I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ughhh! I purchased a Visa gift card on June 25 at my local Kroger when it was 4x fuel points. I did an odd amount ($220) on a variable card not knowing it would not earn 4 x points. Went to customer service who said that there was nothing they can do. But called the Kroger customer service number on the receipt and they added 880 points to my account. Put the gift card in my wallet and tried to use it the next day at a nail salon. Didn’t go thru. Just assumed I needed to activate it. Forgot about it until yesterday when I tried to check the balance. I was able to see that the card was used at a Superwalmart on the 26th of June earlier in the day (before I went to the nail salon). I called cardholder services for the gift card and they started an investigation which they said takes 90 days. What a big mess! Anyone else have this happen to them?
I had this happen with a $200 VGC I had purchased at Staples. Someone had used it at target.com and a couple other places. I had to send a copy of my Staples receipt and a copy of the front and back of the gift card. They eventually sent me a new $200 VGC to replace it. It took maybe a month start to finish so it was inconvenient but it was taken care of and really no trouble. Hopefully yours works out as easily.

I had this happen with a $200 VGC I had purchased at Staples. Someone had used it at target.com and a couple other places. I had to send a copy of my Staples receipt and a copy of the front and back of the gift card. They eventually sent me a new $200 VGC to replace it. It took maybe a month start to finish so it was inconvenient but it was taken care of and really no trouble. Hopefully yours works out as easily.

Staples Visa GC have a new security feature on it now. It takes the cashier an extra scan now. quite interesting.
i guess good for us.

Looking for suggestions to burn a couple Hilton FNC that will expire in the next few months. We have a cruise out of Miami the last week of September and we’re thinking of staying two nights pre-cruise either in Fort Lauderdale or Miami. We want to get there a couple days early for a cushion in case we have issues with our flight. So besides being somewhere we can book with Hilton FNC it would be nice to be right on the beach. DH is diamond if that makes a difference as I know some hotels are more likely to upgrade although it honestly seems like everyone is diamond anymore.
I am late with a reply but we have stayed at both the Conrad Fort Lauderdale Beach and Baker's Cay (Key Largo). Conrad was two nights pre-cruise. We used a cert for one night and points for the other. With lowly Gold status we were upgraded to a very nice Oceanfront Junior Suite (two baths, kitchen, living area, balcony). Baker's Cay was a trip on its own where we stayed for 4 nights - also upgraded to a waterfront room. I believe I used 2 certs and points for the rest. Both hotels were great. If you are flying into Miami I would not hesitate to go to Baker's Cay. We much prefer to fly into Fort Lauderdale (even with a Miami cruise) so we would probably go the Conrad route. 2 nights at Baker's Cay will leave you wanting more, I am sure! You can't go wrong with either of those two.

Any recommendations for a pre-cruise hotel at Port Carnaval? Booked the Harmony of the Seas for a steal. $2250 for 3 people ocean view balcony. Of course, I now need to add the specialty dining. Debating on the drink package or not. With DCL, we always stayed at the HR at the airport and used DCL shuttle. (I just realized this our make-up cruise from when COVID hit since we were scheduled to sail 3/15/20 on the Harmony.)

I am late with a reply but we have stayed at both the Conrad Fort Lauderdale Beach and Baker's Cay (Key Largo). Conrad was two nights pre-cruise. We used a cert for one night and points for the other. With lowly Gold status we were upgraded to a very nice Oceanfront Junior Suite (two baths, kitchen, living area, balcony). Baker's Cay was a trip on its own where we stayed for 4 nights - also upgraded to a waterfront room. I believe I used 2 certs and points for the rest. Both hotels were great. If you are flying into Miami I would not hesitate to go to Baker's Cay. We much prefer to fly into Fort Lauderdale (even with a Miami cruise) so we would probably go the Conrad route. 2 nights at Baker's Cay will leave you wanting more, I am sure! You can't go wrong with either of those two.
Thanks for the input! We had actually narrowed it down to Conrad Ft Lauderdale and I’m glad to hear your experience was good. We strongly considered Baker’s Cay and while that would’ve been my choice, DH has pretty severe pet allergies and we try to avoid pet friendly hotels. I’ve read some reviews of Bakers Cay that sound like there can be a lot of dogs there at times.

I purchased our Japan flights, unfortunately didn't get the departure flight I wanted. I wanted the Saturday flight to Osaka, but someone else grabbed the tickets before I could, we still leave our home airport on Saturday night but we have to spend the night at LAX and depart Sunday. I was going to book our stay at LAX Hyatt House, but my FNC expires just 3 days before I can use it (I already ask to a 3 night extension, no go) I'll get a new FNC next year but by then it will be too late to apply the FNC, I could have Hyatt Concierge book a point advance reservation but I don't think i'll be able to apply the FNC. Any suggestions on what to do?

Miles: AA, 240,000 miles + $44.80
Home-->DFW, AA economy with MCE
DFW-->LAX AA first
LAX-->KIX JAL business

Return: BA, 371,000 + $1,340 (transferred 265,000 MRs during 40% bonus)
HND-->DFW JAL business
I will need to book DFW-->home when AA opens their calendar, but I need advice.
Our JAL flight lands at 8:40AM, our options are 10:15AM or 12:20PM departure. Is 10:15 cutting it way too close? We all have GE & will do carry on only.

Any recommendations for a pre-cruise hotel at Port Carnaval? Booked the Harmony of the Seas for a steal. $2250 for 3 people ocean view balcony. Of course, I now need to add the specialty dining. Debating on the drink package or not. With DCL, we always stayed at the HR at the airport and used DCL shuttle. (I just realized this our make-up cruise from when COVID hit since we were scheduled to sail 3/15/20 on the Harmony.)
I like the Residence Inn Cocoa Beach. Two-bedroom suite was really nice. I've also stayed at the Radisson which I didn't like.

I haven't had any problems with Staples (knock on wood) but for this reason I do email and print when I buy, just so I can grab the email receipt if I misplace the printed one.
The most recent purchase I bought the 'new' Visa design - hope that helps to prevent fraud.

quick venture X question. i want to use the hotel credit, so i'm on the travel portal, its asking me if i want to pay or use points. to trigger the hotel credit i should pay it, correct? then after the hotel credit is triggered can i erase the rest of the charge or will it only let me erase the whole thing? ie. the total is 700, so with hotel credit -300, can i erase just the remaining 400 or the total 700? or can i not erase it at all if the hotel credit was triggered?

Last edited:
quick venture X question. i want to use the hotel credit, so i'm on the travel portal, its asking me if i want to pay or use points. to trigger the hotel credit i should pay it, correct? then after the hotel credit is triggered can i erase the rest of the charge or will it only let me erase the whole thing? ie. the total is 700, so with hotel credit -300, can i erase just the remaining 400 or the total 700? or can i not erase it at all if the hotel credit was triggered?
Choose to pay. The $300 will come of in a few days. Then erase the remaining $400 with points. or the $700 if you'd like!

Question on an Amex offer, I have $15 off $75 at Park 'n Fly that expires 9/5. We are traveling 9/11-9/20, if I prepay the parking fees before 9/5 I'd still get the credit right?

That should be okay but always read the T&C
Yeah I did, and it said after services rendered or something like that, so I wasn't sure if maybe it would just be a hold and the final charge won't post until after 9/20 after we pick up the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter