• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a friend (not on here) who has successfully used rental of DVC points as a Chase Business. It falls more under the tourism side rather than actual upkeep of property which is what I imagine Chase worries about when they look at rentals as a business. You could consider that. I don't know how much they are doing it these days but you want something that you would feel comfortable talking to a rep about if you had too. I had to do that a couple years ago. I got through it and was approved but it was not the best experience. Since then Chase Business cards stress me out (probably more than they should). Amex at least could care less about the nature of the business.

As to your issue on the Amex business cards I would not get the Business Gold until you have explored the other cards that are possibilities for MR. It is not a high offer right now and it is not a long term keeper card. You would pay the AF without much benefit and the retention offers are usually nothing spectacular. If you cancelled it right at the year and don't have a huge history with Amex it could put you in the mysterious pop up algorithm..
Interesting to learn that DVC rental is under the tourism umbrella (prolly still not a great category right now, but allows me to have a different Sole Prop. business).

So talking this through has completely changed my original perspective. I'm now sold on going for a Chase biz card ... prolly the CIU since I have two CICs already. I think I'm still better trying for the hit-or-miss Rental House biz, vice the $700 DVC tourism rental biz (I could reasonably claim $1k income over about 10 years though).

Companion passes with the extended June 30 2021 expiration are being extended to Dec ‘21 expiration! From an email I just now received! Yay!
Of course I logged into our acct,it still says exprires in June...hope it updates,then we *might* get some use out of it later on!

I just called Amex regarding my Gold card. I've already paid the annual fee and I'm probably going to keep this card through 2021.

My call was to get an explanation of the new benefit with Uber Eats. So, you sign up for the Uber Eats at 9.99 a month. Then you get 'free delivery and 5% off your order'.

At the moment it seems most of what we order goes through Door Dash, and usually our 'fast food' - ie Chick fil a, Panera, Chipotle and a few others are delivered very quickly - under 30 minutes. Looking at the online website it's quoting 50 minutes to get Panera. 45 minutes for Starbucks (which I wouldn't order). So, depending on how often we used this service, Amex would pay 9.99 on my behalf, and I would save a delivery fee of $1.49 to 4.99 from what I can see, each time I ordered plus about a $1 on the actual order. So, basically a small discount for each order.

It's difficult to determine if this is a 'plus' for me. When I input 'pickup' all the options got grayed out with 'no couriers available'. Of course I understand I'm not signed up or logged in.

One thing that I noticed is that the actual Uber Cash goes away effectively if you do Uber Eats since this is a subscription service. And, the Amex website is still saying Uber Cash is available 'coming soon' and add your card to your Uber wallet, but seem to be putting the emphasis on becoming an Uber eats member.

So, I don't like this promo. I'm going to take advantage of the airline credit later this year and toss this card. I'll probably do the sign up for the Uber Eats and then trash it at years end when my card is again up for renewal.

I'm a little tired of the nickel and dime on the Gold card. I can always use it for ice scraping I guess.
I'm not happy with the benefits on that card either. I never take advantage of the $10 restaurant benefit either. I hate cheesecake factory (and nothing else works either). My only problem is that it's my oldest card. I'm wondering if there's anything AF free that I can downgrade to.
I like the card and plan to take advantage of all of the major Gold benefits:

* $120 Cheesecake Factory (and a few others) credit ($10 per month). I pick up $10 GCs and save up for dinner.
* $100 airline incidentals credit (benefit ends at the end of 2021). As long as our summer vacation goes as planned.
* $120 Uber/Eats credit ($10 per month). I'll order Uber Eats for pickup. Benefit begins sometime in "early" 2021
........ Plus I'll take the 5% discount when orders are over $15. I probably won't do the delivery option. Plenty of places I like, some within walking distance.

That's up to $340 credit on a $250 AF card during 2021 for me, not to mention 4x on dining and grocery.

ETA: I got the Uber Eats Pass (I think that's what it's called) free for a year with the Amex Plat, so that helps, if you're saying it will cost you $10 per month with the Gold to have free delivery. Plus I'm assuming that I'll get the Plat and Gold Uber credits (for a combined $25/month and $45 in December).

Last edited:
I don't think that is greedy at all. I actually think it would be more than fair. The people who got what is now a 12 month extension at least had normal travel in 2019 to be able to use their companion pass. Anyone like me that got it in early 2020 for 20/21 have had no "normal travel" time to use the pass.
Exactly! Although I did use the heck out of DH’s in 2020.

:headache::headache::headache: Ok here's a question.... I've been using cff for 5x grocery (1st year) on my walmart online curb pickup orders..... its coded as grocery,but only getting 1x points? why? should I be sm'ing?

I like the card and plan to take advantage of all of the major Gold benefits:

* $120 Cheesecake Factory (and a few others) credit ($10 per month). I pick up $10 GCs and save up for dinner.
* $100 airline incidentals credit (benefit ends at the end of 2021). As long as our summer vacation goes as planned.
* $120 Uber/Eats credit ($10 per month). I order Uber Eats for pickup. Benefit begins sometime in "early" 2021
........ Plus I'll take the 5% discount when orders are over $15. I probably won't do the delivery option. Plenty of places I like to eat from.

That's up to $340 credit on a $250 AF card during 2021, not to mention 4x on dining and grocery.
Right. That makes sense, but for me, the only benefit I can use, the $100 airline credit, is going away.

:headache::headache::headache: Ok here's a question.... I've been using cff for 5x grocery (1st year) on my walmart online curb pickup orders..... its coded as grocery,but only getting 1x points? why? should I be sm'ing?
Different Walmart charges get coded differently. That’s what chase told me before when I asked about getting points. Are you sure it’s not giving them to you as bonus points

Right. That makes sense, but for me, the only benefit I can use, the $100 airline credit, is going away.
Yep, since you can't use the others I agree it's not worth it for you. I don't travel commercially much, so the card is looking even better for me.

I wonder if when they drop the airline credit after December, if they would be willing to offer a retention bonus? Kinda doubtful, and it would just postpone the inevitable for you.

Different Walmart charges get coded differently. That’s what chase told me before when I asked about getting points. Are you sure it’s not giving them to you as bonus points
it was giving me the 5x as stated for a while, just noticed this from last weeks bill.... it's literally called wm grocery,and it's actual groceries,and coded as grocery!

Yep, since you can't use the others I agree it's not worth it for you. I don't travel commercially much, so the card is looking even better for me.

I wonder if when they drop the airline credit after December, if they would be willing to offer a retention bonus? Kinda doubtful, and it would just postpone the inevitable for you.
I do like the 4x on groceries and restaurants and it is my oldest card. I will try for another retention bonus when AF posts, but that's really doubtful.

I'm planning to offset the DVC rental for our Disney trip next year using PYB to buy GC to cover our groceries for awhile. I'm going to be cashing out about 250K URs, so I won't do it all at once, but is there a general amount of GC I should buy at once that won't be too much of a hassle and require manager approval? Is there still hope that Disney tickets might be bookable through the portal later this year, or should I also try to work on a stockpile of Disney GC to buy tickets with later?
I bought $2k yesterday and it triggered them having to see ID and then I had to go to customer service and have them fill out a form with all of my information so they could report the purchase. The lady said $2k or more was the trigger. So I will stay under that in the future to avoid that. That was at Stop&Shop in RI.

I wish they would extend the ones ending Dec '21 but I'm probably being greedy.
I'm hoping for that as well. It's been a wasted CP for 2020 and I doubt I'll be using it in 2021 either.
I don't think that is greedy at all. I actually think it would be more than fair. The people who got what is now a 12 month extension at least had normal travel in 2019 to be able to use their companion pass. Anyone like me that got it in early 2020 for 20/21 have had no "normal travel" time to use the pass.
Keep in mind though that the usual way to earn a CP is to earn it throughout the year for the following year. So Southwest doesn't look at it as you missing 10-11 months of your CP in 2020. You earned your 2021 CP, which is available to you for all of 2021. Having it for the remainder of 2020 is a "bonus" of sorts. I'm not suggesting that they won't extend it, but they're under no obligation to do so considering that they've delivered the benefit to you at this point. I'm actually somewhat surprised they did the June extension - but Southwest does tremendous things to please their customers! So let's stay tuned and see what happens!

A few questions related to Hyatt and would appreciate feedback. I've received my new Hyatt card (finally!) and am prepping for a stay. I'm rethinking using cash and will transfer some UR from my CSP to only stay on points. I am a new cardmember so I earned the 10 nights for 2021 and will meet my first MSR for the first 25,000 bonus before the end of January.

1) Can someone check my thought process here to make sure I'm accurate?
Transfer 35,000 = 7 nights
Earn 25% back in points promo = 8,750 = 1 night
Earn 25,000 in SUB points= 5 nights (use only 2 of these during double night promo prior to 2/28)
10 nights needed for Globalist = 26,250 net cost for me in points

Is it reasonable to expect that I'll get the 25% back in points from my January stay to use in February?
Is it reasonable to expect that the 25,000 bonus points will be deposited in time for me to use in February?

2) If my spouse will be traveling in March and staying at a Hyatt, could he benefit from my Hyatt status? *I'm going to assume no here, but just double checking especially if I end up earning Globalist in February.

Thanks in advance!
I found this on r/churning regarding when the 25% point rebate posts - Looks like it ranges from 2-10 business days. Does that work for your plans?

Do you know your statement closing date? I would check with Chase on that, especially since you had that hiccup with getting your physical card. In order for the 25K SUB to show up, your MSR of $3000 will need to be completed by the closing statement date. I try to have it done several days prior to closing date to make sure there's enough time for the transactions to post. If you wait until the closing date to make the transaction that gets you to your MSR, you'll be waiting another month.

I've been mathing out my mattress runs, and cash is working out the best for me, although it really depends on how much you value a Hyatt point. If I can redeem above 1.5 cpp then paying cash makes more sense because of the current 3x Bonus Journeys promo (I believe today is the last day to register).

(Targeted) Am Ex Offer for Hyatt came out today: Save $60 when spending $300 at Hyatt. Both DH & I have this, and I put it on our Am Ex Greens so that will help a lot with my next mattress run.

Last edited:
Ok - proper news credit has been given on the DISchurners NEWS thread... but I want to make sure we highlight these facts today:

SOUTHWEST COMPANION PASS NEWS:

1) For our current Companion Pass Members who received an extension of their earned Companion Pass benefits through June 30, 2021, we are extending your benefits another six months.* You can now enjoy Companion Pass through December 31, 2021!

2) For all Rapid Rewards® Members with a Rapid Rewards account opened by December 31, 2020...we’re giving you:
• 15,000 tier qualifying points (TQPs)**
• 25,000 Companion Pass qualifying points (CPQPs)**
• 10 qualifying flight credits toward A-List and A-List Preferred
• 25 qualifying flights toward Companion Pass

So this means that you can now earn a 2022 Companion Pass with just 100,000 SW points! AS A REMINDER: There are elevated Southwest Offers out there that expire on 2/8/2021. Here's a recap of those offers (which are available via support link on DISchurners):

1) Chase Southwest Personal Cards; 3 options - Plus, Premier, Priority: Offer details = Earn up to 80,000 SW RR points. Earn 50,000 points after spending $2,000 in the first 3 months PLUS, earn an additional 30,000 points after you spend $10,000 total in the first 9 months. This is an ALL-TIME HIGH offer on these cards.

2) Chase Southwest PERFORMANCE Business Card - Earn up to 100,000 SW RR points. Earn 70,000 points after spending $5,000 in the first 3 months PLUS, earn an additional 30,000 points after you spend $25,000 total in the first 6 months.

3) Chase Southwest PREMIER Business Card - Earn 60,000 points after spending $3,000 in the first 3 months.

IF using a support link, make sure to hit APPLY on the correct card.

Also worth noting, each of these offers shows an additional kicker: PLUS earn 5 points per $1 spent on up to $2,000 per month in Southwest purchases between in Jan/Feb/Mar.

So IF you receive the 25,000 CPQPs, you could now earn a CP via a MDD of 2 personal cards WITHOUT hitting the higher tier of spend. OR you could earn a CP from just the SW Performance Biz if you have really high spend (this was actually already the case).

I'm not sure if I'll be updating the "Fireside Chat on Companion Pass" to reflect this info since it won't necessarily apply to everybody (i.e. if you didn't have a SW account at 12/31).

Basically a whole bunch of new strategies have potentially appeared on the scene here!

Last edited:
Companion passes with the extended June 30 2021 expiration are being extended to Dec ‘21 expiration! From an email I just now received! Yay!
Yeah!!! I got my email. Really happy because if we do fly, I have a trip planned for July. I was bummed it ended in June. That said, my probability of flying is less than 50%. But I like having hope (and cheaper flights).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter