I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone! I figured January and new thread was a good time to jump back in after an almost 2 year hiatus (yikes). We didn't travel much last year, other than WDW trip for the twins' birthday in April, family trip to Chattanooga, and a quick trip to Chicago for me and DH. Thanks for the tips, btw. :thumbsup2 The architecture cruise and cubs game were our faves, and we can't wait to go back with the kids!

Skimmed the first 40-something pages to catch up (love seeing all the new puppies and babies!), but TBH I'm feeling like a noob all over again and have no clue where to start. Planned to go for a CP first of the year, but the personal offers are blah, and I think I'm a little worried I won't be able to snag 2 biz (is it the 2/30 or 1/90 guideline with those?). I'm basically back at 0/24 and my last app was in July (CIU denial-- pretty sure it was an app error but still made me a little gun shy on the biz cards).

Hi everyone! I figured January and new thread was a good time to jump back in after an almost 2 year hiatus (yikes). We didn't travel much last year, other than WDW trip for the twins' birthday in April, family trip to Chattanooga, and a quick trip to Chicago for me and DH. Thanks for the tips, btw. :thumbsup2 The architecture cruise and cubs game were our faves, and we can't wait to go back with the kids!

Skimmed the first 40-something pages to catch up (love seeing all the new puppies and babies!), but TBH I'm feeling like a noob all over again and have no clue where to start. Planned to go for a CP first of the year, but the personal offers are blah, and I think I'm a little worried I won't be able to snag 2 biz (is it the 2/30 or 1/90 guideline with those?). I'm basically back at 0/24 and my last app was in July (CIU denial-- pretty sure it was an app error but still made me a little gun shy on the biz cards).

It's 1/30 for Chase biz cards. So you can do one SW biz now and the other one 30 days later.

What did the CIU denial letter say?

Welcome back ….Chase business cards are 1/30, personal are 2/30….if you apply for the SW Performance Business card first you would have 85,000 RR Points after meeting the MSR…then either go for the second business card or for one of the personal….either way you would have the 125k RR points needed for CP
…..if your DH has a SW card use his support link for both cards…he would get 20k for each support

I would go for the Biz Performance, 85k RR including MSR. Then wait at least 30 days for the second Biz card, you’ll be fine to get 2 business cards close together since you haven’t opened any cards in the year. Or you could just get the lame personal SUB, those 2 cards will get you the CP for $6k MSR.

I'm trying to figure out when my Aspire benefits will run out and when the AF will be due again for this year. I accepted an upgrade offer last year from the Surpass to the Aspire, and on my statement ending on 8/2, I received membership fee of $30 on 7/8, a membership fee of $450 on 8/2, and a membership fee credit for $6.50 on 7/8. Would I get charged for this years AF on 8/2 again (or close to then)? I have two stays in July at Hiltons to use my FNC's and points and want to use the resort credits. I want to make sure IF I decide to cancel the Aspire (I know, everyone loves the Aspire but $450 is a lot when I may or may not use the benefits) that I would still have the resort credits and diamond status to use for July. Can anyone assist?

Thank you! :goodvibes

I'm trying to figure out when my Aspire benefits will run out and when the AF will be due again for this year. I accepted an upgrade offer last year from the Surpass to the Aspire, and on my statement ending on 8/2, I received membership fee of $30 on 7/8, a membership fee of $450 on 8/2, and a membership fee credit for $6.50 on 7/8. Would I get charged for this years AF on 8/2 again (or close to then)? I have two stays in July at Hiltons to use my FNC's and points and want to use the resort credits. I want to make sure IF I decide to cancel the Aspire (I know, everyone loves the Aspire but $450 is a lot when I may or may not use the benefits) that I would still have the resort credits and diamond status to use for July. Can anyone assist?

Yes, you're next AF should be due on your August statement. When you PC with AMEX it keeps the original anniversary date. So you got charged the $30 for the one month AF in July, and a credit for one month of your Surpass AF.

The resort credit is tied to the anniversary date, so it should be when your Surpass was opened. The date will be sometime before the AF post date of 8/2. If your stay in July is after that date, then you'll be using the credit after it's reset (for 2022-2023). If that's the case and you cancel the Aspire, there's language that it'll be clawed back, though I haven't seen any DPs yet.

ETA: The Diamond status wouldn't be a concern since with the status extensions, people have stayed Diamond even after canceling the Aspire. Plus you wouldn't need to actually cancel it until 30 days after 8/2.

Sooooo, we don't treat ear infections if you have Covid? Needless to say, my ear is worse today, my neck hurts, my throat hurts
COViD is a virus, antibiotics don't work. The effects are from the virus and accompanying inflammation, generally not bacteria. I will say we generally see people sick, better, then worse again at 10-14 days. So it may yet get worse. Hope it doesn't.

Last edited:
I'm holding back from replying "well if your child turned their work in back in Sept/Oct/Nov/Dec when it was assigned, this wouldn't be an issue......but I'm very tempted to do so!

I've seen SOOO many of those emails typed and then deleted shortly after... Amazing how many parents think that after never turning in a single paper that its your fault for not bending the rules and spending time grading each one now. :confused3

Congrats! I understand about being stressed out, I've been in those shoes of being pregnant with a spouse who got laid off. It all worked out in the end for us; sending good thoughts your way for it to all work out for you too. The silver lining was the time DH got to spend with DD as a baby, seems like the only time he's had those opportunities is when he's been laid off.

Would you consider a Discover It card, especially since you're at 1/24? That's the one that has the quarterly rotating 5% cash back bonus categories and no annual fee. And for the first 12 months your total cash back gets doubled, making those quarterly categories 10% cash back and your everywhere else spend 2%. The 5% is capped at $1500 spend per quarter on the bonus categories; anything over $1500 is the usual 1% (doubled in the first year to 2%). Using a support link will get you a $100 statement credit when you make your first purchase within 30 days of approval. This year the 5% categories are:
  • Jan-Mar - Groceries, fitness clubs, gym memberships
  • Apr-Jun - Gas stations and Target
  • Jul-Aug - Restaurants and Paypal
  • Sep-Dec - Amazon and digital wallets (Apple Pay, Google Pay, Samsung Pay, Garmin Pay)
CFU would be the simplest for sure. You wouldn't need to pay attention to maxing out any bonus category, and that has some value. If you maxed out the Discover It 5% categories this year by spending $1500 per quarter, you'd get $600 for $6000 spend instead of 60K URs for $20K spend on the CFU. More effort, but more return.

Thanks for the write-up, I actually went ahead and applied and was approved for this card! It is going to be a bit more work than the CFU but the categories are flexible enough that I can make it work. I'm looking forward to branching out to non-Chase cards.

I'm sure things will work out just the way they are supposed to - for now I am enjoying having a house husband and DH is enjoying having time to figure out what he really wants to do next :love:

Does anyone know of a direct service that has car seats and can pick up from MCO and drop off at Universal and then pick up from Disney and drop off at MCO? I have a 4 year old and I would rather not drag her car seat through the airport there and back.
I used Tiffany Towncars last week with a split stay at Disney. I know they have car seats available but did not need. The cars were very clean and the drivers were prompt and very courteous. I would use them again.

MIL applied for her first SW biz card and received the following message "We need to review your request a little longer. We will let you know of our decision as soon as possible." 2/24 (all chase), high income, sole proprietor on legit biz, but don't really want to have to talk to anyone. Is this likely a "wait and see" or "call to verify" situation?

Last edited:
I had decided to pick up the BBP at some point this year to have a no fee AmEx MR earning card to keep miles alive if/when I end up cancelling my plats. Have a few other bonuses (Venture X, Citi AA Business, AmEx Resy Shop Small/Restaurant) I'm working on at the moment, so figured I'd work in BBP at some point later in the year. There is a new offer for 50,000 MR after $15,000 spend in the next 12 months today and I qualified. So, of course I did it. Having 12 months to meet the SUB is nice because I can work it in around other things. And the 2x MR per dollar on the first $50,000 spend is pretty great especially for a no-AF card - this might become my daily driver when I'm not actively chasing a SUB.

Info on the offer - https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ymmv-american-express-blue-business-plus-50000-points-signup-bonus/

Yes, you're next AF should be due on your August statement. When you PC with AMEX it keeps the original anniversary date. So you got charged the $30 for the one month AF in July, and a credit for one month of your Surpass AF.

That makes sense. Thank you!

The resort credit is tied to the anniversary date, so it should be when your Surpass was opened. The date will be sometime before the AF post date of 8/2. If your stay in July is after that date, then you'll be using the credit after it's reset (for 2022-2023). If that's the case and you cancel the Aspire, there's language that it'll be clawed back, though I haven't seen any DPs yet.

ETA: The Diamond status wouldn't be a concern since with the status extensions, people have stayed Diamond even after canceling the Aspire. Plus you wouldn't need to actually cancel it until 30 days after 8/2.

Thanks! I didn't realize the resort credit was anniversary date instead of calendar year ( I assumed it was the same as the airline credit, although now that you pointed it out I see it listed on the benefits wording). I actually chatted with Amex to ask what date it would reset because I wasn't sure what my date was, and it's the end if June, so I should be good. If I do happen to close the card and they claw it back, I'll report back. I'll have to pay the fees either way so it's fine. I won't go out of my way to use up the $250 though. I think we have to pay parking so it might use up the whole $250 anyways. Thanks for the info!

Hi- I'm wondering...I got that offer on one of my Chase cards for 5% at Amazon etc.... but it doesn't show up as a regular offer ,as soon as I hit apply button to grab it, the screen disappeared..... is there a way to see this offer on my card? I want to be sure it's actually working before I try using it

I got an email about joining the InterContinental Ambassador program through IHG. We aren’t huge travelers but do have 2 trips booked on points coming up and another one for 2-3 nights with cash (if the weather holds out). Anyone ever join this? I’m wondering if the perks are worth it with having the credit card???

I've seen SOOO many of those emails typed and then deleted shortly after... Amazing how many parents think that after never turning in a single paper that its your fault for not bending the rules and spending time grading each one now. :confused3
My close friend is a HS teacher. Before the holidays she had a student turn in an assignment that was entirely blank. She gave the student a 0. Sees the student in class for a few days and the student doesn't say anything to her. A few days later she gets an irate e-mail from the mom saying how hard her daughter worked on the paper, how she had proof-read it, how angry she is that her daughter got a 0 and she's going to report my friend to her principal and the board superintendent. My friend was soooo tempted to write back that since she submitted a blank assignment she got the grade that she deserved. Instead she worked patiently with the mom and student to determine why she received a blank assignment and kindly offered to look it and grade it without penalty. She's perplexed as to why the student didn't say anything to her during class time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter