I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

Travel Insurance Question

My 16 yr old son went into sudden heart failure last summer and needed a heart transplant. He hasn't been able to travel and its really been a struggle for all of us. He didn't even want his Make a Wish to be travel because "mom can do it better!" So I have big shoes to fill.

Planning 10 days at Disney/Universal obviously is the most expensive but I've always got in the back of my mind, what if he's back in the hospital? What if he's sick? So I want to make sure now that we are protected in that event. If we book everything through my CSR (DVC points through David's, 4 day Magic tickets and Universal tickets through Undercover Tourist, SW flights with pts, Universal HRH through pts, car rental with points, Hyatt Grand Cypress with points) we should be good right? Or would you still purchase extra travel insurance? I'd assume medical documentation would be all that's needed and we'd have no issue with that as he gets hospitalized for just about everything or at least ran through the ER. Also, would it cover both prior to the trip AND during?
I'm sorry to hear about your son's medical challenges; I can't imagine how scary that must have been. Glad to hear he is now healthy enough to travel. As others have mentioned, you need to make sure to get a policy that covers pre-existing conditions. Read the fine print very closely to ensure it doesn't exclude transplant recipients. I would also recommend getting a policy that has a very high medical transport/air evac limit. There have been several reports on here over the years about people incurring outrageously high med transport/evac expenses. I hope you guys have a wonderful trip (and don't need the insurance you get)!

I wanted to write a brief review of my hotel in Paris, the Dress Code Hotel. As previously mentioned I have stayed here 3 times in 1 year, so yeah, I like it lol. I was given the same room (room 406), which has a view of some rooftops, basically no view, but I don't mind because rooftops are super quiet! The room got warm because the daytime temp in Paris was around 65 degrees and the hotels in Paris still have their furnaces on (I shut off the thermostat in my room so heat wasn't pumping in). But I asked for and received a fan, which really helped.

The location is amazing -- close to the RER A, 2 metro lines and a 5 minute walk from the Roissy bus stop (direct bus to the airport). Also Printemps and Galleries Lafayette are a 5 minute stroll and there is a nice grocery store next door.

The staff is so nice, I like all of them, but have 2 favorites at the front desk.

A word of caution on the room size -- I book the superior room and it's pretty tight. I wouldn't want to stay in that room with anyone else, but I need my personal space haha. I did notice a bit of wear and tear on some of the furniture, but it didn't bother me. It is not a luxury hotel, so if that's what you want then I'd recommend looking elsewhere. It is clean, comfortable and very well-located (at least IMHO). I would leave my room early in the morning and not return until well after dinner; I would not pay a premium for a luxury hotel given I'm only there to sleep.

My first 3 nights I booked through the Cap1 portal to make use of my $300.00 travel credit and my rate didn't include breakfast. I walked 5 minutes to Joe&The Juice (I'm slightly addicted to this franchise) for an acai bowl each morning, which I prefer to possibly over-eating at a hotel buffet.

I know I said that I would probably try another hotel on my next trip to Paris, but when I was checking out I mentioned to the girl at the desk how much I enjoyed my stay; she commented that I only booked 1 night direct, but that I should contact them for my next stay because they can do better than 5% off the rate on their website (I get 5% off as a previous guest). So of course I will contact them before my next stay to see what kind of discount they can offer before I book elsewhere. She also gave me a very nice little hotel-branded notebook with matching pen as a parting gift. Like I said I love this hotel!
I agree the location is great. I think I mentioned this last year, but we walked past this hotel and the name jumped out at me because I remembered you had mentioned it.

I think you'll have to cancel and rebook the flight. If it's a US flight you'll lose the $5.60 but points will be returned instantly.

I think that you can change the flight. The CSRs at BA are amazing -- call and let them know which flight you want to change to and they will let you know if it's available and if there is an additional Avios cost.
Well, I couldn't do anything with it online, so I called, and unfortunately there is no return availability at all.

Debating now whether I should cancel the whole thing and just pay cash for a fare... ugh

Thanks for your help!

New question!

I now have a flight on United that I booked on miles by transferring URs. Boy does "seat selection" stink on a basic fare! I am clear in the back of the plane on all legs.

Do you all think it's worth paying the fee to get boarding group 2 (I think that's what it said) just so I can have a better shot at not having to gate check my carryon? (i'm worried that by the time I get on the plane back there there will be no overhead space). I don't know anything about United's boarding method/groups/whatever. And I really hate checking luggage if I don't have to.

Last edited:
I had a co-worker approach me at work asking about getting a new credit card. The problem is, he doesn't travel at all and just wants cash back.

I'm not very familiar with cash back cards, but wondered if anyone had any wisdom I could pass along to him. He currently has a Chase Freedom card that he's had since 2002, but mainly uses his debit card. His banker actually told him he really shouldn't put so much on the debit card due to the lack of protections. That's why he's looking into a new credit card.

He also told me that he would be paying it off every month, so interest rate isn't a big concern for him.

New question!

I now have a flight on United that I booked on miles by transferring URs. Boy does "seat selection" stink on a basic fare! I am clear in the back of the plane on all legs.

Do you all think it's worth paying the fee to get boarding group 2 (I think that's what it said) just so I can have a better shot at not having to gate check my carryon? (i'm worried that by the time I get on the plane back there there will be no overhead space). I don't know anything about United's boarding method/groups/whatever. And I really hate checking luggage if I don't have to.
I have taken 4 flights on United and they are always making numerous announcements about needing to gate check carryons. I can't tell you whether or not it happened because I had enough frequent flyer miles to go First Class, so I was on the plane early.

This shows the boarding groups:
https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/travel/airport/boarding-process.html

New question!

I haven't flown on United since they started the modified WILMA boarding process that puts window seats first before middle and aisle seats. Looking at the new process, I'd consider upgraded boarding if you have an aisle seat and are really opposed to gate checking the bag. Under the old method, I never had to gate check as it was only those that didn't have a UA Mileage Plus account that were forced into it.
Completely agree that the UA definition of "preferred seats" is a scam. Two thirds of the plane is either Economy Plus or preferred seats.

New question!

If not gate checking is your top priority, I'd upgrade boarding group. I took a United flight a couple weeks ago and was boarding group 4. While in line for boarding, they made an announcement that there's only 3 more overhead space available, and everyone else will have to start gate checking. If your flight is full and you're at group 4 or later, you probably will have to gate check.

I have taken 4 flights on United and they are always making numerous announcements about needing to gate check carryons. I can't tell you whether or not it happened because I had enough frequent flyer miles to go First Class, so I was on the plane early.

This shows the boarding groups:
https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/travel/airport/boarding-process.html

I haven't flown on United since they started the modified WILMA boarding process that puts window seats first before middle and aisle seats. Looking at the new process, I'd consider upgraded boarding if you have an aisle seat and are really opposed to gate checking the bag. Under the old method, I never had to gate check as it was only those that didn't have a UA Mileage Plus account that were forced into it.
Completely agree that the UA definition of "preferred seats" is a scam. Two thirds of the plane is either Economy Plus or preferred seats.

If not gate checking is your top priority, I'd upgrade boarding group. I took a United flight a couple weeks ago and was boarding group 4. While in line for boarding, they made an announcement that there's only 3 more overhead space available, and everyone else will have to start gate checking. If your flight is full and you're at group 4 or later, you probably will have to gate check.

I do have window seats on all legs and I am looking at the boarding groups (thank you @Best Aunt ) and I SHOULD be in group 3... but I also noticed that the leg of my trip between Chigago and Dayton is on a smaller plane (not sure what type... haven't looked it up yet) so there are only two seats (window and aisle)... and the last time I flew on such a plane I definitely had to gate check.

I actually don't like traveling.... ugh

After hearing y'all raving about Japan, I've finally taken the plunge and booked flights for November. Might not be the best redemption but I grabbed some PE seats on the direct JAL flight from BOS. They rarely go for less than $3k and are currently $4k+ so quite happy with getting these for 50k AA each way with about $27 in taxes. I was going to go for BIZ on ANA or United but decided that JAL PE looks decent and I much preferred the direct flight.

Anyway, the planning is now underway. We have 16 days in Japan and I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that is not enough time.

I do have window seats on all legs and I am looking at the boarding groups (thank you @Best Aunt ) and I SHOULD be in group 3... but I also noticed that the leg of my trip between Chigago and Dayton is on a smaller plane (not sure what type... haven't looked it up yet) so there are only two seats (window and aisle)... and the last time I flew on such a plane I definitely had to gate check.

I actually don't like traveling.... ugh
Usually on smaller planes it's valet check where you pick up the bag on the jetway. Looking at the flights between ORD and DAY, on United it could be an Embraer E175 or a CRJ200. A CR2, you aren't fitting a fully packed backpack in the overhead, the E175 you can fit a full size carryon, but not very many of them.

Usually on smaller planes it's valet check where you pick up the bag on the jetway. Looking at the flights between ORD and DAY, on United it could be an Embraer E175 or a CRJ200. A CR2, you aren't fitting a fully packed backpack in the overhead, the E175 you can fit a full size carryon, but not very many of them.
Thank you... upon looking at my "fare" again I think I am in the most basic of the basic so would be boarding dead last AND I don't think I am entitled to a carryon after all.

It's cheaper to check a bag each direction than to pay for upgraded boarding... so I'll just bite the bullet and check the darn bag. I hope it makes it all the way through!

Thank you... upon looking at my "fare" again I think I am in the most basic of the basic so would be boarding dead last AND I don't think I am entitled to a carryon after all.

It's cheaper to check a bag each direction than to pay for upgraded boarding... so I'll just bite the bullet and check the darn bag. I hope it makes it all the way through!
If it is an "N" fare class, I believe that is the only one that is Basic Economy and does not allow a carryon.

That's Basic economy so you shouldn't even have the opportunity to select your seat.
Weird! It did let me! And the seat selections appear on my "reservation details" in the app, but they do not appear on the email "eTicket Itinerary and Receipt for Confirmation"

I skimmed the pages I missed. Nashville didn't happen. I should be in Cancun right now, that's not happening. My daughter was admitted unexpectedly to the hospital (read between the lines) on Thursday. It's been a roller coaster of emotions. Basically daily anxiety attacks for me, living on Xanax, and back pain back from 36 hours in an ER chair. Sigh.....

More expenses adding to my budget....I really need to get a new card. It needs to be a business card. I guess I should check my options.

I did just read that the CSR is losing restaurants as part of the PP in July. Is there any card that does still cover that? Is there a cheaper/better option for lounges than the CSR? I have the surpass, but I think that was removed, same w/ the business hilton.

I did just read that the CSR is losing restaurants as part of the PP in July. Is there any card that does still cover that? Is there a cheaper/better option for lounges than the CSR? I have the surpass, but I think that was removed, same w/ the business hilton.

NOOOO! pdx does not have any priority plus lounges and i have made good use of this benefit.

NOOOO! pdx does not have any priority plus lounges and i have made good use of this benefit.
Can you link the source?

Can you link the source?

Award wallet posted about it earlier. It's on the statement, so whenever you get your next one or maybe if you recently got one it'll be there.

Their post said the Ritz card does, but you can only PC to it from a Marriott card, I don't know which one.

DH got a retention on his personal plat that we decided to take, 50K for $4K. Pretty happy, actually, because my retention back in January sucked at only 15K but I wanted to keep the card. Anyway, he also has an offer to add an AU and get 10K for $2K spend. I figured might as well as it'll count toward the retention and I would just get the no-fee option. But will I get a credit hit?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter