I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi lurker here. I'm hoping someone can help me with the best use of points on an up coming trip. I want to start off by saying I haven't been on a plane since 1996. I live in New England so our family vacations have mostly been local or cruises out of Boston and NY. But my DH wants to go to Alaska really bad so we booked an Alaskan Cruise on NCL Bliss in 2019 from Seattle. We would like to fly out of Boston on Jet Blue. We will need hotel rooms. One night in Boston and two nights in Seattle. This is what I have for points so far. UR points 80,000 and SPG 30,000.
DH has the following cards opened within the last 24 months. CSP, Freedom Unlimited, BOA Cash Rewards, AmEx Pers SPG. I have CSP (1 yr anniversary June), CIC, CIP, and Home Depot opened in the past 24 months. We also have a Chase Disney opened a few years ago. He is primary and I'm a card holder. So I am wondering how should I go about getting more points and what's the best use? From what I understand the cruise itself is difficult to use points on. Should I focus primarily on the flights and hotels? Can my UR points be transferred to JetBlue?
Flying Southwest is also an option out of Manchester. But I would prefer a direct flight.

Edited to add: I forgot about the Barclays (He has Ring and I have Arrival Plus) opened within the past year.

Hi lurker here. I'm hoping someone can help me with the best use of points on an up coming trip. I want to start off by saying I haven't been on a plane since 1996. I live in New England so our family vacations have mostly been local or cruises out of Boston and NY. But my DH wants to go to Alaska really bad so we booked an Alaskan Cruise on NCL Bliss in 2019 from Seattle. We would like to fly out of Boston on Jet Blue. We will need hotel rooms. One night in Boston and two nights in Seattle. This is what I have for points so far. UR points 80,000 and SPG 30,000.
DH has the following cards opened within the last 24 months. CSP, Freedom Unlimited, BOA Cash Rewards, AmEx Pers SPG. I have CSP (1 yr anniversary June), CIC, CIP, and Home Depot opened in the past 24 months. We also have a Chase Disney opened a few years ago. He is primary and I'm a card holder. So I am wondering how should I go about getting more points and what's the best use? From what I understand the cruise itself is difficult to use points on. Should I focus primarily on the flights and hotels? Can my UR points be transferred to JetBlue?
Flying Southwest is also an option out of Manchester. But I would prefer a direct flight.

Edited to add: I forgot about the Barclays (He has Ring and I have Arrival Plus) opened within the past year.

You can’t transfer UR’s to JetBlue but you can book flights with them through the portal. Your 80,000 UR is worth $1,000 in travel with the CIP. I’d also compare Southwest flights and see if it’s cheaper and worth a layover for you.

I’d look into using your SPG for the stay in Boston and Seattle. Or maybe look at transfering UR to a Hyatt property or booking a hotel through the portal.

If I’m counting right your DH is 4/24. Your next move then should be to refer your DH to the CIP. That’s 100k UR.

You can also potentially use UR to book the cruise, but it if it’s booked already I don’t know if you can transfer the reservation to Chase.

You can’t transfer UR’s to JetBlue but you can book flights with them through the portal. Your 80,000 UR is worth $1,000 in travel with the CIP. I’d also compare Southwest flights and see if it’s cheaper and worth a layover for you.

I’d look into using your SPG for the stay in Boston and Seattle. Or maybe look at transfering UR to a Hyatt property or booking a hotel through the portal.

If I’m counting right your DH is 4/24. Your next move then should be to refer your DH to the CIP. That’s 100k UR.

You can also potentially use UR to book the cruise, but it if it’s booked already I don’t know if you can transfer the reservation to Chase.
I think they are both over 5/24 if I read correctly (including Barclay cards).
Agree with SPG for hotel. Those points will easily cover hotel in Seattle with SPG or Marriott. Not sure your dates but I’d start checking out which hotel you prefer. Depending on which hotel you pick, you might have enough points for Boston too. Search the Chase portal for flights using CSP, then compare to prices thru the airline. I’d also consider Southwest as it may be the cheapest way to get you there. You could also apply for an Amex Delta if Delta flights work.

We’re also doing an Alaskan cruise in 2019. I’m using bank bonuses to help with the cost there.

So just back from vacation and roughly 200 pages behind. Just wondering if any new or good recent signups as far as the CSR? I know it was 50k points with $4k spend before. Just hoping for something higher as far as points.

I think they are both over 5/24 if I read correctly (including Barclay cards).
Agree with SPG for hotel. Those points will easily cover hotel in Seattle with SPG or Marriott. Not sure your dates but I’d start checking out which hotel you prefer. Depending on which hotel you pick, you might have enough points for Boston too. Search the Chase portal for flights using CSP, then compare to prices thru the airline. I’d also consider Southwest as it may be the cheapest way to get you there. You could also apply for an Amex Delta if Delta flights work.

We’re also doing an Alaskan cruise in 2019. I’m using bank bonuses to help with the cost there.

Yup you are right I forgot the Barclay.

So I’d probably look into JetBlue for DH who is over 5/24. They just had a 60,000 offer though. Since you are under I’d look into the Marriott.

We stayed at the SandPearl Resort when we went last June. We received an upgrade to a beautiful one bedroom suite which a kitchen with top of the line appliances, a dining room, a living and washer/dryer. We had a corner unit with views of the ocean and inter coastal. The Resort was a lot of fun with chess, cornhole, ping pong, a nice pool. The beach was nice but they do charge for lounge chairs and umbrellas. We had breakfast included with our package which was really good. I don’t think it is part of any of the chains but we loved the Resort and would probably just OOP again. DH and DS went jet skiing on our final day and LOVED and then we hit the aquarium and actually saw Winter while we were there. Then we headed over to Portofino Bay and Universal for the rest of our trip. We loved that area and would consider moving there when DS graduates in 6 years.

Thank you so much! I will check that one out! We are doing a beach trip in Oct, so I am surprised and thrown off that he requested another at thanksgiving. :-)

So it looks like DH is 5/24...CSP, CFU, BOA, SPG, and Barclay.
Looks like you are 3/24. CSP, HD, and Barclay. (CIP and CIC don't count towards 5/24, right, or did I not have enough coffee yet?)

For chase shutdown purposes you are 3/12. I think you may want to see the actual dates/months of those to tread lightly with chase. You could maybe open another one or two (since CSP is falling off in June) but I'd space them out some due to the 3/12 status. There have been some good DPs here recently of people getting a 3rd chase biz card over appox 12-18months or more. Not sure when exactly you opened your CIC/CIP.

If it were me, I'd start with opening a SPG biz and/or Hilton biz with amex. Then I'd refer DH for the same. Combined with your current spg stash, you'd have a nice assortment of hotel/air points.

You have a good amount of URs too. Those can be used to book through the portal or transferred to hotels/airlines. (see note below about starting with Hilton, not spg)

Are you a Costco member? They offer good cash back on cruises.
If it wouldn't increase your price you could cancel and rebook through them or the UR portal. For the UR portal, it would be best to make a ressie direct with NCL and transfer it within 30 days to Chase. That buys you some time to accrue more URs before final payment is due next year.

ETA: I just remembered SPG has no decent sign up bonus right now. Wait on that one, but add it to the list when a bonus comes back around, if it does. Hilton biz has a good one at the moment, though!

Last edited:
So just back from vacation and roughly 200 pages behind. Just wondering if any new or good recent signups as far as the CSR? I know it was 50k points with $4k spend before. Just hoping for something higher as far as points.
haven't heard about anything for CSR and my referral link still shows 50k. Welcome back!

Actually there was an offer for 100k, but I believe it ended up being in branch only. Not sure if it is dead or not.

Last edited:

I posted this in the DVC area but maybe you guys can help.

I bought a few Disney gift cards from Sams Club with the recent Amex promo. I was able to use 3 of the $50 cards to pay $150 towards our dues a few days ago. I logged on yesterday and then again today to do the same, and the "Submit Payment" box isn't clickable and there is no place to select how you want to pay (previously it was a drop down where you selected Gift Card, etc.). I tried multiple browsers and also logging in to DH's account, no luck.

Is anyone else running into this or do you have any suggestions? Do they limit the number of payments you can make via gift card? Should I try unenrolling from Auto Pay and see if that works (just don't want to mess with anything or become past due since we have upcoming reservations).

Thanks!

I don't know specifics of paying DVC points, but there is a website where I go to combine my Disney GCs into one. That could help you get around the issue if there is a limit on number of GC you can use. https://disneygiftcard.com

I don't know specifics of paying DVC points, but there is a website where I go to combine my Disney GCs into one. That could help you get around the issue if there is a limit on number of GC you can use. https://disneygiftcard.com

@bernina

As far as I know, if you want to pay DVC dues with gift cards, then you have to pay annually, not monthly. I have always paid our dues with gift cards and have needed to make payment in full at the beginning of the year. Could it be possible that since you applied some gift cards to your account that you are no longer signed up for monthly payments?

Thanks. That’s the plan for today. Combine them all and then call member services and see if they can apply.

@bernina

As far as I know, if you want to pay DVC dues with gift cards, then you have to pay annually, not monthly. I have always paid our dues with gift cards and have needed to make payment in full at the beginning of the year. Could it be possible that since you applied some gift cards to your account that you are no longer signed up for monthly payments?

I’m signed up for auto pay from checking (only option) but have been able to make partial payments against each contract using gift cards several times this year (most recent a few days ago). I still show enrolled in auto pay with next deduction scheduled for Aug 15.

I know what you mean about paying 1x with credit card. I originally thought that’s all I could do but found if I selected pay by contract it would let me select amount I wanted to pay and use gift card.

Hopefully member services can resolve :)

Looking at getting a BoA cc for my "biz" as part of a checking account bonus. I'm looking for opinions on the Alaska biz card. I fly alaska a couple times a year but rarely check a bag. Actually if my DL fall trip works out I'll be checking a bag both ways so $50 savings right there. I have no companion so no use for that certificate. 30,000 alaska miles sounds like it has the potential to be handy but is it a good bonus on this card? Should I just do the card that'll give me $200 instead for the same spend? (I have no relationship with BoA)

No, nothing changed on the points front. Last week (I think, things move so quickly) the changes to the terms changed, so after Aug 26 you won't earn UR on the $300 the travel credit reimburses, your Priority Pass benefit allows just you and 2 guests (additional guests at $27 charged to your card), and the price protection benefit is removed. So the offer details were updated with these changes but points wise and everything else in the offer is still the same.

Hi! I'm new on this thread.

On another note, I opened a 5th3rd account online this week for the bonus. Need to have DH do the same though he has to do it in person. I have been coaching him. I may or may not have written hints on a post-it for him :rolleyes1
Hey for $250 it’s worth it.

Wanted to say thank you for posting this! I opened an account this morning. Will wait 60 days for my $250.00 and close the account. Can it really be that easy? I'm hoping it works. The girl that opened my account said she's done it many times with the coupon and it works!

haven't heard about anything for CSR and my referral link still shows 50k. Welcome back!

Actually there was an offer for 100k, but I believe it ended up being in branch only. Not sure if it is dead or not.

If the 100K offer is still around, could you point me in the right direction? That would likely be enough to get my DH on board with trying this stuff out. 50K probably not but I can wait if a better offer may be coming around.

Also, another N00B question I know, but can the $300 for travel be applied to flights, or only to add on charges like luggage or wifi (the way my AMEX works)?

If the 100K offer is still around, could you point me in the right direction? That would likely be enough to get my DH on board with trying this stuff out. 50K probably not but I can wait if a better offer may be coming around.

Also, another N00B question I know, but can the $300 for travel be applied to flights, or only to add on charges like luggage or wifi (the way my AMEX works)?

I don't think CSR has had a 100k offer since it ended in Feb 2017. It was the CIP that had an in-branch offer for 100k during small business week.

And the $300 credit will apply to any charge that codes as travel. You don't apply it, it gets applied automatically as you make charges that code travel.

ETA: I doubt the CSR will have a 100k offer again anytime soon, if ever. There were news stories that they ended the promo because Chase was loosing money on the offer. They had many, many more applications for the card than they anticipated.

I don't think CSR has had a 100k offer since it ended in Feb 2017. It was the CIP that had an in-branch offer for 100k during small business week.

And the $300 credit will apply to any charge that codes as travel. You don't apply it, it gets applied automatically as you make charges that code travel.

ETA: I doubt the CSR will have a 100k offer again anytime soon, if ever. There were news stories that they ended the promo because Chase was loosing money on the offer. They had many, many more applications for the card than they anticipated.

Thanks for the info. Guess I'm way too late then. Good to know about the $300 though. That really helps with the annual fee.

i know of a CIP 100k offer, and an 80k CSP offer, but not for the CSR...
As for the $300, it applies to anything in the travel category. If it codes as Travel, it will use the $300 credit.

Thanks! I do think this could be a good option for us. What is the difference between the free hot breakfast downstairs and the Lounge access? I assume, as a fam of 6, the lounge access won't really be available to us. I don't know how you keep up with everyone, and remember that my oldest dd will find walking too far to be taxing, but I find it amazing. Yes, I have to keep her needs in mind. She has been doing better lately but I expect to still need to use her wheelchair.

I wish I could wrap my brain around all this shuttle stuff. I know it will all make sense once we are there but seems so crazy now compared to WDW.

Our dates there would be June 19-24.

So, just remember that we're just a family of 3 compared to your 6. I don't know if Sheraton will impose any kind of limit on lounge access while the SPG Biz still has this perk. Practically speaking, once the front desk agent keyed our cards for lounge access, the keycard got us into the upstairs lounge and no one up there counted or questioned us. (Keep in mind that other guests pay for lounge access by booking a club level room, and I don't think there's any way hotel employees can tell -- at least up at the lounge -- whether you're club level or got the perk from your credit card.) I recall the front desk agent gave us a paper card that might've had the number of guests written on it, which we had to show when checking into breakfast downstairs, but we never had to show this piece of paper when using the lounge upstairs.

The lounge has bottled water, juices and milk in a refrigerator, a coffee machine, tea and hot water, a soft drink fountain, wine and hors d'oeuvres during evening happy hour, and a continental breakfast in the mornings. You can use your keycard to access the lounge at almost any time during the day or night, but breakfast and hors d'oeuvres are served at only certain hours; other times, you can still enjoy the refreshments.

Alternatively, we were also offered a hot breakfast in the morning that included bacon and sausages, scrambled eggs, country potatoes, pancakes, muffins, made to order omelettes, fruits, coffee and juice. Typically, I believe this is served in the ground floor restaurant, but that was under renovation so they served breakfast in a small ballroom.

And @wendow, we've "known" each other on this board for, what? Three years or more? Since the good ol' days of the Target/eBay churn? A lot of you guys are like @disneymagicgirl says, old friends rather than strangers.

Since I've been posting about different Disneyland Resort-area chain hotels, I edited together a little map to help visualize what I'm writing about. Tagging @DisneyMandC, @SBWB48, and @disneymagicgirl too. (And I think I was missing @speedyfishy and @Jen and Ashwin. Sorry if I missed anybody else!)

9McMOKc.jpg

The bright green dotted line is the walking path from the Sheraton to DLR. For those thinking about staying at the Hilton, I've also added a (harder to see) darker green dotted line from the Hilton garage out Hotel Way, up Katella, and merging onto Harbor. The bright blue dotted line is the walking path from the Sheraton to the Toy Story Parking Lot's shuttle stop. The darker blue dotted line is from the Hilton main entrance up the driveway before merging at the crosswalk on Harbor. The solid bright blue line is the Toy Story shuttle route as best as I can remember it (it's been a few years since I rode it) -- just remember where the "x" marks the shuttle stops, drop-off, and pickups, and the shuttle will get you where you need to go.

You can also see I also highlighted the locations of Marriott's SpringHill Suites and Residence Inn, Hyatt House, and Hilton's Homewood Suites, which were all mentioned as alternatives. There's also the location of CVS and Walgreens, which have decent pricing if you need to buy something on vacation. And most importantly if you're staying at Hyatt House, the Starbucks.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter