I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
AMEX dining credits having issues again this month? Octobers I got the email immediately. I just used 2 of the 3 today for November and got no emails.
Used one 11/3, no email, no credit yet.
Used one last night, immediate email. Charge still pending.

Well I just saw that the Amex Delta Plat Biz has an elevated offer that ends 11/10. Amex has hated me....but I have wanted this card for awhile (I've had the gold and have the gold biz now). I've been given upgrade offers a few times, but I've wanted to get it outright.

I have about $4k more on my CIC spend. And I have the Amex retention offer on the Surpass, plus if I can spend $8k I also get another FNC. So I'm torn on adding another $3k spend to my plate. And I don't know if Amex even likes me.

Does anyone have experience using the companion ticket that comes with it? My friend says it's not a pain to use. Though do you have to wait for the 1st year to get it?

UGH.....do I make the jump? the 90K offer isn't THE highest (looks like it was 95k back in August). But it is a pretty high offer. And Delta miles are good considering the BF prefers to fly Delta, LOL.

That does make sense I guess. I was looking at it more as space not available possibly getting the coverage.
The companion certs aren’t a pain to use but you cannot use them on every flight. And they do sell out before the flight does. So if you are very flexible on flights and can plan in advance you can use them. You have to pay for the paid flight with the Amex card. Can’t use a gift card or anything. I never use mine because we always have miles to use. I am sitting on 3 of them right now for some reason.

Okay wait....on the $300 CSR Travel Credit....My AF posted 11/1. When I log into my Chase acct it says this .... " Got it! You received your $300 Annual Travel Credit this year Next year's $300 Annual Travel Credit will begin after your statement closing date in 12/2021"

So don't cancel the card yet? But will I be able to get the $300 credit and still cancel in time? It looks like my statement will close on Nov 16th. So do I wait for the reset 12/1, spend right away, and then cancel when my Nov bill is due in Dec.

Well I just saw that the Amex Delta Plat Biz has an elevated offer that ends 11/10. Amex has hated me....but I have wanted this card for awhile (I've had the gold and have the gold biz now). I've been given upgrade offers a few times, but I've wanted to get it outright.

I have about $4k more on my CIC spend. And I have the Amex retention offer on the Surpass, plus if I can spend $8k I also get another FNC. So I'm torn on adding another $3k spend to my plate. And I don't know if Amex even likes me.

Does anyone have experience using the companion ticket that comes with it? My friend says it's not a pain to use. Though do you have to wait for the 1st year to get it?

UGH.....do I make the jump? the 90K offer isn't THE highest (looks like it was 95k back in August). But it is a pretty high offer. And Delta miles are good considering the BF prefers to fly Delta, LOL.

That does make sense I guess. I was looking at it more as space not available possibly getting the coverage.

The companion certs aren’t a pain to use but you cannot use them on every flight. And they do sell out before the flight does. So if you are very flexible on flights and can plan in advance you can use them. You have to pay for the paid flight with the Amex card. Can’t use a gift card or anything. I never use mine because we always have miles to use. I am sitting on 3 of them right now for some reason.

I have the personal Delta Plat with the companion cert and have used both from the past two years and just booked this years for a flight next year. You do have to wait the year to get them but I have found them very easy to use. Now, maybe if you try to book last minute or on a really popular route they may be hard to use as they do have only so many seats marked as available to use them on per flight, but I've been fine with a little flexibility. Now, it's not as good as a free flight, using miles, since you still have to pay for one ticket but I got 2 tickets for myself and YDD to go to CA next year for $400 cash out the door. I was satisfied with that. And, I'm low on DL miles right now so it worked. Delta is our hub so we have many options a year to use the certificate too.

Love cruises and I would love to hear your feedback on Viking. We’ve done 20 cruises with DCL and are now just deciding to branch out and cheat on the mouse. We do have the Panama Canal in 4 months and the Wish Maiden Voyage booked in June as the last of our planned Disney cruises. Next month we are going to try out the adults only Virgin Scarlet Lady and late next year will be our first cruise with Celebrity as we have the all suites Flora booked for a Galapagos cruise. I’ve been on one Carnival and one RCCL cruise before and wasn’t especially impressed. I thought the service and food was way better on DCL. Since you sound like an experienced cruiser, your thoughts on other lines would be appreciated

This will be our first cruise with Viking, so feedback on them will come once we return. We know a lot of experienced cruisers- and one recently went on a cruise with them and said they blew away Celebrity and Crystal- so we are excited to try them. Out of our next 6 already booked cruises- 5 are with Viking. The Panama Canal next week that ends in Ft. Lauderdale (followed by 2 weeks doing Orlando/Tampa theme parks and the beach- woohoo), France river cruise in May, Grand European river cruise in October, Egypt in December, and one of those long Mediterranean cruises late spring 2023. After the France cruise- which is the southern part of France- we will take a train to Paris and spend a week there before coming home. The Egypt cruise is on the Viking Osiris- and it is the first river boat they have built with the Explorer Suite in the front, so we are looking forward to having an ES in the front on the river boats. ES on their ocean vessels are both forward and aft. A lot of people like it aft, but we prefer the front. Since Viking’s biggest suites are in the back on most of their river boats we will stay back there when necessary- as the engine noise doesn’t compare to that of a big ship steaming flat out over the ocean. The Egypt cruise was supposed to start in a couple of weeks- but the boat isn’t finished being built due to COVID so we had to put if off a year.

We are Platinum Plus with NCL. That's as high as you can get with them except Ambassador- and that level takes like a gazillion cruises. We met one of the Ambassadors on a recent cruise- apparently there are only a handful of them- so doubt we will ever get there- but never say never. Anyway, we do a Baltic cruise with NCL shortly before the Grand European with Viking. That will allow us a few days in Copenhagen after that cruise, and a few days in Amsterdam before the Viking one starts. After the Viking ends- we will spend about a week in Venice. Viking does a post in Prague, but instead of a 5 1/2 drive to get there, we will hop on a plane in Budapest and go to Venice instead since it isn't part of the Mediterranean cruise- and that city is higher up on our list than Prague. We are leaving a spot next year for what my wife calls ‘the wild card trips’- and we will just decide at the last minute to go somewhere, make arrangements- and go. She is more spontaneous than me- I am the planner- so she likes to take a trip now and then without plans to take me out of my comfort zone, and they work out just fine.

So- onto why we like NCL. We are debt free- and are grateful for those that came before us and left a legacy, and we plan to do the same. I don’t usually talk about this kind of stuff- but it is relevant here. NCL is ‘freestyle cruising’. Although we have money- we aren’t country club type of people (although we live in one). There’s nothing wrong with that lifestyle-it just isn’t us. We like to stay in suites and have a butler to meet our needs- but we want to do so hanging out in our sweatpants if we want to. We also don’t like dressing up for formal nights- or to go to dinner. I will wear a collared shirt and some Tommy Bahama stretch linen pants to dinner- but the last time I wore a blazer and tie (don’t own a suit) was decades ago for the Chef’s Table at V&A. We don’t go to the ‘meet the captain and crew’ socials either- just not our thing. By the way, those Tommy Bahama stretch linen pants will change your life- highly recommend them. For any guys reading this, try Bonobos stretch pants in various styles- excellent comfort with a dressier look. Back on track… We are both mostly vegetarian, so despite having access to a private restaurant in the Haven we often eat from the buffet. Some of the time we will go to the buffet to get a bunch of fresh, grilled, and/or steamed veggies and take them up to the other restaurant and order something else to go with them. The specialty restaurants are quite good for the most part, and when we feel like something other than vegetables we will head to the Brazilian Steakhouse for their unusual cold bar, specialty soup, and a small taste of some of the different meats they present tableside on a skewer. Their signature French restaurant is quite good, too, and the quality far surpasses those at Disney. For a change, we eat a vegetable stir fry and some spring rolls at the Asian restaurant - or go to the Teppanyaki Grill for a vegetarian meal and a show. Since we are pretty high up their loyally totem pole, we get a lot of free wine and champagne and whatnot. Since we don’t drink, for whoever happens to be our neighbor it becomes their lucky day. We are very casual people that like to travel in comfortable, somewhat casual clothing- and NCL fits that bill. Viking will be a bit different, but their dress code is minimal so we are OK with the compromise. We have also been assured that they can meet our dietary needs despite not having a salad bar or buffet.

We both do some work from home- but for me it is more to stay busy that anything else. My wife writes, and is publishing some books next year- so her work goal is to make a positive impact in that way. I have taken a lot of travel writing coursework- and miscellaneous fiction, non-fiction, romance and memoir writing courses to learn how to write in those styles- but as yet have done nothing with them. Have a press pass, recorder, etc.- but with travel writing it is a whole different experience than ‘just being a tourist’. Have to do lots of research and interviews and spend time writing on the trip, so haven’t wanted to look at the world with that perspective yet. I always head out the door with my stuff and the intention to do so, though. Emailed Conde Nast yesterday to shop an article on our upcoming trip- if they are interested may finally take the plunge. Our businesses also legitimize business card acquisitions- and since my wife writes a cruise blog and is writing a book on cruising, occasionally charging a chunk of a cruise to a business card is helpful with MSR since the threshold with business credit card charges is ‘business related’- not tax deductible. So, that’s a little bit of my take on cruising- writing any more and this post would take up a page- lol.

Last edited:
I have the personal Delta Plat with the companion cert and have used both from the past two years and just booked this years for a flight next year. You do have to wait the year to get them but I have found them very easy to use. Now, maybe if you try to book last minute or on a really popular route they may be hard to use as they do have only so many seats marked as available to use them on per flight, but I've been fine with a little flexibility. Now, it's not as good as a free flight, using miles, since you still have to pay for one ticket but I got 2 tickets for myself and YDD to go to CA next year for $400 cash out the door. I was satisfied with that. And, I'm low on DL miles right now so it worked. Delta is our hub so we have many options a year to use the certificate too.

Delta is a hub here too (DTW). But I'm hoping to use my BF's Spirit benefits for myself as often as I can. I use AA to take my kids to NC every summer, but I guess that might be a possibility too. Does the companion work on a flight if it has a connection? Or only direct flights? Just thinking if I used them for NC, it's DTW->ATL->OAJ.

Okay just making sure do do this all correct before I cancel the CSR.....

1- I can use the $300 travel credit at the grocery store and get that as my travel credit, correct?
2- I have the OG Freedom, If I PC to a CFF I can get a SUB later if I want, correct? What card would you PC to?
3- Could I PC to another OG freedom, in case I want to upgrade my current OG freedom back to a CSR if needed? (and bypass the rumored year, both others have said not true anyways)
4- Does anyone know, can I use the CSR travel protection when traveling non-rev/buddy pass/ZED fare? The fine print doesn't seem to necessarily say no. I know when flying on those tickets, you get reimbursed for the flights, but I'm more thinking if I didn't make a flight (since you're stand by) and I had to get a hotel for the night. So I'd still be using the ticket, but on a flight the next day. I've asked on FB and in my pilot wife groups, mixed answers, LOL.
5- If I PC, the URs transfer to the new card, right? I have the bulk of my URs on my CSR right now. I could always transfer to one of my other cards.
1 - yes, until 12/31/21
2 - see below; I personally would keep the OG Freedom especially if you want to upgrade it to a CSR in the future. If you PC the OG Freedom to a CFF, you'll have to PC the CFF to another card if you want a SUB for the CFF.
3 - Can't PC to OG Freedom anymore, according to the last Chase supervisor I spoke with. This is what I've been dealing with for the past two weeks. It took about 11 people (regular reps and supervisors) before I had a Chase supervisor tell me the problems I've been having is because the OG Freedom is no longer available for PCs. She agreed those other people should have known and told me, and she filed a complaint. For now, I still have my CSP showing up on my account and my URs are frozen and invisible to me but Chase says the points are there. It's going to become a CFU (all I could choose between is CFU and CFF) because I want the option of getting the CFF SUB in the future.
4 - A charge has to show up on your CSR statement that shows you paid a part of your flight with the CSR. The travel protections are taken care of by a 3rd party administrator and you have to show proof of (partial or full) payment of the flight on a CSR in order to get any reimbursements for hotels/food costs incurred by a travel delay.
5 - yes
Okay wait....on the $300 CSR Travel Credit....My AF posted 11/1. When I log into my Chase acct it says this .... " Got it! You received your $300 Annual Travel Credit this year Next year's $300 Annual Travel Credit will begin after your statement closing date in 12/2021"

So don't cancel the card yet? But will I be able to get the $300 credit and still cancel in time? It looks like my statement will close on Nov 16th. So do I wait for the reset 12/1, spend right away, and then cancel when my Nov bill is due in Dec.
Per the terms you posted, it looks like you'll have to wait until after Dec 16 to use the $300 credit again. Once you get the $300 credit to your account, you can downgrade the CSR and get a prorated refund of the AF. Did the AF post at $450 or $550 for you? If you cancel before 12/1 you'll get a full refund of the AF; I think you're SOL if you cancel 12/1 or later. I don't think you'll be able to get both a $300 credit AND a full refund of the AF.

@Happy_2_B Love cruises and I would love to hear your feedback on Viking. We’ve done 20 cruises with DCL and are now just deciding to branch out and cheat on the mouse. We do have the Panama Canal in 4 months and the Wish Maiden Voyage booked in June as the last of our planned Disney cruises. Next month we are going to try out the adults only Virgin Scarlet Lady and late next year will be our first cruise with Celebrity as we have the all suites Flora booked for a Galapagos cruise. I’ve been on one Carnival and one RCCL cruise before and wasn’t especially impressed. I thought the service and food was way better on DCL. Since you sound like an experienced cruiser, your thoughts on other lines would be appreciated:flower3:
Love Cruises also and just got back from DCL one. I felt anxiety about Covid. Relaxing more each
day as no one is feeling sick. (We are vaccinated anyway).

That being said not until I was on the ship did i realize how much i miss sailing. With all the AMEX
offers I am looking to branch out also. I like the look of Virgin and I really want to try out the new
Celebrity ships but having a teen i wonder if it will feel too stuffy. My inlaws are taking my kids on
a European cruise next summer for 10 days. I'm still gauging my comfort level on cruising again. lol

1 - yes, until 12/31/21
2 - see below; I personally would keep the OG Freedom especially if you want to upgrade it to a CSR in the future. If you PC the OG Freedom to a CFF, you'll have to PC the CFF to another card if you want a SUB for the CFF.
3 - Can't PC to OG Freedom anymore, according to the last Chase supervisor I spoke with. This is what I've been dealing with for the past two weeks. It took about 11 people (regular reps and supervisors) before I had a Chase supervisor tell me the problems I've been having is because the OG Freedom is no longer available for PCs. She agreed those other people should have known and told me, and she filed a complaint. For now, I still have my CSP showing up on my account and my URs are frozen and invisible to me but Chase says the points are there. It's going to become a CFU (all I could choose between is CFU and CFF) because I want the option of getting the CFF SUB in the future.
4 - A charge has to show up on your CSR statement that shows you paid a part of your flight with the CSR. The travel protections are taken care of by a 3rd party administrator and you have to show proof of (partial or full) payment of the flight on a CSR in order to get any reimbursements for hotels/food costs incurred by a travel delay.
5 - yes

Per the terms you posted, it looks like you'll have to wait until after Dec 16 to use the $300 credit again. Once you get the $300 credit to your account, you can downgrade the CSR and get a prorated refund of the AF. Did the AF post at $450 or $550 for you? If you cancel before 12/1 you'll get a full refund of the AF; I think you're SOL if you cancel 12/1 or later. I don't think you'll be able to get both a $300 credit AND a full refund of the AF.

I don't plan on getting rid of my OG freedom unless it appears later that I can't PC back to a CSR on my new freedom. I guess I'll go for the CFU for now, since I haven't planned on getting one.

Sounds like a nightmare you've been in w/ your PC! Hope they get that fixed!

Okay, so I once the travel credit resets, I can spend the $300, and if it's past me paying the statement w/ the AF on it, I can get at least a prorated credit back? I got the $550 AF. Last year when I called I managed to get a retention offer of $150 I think, plus I got the $450 last year.

And all of this makes it seem like, I'm not doing a MDD until late December at the earliest, LOL. Which might help my earlier dilemma of possibly trying for the Amex Delta Plat Biz, LOL.

1 - yes, until 12/31/21
5 - yes

I just PC’d a CSP to a OG Freedom…this week ….the rep gave me 3 options and I’m pretty sure he called it a Chase Freedom with Ultimate Rewards

I can't remember if all the global entry talk lately was about new or renewal. I had been thinking of signing up for it instead of my nexus, but I woke up to an email from them saying I could renew and realized it expires in May, I thought it was 2023. So I went ahead and renewed for $50 and we'll see how long it takes. Unsure if I have to do an interview as I've read both it's not necessary and that it will be. But it also says it's delayed so I'll continue to get to use it for an additional 24 months past expiration, unless it renews before it expires.

I realize there's no reason to hold both, but I am thinking at some point it would make sense to switch to GE because I have more than one CC that would cover the fee and I don't think I cross the border often enough to not get hassled when using it from previous experience.

I was thinking I'd do GE now too, just so they are both in process in case Canada decides they no longer like me for some reason :rotfl2: How long have applications taken lately? I know I'll have to do an interview for it, but I'm just curious if I'm looking at 4 weeks, 4 months etc.

I just did GE a couple of months ago, it didn't take long after I applied. Maybe two weeks and I got the notification to book an interview. The interview was very quick. maybe 5 minutes, they took a photo and I received my card in a week. On my way back from Italy, it was pretty seamless. I used one of the kiosks at the immigration area and it was really fast. I highly recommend doing GE especially if you have CC that will cover the expense. On a side note about Nexus. I have family in Canada and it would have been handy to have Nexus crossing the border so I might still apply for Nexus for when we visit family.

I just did GE a couple of months ago, it didn't take long after I applied. Maybe two weeks and I got the notification to book an interview. The interview was very quick. maybe 5 minutes, they took a photo and I received my card in a week. On my way back from Italy, it was pretty seamless. I used one of the kiosks at the immigration area and it was really fast. I highly recommend doing GE especially if you have CC that will cover the expense. On a side note about Nexus. I have family in Canada and it would have been handy to have Nexus crossing the border so I might still apply for Nexus for when we visit family.

Good to I know. I just wish the ge appt weren't just m-f during reg biz hours.

Eta I should also do it now since I have the retention spend to do. It should count even though it's reimbursed correct? Maybe so clear too for that reason 😀 that's almost 200 in spend I wouldn't have to pay for.

Thank you! I do have a Chase Ink Business Preferred Card. Wasn't there another change sometime back when the Swan, Dolphin, and even ticket options were removed as an option from UR point redemptions on the Chase Portal? Just kinda wondering how long it took for that change to happen for everyone to see if applying for CSR might make some sense right now....

Do you or someone else care to share what "OTA control of your reservation" means?
OTA= Online Travel Agent. Expedia, Hotels.com,Travelocity etc. When a reservation is made through those websites that particular company is now your online travel agent, and in order to make any modifications or cancellations you have to go through that company. You can’t contact the hotel directly for changes to the reservation. You also typically don’t earn any hotel/airline loyalty program rewards with those bookings. You are also subject to the cancellation and refund policies of the OTA and not the hotel/airline. Sometimes these things can make a difference when considering your particular booking.
What @IFlossU said! The exception is most airline tickets can earn you loyalty miles. During the booking process you can usually add your FF number, or can add it later. It's more the major hotel programs decided that they didn't want to give loyalty benefits to OTA bookings. But using an OTA (or even a TA) can add a level of complexity that may not be worth the extra points. Just need to evaluate on a case by case basis.

As for how fast the changes are implemented, I'm not sure past actions would help here. IIRC Rivieria was up for several weeks before Chase caught that, but it could be any day that Chase changes the booking engine for the CSR to the new site. If you were really interested in the CSR anyway, you should be able to access the portal as soon as it pops up in your online account. Have no idea what would happen with a PC, but I'd hazard a guess the portal should change with it. (Just an internet stranger guess, haven't seen anything one way or the other yet)

Love Cruises also and just got back from DCL one. I felt anxiety about Covid. Relaxing more each
day as no one is feeling sick. (We are vaccinated anyway).

That being said not until I was on the ship did i realize how much i miss sailing. With all the AMEX
offers I am looking to branch out also. I like the look of Virgin and I really want to try out the new
Celebrity ships but having a teen i wonder if it will feel too stuffy. My inlaws are taking my kids on
a European cruise next summer for 10 days. I'm still gauging my comfort level on cruising again. lol
That's the biggie isn't it- the anxiety around it all. We just got our booster, and plan to wear masks whenever possible- but on a trip 3+ weeks long with time on the boat, Disney, SeaWorld, Busch Gardens and a lot of hotels- that underlying anxiety will be there. At some point you have to live your life, so we are taking the plunge and trust that everything we are doing will be good enough.

For those of you considering the upcoming Capital One Venture X card - I was poking around in the Cap One travel portal today and they do seem to have some Disney resorts. I picked a random week in August and saw Contemporary, BC and AofA. BC was actually cheaper on Cap One than the Disney website. The other two were more expensive. The portal is a little weird because it’s hard to know exactly what type of room you are booking, BUT I didn’t spend too much time looking at it, so maybe I just didn’t get far enough. With the Venture X having a $300 credit for travel booked through the portal and 10x on hotels booked through the portal, this could be worth at least considering!

My wife is from Canada, and we have gone up there a lot over the years. She is now a US Citizen, and we just have GE- have had it for years- and never did NEXUS. Getting in and out of the country has never been a big deal, but it takes a bit of time every now and again, and I am sure it would speed things up a bit so might be worth considering. Canada should just join GE as a standalone member instead of just through their NEXUS participation. The US participates in multiple programs, and Canada could as well.

Delta is a hub here too (DTW). But I'm hoping to use my BF's Spirit benefits for myself as often as I can. I use AA to take my kids to NC every summer, but I guess that might be a possibility too. Does the companion work on a flight if it has a connection? Or only direct flights? Just thinking if I used them for NC, it's DTW->ATL->OAJ.

No problem with connections, I've booked both flights with and without connections with my companion certificates.

What @IFlossU said! The exception is most airline tickets can earn you loyalty miles. During the booking process you can usually add your FF number, or can add it later. It's more the major hotel programs decided that they didn't want to give loyalty benefits to OTA bookings. But using an OTA (or even a TA) can add a level of complexity that may not be worth the extra points. Just need to evaluate on a case by case basis.

As for how fast the changes are implemented, I'm not sure past actions would help here. IIRC Rivieria was up for several weeks before Chase caught that, but it could be any day that Chase changes the booking engine for the CSR to the new site. If you were really interested in the CSR anyway, you should be able to access the portal as soon as it pops up in your online account. Have no idea what would happen with a PC, but I'd hazard a guess the portal should change with it. (Just an internet stranger guess, haven't seen anything one way or the other yet)

Yeah I wasn't sure if there were any data points on whether anyone with a new CSR either from a product change or new card application since the change from Expedia still see the old portal when setting up their online account or if its just showing the old portal for those who already had a CSP.

I'm not sure if it'd make sense to product change to a CSR though without the SUB that would come from a new application. I'm not 100% set in stone for Swan Reserve, etc. but am more interested in the lower point redemption that is still up through Chase for some. I'm still researching some other properties that I could cash in points on...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter