I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!! It's been quite a while since I've needed any advice, we sold our house and had to wait for our new one to be built, so not much activity during that time (I REALLY struggled not having an MSR to work towards!). I do have a couple of questions:

1 - I got the CS AMEX Plat last year and was able to cash in quite a bit of MRs to a CS brokerage account when the bonus still existed. I used the GE/TSA credit already, and don't need the other benefits. The annual fee ($625) just hit, so I should be good to close this one out, right? I do have the AMEX Gold, which I'll keep. Any unforeseen issues I may experience? And I need to call, or can I SM?

2 - My mother, who lives with us, got the CSP recently (mailer with a 100K UR bonus for $4K spend), and will be transferring the points to me. I know there's been issues recently with transferring URs - do I just SM in this case?

We are working on the MSR for P2's CIU (which should be easy with new house expenses, we're already halfway there in 3 weeks!). I need to map out all of our travel wish lists to determine what to get next - I'll surely need advice again!

Thanks y'all!

Hello!! It's been quite a while since I've needed any advice, we sold our house and had to wait for our new one to be built, so not much activity during that time (I REALLY struggled not having an MSR to work towards!). I do have a couple of questions:

1 - I got the CS AMEX Plat last year and was able to cash in quite a bit of MRs to a CS brokerage account when the bonus still existed. I used the GE/TSA credit already, and don't need the other benefits. The annual fee ($625) just hit, so I should be good to close this one out, right? I do have the AMEX Gold, which I'll keep. Any unforeseen issues I may experience? And I need to call, or can I SM?

2 - My mother, who lives with us, got the CSP recently (mailer with a 100K UR bonus for $4K spend), and will be transferring the points to me. I know there's been issues recently with transferring URs - do I just SM in this case?

We are working on the MSR for P2's CIU (which should be easy with new house expenses, we're already halfway there in 3 weeks!). I need to map out all of our travel wish lists to determine what to get next - I'll surely need advice again!

Thanks y'all!

You can chat Amex to cancel. You might want to consider if you'd keep the card if you got a retention offer, something like 55k for $4000 spend or 30-40k for $3000.

For Chase, your mom can SM to do the UR transfer. Once they do the transfer, hopefully the linkage will be set up and you can do future transfers yourself.

Does anyone have tips for booking hotels with families of 5?

I've been looking at tropical destination options for us in the Fall and I'm getting frustrated with so many places requiring 2 rooms instead of giving us the option of a suite or an extra bed. I can see this option being ideal/necessary with teenagers, but my kids are still little. I don't want 2 rooms.

You can chat Amex to cancel. You might want to consider if you'd keep the card if you got a retention offer, something like 55k for $4000 spend or 30-40k for $3000.

For Chase, your mom can SM to do the UR transfer. Once they do the transfer, hopefully the linkage will be set up and you can do future transfers yourself.

Awesome, thank you so much!!

I feel like I just got bonvoyed by Hilton and blamed for my points not going back tobmy account.

After over half an hour on chat so she could open a case which takes 5 to 7 days I called the diamond line. To then be told I should have called when they didn't show right back up. To which I said your site says it can take up to 48 hours so I was waiting figuring no one would help me.

Then it's because I modified the reservation so many times that it didn't work right. And I should have just called to do it cause if they cancel it on the phone they wouldn't have had this problem.

However she also couldn't just put my points back cause their new system won't let them. Well that's the risk you take cancelling to rebook. Well how was I supoosed to know they wouldn't be back within 20 min like always. And don't let me modify a points booking to lower points if it's bot something I'm supposed to be able to do.

So hopefully the 34k or 35k are still there next week or that I at least don't have to pay more than the 37k I cancelled.

I PCd my CSR to a CFU yesterday. Today I was checking the Chase bonus site and entered in my now CFU info and it said it activated the 10x for Starbucks. Any idea if this resets the $500 limit? I'd done $55 already when the card was a CSR. Not that I need another $500 in reloads 🤣

I'm sad that my Disney card didn't have another bonus. Had been enjoying racking up Disney dollars on gas and at the Parks. Although, not a single Disney dining purchase triggered the bonus. Very annoying to get 1x Disney dollars when I could have been getting dining bonuses elsewhere.

Also, I needed to update my name on my Hyatt account because I had been lazy and opened the account and credit card under just one of last names so I was unable to transfer URs. I had a quick and easy exchange through Twitter DM and my name got updated! Was also able to immediately link my AA and Hyatt accounts now that the names matched.

Do store cards count against 5/24? I opened a Williams Sonoma account (through Cap 1) in 2020.

Yes, if it's on your credit report it counts. (I think even some Cap One business cards can count because Cap One reports them to personal credit reports, but I am not sure.) The easiest and most accurate way to see what cards count is to look at your credit report.

I get the emails, that's how i know it's not there 🙂 at least my check from vsp for my eye dr appt is.

When I called last week he said 3 to 5 days so to me it should be here. And with a 5k spend I can't use a dif card and be ok when it's almost 400 at the vet.

I'll call once I get done with the Hilton chat. Lesson learned, call the diamond line, don't use chat. Also both have hours but neither tell you on the website so my call last night got disconnected when they closed. It's been at least 20 min and now tux needs to go out. I also need a snack. I didn't think it would take this long.
I understand not wanting to use a different card. I had auto insurance and my Medicare premium to pay. Total equaled my $1k for the card. But Medicare has to be paid on time or even a bit early or there is risk of landing in a higher premium bracket (or something like that). My own issue as I'd been going to app for the card to use the Disney rewards to pay the rest of my DVC dues. Wasn't in a hurry for that part of the deal because I'm paid ahead.

But, my other strategy is to use as many 5% gift cards (CIC) as possible on most of my spend, so I really wanted the 2 insurance premiums to take care of the card.

I did finish it up this morning by putting the water, gas and electric on it.

My Vet takes the Visa Gift cards.

I understand not wanting to use a different card. I had auto insurance and my Medicare premium to pay. Total equaled my $1k for the card. But Medicare has to be paid on time or even a bit early or there is risk of landing in a higher premium bracket (or something like that). My own issue as I'd been going to app for the card to use the Disney rewards to pay the rest of my DVC dues. Wasn't in a hurry for that part of the deal because I'm paid ahead.

But, my other strategy is to use as many 5% gift cards (CIC) as possible on most of my spend, so I really wanted the 2 insurance premiums to take care of the card.

I did finish it up this morning by putting the water, gas and electric on it.

My Vet takes the Visa Gift cards.

After my Hilton nonsense I'm going to wait and see if it's in the mail today. I can't deal with it even if it's easy.

My vet takes all cards which is handy. It's actually nice when I have a visa or mc spend so I don't have to get any visa gc for the chiropractor.

So ready to run outside after work, esp since it's been full of nonsense this week. They dis give me a letter for jury duty, hopefully it works to excuse me. I'm thr only one that does what I do and the extra training we're planning for my hopeful Japan trip can't/won't be able to happen til August so we'd have to limp along. We're getting a temp to help the other 2 in the dept so it's not like they have time for my stuff either and need to train him.

I PCd my CSR to a CFU yesterday. Today I was checking the Chase bonus site and entered in my now CFU info and it said it activated the 10x for Starbucks. Any idea if this resets the $500 limit? I'd done $55 already when the card was a CSR. Not that I need another $500 in reloads 🤣

I'm sad that my Disney card didn't have another bonus. Had been enjoying racking up Disney dollars on gas and at the Parks. Although, not a single Disney dining purchase triggered the bonus. Very annoying to get 1x Disney dollars when I could have been getting dining bonuses elsewhere.

Also, I needed to update my name on my Hyatt account because I had been lazy and opened the account and credit card under just one of last names so I was unable to transfer URs. I had a quick and easy exchange through Twitter DM and my name got updated! Was also able to immediately link my AA and Hyatt accounts now that the names matched.
I checked my Disney no fee card because of your post and got gas stations, grocery stores and home improvements up to $1500. I 'think' I had this last quarter. I buy most gas at Costco as well as most groceries and I already get 5% using my Lowes card at Lowes. So it's not likely I'll make the $1500 but a few extra points won't hurt, if I remember to use the card.

I've also got the 10x at Starbucks on my CSP and will be lucky if I spend $50 there in 3 months.

The one that confuses me is the 5K offer on my CIC. It's at 3X from what I can see, but from reading I think I have to spend all 5K. I usually do the 5x at Staples. Does any one else have this offer and understand it? Looks like it only works on 1x earnings.

Last edited:
I checked my Disney no fee card because of your post and got gas stations, grocery stores and home improvements up to $1500. I 'think' I had this last quarter. I buy most gas at Costco as well as most groceries and I already get 5% using my Lowes card at Lowes. So it's not likely I'll make the $1500 but a few extra points won't hurt, if I remember to use the card.

I've also got the 10x at Starbucks on my CSP and will be lucky if I spend $50 there in 3 months.

The one that confuses me is the 5K offer on my CIC. It's at 3X from what I can see, but from reading I think I have to spend all 5K. I usually do the 5x at Staples. Does any one else have this offer and understand it? Looks like it only works on 1x earnings.
I have this on my CIC as well and reading it yes it seems you have to spend $5,000 to get the 5,000 extra points…mine says I can do it 3 times so could earn 15,000 points if I spend $15,000 on the card from 5/1 to 7/31…which isn’t happening

We got that offer too, I laughed.
I used it. Loaded up on fee free Visa gift cards at Staples in May and June. Only doing one round of $5000 but it’s no different from the SW card MSR I just completed too.

just got an email from Marcus that my online savings rate went up to 1.2%. It’s 1.3 for me with the 2 year AARP bonus.

Hey guys. Long time. Looking at adjusting my CC strategy ahead of some 2023 travel.

We have:
- CSP (DH, me as an AU)
- CFU (DH, me as an AU)
- AmEx Plat (me)
- Legacy Marriott AmEx (used to the the SPG card - me)
- Chase Alaska (both)
- Chase United (me)
- Some Citi AA card I keep because I’ve had it for a billion years (length of credit)
- Chase Disney Visa (me, DH is an AU)

I just cxld Delta Reserve (companion fares too hard to use - separately applied for the plat with the current 100k bonus)

I’m thinking of having DH grab the current BonVoy boundless 5 night bonus - I can’t do it because I’ve had the SPG.

Goal right now is to hoard Marriott or flight points to cover a trip to Maui in the back half of 2023. I’m Titanium there.

Thoughts? Bad play? If not, I’m happy to use a referral code.

Last edited:

I have the grocery gas home improvement on my Hyatt, they actually emailed me about it. I'd rather have Hyatt points than the Lowe's discount, so I'll try to remember to use it there.

I have that 5k offer on all 3 of my CICs, never gonna bother with it. Even my ligit business doesn't spend that. I actually need to call and PC that one to a CIU because it makes more sense for us.

My FIL applied for the CIP last night and got a message saying they needed more time. He has a legit business but I saw that it might be easier to apply with his SSN so that's what he did. He put in $250k which I thought was a bit high for these cards but it was lower than his annual income from the business. Should he have gone lower? What does he need to do right now?
Instant approval for biz cards is somewhat rare. Also there does seem to be easier approvals for 'businesses' over true businesses. He may have to call in to provide identity confirmation or even submit proof of business. Does he have a Chase business account already? He can check there if he does, as a new card will appear if approved. Otherwise he can try calling the status line to see what's up. FWIW, I applied for a CIC on Wednesday this week, got the 'need more time' message and found the card in my account Thursday morning. I have a 'business.'
Wishing your DS a speedy recovery
Thanks so much. That is very kind. Fortunately, it appears to be fairly minor. The ortho said it is borderline but safest to splint it for 4 weeks. But it is not a cast and no sling plus the splint is removable for showering etc. so overall I'm pretty relieved.

Not surprising I don't have any offer on my hyatt since I did the one last quarter.

I do have the 10% back on my freedom at starbucks until 8/31 and 5% on my disney at gas, grocery and home improvement until 9/30. With a 5k spend to meet and fuel points to gather I doubt I'll use either of them but added them just in case.

Not surprising I don't have any offer on my hyatt since I did the one last quarter.

I do have the 10% back on my freedom at starbucks until 8/31 and 5% on my disney at gas, grocery and home improvement until 9/30. With a 5k spend to meet and fuel points to gather I doubt I'll use either of them but added them just in case.
I have the same gas offer on my individual Disney that I had last quarter. Of course I work at home, so the gas bonus doesn't amount to much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter