I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
See, I was just telling DH the other day that I wished his brothers would commit to the family cruise next year, because everyone would just get cruise related gifts, like things they could use, etc. But noooooooo.... they're being difficult.

I could order everyone a shirt to wrap up if they would!

2018-10-16_11-00-13.jpg

See, I was just telling DH the other day that I wished his brothers would commit to the family cruise next year, because everyone would just get cruise related gifts, like things they could use, etc. But noooooooo.... they're being difficult.

I could order everyone a shirt to wrap up if they would!

View attachment 358824

Oh, duh, hello, you just reminded me that DH wants to get us family shirts to wear next year... That will be perfect to give for Christmas!

I'm getting BIL these Edna Mode ones. I can't decide which ones I want for DH! I like the Up ones, but I don't know that he'd actually wear them mismatched like that
And I might have to get Edna for MIL. She works with kids at school, and one little girl calls her Edna Mode :rotfl: So now it's a running joke... we bought a plush Edna on our trip last month, and are waiting for Christmas decorations... MIL has a collection of stuffed Christmas bears she puts up on a ledge around the house going back to the late 80s. We plan to put Edna up there...

I’m happy to report that making fast passes this morning went much more smoothly than expected! Considering the huge IT issues Disney has had the last few months I was shocked things went so well.

I heard on the radio that today is National Shred Your Credit Cards Day. :laughing:

My FP window opened up this morning too. I couldn't get on MDE on the computer, just got a blank screen, but I switched to the app on my phone and that worked fine. I must admit, I was panicking for a second there!

Your on the right tract....just have to make sure you don’t hit the MSR on the business cards in 2018 and put whatever spend you want to go towards the 110,000 CP points on your cards in 2019 to get the CP for 2019 and 2020

Do I have to earn ALL the points in the same calendar year? If I spend $500 on one card and $2500 on the other in December 2018, and do the remaining $500 each in January, will that qualify?

Do I have to earn ALL the points in the same calendar year? If I spend $500 on one card and $2500 on the other in December 2018, and do the remaining $500 each in January, will that qualify?
I’m going to copy and paste a prior comment I made regarding this:

For anybody going for a 2019/2020 Southwest Companion Pass: I recommend you read this thread on r/churning https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/9h4yc0/applying_for_southwest_cards_cp_late_in_the_year/ on all the ways it could go wrong.

Specifically in response to your question, This is all about having 110,000 SW RR points earned in one calendar year (for you 2019). Money spent in 2018 WILL NOT count (unless it's spent after your December statement closes...but again that seems like you're playing with fire). AND you should not hit your MSR before Jan 1, 2019 so your bonuses do not post until 2019.

Hope this all helps :)

If your talking about the $3,000MSR...in 3 months money spent in 2018 will count toward that....

For the 110,000RR CP points all have to be earned in the same calendar year
if the money spent in 2018...is shown on your December 2018 statement....that money will not count towards 2019 CP points

If you want to play it totally safe, don't spend anything on the cards until 1/1/19. Calendar year calendar year calendar year. If you do your plan above, that money spent will not count toward the 110K calendar year threshold to qualify for CP. You would only have $1K of spend for each of you toward the 110K threshold for 2019.

ETA: I think someone said that if you spend in Dec after your statement close, that money spent would go toward 2019. Personally, I'd rather not chance it and potentially lose out on a CP.

If you want to play it totally safe, don't spend anything on the cards until 1/1/19. Calendar year calendar year calendar year. If you do your plan above, that money spent will not count toward the 110K calendar year threshold to qualify for CP. You would only have $1K of spend for each of you toward the 110K threshold for 2019.

ETA: I think someone said that if you spend in Dec after your statement close, that money spent would go toward 2019. Personally, I'd rather not chance it and potentially lose out on a CP.

Not chancing it. Was Kinda hoping to earn CP in January and use on the March WDW trip. Now I see I need to go ahead and book those flights. Thanks everyone!

Not chancing it. Was Kinda hoping to earn CP in January and use on the March WDW trip. Now I see I need to go ahead and book those flights. Thanks everyone!

Are you booking with points or with actual money?

If points, make sure to book the kids on their own individual tickets.* That way if you get the CP before your flight, if there are still seats available you can grab one for your CP and then just cancel the kids' tickets, and the points go back into the account they came from.

If booking with money, you can still do this BUT you would receive Ticketless Travel Funds for that individual and those funds need to go toward a trip that is completed within 12 months of original booking. That makes the CP worth less (not worthless but worth less) since you'd have these funds sitting around that you want to use up. The funds are tied to that individual's name and can't be used for anyone else.

*ETA: Depending on the kids' ages you may have some issues. I remember when DD was younger, I had to make sure that I entered my confirmation information for her ticket so that SW knew that she was an accompanied minor.

Last edited:
Boy is the Disney website a wreck today lol. I was trying to play around with the new ticketing prices. Apparently 6 day tickets just aren't an option anymore... lol. They need to get it together!

I'm curious why you regret cancelling the Biz Plat? I have one that I've kept for the second year (I figured the mediocre retention offer plus the discount offers and airline credit essentially amounted to the annual fee) but I'm not sure what I'll do when the next AF IS due.

DH and I keep finances and point earning separate. MR points can’t be pooled like Chase UR or be transferred to someone else’s account. AUs can transfer to the each other’s airlines but you can’t pool points. When we redeeen we use just one of our accounts, whichever has the higher balance of points if possible. When that one account and it’s type of points dwindles down we switch to the other person's account and work on replenishing the dwindled account. Not a problem when we were going back and forth with each of us having a biz Plat when paying airfare with points. However it became painfully obvious how much I was using the feature after we depleted DHs MR and switched to my account. I wanted to use the 35% back on points and was unable to do it. The airfare I was looking at was discounted for Amex card holders through the Amex Travel portal. It felt like having my hands tied. I had to go a different route to do what I wanted and it was going to cost more in either gift cards or UR points. We also ran through all of the GoGo Wi-Fi passes on flights using just DHs account.

It wasn’t until I didn’t have access to these features or benefits that I realized how much I would actually use them.

Last edited:
Must be lunch break on the thread...

Did some maths.
  • DHs Hilton Biz is done
  • DHs SPG Lux has $2700 to go (less if I hit the Disney store sale :P) and ~6 weeks
  • My CIP came yesterday - I'm going to set up a few payments to hit MSR with my car payment
  • Need to do Marriott upgrade offer
  • Have $900 left on AMEX Staples offer
  • Have $1030 left on AMEX Lowe's offer
  • Have $1440 left on Freedom Q4
  • Have $2600 left on Discover Q4
MSRs are prioritized over spending offers, those might not all happen.

Now I'm debating on when to pull the trigger on SW Biz for DH for CP. The chatter on the thread the last couple days reminded me that duh, we're going to be flying the first weekend of December so we should be set for a 50k personal app. So when to do the Biz card... No solid plans to travel at the beginning of the year as of yet, but it would be nice to have the option... I figure I could always make car payments with Plastiq if I need to for SW Biz MSR. I can't decide if I should do it now, or wait until after the personal card.

DH: 2/24 - (3/24, 2/12, 2/6, 1/3 incls CIP)
CSR 8/17
SPG Biz 3/18
CIP 5/18
Hilton Biz 8/18
SPG Lux 8/18 (not on credit report yet, expect it in 2 weeks when statement closes)​

Just found out that Hamilton was extended through 5/26 in Chicago. May do a Memorial Day trip with the kids since my son wants to go to Wrigley Field and my daughter wants to see Hamilton. And I'll have two 25,000 point Marriott certificates and there are some downtown hotels that are only 25,000 points. Now to find affordable plane tickets. Everything seems to be $350+.

I totally missed this post yesterday. When does your 100k Platinum mailer expire?

As for how to fit the Platinum and MRs into your plans, the card’s $200 airline fee credit can be used to buy $200 Southwest GCs, and can easily be “dipped” twice on one annual fee because it’s a calendar year benefit that resets on 1/1 every year. So that’s $400 in SW GCs that you’re getting back from a $550 AF. Depending on the time of year you apply (and the expiration date of the 100k offer), you could potentially “triple dip” this benefit for $600 worth of SW GCs. AA and Delta GCs are also an option.

The 100k MR can be redeemed through Amex Travel for $1,000 worth of flights. SW is not listed on the Amex Travel portal, but you should be able to call in and an agent can help you redeem your points for SW flights. Or, you could transfer those MRs to Amex’s many airline partners for award flights, including British Airways, Air Canada, Air France/KLM, JetBlue, and Etihad, which are Aer Lingus partners.

I listed the other benefits of the Platinum card a bit further upthread this morning, which might help justify the big AF.
Thanks for the response, and I saw your previous post listing all the benefits too.
The offer expires November 19.
It was sent to DH. So I have to convince him to go for it.
I’ve just never done MRs before, so not sure how easy/hard they’ll be to use. I just hate the idea of not jumping on it.

Thanks for the response, and I saw your previous post listing all the benefits too.
The offer expires November 19.
It was sent to DH. So I have to convince him to go for it.
I’ve just never done MRs before, so not sure how easy/hard they’ll be to use. I just hate the idea of not jumping on it.

I am having the same issue. I also got the same mailer (at least I am assuming since it has the same expiration). I have never done the MR route and am not even sure I can complete the MSR. The whole thing just makes me nervous. We already have our 2019 "big" trip funded (though I have had to get creative in paying for it with the UR -> Disney thing ending and having to buy tickets yesterday with my stash of "free" Disney GC) and 2020 might just be to the beach at the in-laws place, so no real travel plans in the future few years.

So anyway, I have the mailer tucked away, but I just can't seem to pull the trigger yet. Or ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter