but it occasionally goes up to 10-12% or more.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion and offer. I really don't have any specific questions yet, mostly just trying to figure out a medium term plan. I am really leery about the :drinking1:drinking1 turning into another GrAAvy Train debacle (I already got stung in the CSR/CSP DD) so I'm trying to figure out another route.

DH is having some health issues so I don't want to plan too far ahead because we don't know how his travel ability will be in two years. I just want to have as much versatility to be able to provide him an awesome vacation of his dreams. It may be difficult figuring this out as the man can't even decide on an entree from a menu! He does like cruising with NCL (relaxed dining dress code) and visiting my parents in Alaska. So for right now my focus is on UR's, getting us to Alaska, and having a few more free hotel nights.
I am sorry to hear about your dh. I hope you figure out his dream vacation and make it come true for him.

What happened with the CSR/CSP DD? Did Chase claw back the URs? I got my CSR in October, 2016 but didn't DD with the CSP. I too am leery of "the cup" spilling over.

I just re-read your comment - you shouldn’t have to give up your TSMM either. I’d get that back and give up some other crappy FP 🤣
Yeah, that was before I realized the tiers had changed---dd was reading a tweet to me so I popped on and grabbed the MFSR. I got the TSMM back but at a time that makes more sense now.

The website and the app both were glitching on me. Silly Olaf without his head!

I am sorry to hear about your dh. I hope you figure out his dream vacation and make it come true for him.

What happened with the CSR/CSP DD? Did Chase claw back the URs? I got my CSR in October, 2016 but didn't DD with the CSP. I too am leery of "the cup" spilling over.
I applied for both late August 2018, put all my spend on the CSR, totally ignoring the CSP, and two weeks later Chase shut it down. This is the timeframe of the DD demise and I was fortunate that the CSR was left intact. Others were not so lucky, having both cards shut down. I don't remember if anyone had UR clawbacks. Since then I feel the need to tiptoe around Chase so as not to poke the bear again.

Thanks for the support for dh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter