I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This whole Swan reserve thing is making me over think my plans.

We’re currently planning a week at wdw in February. I have AoA little mermaid room book.

But I had been considering swan reserve. I could book 5 nights for 210,000 bonvoy piubts and then an additional 2 nights with UR for 65,000 points.

Or I could book all 7 nights with UR for 205,000 points.

The swan reserve costs $2968 for the week. I have 330,000 UR points and 211,000 bonvoy points.

Would you pay $1900 for 7 nights at AoA, use a mix of bonvoy and UR or all UR?

I saw an Amex Offer on Goodyear tires. Think it was $50 off of $250. Combine that with the deals that come around from time to time which used to be around $200 off of 4 tires

ETA: the deals like $200 off of 4 tires come as a rebate from the tire dealer/warehouse club (assuming they still offer this occasionally)
They were running a $100 rebate offer off 4 tires which included the Bridgestone run flats that I was getting. My wallet is still wincing though! BJ's doesn't carry run flats and my hubs checked Tire Rack and while the price was slightly lower, trying to get the car to a different mechanic/garage wasn't worth the juggling it would entitle. These are the times where I miss my Acura and understand why people joke BMW stands for Break My Wallet lol. However I do admit that I love driving the X3...it really is the ultimate driving experience!

I haven't jumped into the Amex world yet and haven't seen anything tire related on my chase offers. Luckily I was able to do some good saving during the height of the pandemic.

They were running a $100 rebate offer off 4 tires which included the Bridgestone run flats that I was getting. My wallet is still wincing though! BJ's doesn't carry run flats and my hubs checked Tire Rack and while the price was slightly lower, trying to get the car to a different mechanic/garage wasn't worth the juggling it would entitle. These are the times where I miss my Acura and understand why people joke BMW stands for Break My Wallet lol. However I do admit that I love driving the X3...it really is the ultimate driving experience!

I haven't jumped into the Amex world yet and haven't seen anything tire related on my chase offers. Luckily I was able to do some good saving during the height of the pandemic.
This is so true about Acura vs. BMW. Our Acura TL was so cheap to maintenance compared to the X5. I remember replacing a gas cap for $250. Just crazy!

I just got the email for one of my AMEX dining offers that I used earlier today, but not the other.

This whole Swan reserve thing is making me over think my plans.

We’re currently planning a week at wdw in February. I have AoA little mermaid room book.

But I had been considering swan reserve. I could book 5 nights for 210,000 bonvoy piubts and then an additional 2 nights with UR for 65,000 points.

Or I could book all 7 nights with UR for 205,000 points.

The swan reserve costs $2968 for the week. I have 330,000 UR points and 211,000 bonvoy points.

Would you pay $1900 for 7 nights at AoA, use a mix of bonvoy and UR or all UR?

I would probably save your URs, since I value those so highly. I would burn those Marriott points asap on the Reserve. Perhaps pay for the other two nts with cash or an AAA rate?

You could book the refundable rate for 2 nts with URs, while you decide. Also, I’d keep an eye on rates, as they fluctuate and you might be able to rebook at cheaper.

Alternatively, I don’t know how you feel about a split stay. 5 nts and 2 nts probably doesn’t make much sense, hey?

I would probably save your URs, since I value those so highly. I would burn those Marriott points asap on the Reserve. Perhaps pay for the other two nts with cash or an AAA rate?

You could book the refundable rate for 2 nts with URs, while you decide. Also, I’d keep an eye on rates, as they fluctuate and you might be able to rebook at cheaper.

Alternatively, I don’t know how you feel about a split stay. 5 nts and 2 nts probably doesn’t make much sense, hey?

Absolutely burn those Marriott points and if you want cash free, use the 65K UR for the remaining 2 nights.

Enjoy your trip!

Okay, so I once the travel credit resets, I can spend the $300, and if it's past me paying the statement w/ the AF on it, I can get at least a prorated credit back?

CSR travel credit resets on membership year, so you should have a 30 day window to use it again and still qualify for a full AF refund (this is the "double dip" that wipes out the AF). I always use a refundable Southwest Flight to immediately trigger the whole $300 (then cancel after it posts the credit).

Tire Rack came to me when I needed new tires in September. Is that not an option?

This is so true about Acura vs. BMW. Our Acura TL was so cheap to maintenance compared to the X5. I remember replacing a gas cap for $250. Just crazy!
DS chose a 2018 TLX (it's really nice--a gazillion times nicer than my Odyssey). Glad to hear it hopefully will be cheap like DD and my Hondas to maintain. He kept showing me 4-5 year old BMWs and Mercedes in the same price range and I explained over and over why European was not an option!

For those of you considering the upcoming Capital One Venture X card - I was poking around in the Cap One travel portal today and they do seem to have some Disney resorts. I picked a random week in August and saw Contemporary, BC and AofA. BC was actually cheaper on Cap One than the Disney website. The other two were more expensive. The portal is a little weird because it’s hard to know exactly what type of room you are booking, BUT I didn’t spend too much time looking at it, so maybe I just didn’t get far enough. With the Venture X having a $300 credit for travel booked through the portal and 10x on hotels booked through the portal, this could be worth at least considering!
I have never even heard of this card and I have the regular capital venture (which by the way I have
never had a problem with). You would think they would have emailed/mailed with some info about
this card. Off to do research lol.

CSR travel credit resets on membership year, so you should have a 30 day window to use it again and still qualify for a full AF refund (this is the "double dip" that wipes out the AF). I always use a refundable Southwest Flight to immediately trigger the whole $300 (then cancel after it posts the credit).

The original CSRs reset their travel credit on calendar year not membership year. That is why it said after the December statement. I can’t remember when it changed but definitely anyone who had it in first year or 2 are reset on calendar year.

DS chose a 2018 TLX (it's really nice--a gazillion times nicer than my Odyssey). Glad to hear it hopefully will be cheap like DD and my Hondas to maintain. He kept showing me 4-5 year old BMWs and Mercedes in the same price range and I explained over and over why European was not an option!
Our TL is a 2004 that we gave to my mom and it is still going strong.

Would like some advice from the experts on this board.
I followed your advice this summer and got the Chase CSP credit card for my husband and myself. We reached our spending limits, and each have reached the 100,000 points due to some hefty medical bills we paid off. Right now, we have a low 800 credit score and carry no credit card balance or mortgage balance. We normally fly Southwest because of their customer of size policy, and we have each had their own credit cards for years. We love to travel and normally do not pay for air fare. We are considering Europe once Covid restrictions ease.
What would be the next credit we should consider that we would be able to transfer to airlines and hotels. (We do have the Chase Marriott and Hyatt that I keep open since the free yearly night does save a bit when we travel).
Thanks for any input

What to share my good news! We received the official word on Fri that we will be doing full-time telework with re-entry. DH’s message, different component, said 3-5 days so we will have to wait to see how he makes out. So excited not to returning! I am going to take home all of my personal things when I pick up my new laptop next month.

What to share my good news! We received the official word on Fri that we will be doing full-time telework with re-entry. DH’s message, different component, said 3-5 days so we will have to wait to see how he makes out. So excited not to returning! I am going to take home all of my personal things when I pick up my new laptop next month.
Such great news. I still go in 1-2 days a week (optional), but honestly I love working from home and going into the office gives me PTSD (drama, commute, exhaustion, etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter