I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any recommendations for family friendly, moderately priced dining? I'm open to making reservations, but a lot of the places I'm finding online don't take them. Thank you!
So this is contrary to my advice to make reservations because the places we made them weren’t necessarily “moderately priced,” but for walk ups - Coconuts was good and easy-ish to get into early but not ungodly early (I think we went around 5 or so). And Waikiki Brewing Company at Shops at Wailea was good (we had lunch there), and didn’t *seem* to be full most of the times we walked by later. You could always do a search in Open Table and see what choices come up.

So I was finally approved for barclay biz card after receiving a 7-10 message (applied on 6/20). I was just ready to give up and move on...

So now I’m looking for advice on a card to sign DH up for.
Last 24 months
CSP 9/20
Southwest 1/20 (closed 6/21)
Citi AA 9/19 (closed 6/21).
Only other open card is Amex Blue (5/15)

We are hoping to visit Alaska next June for a week so I’m looking for the best card for hotels. I’m considering the IHG 150k offer for him but not sure if there’s something better out there.

Just an FYI - “DH” applied for the second card in a SW MDD today. I - er, I mean he - got the “we need more time” message. The noteworthy thing is that I called the Chase application status number, and actually got a status update! (It was “two weeks,” which Google tells me is a likely approval 🤞🤞). The status number hasn’t worked for me for ages, and I know other folks have had problems with it too, so thought I’d share that maybe it’s working again.

Any recommendations for family friendly, moderately priced dining? I'm open to making reservations, but a lot of the places I'm finding online don't take them. Thank you!
as a last resort if you don't find a local place the little ABC shop ate the shops had a decent deli section with lots of daily choices from breakfast onward, my YA sons preferred just going there and grabbing food much of our visit

Just an FYI - “DH” applied for the second card in a SW MDD today. I - er, I mean he - got the “we need more time” message. The noteworthy thing is that I called the Chase application status number, and actually got a status update! (It was “two weeks,” which Google tells me is a likely approval 🤞🤞). The status number hasn’t worked for me for ages, and I know other folks have had problems with it too, so thought I’d share that maybe it’s working again.
I'm pretty sure he needs to call today to have the second card approved.

So this is contrary to my advice to make reservations because the places we made them weren’t necessarily “moderately priced,” but for walk ups - Coconuts was good and easy-ish to get into early but not ungodly early (I think we went around 5 or so). And Waikiki Brewing Company at Shops at Wailea was good (we had lunch there), and didn’t *seem* to be full most of the times we walked by later. You could always do a search in Open Table and see what choices come up.
I was also going to recommend Coconuts! They have an extensive menu. My picky eater got spaghetti there and loved it! We also ate at Bistro Molokini and really liked it. The kids menu has the usual kid friendly options. I think we were able to snag a same day reservation there, but this was two years ago, at Christmas though so it was a busy time. Do not get the pizza from Cafe Kula’s, it was gross.

Haha! I'll be on the lookout for you to say hi! We'll be the family that has no clue what we're doing because for some reason I am very unprepared for this trip! I think because of all of the uncertainty with travel/testing I just wasn't sure it would happen. That and my kiddos just aren't that excited for it. My DD8 kept asking if she has to go. I'm like really? Do you know how much planning I did to make it happen and how lucky we are to get to go?!? She's just really dreading the 8 hour flight. My DS10 is somewhat excited, so I just hope we have great time and if nothing else can enjoy GW! We usually go to WDW every summer and it's always go go go so I'm looking forward to a more relaxed trip.
Have you shown them any YouTube videos of the resort? I think once they see it they will be excited!

I wish! I had it on my list for both the Wailea and Ka’anapali locations - the waits were absolutely insane, and my family is not what you’d call “patient” 😂
My husband dreams of the Monkeypod Mai Tais! There’s one on Oahu, in Ko’Olina right across from Aulani. Unfortunately they aren’t taking reservations right now. I’ve heard your best bet is going during happy hour, before the dinner rush. Its really out of the way though if you’re not planning on being in that vicinity. We plan on stopping by on our way back from the north shore.

My husband dreams of the Monkeypod Mai Tais! There’s one on Oahu, in Ko’Olina right across from Aulani. Unfortunately they aren’t taking reservations right now. I’ve heard your best bet is going during happy hour, before the dinner rush. Its really out of the way though if you’re not planning on being in that vicinity. We plan on stopping by on our way back from the north shore.
yessss. Monkeypod mai tais are totally worth planning around.... we hit it in Wailea like 5 minutes before happy hour started - it was sooooo busy by the time we left but it was great!

I'm pretty sure he needs to call today to have the second card approved.

Not just pretty sure, but he needs to call today and get that approval pushed through. You can't wait. You can only wait on an approval on the 1st card. The 2nd card of an MDD HAS to be approved the day following the 1st approval.

Not just pretty sure, but he needs to call today and get that approval pushed through. You can't wait. You can only wait on an approval on the 1st card. The 2nd card of an MDD HAS to be approved the day following the 1st approval.
UGH. Having an unwilling P2 is the worst. I just convinced him to actually call (with me listening on speaker), but he wouldn’t push it once they said “it’s under review and you should hear in a couple of days.” Oh well. The MDD was really just a last minute thought anyway.

UGH. Having an unwilling P2 is the worst. I just convinced him to actually call (with me listening on speaker), but he wouldn’t push it once they said “it’s under review and you should hear in a couple of days.” Oh well. The MDD was really just a last minute thought anyway.

Next time he needs to call for something just have him start it and then give you permission to talk with them, then you can do the call :)

Question for those familiar with dvc properties. DS is getting married in March and headed to WDW for their honeymoon. They were just going to book through wdw but looks like they could save a lot of $ renting dvc. It’s something we’ve never done before so just wondering- is our best best to look at David’s and dvcrental? I’m not quite comfortable going through FB or anything like that so want to stick with someone established with a good reputation. Looking at costs, besides SSR and OKW it looks like AK is most affordable. Next best is BLT. I’m thinking BLT would be best only because of proximity to monorail but beyond that I have no idea. Any thoughts on the pros and cons of each of those would be appreciated! Also, anything to be wary of with renting besides no ability to cancel for refund?

Question for those familiar with dvc properties. DS is getting married in March and headed to WDW for their honeymoon. They were just going to book through wdw but looks like they could save a lot of $ renting dvc. It’s something we’ve never done before so just wondering- is our best best to look at David’s and dvcrental? I’m not quite comfortable going through FB or anything like that so want to stick with someone established with a good reputation. Looking at costs, besides SSR and OKW it looks like AK is most affordable. Next best is BLT. I’m thinking BLT would be best only because of proximity to monorail but beyond that I have no idea. Any thoughts on the pros and cons of each of those would be appreciated! Also, anything to be wary of with renting besides no ability to cancel for refund?
We just secured a rental for the first time a couple days ago. Our trip is in January. We used dvc rental store and it went very well! We booked at the poly because we could never stay there paying cash. It ended up being $366/night for a studio which I think is great! I liked dvc rental store more than David’s because their availability chart is super easy to use. I would definitely use them again. They secured our reservation really fast. It took maybe 2 days

Haha! I'll be on the lookout for you to say hi! We'll be the family that has no clue what we're doing because for some reason I am very unprepared for this trip! I think because of all of the uncertainty with travel/testing I just wasn't sure it would happen. That and my kiddos just aren't that excited for it. My DD8 kept asking if she has to go. I'm like really? Do you know how much planning I did to make it happen and how lucky we are to get to go?!? She's just really dreading the 8 hour flight. My DS10 is somewhat excited, so I just hope we have great time and if nothing else can enjoy GW! We usually go to WDW every summer and it's always go go go so I'm looking forward to a more relaxed trip.

I am thinking about booking the 2 hour kayak/snorkel tour that leaves from the GW beach. Did you consider that one? 2 hours seems about right for my crew. I booked a 3 hour dolphin watch and snorkel excursion on Oahu and my DH was like 3 hours?!? Good thing I didn't book a full day Road to Hana!

I haven't booked any dining ressies, but honestly my DD is a very picky eater, and we overall have pretty simple tastes so I think we'll just wing it. My DH is the only one of us who really eats fish/seafood, and he's pretty limited on what he likes too so I think a lot of the sought after places would be lost on us. I did check out Morimoto's menu for his restaurant on Oahu and I think we'll try to eat there.

Oh, one other thing I did reserve is a photo session on the beach at GW. The session is free but the pics are expensive! I've always wanted family pics on the beach so we're going to do it. If nothing else I can buy the single pic for $89 😁

I don't know what it was, but my family was not excited to go to Hawaii either. Kids are similar ages, 7 and 11. I do think it's the unknown and the very, very long flight. But we had a great time when we went in the spring.

As far as dining without reservations:

Monkeypod is right up the road from GW. They have a super great happy hour which will make your kids happy (pizza, wings, french fries). They aren't taking reservations right now, so I would just arrive on the early side. It's near some stores so worst thing if there's a wait, you can just wander around.

HAPPY HOUR

3:30PM - 5:00PM
*with the exception of select holidays
DRINK SPECIALS

Draft Beers - $2 off
Wines by the Glass - $3 off
All Handcrafted Culinary Cocktails - $5 off
Maui Ocean Vodka Cocktail - $7
(On the rocks your way)
FOOD SPECIALS
Appetizers - 1/2 off
(With the exception of poke tacos, lomilomi & lobster deviled eggs)
Pizzas - $10

The other meal we really liked was Leoda's Kitchen and Pie Shop. Super cute place (almost looks like a country store) and delicious food. It's order and go, at least in the Spring, so no reservations needed. Might be open for dine in now. There's a general store next door, perfect for grabbing those kids some souvenirs. Too birds with one outing.

For a relaxing vacation, we were fine with the dining options at the Grand Wailea. Food truck, the quick service place and poolside dining. I just wouldn't wait until you're hangry, because the pace is rather slow.

We used a photographer through the resort once on vacation and loved the photos. You'll have your holiday photo, easy peasy!

We loved, loved, loved the pools. You'll have a great time!

We rent DVC points for most of our trips. Besides the con you mentioned of not being able to change your reservation, we’ve never encountered any issues renting points, it has always been a great experience and saved us tons of money!

We’ve used both the established agencies in the past without issue, recently DVC rental store bumped prices up a smidge, so we’ve done our last 2 reservations through David’s. This website is helpful to see what resorts have availability. Typically the less expensive rooms/ views get booked quickly, so booking as far in advance as possible helps!

https://tools.dvcvacations.com/points-calculator
We honeymooned at AKL almost 13 years ago, and love it, but it is quite a trek to the parks & dining at other resorts from there. I’d consider a split stay or a resort more central to all the parks, unless they plan to be at the parks all day without breaks.

We just secured a rental for the first time a couple days ago. Our trip is in January. We used dvc rental store and it went very well! We booked at the poly because we could never stay there paying cash. It ended up being $366/night for a studio which I think is great! I liked dvc rental store more than David’s because their availability chart is super easy to use. I would definitely use them again. They secured our reservation really fast. It took maybe 2 days
We rent DVC points for most of our trips. Besides the con you mentioned of not being able to change your reservation, we’ve never encountered any issues renting points, it has always been a great experience and saved us tons of money!

We’ve used both the established agencies in the past without issue, recently DVC rental store bumped prices up a smidge, so we’ve done our last 2 reservations through David’s. This website is helpful to see what resorts have availability. Typically the less expensive rooms/ views get booked quickly, so booking as far in advance as possible helps!

https://tools.dvcvacations.com/points-calculator
We honeymooned at AKL almost 13 years ago, and love it, but it is quite a trek to the parks & dining at other resorts from there. I’d consider a split stay or a resort more central to all the parks, unless they plan to be at the parks all day without breaks.
Thanks for your thoughts. DS will graduate college in the spring and just was offered (and accepted) a job as a software developer by the company he’s interning for this summer. Very exciting but he still is trying to do their wedding and honeymoon modestly. The fiancé has never been to WDW at all so they were planning to stay at ASMo because of the classic Disney theming. DH and I are thinking we’ll pay the difference for the upgrade since it is their honeymoon, and we could save so much by renting. I just feel nervous renting I guess because we never have before. Would booking and paying with a CSR give us trip cancellation insurance? I really don’t see much reason that it would get cancelled since it’s for a honeymoon outside of sickness/injury.

Thanks for your thoughts. DS will graduate college in the spring and just was offered (and accepted) a job as a software developer by the company he’s interning for this summer. Very exciting but he still is trying to do their wedding and honeymoon modestly. The fiancé has never been to WDW at all so they were planning to stay at ASMo because of the classic Disney theming. DH and I are thinking we’ll pay the difference for the upgrade since it is their honeymoon, and we could save so much by renting. I just feel nervous renting I guess because we never have before. Would booking and paying with a CSR give us trip cancellation insurance? I really don’t see much reason that it would get cancelled since it’s for a honeymoon outside of sickness/injury.
We booked with our CSR but I’m not sure if it actually gives us insurance or not. The no cancellation has always stopped us from renting but we’re local now. If we for some reason get really sick or something like that I guess we just don’t go

as a last resort if you don't find a local place the little ABC shop ate the shops had a decent deli section with lots of daily choices from breakfast onward, my YA sons preferred just going there and grabbing food much of our visit
It's so funny that you posted that because I was talking to my DH about where we're going to eat while we're there, etc and he said if nothing else we can just grab something from the ABC store!

I was also going to recommend Coconuts! They have an extensive menu. My picky eater got spaghetti there and loved it! We also ate at Bistro Molokini and really liked it. The kids menu has the usual kid friendly options. I think we were able to snag a same day reservation there, but this was two years ago, at Christmas though so it was a busy time. Do not get the pizza from Cafe Kula’s, it was gross.

Have you shown them any YouTube videos of the resort? I think once they see it they will be excited!

Thank you for the suggestions! We'll definitely check those out!

No, I haven't shown them any videos but that's a great idea! I haven't looked up too many myself as I kind of like an element of surprise. I will say as it's getting closer they are getting a little more excited so I'm feeling a little better about it. Also I was researching the covid testing at Walgreens and they have a rapid test that Hawaii accepts (results in 1 day or less) so I'm less stressed about the kids getting their results back in time.

I don't know what it was, but my family was not excited to go to Hawaii either. Kids are similar ages, 7 and 11. I do think it's the unknown and the very, very long flight. But we had a great time when we went in the spring.

As far as dining without reservations:

Monkeypod is right up the road from GW. They have a super great happy hour which will make your kids happy (pizza, wings, french fries). They aren't taking reservations right now, so I would just arrive on the early side. It's near some stores so worst thing if there's a wait, you can just wander around.

HAPPY HOUR

3:30PM - 5:00PM
*with the exception of select holidays
DRINK SPECIALS

Draft Beers - $2 off
Wines by the Glass - $3 off
All Handcrafted Culinary Cocktails - $5 off
Maui Ocean Vodka Cocktail - $7
(On the rocks your way)
FOOD SPECIALS
Appetizers - 1/2 off
(With the exception of poke tacos, lomilomi & lobster deviled eggs)
Pizzas - $10

The other meal we really liked was Leoda's Kitchen and Pie Shop. Super cute place (almost looks like a country store) and delicious food. It's order and go, at least in the Spring, so no reservations needed. Might be open for dine in now. There's a general store next door, perfect for grabbing those kids some souvenirs. Too birds with one outing.

For a relaxing vacation, we were fine with the dining options at the Grand Wailea. Food truck, the quick service place and poolside dining. I just wouldn't wait until you're hangry, because the pace is rather slow.

We used a photographer through the resort once on vacation and loved the photos. You'll have your holiday photo, easy peasy!

We loved, loved, loved the pools. You'll have a great time!

Thank you so much for the info! Monkeypod sounds great, I think we will have to go to happy hour! I've seen Leoda's Kitchen pop up in online searches and thought it sounded good too so glad to hear you enjoyed it!

I think I just need to remember that everyone vacations differently and we don't have enough time to do everything so we need to keep my family in mind and do what works for us and just relax and have fun. I'm sure we will have a wonderful time if I do that.

Glad to hear you were happy with your pics! Here's hoping we get at least one good one!

Congrats! Sounds like they got back to you quickly! Enjoy your stay!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter