I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are going to get a new mattress at the end of the month. It is the same price at multiple stores.
I have $115 off $750 at Raymour and Flanagan on 3 cards Amex cards.
Do you think the store will split the purchase between 3 cards? I always feel strange asking for things like that to be done. But to save over $300 seems worth Dh’s eye rolling when I do it.

I have a question on adding an AU to Amex. I got the offer to add an AU for 10K bonus points after 2K spend so I added my daughter as an AU. I don't plan on giving her the card, but using it myself. Now, do the offers I have on my car extend to that one too? Specifically I plan to book a RC cruise since I have the $500 back, but wondering if it will work to use "her" card?
You will need to set up an online account for her in order to add offers to her card, which will have a different card number than yours. Once you do (Amex will want an email and SSN), and you've got her account established, then you can add whatever offers show up on her card. Those offers are often the same ones you have, but sometimes there's a surprise in there. Sometimes it's one you're happy to see and sometimes it's one that's missing (compared to your card).
Retention offers? Never thought that was a thing until I started reading this thread. Do all/most credit cards have this or only the high annual fee cards? Do you just call the normal number on the card and ask for a retention offer?
I call saying I'm thinking of closing the card, and is there anything on my account that would incentivize me to keep it. When asked why I want to close, it's usually because I have other cards that reward me more for my spend, or I'm not traveling like I used to, or something like that. Usually it's the cards with AFs, but there was a time earlier this year when some companies were giving retention offers on no-fee cards, but I don't think it's likely now.

Last edited:

I’ve got $50 off $250 at Lowe’s on my Marriott AMEX Biz card. I know AMEX hates GC purchases when meeting a SUB. Am I ok to buy a $250 GC at Lowe’s to trigger this offer? Should I throw on a candy bar or something so it’s not exactly $250?

Retention offers? Never thought that was a thing until I started reading this thread. Do all/most credit cards have this or only the high annual fee cards? Do you just call the normal number on the card and ask for a retention offer?
Not every card will give you one- Chase can be stingy. They have been OK during the pandemic, though. AmEx high fee cards you will almost always be able to get something- seems like they are being quite generous atm- probably because all the AFs just went up and they want to keep the customer base. A lot of other cards offer a smaller retention bonus than what you have been reading here about the AmEx Platinum- you just need to call and ask. If they say no then make your decision from there.

Yeah I see it on Expedia. I even found it on the map on Chase Travel map, but you can't book from there that I see and i would think it would be showing on the main list of properties. So, I'm wondering if its only showing for CSR or CSP cardholders?
use map search- I see it by playing with dates

Any other downsides (other than the fact that they hit all 3 credit checks?)

I've never bothered with Cap One - any reason to do so over Chase and Amex?

A big downside to Cap1 for me is the unpredictable approval. They're the only denial DH has ever gotten. It gets floated that they don't like credit scores that are too high and want customers who will carry a balance, but who knows if it's true. DH had another inquiry the day before he applied for a Venture, so maybe that did it? Who knows. I have an old Cap1 card and savings account (with pennies in it lol) and was approved. But who knows if that helped.

I haven't decided yet if I'll go for the Venture X. Still have to work out the numbers, timing, etc lol.

Most of their transfer partners are 1:1 now. Here's a list:
https://thepointsguy.com/guide/capital-one-transfer-partners/

I’ve got $50 off $250 at Lowe’s on my Marriott AMEX Biz card. I know AMEX hates GC purchases when meeting a SUB. Am I ok to buy a $250 GC at Lowe’s to trigger this offer? Should I throw on a candy bar or something so it’s not exactly $250?
I think it’s safe to get a single $250 gift card. If I purchase gift cards during an Amex MSR I just don’t count them towards the spend.

Amex is big on retention offers. Especially their MR earning high AF cards like the plat, biz plat, and gold. It's good to know what's the high before you ask, so you know what to aim for. I've had them give me a lower offer before and then a higher one after I ask if there are other offers on my account. I prefer asking via chat, during regular working hours.

Chase is not known for giving retention offers. They did towards the beginning of the pandemic. I don't think I've seen any data points more recently.

There are other issuers where you can get a moderate AF waived (like $95). Have heard some will do it year after year, while others might only do it the first renewal year.

Very excited about the new Cap one card. Does anyone know how long the offer is good? I know it starts Nov 9th. I just got the SW priority October 24th. I have a large spend in January to get me close to CP. I got a Cap One biz card in Jan 2020 (counts as one of my 5/24) when they were offering an incredible deal which earned me over 350,000 points. They have been sitting idle until last month when my son wanted to fly home from grad school for a few days. Made more sense to charge $216 to my Cap one card and have the points used to offset the ticket than use 20,000 UR points. In addition, the Cap one travel booking site is very user friendly and even tells you if a fare is high and you should wait.

Very excited about the new Cap one card. Does anyone know how long the offer is good? I know it starts Nov 9th. I just got the SW priority October 24th. I have a large spend in January to get me close to CP. I got a Cap One biz card in Jan 2020 (counts as one of my 5/24) when they were offering an incredible deal which earned me over 350,000 points. They have been sitting idle until last month when my son wanted to fly home from grad school for a few days. Made more sense to charge $216 to my Cap one card and have the points used to offset the ticket than use 20,000 UR points. In addition, the Cap one travel booking site is very user friendly and even tells you if a fare is high and you should wait.
Me too, excited!
Now I am just afraid of denial. I have never been denied by them before, I have had the other AF Venture twice. I also have bank accounts and a car loan with them currently so hopefully that helps.

I'd like to know when the offer ends too. Maybe when it goes live there'll be an end date on the offer.

Anyone approved for a Southwest personal card recently? Would you mind sharing - the date you applied, date you were approved and date your first statement closes.
Trying to work out the timing for my brother to get a new SW card and then for me to use his link for my card before the 100,000 offer goes away. I'd love to have the support bonus hit after his December statement closes so it can count towards CP.
Applied and instantly approved 10/20. Card arrived 10/29. Statement Close date Nov 6th. Due date Dec 3rd.
Thank you @Pixiedustspreader. This lines up similarly to my SW card a few years ago: Application date (also instant approval) 11/15. Statement close 12/3. Due date 28th of the month.

If I were to extrapolate from these two DPs, it looks like statement close date is ~17-18 days after application. [As a side note: IME Chase biz cards' closing date is 30 days from application.]

@KPK02090 If you want to apply using a link (that expires 12/1? that's what mine says) such that the support points post after the Dec statement, I think it would be best for your brother to apply around Nov 13-15. That hopefully creates a statement close date around Dec 1. That should allow you to use his link to apply at the end of Nov before his support link expires. And because Chase takes some time for those support points to post, they would go pending after his Dec statement closing date and thus post with his Jan statement close.

This is a best-case scenario. I don't know when he'll be able to generate his own link. I assume he can do it from his online account even before he receives his card, but I don't know for sure.

Does anyone want to share their personal SW cc opening dates/statement close dates? I'd like to see if there's a pattern to help time P2's application for a SW card. If we see a pattern, that could help everyone who is thinking of applying for the SW cards.

I'll start:
Opening date - 11/15
Statement close - 12/3
Does anyone else have DPs to share?

Click the destination on the map and an info box pops up at the bottom of the map. Click that info box and a new page opens for booking.

Happy to see a suite that sleeps 5 at only 45K night.
Thanks! I'll try this when I get home from work. So, there's a data point that someone that had a Chase card other than a CSR and was able to book through the Chase travel portal?

Now, do the offers I have on my car extend to that one too? Specifically I plan to book a RC cruise since I have the $500 back, but wondering if it will work to use "her" card?
No, each card is treated like a separate account for offers. As posted above, you would need to set up an account for her then see what offers are available on that card.

Thank you @Pixiedustspreader. This lines up similarly to my SW card a few years ago: Application date (also instant approval) 11/15. Statement close 12/3. Due date 28th of the month.

If I were to extrapolate from these two DPs, it looks like statement close date is ~17-18 days after application. [As a side note: IME Chase biz cards' closing date is 30 days from application.]

@KPK02090 If you want to apply using a link (that expires 12/1? that's what mine says) such that the support points post after the Dec statement, I think it would be best for your brother to apply around Nov 13-15. That hopefully creates a statement close date around Dec 1. That should allow you to use his link to apply at the end of Nov before his support link expires. And because Chase takes some time for those support points to post, they would go pending after his Dec statement closing date and thus post with his Jan statement close.

This is a best-case scenario. I don't know when he'll be able to generate his own link. I assume he can do it from his online account even before he receives his card, but I don't know for sure.

Does anyone else have DPs to share?
Thank you @Pixiedustspreader and @platamama! I was guessing probably 30 days or so from approval, so this definitely changes things.
It's weird that the public offer ends 12/7, but the links say 12/1. Makes me wonder if maybe the links will actually go until the 7th, since Chase links often go longer than the public offer.
I'd really like to help my brother get the CP, but I also don't want to miss the 100,000 offer for myself. I'm going to take your advice @platamama and tell him to apply on 11/14. I'll apply on the 1st of December using his link (assuming he can generate one). Hopefully the timing will work that the points post in January to his account. I suppose worst case scenario, he gets the points, they just don't count towards CP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter