I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. I am good without them. DH thought they were so I am glad to hear that is not the case.
They are mandatory in schools and state owned buildings. Everything else is a “recommendation”. Some small businesses ask for them.
That being said, I think it could change. When is your trip?

Thank you! I don't know why I'm so nervous about it not working for my flights next month. I bought EBCI for me and dd, but not ds who is my CP. I'm sure I'll get up early to check us on our outbound flight anyway, it'll definitely make checking in for the flight home easier.
I'll be honest, I only ever buy 1. On SW, saving seats is not against the rules (there's no rule for or against) I usually have EBCI and stand in front of the aisle seat with my bag in the middle seat, because I'm too short to put it in the overhead. I wipe down the tray tables and armrests. When DH and DS board,DS takes the window, DH puts all our bags in overhead and I sit in middle. No one has ever even asked me if a seat was available, neither flight attendant nor passengers.

Last edited:
Thanks. I am good without them. DH thought they were so I am glad to hear that is not the case.
I would bring them to be safe. Not required today, but tomorrow could be different. Tuesday our school district had a contentious school board meeting to decide if masks would be required (meeting adjourned before deciding as people got nasty) and next day the governor decided for us and mandated masks. Things are changing quickly.

I'll be honest, I only ever buy 1. On SW, saving seats is not against the rules (there's no rule for or against) I usually have EBCI and stand in front of the aisle seat with my bag in the middle seat, because I'm too short to put it in the overhead. I wipe down the tray tables and armrests. When DH and DS board,DS takes the window, DH puts all our bags in overhead and I sit in middle. No one has ever even asked me if a seat was available, neither flight attendant nor passengers.
Tks! He won't board on his own, I'd have to step back with him. While I think DD would board alone, she may not feel comfortable holding seats for us, but then again who knows. It's definitely time for her to start doing those types of independent things. This is the first time it's just the three of us.

I've done exactly that when I was A-list. I threw my stuff in one row and stood in the other watching for the rest of the fam. I never had issues, but did get a few of those glares.

I'm confused about the $100 credit as well. Do you just have to use your platinum card at the hotel for an eligible purchase (like breakfast?)? And it automatically credits? My stay is this weekend so I guess we'll find out.

We've used FHR for years, and I'm pretty sure it shows up as a credit on the final room charge bill. It's a great deal for those one-night reservations. I used FHR for our college tours because free breakfast, late checkout, and $100 of dining credit was really useful. The ones that give the spa credit aren't as good for those really short stays though.

@CyndiLouWho @Psychodisney Are masks required in Chicago?

Just talked to my DD who is there and things are changing rapidly. Her apartment building just went to mandatory masks in common spaces today. The numbers aren't super high there, but I'd be prepared to wear them.

Oopsie. My Lowe's credit card (opened in 2017 but never used) was just closed for inactivity.

At least Victoria's Secret emailed me first to remind me I had no activity on it so I could keep it open (it's my longest -open card)!

I still haven't decided what to do about my CSP (leave open and pay the AF or close it). Ugh...

You specifically need it for rental insurance, correct? You could pay the annual fee now, use it for your rental and then downgrade. They’ll prorate the AF, so you’ll get the best of both worlds.

I'm curious if it's one reservation under P1 or P2 even though the FNC came from different accounts. Does the reservation only show up under one account?

Our Grand Wailea reservation, the 2 FNC reservation stayed in DH's account and 1 FNC in mine. I think they put a note to link the reservations, but I also let them know at check-in. We didn't have to change rooms or update room keys, but we had 2 bills (and the points went to our respective accounts).

When I've called to use DH's FNCs, they've texted a code to the e-mail on file in order to verify. So would be handy to have that open and ready. :)
It just showed up under one account, think he will get the night's credit. I have so many FNC to use by the end of the year.

I pay my ATT bill with my CFF to get the cell phone insurance. I have an offer on my BOA debit - pay two transactions of 37.50 and get $75. If I pre-pay ATT twice before my bill posts using the BOA debit and then pay the balance when due, will the insurance still be valid for the month?

Morning! Reposting my post from a few weeks ago for feedback/advice :)

Hi all! New to posting on this board but have been quietly reading on and off for years.

07/21 - Navy Federal Go Rewards Visa
04/21 - Navy Federal More Rewards AmEx
11/14 - Capital One Quicksilver
02/15 - Capital One Quicksilver

All other cards are older than 2 years and don't come with any benefits so need to be churned, but I listed the Capital Ones as I know they're recommended sometimes.

I am also an AU on my partners AmEx Platinum.

2)
  • I put literally everything on my AmEx that I can and then pay it off -- groceries, gas, travel, any bills/subscriptions, rent, restaurants, etc. The only thing that I can't put on it is... other credit card payments, of course. ;) Those get paid in cash. I probably spend about ~1500/month on average between all of those things.
  • I am carrying balances on most cards but am working on paying them down.
  • Raleigh/Durham is my closest; for international, we like to fly to Boston (as that's where we're from originally)
  • I am a JetBlue fan to a fault, but also like flying Delta. I loved Alaska/Virgin but they rarely fly out of here. Southwest would be my absolute last resort - I hate to fly and need to select my seat in advance LOL
  • But yes, Southwest flies out of RDU
  • Marriotts are my go-to but I know their point system isn't all that great; a close second is Hilton
  • Approx. ~50k in AmEx points; Gold status with both Marriott and Hilton (thanks to the AmEx Platinum auto upgrade)
  • Honeymoon in the next few years; pay off student loans faster; pay off wedding while we're planning it! :) (FYI - not engaged yet. I know the ring has been ordered. We've already started planning so we can budget.)
  • We're definitely heading to the UK in May 2022 for my best friends wedding and would like to do an extended trip.
  • Me and my partner!
Here is my first question (although I will have many others!): I have a Bank of AmeriCard that was the second card I had ever opened, back in 2006. It has always maintained the same level of credit - $600 - despite asking for CLI's when my credit was high, waiting out between cards, etc. Literally nothing makes this card budge. It has the second longest history so I don't want to close it of course, and I am not a fan of BoA, but I am thinking about a PC in 6 months or so and am curious if anyone has any recommendations. It's currently a card that does nothing for me outside of keeping my credit history long! Any recommendations?

We've used FHR for years, and I'm pretty sure it shows up as a credit on the final room charge bill. It's a great deal for those one-night reservations. I used FHR for our college tours because free breakfast, late checkout, and $100 of dining credit was really useful. The ones that give the spa credit aren't as good for those really short stays though.
I'm not using a FHR hotel. It's the other one which requires 2 nights. It should work the same way though, right?

Also, it looks like amex gave me the $200 travel credit for this charge. No sign yet of the hotel credit. Will the two credits stack on one reservation?

i am not sure why that makes you feel worse but 99% of my flights originate from BWI and less than a handful have been delayed and if they were, it was less than an hour.
well maybe b/c all my BWI layover experience pre-Covid involved long delays and problems... :rotfl2: I'm thinking b/c it's a major hub and we always ended up there for waaaay too long

Tks! He won't board on his own, I'd have to step back with him. While I think DD would board alone, she may not feel comfortable holding seats for us, but then again who knows. It's definitely time for her to start doing those types of independent things. This is the first time it's just the three of us.

I've done exactly that when I was A-list. I threw my stuff in one row and stood in the other watching for the rest of the fam. I never had issues, but did get a few of those glares.
in the past...I've swapped places with my kiddo if they got a different number than mine....so if I wanted to hold a seat I'd get on first etc. Many times the gate agent would say 'just board together' when the kiddo was younger...

If the BOA card has no AF, then no harm in keeping it open for age of credit. Use it every now and then to keep it alive.

Keep working on paying off the balances! The value of any new bonuses is lost when you're paying interest (even on other cards IMO). I'm going to guess the credit card interest is higher than the student loan interest. Get the cards paid off first.

They are mandatory in schools and state owned buildings. Everything else is a “recommendation”. Some small businesses ask for them.
That seems to be hit or miss. I drove through on the Tri-State yesterday and stopped at an oasis. Nothing on the doors saying masks were required like last year and I would say probably 75% were unmasked inside.

At this point I just keep a mask in my pocket at all times, if I need it I have it. If I don't, it's an extra ounce or two in my already heavy pockets.

Thanks. We arrive tomorrow morning and head to Sandestin on Tuesday. I have Chicago Cut booked for Mon.

ETA: DH got A16 (A-list), DS A17 (CP) and me A18 (booked with DH). We are flying into O’Hare.

I am interested in the Amtrak bonus that is out.
Cannot find the fine print about how long between sign-up bonuses.
Does anyone know Bank of America's policy?
Last card with them was closed 3 years ago.

If the BOA card has no AF, then no harm in keeping it open for age of credit. Use it every now and then to keep it alive.

Keep working on paying off the balances! The value of any new bonuses is lost when you're paying interest (even on other cards IMO). I'm going to guess the credit card interest is higher than the student loan interest. Get the cards paid off first.

Thank you! CC interest is definitely higher than student loan interest. I chalk up my student loan payments as things I will pay forever so they barely register in my quest for making my credit work better for me.

Is this any good? I'm always confused about how much SW points are worth. We're done with CSR + CSP MSRs but want to hold off applying for something else because I want to try for SW CP later in the Fall, so meanwhile maybe I could put some spend on DH's SW card.

As far as pc'ing your BoA card, the BoA Customized Cash Rewards card is a good no AF card with a 3% category that you can select (gas, dining, travel, online shopping, drugstores, or home improvement) and 2% in grocery/warehouse clubs and 1% everywhere else. You'd lose out on the SUB but it's not that high anyways ($200 on $1000 spend).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter