I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had read somewhere that the grocery category on the Chase cards( other than the CF)was a little looser and might include Target if they had a specific grocery section. I decided to experiment and can confirm that my Target did not:(. It's just a regular target with groceries, not a Super Target. Has anyone had any surprises of what codes as grocery with the new bonus?
Bummer. I just did that same experiment today so it hasn't posted yet for me to see. My regular Walmart did code 5x on CSR, I did a GC purchase on Monday.

I guess I'll try asking again, are there any Chase cards I'm missing going after before I just go for an Amex or Citi (AA) personal? I got the CIP (my one and only) in January. I have the Freedom, the CSR, IHG Premier as well. I don't stay in Hyatt, and never fly SW. Kinda lost love w/ Starwoods when it merged and Bonvoyed. I have thought maybe getting the free IHG for the points.

Is it better to sign up for the CIC than PC from the CIP to it (at the year mark)? I would likely close the CIP then. I have a legit business and business checking account w/ Chase for 14 years, so I'm not too worried about the denials they've been giving.

And would I want to CIC (if I did) and then do the free IHG card later? I'm sitting at 4/24 until October when I drop again, then December.

I guess I'll try asking again, are there any Chase cards I'm missing going after before I just go for an Amex or Citi (AA) personal? I got the CIP (my one and only) in January. I have the Freedom, the CSR, IHG Premier as well. I don't stay in Hyatt, and never fly SW. Kinda lost love w/ Starwoods when it merged and Bonvoyed. I have thought maybe getting the free IHG for the points.

Is it better to sign up for the CIC than PC from the CIP to it (at the year mark)? I would likely close the CIP then. I have a legit business and business checking account w/ Chase for 14 years, so I'm not too worried about the denials they've been giving.

And would I want to CIC (if I did) and then do the free IHG card later? I'm sitting at 4/24 until October when I drop again, then December.

hmm, i think u answered your own question haha.

If you aren’t worried about the denials then why aren’t you going for a Chase biz card right now to test that theory? Why push to 5/24 for 5 months?

Well I guess that's what I'm asking is it better to go for a CIC outright and cancel the CIP when the AF posts, or PC to the CIC?
Well, one of these options gets you 53,000 URs... 🤣

And why do you need to cancel the CIP when the AF hits? You can get a CIC now (if you can actually get approved) and then just do a PC to a 2nd CIC or a CIU later when that AF comes around on your CIP. 😊

Yes, but you also need to make sure you are still a member until you receive the reward. I think in 2018 I upgraded in August, sailed a few weeks later, then received the reward in May. I'm not sure about whether it's pro-rated because I think I happened to upgrade right when my membership was renewed.

And on the first question I think it has to start by the 2nd anniversary of the day you booked, but I'm not certain.
Thanks! I just got my reward from the cruise last June. My membership renewed in July so I will plan on downgrading until I figure out what we are doing with the placeholders. Even with a full priced upgrade I would probably be ahead since I'd have 2 rooms

Perfect....done

Got a no fee united mileage select which doesn't seem to be publicly available instead of that travel bank card.
What are the benefits of the no fee United mileage select? I also have the old select and was thinking of getting that new United club card, but don’t want to just cancel the united select one as I have had it for 15 years.

So much backreading to do later...

Question/Advice?

My United Mileage Plus Select annual fee just hit and I don't see any value in this anymore....should I just try and product change to the no fee United Travel Bank card? I will never do anything with the card but I have had this card open for 7+ years and I do not want to lose the history of the account. (That makes sense right).

I guess I can also see if they can waive the fee/retention offer.

Thanks for any advice!

Chase also has a no fee United MileagePlus “rewards” card (a different product than the Travel Bank card). That’s what I PCed my United MileagePlus Select card to. (For those with the United Explorer or Club card, it’s also a downgrade option.) For the most part, the downgraded card sits in my drawer, but it’s also my oldest card account at about 20 yrs. so keeping that history open for no fee is big for my AAoA. It also offers “passive” benefits just for holding the card and having it in your MileagePlus account, including access to additional economy saver space on United flights and a 25% additional points bonus when buying eGCs on the MPX app (you don’t have to buy with the United card, just have it added in your MileagePlus account).

What are the benefits of the no fee United mileage select? I also have the old select and was thinking of getting that new United club card, but don’t want to just cancel the united select one as I have had it for 15 years.

I don’t think there is a no fee “Select.” It’s either the no fee MileagePlus card or the Travel Bank card. My United card was force converted multiple times over the years to the Select, but it didn’t have any memorable benefits other than 5,000 anniversary miles for something like a $85 fee. Generally, Chase’s Freedom and Sapphire cards offer better returns from category spend than United’s cards, and the CSR offers best in class trip insurance such that I’d rather charge a cash flight to the CSR (or even the Amex personal Plat for 5x and its new trip protections) than a United card for whatever category bonus they’re offering and free bags.

This is the no fee United MileagePlus card: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-united-no-annual-fee-card-review/

Last edited:
Just waiting for DCL to cancel my cruise. All Alaskan cruises for 2020 have been removed from their website as of yesterday. Trying to decide between an 8-night Greek Isles cruise in June or 11-night cruise from Dover to Norway in late July. DD is being no help. She hates the heat so I'm thinking she'd prefer the weather on the Norwegian cruise. I want to do the Norwegian cruise, but I also want her to pick what she really wants. I probably need to start looking at excursions to get a better feel for the difference between the two.

For full disclosure, I cancelled that NIS cruise for 2019 :( and would love to go on the one in 2021. Having said that, if you haven't been there before I'll share that the Italy/Greece/Med area in summer is hotter than the surface of the sun while it would be unusual to find that heat in Norway, Iceland, or Scotland. NIS is more of an "outdoor" destination, where there are fewer museums and indoor attractions to visit and more ourdoorsy places to see like waterfalls, mountains, etc. That may help make the decision. Of course, with Copenhagen and Dover added to the mix, you can find plenty of cultural places and museums to visit before and after the cruise. If you have questions about what most people do in those ports, just send me a PM and I'll let you know what we did last time and were planning to do this year.

For full disclosure, I cancelled that NIS cruise for 2019 :( and would love to go on the one in 2021. Having said that, if you haven't been there before I'll share that the Italy/Greece/Med area in summer is hotter than the surface of the sun while it would be unusual to find that heat in Norway, Iceland, or Scotland. NIS is more of an "outdoor" destination, where there are fewer museums and indoor attractions to visit and more ourdoorsy places to see like waterfalls, mountains, etc. That may help make the decision. Of course, with Copenhagen and Dover added to the mix, you can find plenty of cultural places and museums to visit before and after the cruise. If you have questions about what most people do in those ports, just send me a PM and I'll let you know what we did last time and were planning to do this year.
Thank you so much--so helpful. We are in Central VA and our summers are disgusting so going somewhere super hot isn't very appealing. And thank you for offering to let me know what you did. I'll send a pm.

I don’t think there is a no fee “Select.” It’s either the no fee MileagePlus card or the Travel Bank card. My United card was force converted multiple times over the years to the Select, but it didn’t have any memorable benefits other than 5,000 anniversary miles for something like a $85 fee. Generally, Chase’s Freedom and Sapphire cards offer better returns from category spend than United’s cards, and the CSR offers best in class trip insurance such that I’d rather charge a cash flight to the CSR (or even the Amex personal Plat for 5x and its new trip protections) than a United card for whatever category bonus they’re offering and free bags.

This is the no fee United MileagePlus card: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-united-no-annual-fee-card-review/
Thanks for the information. I have the CSR but I was contemplating getting the new United Club card because it will get 4x miles with United purchases rather than the 3x I get with the United Select I have had all this time. The added United club benefit also seemed like a nice perk to have just in case. I’m military so I generally don’t pay baggage fees so that is never a perk I find useful. I also don’t have to pay Annual fees with Chase as they waive those for military as well. So the new United Card seemed like a good swap for the old United Select card that I have. I’ve been wanting to swap it out because it is the only card I have that I pay an annual fee on because I have had it so long and Chase didn’t grandfather in old cards to waiving annual fees. But I don’t want to close the Select because it is my oldest card, so I was wondering which was the better option to downgrade it to. Sounds like it doesn’t matter too much with the benefits of the no fee options.

edited to add: I also have the Amex Plat to get 5x on flights, but I do like getting a bonus on the spend with United cards on United cash tickets as it helps add to my United stockpile and I haven’t figure out a way to convert MRs to United miles. My husband and I have been hoarding United miles with a plan to do a big international trip in first with the kids and grandparents. And we have status with United because government travels end up with United the majority of the time.

Last edited:
So for anyone interested, I got hubby to call on his denial! So excited he did it! He was told essentially that because he got a new SW card in Jan with a $24,000 limit and doesn't carry a balance that he didn't need a new card. He explained that he didn't need or want that high of a limit on SW card, but he really liked the benefits of the CSR and could he take $10,000 from the southwest card limit and get the CSR? They said yes and his new card showed up immediately in his account.

I know the SW limit is high but I had two cards with higher limits and was approved for CSR (with equally as high of a limit) a couple of months ago, so I didnt initially think it would be a problem. But I'll be messaging to lower all the limits soon so we don't run into this again.

Anyone care to recommend a good diy home security system? Just talked to my neighbor (city cop) and the lady next to me (divorced mid 50s) and whoever is living with her are “using” and the neighbor on the other side of her thinks they broke in or tried to break into his garage.

I’d noticed weird stuff lately. She put a towel up over her pedestrian garage door so no one could see in and a sign that said no trespassing. ((My neighborhood is generally considered extremely safe). And she had a security camera with wires hanging out her window over her garage. Which makes me wonder what the heck is going on in the house.Ugh.

So for anyone interested, I got hubby to call on his denial! So excited he did it! He was told essentially that because he got a new SW card in Jan with a $24,000 limit and doesn't carry a balance that he didn't need a new card. He explained that he didn't need or want that high of a limit on SW card, but he really liked the benefits of the CSR and could he take $10,000 from the southwest card limit and get the CSR? They said yes and his new card showed up immediately in his account.

I know the SW limit is high but I had two cards with higher limits and was approved for CSR (with equally as high of a limit) a couple of months ago, so I didnt initially think it would be a problem. But I'll be messaging to lower all the limits soon so we don't run into this again.
Congrats party:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter