I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone here familiar with AA bookings? I can cancel and have my miles redeposited but there is a fee to change the itinerary. In my head, this translates to similar to SW - cancel and rebook (instead of change) if a better redemption or schedule pops up. I canceled MIA-LAX and booked MIA - SLC by doing just that. Am I correct that I can cancel and book a different flight with no penalty as I want or if I cancel and book another flight on the same day, same cities will it be considered a change?
yes, it is super easy and my miles always go back. I just cancel, wait a couple of minutes, log out, log in and rebook.

Bon voyage! I'd love to hear about your cruise when you return. I have been hesitant when thinking about cruises and all the hurdles we would have to jump over to take one, so I'd really like to hear how Viking is doing things.
Thanks. Yeah, the hurdles are crazy. Did Panama's stuff and most of Viking's stuff and am working on United's stuff right now. Some of the requirements are 72 hours before, but trying to get everything else done ahead of time so it's not a mad scramble at the end. We just got our Moderna booster, and timed it so we get on the plane on day 15 to maximize the 2 week antibody making period. There was a recent 'Viking during COVID' type article on the digital Conde Nast website which was well written- only posted a week ago or so and should be easy to scroll to.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! Will look to try and add gratuities and use all the offers.

I will most likely purchase additional insurance as well. Appreciate all the knowledge here.
Gratuities post just like any other charge from the company, as does insurance and shore excursions. I have never tried to get a bonus on a prepaid shore excursion- but would think it will work since I have never noticed anything being coded differently. Someone else here may have some DP info on this- but I have never looked for DPs.

Last edited:

Darn, our cards don't have this offer! We're doing an RCCL cruise, but all we have is Norwegian and Celebrity offers.

I have used the offers on NCL and Celebrity before. This is the first time I am sailing on RCCL, so the offers are welcome. First time we got it on so many cards too.

Darn, our cards don't have this offer! We're doing an RCCL cruise, but all we have is Norwegian and Celebrity offers.
I have RCCL but need NCL- go figure...
Try adding a few interesting offers to the card you most hope to see the RCCL offer, then refresh and check what new offers are there. Repeat for other cards, if nothing happens on the first card.
While looking (and not finding) the RCCL offer on my preferred card, I happened to pick a couple other offers. When I came back later to check one more time, there it was, at the bottom of the list!

Just logged on to choose the airline for DH's Platinum's airline fee credit, but it's not working...

ETA: called and they were able to do it over the phone.

Try adding a few interesting offers to the card you most hope to see the RCCL offer, then refresh and check what new offers are there. Repeat for other cards, if nothing happens on the first card.
While looking (and not finding) the RCCL offer on my preferred card, I happened to pick a couple other offers. When I came back later to check one more time, there it was, at the bottom of the list!
The other thing you can try with AmEx is apply filters at the top. I read on one of the blogs (I think- can't remember where I read it actually) that sometimes additional offers will pop in there. Hasn't shown me anything additional that I can recall even though I have made the effort quite a few times- but I distinctly remember seeing that it worked for whomever wrote the article.

Bon voyage! I'd love to hear about your cruise when you return. I have been hesitant when thinking about cruises and all the hurdles we would have to jump over to take one, so I'd really like to hear how Viking is doing things.
I just got back from a DCL cruise yesterday and it was excellent! Booked it last Wednesday (27th) and got on the ship on Sunday (31st). DCL is testing everyone at the terminal (included in price). We were tested and got our results back in about 35 minutes. The ship was so empty! One of the CM said there were only 900 people on our sailing. We had our choice of pool chairs on the ship and beach chairs on Castaway. Of course we didn't have anyone under the age of 12 traveling with us, that'd definitely add hoops to jump through and take some advance planning.

I have another cruise coming up the day after Christmas on CCL. That one has proven more challenging because you have to be tested within 48 hours of boarding, and of course, Christmas Eve is a holiday and most places are closed. Fortunately we found an urgent care that will be open and made an appointment to get our test.

With that last minute cruise (because it was such an excellent deal) I've hit my spending for my CSP SUB (much more quickly than anticipated). I would really like to try for the SW CP but not exactly sure how I could earn that additional ~12K difference between the SUP and points needed for CP. I could probably refer a family member, but I'd really like a Plan B. I just got my CSP at the beginning of October and read its better to spread out apps about 3 months apart (I'm sure this isn't news to anyone on here!) If I wait until late November to apply, do you think this is enough time between the two cards if I'm only at 1/24? Other possible cards I'm considering is a Hilton card as we stay there on most trips, or possibly an Amex Plat. I'm not sure if I could get the full value out of it thought to make up for the AF. I need to do some more research, but my head starts to spin when I begin to decide what card to go for next. 😵

I have another cruise coming up the day after Christmas on CCL. That one has proven more challenging because you have to be tested within 48 hours of boarding, and of course, Christmas Eve is a holiday and most places are closed. Fortunately we found an urgent care that will be open and made an appointment to get our test.
Viking will only accept a PCR test done within 72 hours, so we are just going to do it in the airport and pay the $250.00 pp fee. They won't accept any other method of testing- and quick PCR is the only way to get your results back fast, as a normal PCR test can take 2-3 days here and we don't want to chance it. At least we will walk out of the clinic with all required paperwork in hand. Just one more hurdle with international travel during these times.

Viking also has a PCR lab on the ship and you have to submit for testing almost every day.

Following up with my Uber Eats debacle (to refresh it was a $44 bill plus tax, fees, and $10 tip):

TLDR: Uber said that not all restaurants participate in the Eats Pass discount. Said to look for a Green Ticket under the restaurant's name, and that because it was a new feature, Uber would refund 5% (around $3) and the Delivery Fee ($9.49) in the next 3-5 biz days.
There is a $2.19 refund already there (hopefully more to come).

And I haven't gotten to running the numbers to verify that even tho the bill shows the Platinum credit(s) being used, that the Gold credit is also being used, as wanderlust7 pointed out.

Here is their emailed response:

I took a look at your account, and it appears your order wasn't eligible for the Pass benefit.

Since this is a new feature, I've gone ahead and refunded the amount of your delivery fee plus an additional 5% off your order. This will reflect on your payment method within the next 3-5 business days.

In the future, to see if an order is eligible for the Pass benefit, look for the green ticket icon underneath the merchant's name. You can also search for merchants eligible for the Pass benefit using the filter under the search bar.

If you don't immediately see the green ticket indicator, you may be experiencing a short delay. You can expect to see this new feature added to your app by the end of your membership's billing cycle.

Moreover, Your Uber Cash balance is made-up of any gift cards, credits given by Uber Support, promotional credits, Amex Premium Benefits, and Uber Cash purchases.

Our system has a predetermined order for how these values are used and for this reason, it’s not possible to specifically select which part of the balance you pay with.

I appreciate your understanding. If you have other questions, we’re happy to help.

Last edited:
Are we using these for giftcards most of the time? I had the offer on my Delta Gold Biz.
I don't know about everyone else but I actually need a new washer. Watching prices and if I see one I'll get it, otherwise probably a Disney GC.
Yes…min of 30 or 31 days after the first…although I’ve read that some do the MDD with 2 business cards…..since I don’t need the CP until March my plan is to wait aprox 2 months between the business applications
Just got approved for SW Biz today (applied 8 days ago :crazy2:) and plan to wait for January for second biz...or maybe personal.
We are going to get a new mattress at the end of the month. It is the same price at multiple stores.
I have $115 off $750 at Raymour and Flanagan on 3 cards Amex cards.
Do you think the store will split the purchase between 3 cards? I always feel strange asking for things like that to be done. But to save over $300 seems worth Dh’s eye rolling when I do it.
I bought a couch a month ago and was working on MSR for CIP but only had a little over $2k of credit limit left on that card. I asked if I could split with $2k on one card, balance on second card, and the salesman happily replied "Oh Sure." Asked which card and how much for each. No problem, he had clearly done it before.
Thank you both. I'm a new DP. I canceled my outbound flight and realized that the points redeposit wasn't instant, as you mention, although it said it would be done automatically (and a note on another page that it could take 2 weeks to reflect, lol). I got impatient, tried an incognito window and could see my miles. I went through the booking and was able to book the new flight at a better time for 8k miles less and use the CSR. I don't see a better redemption for my return flight but I'm not sure I would risk it for the busier route of Vegas - Miami (vs. Miami - Salt Lake City).

So, this is twice I've canceled and rebooked after the 24 hr window has passed. They have both had a change in airport so not sure if AA sees it differently than just doing it to reduce miles used.
I have canceled and rebooked our Spring break trip for next year at least 1/2 dozen times. No issues as long as it's refundable (if it says no changes, make sure it's still refundable). Always have point back in minutes. Usually have to log out, then back in.

So, I tried again and I found the reserve again on the Chase Travel Redemptions map and used the same dates I saw availability through Expedia. But, the attachment shows all I see when I click on it (no option to reserve). From Expedia, I can click from the map and be taken to a page to book. But, no bueno so far through the Chase Travel portal.

I don't know if it'd matter, but what browser or device are you using? I'd try the same dates you're seeing the option to book from on the chase portal, but understand if you don't want to post them.
I can't book the Swolphin resorts on Chase either. I have a CSP. I see the Dolphin available on the regular Expedia site for my date.

I've doing this, but nothing. Added all the travel offers, actually, and now the travel filter button is gone since none of the new offers came in under that category. Sigh... Is there a limit on how many offer I can add?

I've doing this, but nothing. Added all the travel offers, actually, and now the travel filter button is gone since none of the new offers came in under that category. Sigh... Is there a limit on how many offer I can add?
I've never heard of a limit on how many offers one can add (but I've only been playing Amex game a year or so).
I also wonder if you could pay a little (or put down payment) on RCCL, if that might trigger the offer???

I stayed in the Cabana Bay family suite.....it is pretty tight. There is really not much room in the suite portion but maybe if you move some of the chairs.
I may be better off spending a little more and booking 2 rooms then. I have to accept we're just at that point in life. It's hard enough getting 4 of us in a room happily lately.
So, I tried again and I found the reserve again on the Chase Travel Redemptions map and used the same dates I saw availability through Expedia. But, the attachment shows all I see when I click on it (no option to reserve). From Expedia, I can click from the map and be taken to a page to book. But, no bueno so far through the Chase Travel portal.

I don't know if it'd matter, but what browser or device are you using? I'd try the same dates you're seeing the option to book from on the chase portal, but understand if you don't want to post them.
You aren't on Expedia, that's what my CIP looks like and it says Travel Partner: AFAR at the bottom on the main travel search page. I'm attaching my Expedia screens from CSR. You can see on the main travel search page it says Powered by Expedia.

So I went digging in my own receipts and looks like the Amex benefit applied shown on the receipts is wrong. It only shows the plat bucket of credits, not the gold credit. At first I thought my gold credits weren't applied for months!

I have a gift card in my account, so that makes it harder to figure out. Had to go through the receipts since I added the gift card and add up the amounts I went over the credits. It did add up for me though. If the excess is charged to cc it's easier to figure out.

Hope your issues get resolved!
I'm just gonna hope that it's been working that way for me too.

Like you, but worse, I would have to go back to the beginning and track everything, because I have had a positive balance since opening, and continued adding $100 a month for several months. The extra amount I owe is subtracted from that balance, and I can't find anything like a Monthly Statement that shows how much credit I had at the beginning of the month.

Since I can't find a Monthly Statement balance, I took a screenshot of today's balance, and I can track charges this month to verify.

Following up with my Uber Eats debacle (to refresh it was a $44 bill plus tax, fees, and $10 tip):

TLDR: Uber said that not all restaurants participate in the Eats Pass discount. Said to look for a Green Ticket under the restaurant's name, and that because it was a new feature, Uber would refund 5% (around $3) and the Delivery Fee ($9.49) in the next 3-5 biz days.
There is a $2.19 refund already there (hopefully more to come).

And I haven't gotten to running the numbers to verify that even tho the bill shows the Platinum credit(s) being used, that the Gold credit is also being used, as wanderlust7 pointed out.

Here is their emailed response:

I took a look at your account, and it appears your order wasn't eligible for the Pass benefit.

Since this is a new feature, I've gone ahead and refunded the amount of your delivery fee plus an additional 5% off your order. This will reflect on your payment method within the next 3-5 business days.

In the future, to see if an order is eligible for the Pass benefit, look for the green ticket icon underneath the merchant's name. You can also search for merchants eligible for the Pass benefit using the filter under the search bar.

If you don't immediately see the green ticket indicator, you may be experiencing a short delay. You can expect to see this new feature added to your app by the end of your membership's billing cycle.

Moreover, Your Uber Cash balance is made-up of any gift cards, credits given by Uber Support, promotional credits, Amex Premium Benefits, and Uber Cash purchases.

Our system has a predetermined order for how these values are used and for this reason, it’s not possible to specifically select which part of the balance you pay with.

I appreciate your understanding. If you have other questions, we’re happy to help.

I forgot to cycle back and tell you it was probably a green tag thing. I guess that is new. It got me last month and I had to go searching on why my order was costing more than usual. Now I'm completely reevaluating our UberEats usage and the kids will have to choose a low fee or green tag restaurant on Mondays.

For the other part, my "receipt" only ever shows one of my Amex credits used, but both are deducted if that makes sense. For my last order ($34.94) at the top of the receipt in the green box it says $15 (Plat) of my Amex Benefit was used. Scroll down where Amount Charged is listed and it shows "Uber Cash $25", that's $15 Plat and $10 from Gold. Then 2 CC charges for the balance and tip. Let me know if you want a screenshot.

I've never heard of a limit on how many offers one can add (but I've only been playing Amex game a year or so).
I also wonder if you could pay a little (or put down payment) on RCCL, if that might trigger the offer???
It will. Make sure you are actually planning to take the cruise. We cancelled a Japan trip for March 2022, had an NCL offer on two cards- and AmEx clawed back 250 on both mine and DW. ANY money you put towards any cruise- existing (additional payments) or one you are going to put down a reservation deposit on- will trigger the offer as long as you follow the terms. Sometimes the terms say a new booking- and I just put extra money down on an existing cruise and haven't had an issue with them honoring it- but YMMV. Now- if you try to double dip and use two of your cards from the same issuer on the same cruise line you will almost certainly have issues and they will probably claw it back. That said, should you be able to manage getting the AmEx offer to pop on more than one card- you can always try it and see what happens. Be forewarned- I have never known AmEx for it's benevolence- and I would just never attempt this. Quite frankly, these days I am EXTRAORDINARY careful with trying to game AmEx- there are lots of people in this hobby that learned that lesson the hard way- and have been locked down by them. Stay conservative, play the long game. Those that get too aggressive wind up sidelined. I have been doing this since the Bush administration. Back then you could do whatever the h*ll you wanted without issue. These days, they are watching, and they will continue to tighten things up, and we won't know about the new stuff they are looking into until another group of people get locked down for whatever it is they decide to look into. The numbers of people getting locked out are going to exponentially increase as time passes IMHO. Just have fun with this- it's a hobby- not a competition.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter