I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The PNC drama continues for my DD. Finally went through all the steps and she got - Your online application is being reviewed. What does that mean? I just assumed we would input data and bam she would have an account. I didn't realize it could be denied. @GusGus16 I think you said you had problems, I just assumed it would tell you right away if you couldn't' be verified. Is this a bad sign or do we just wait? None of her security questions matched anything that was true. We picked none of the above for all. And she had a few that said we see you opened a card in 2015.... She just turned 18, so no she did not open a card in 2015.

The PNC drama continues for my DD. Finally went through all the steps and she got - Your online application is being reviewed. What does that mean? I just assumed we would input data and bam she would have an account. I didn't realize it could be denied. @GusGus16 I think you said you had problems, I just assumed it would tell you right away if you couldn't' be verified. Is this a bad sign or do we just wait? None of her security questions matched anything that was true. We picked none of the above for all. And she had a few that said we see you opened a card in 2015.... She just turned 18, so no she did not open a card in 2015.

PNC's verification questions are whackadoodle. They do some serious deep dives on them and it's tough to pass. That said, if you had been denied for ID verification, the application would have just plain been denied.

Congratulations! Didn't you convert a bunch of Marriott points into travel packages and Alaska miles pre-merger? I'm sitting on a stash with no definite plans for where to use them. But those 8/26 rules and FOMO, you know?

Thank you! :-) Yes, between DH and I we did 4 or 5 TPs now I can’t remember. We used the Alaska miles we got to book Emirates in first RT to Maldives with a free stop over in Dubai. We still had enough points to get the Al Maha in Dubai at 60k points per night. I think it goes up to 85k or more in January. I really wish I had discovered the value of TPs years ago. Oh well. I’m really excited to see our Starriott balances back up to over 300k between the two of us. It’s enough for a 5 night 60k stay at some cat 8. Suggestions welcome!

ETA: I was also under 8/26 rules so I took advantage of the 8/23 opening day to apply.

I've been MIA the last week or so because of computer issues, but been following the thread by phone...my applications were denied some verbage of they could not verify my identity and then something about still being eligible to apply at a branch. I'm not sure what they will do with this "review", probably need to call in and check, but my worry would be if you planned to credit card fund that by calling in you would need to fund the account and may not be able to use a CC. If using a CC is important I would probably let it go a few days and see if you get any confirmation to set it up online, but again even when I reviewed DPs with my denials with PNC I don't remember seeing anything about a review vs. approval and denial.

Thank you! :-) Yes, between DH and I we did 4 or 5 TPs now I can’t remember. We used the Alaska miles we got to book Emirates in first RT to Maldives with a free stop over in Dubai. We still had enough points to get the Al Maha in Dubai at 60k points per night. I think it goes up to 85k or more in January. I really wish I had discovered the value of TPs years ago. Oh well. I’m really excited to see our Starriott balances back up to over 300k between the two of us. It’s enough for a 5 night 60k stay at some cat 8. Suggestions welcome!

ETA: I was also under 8/26 rules so I took advantage of the 8/23 opening day to apply.

Wasn't Venice on the table?

It's really outrageous. I've decided that we will take a break and then get APs, go 2-3 of times using them, and then take a long break again. The ticket prices make a short trip to WDW just too expensive these days. :sad2: If we do get to a park in the next 2 years I suspect it will be DL and just for a couple of days (or I'll do the AP thing there first).

I agree. We are DVC, so an AP is $650 vs $500ish for a 5 day pass. We have APs that will expire on Dec 31st and we will have gone 6 times this year. At this point, we are going to take a break and then buy APs again in a few years. We are not Star Wars fans, so we don't have a huge desire to see the new land immediately.

Finally got our three separate resort reservations for 2019 linked in MDE this morning. The website was having major issues yesterday, and they had spelled my mom's name wrong I guess for her tickets, even though the confirmation showed her name spelled correctly, so I had to get that fixed. Looks so pretty having everything in there! :cloud9: I think I am going to splurge and get Memory Maker for this trip. That way we won't be trying to hand off a bunch of different phones for pictures or having one person send everyone else a photo.

I'm sure the real fun will begin when I'm trying to book ADRs and FPs for 6 people... at least we're going in mid-September when it hopefully won't be as bad.

TBH, I'm a bit Disney'ed out. I think my wife is too, and she grew up Disney. And my DD -- I think we've spoiled Disneyland for her. She's only 5, but knows everything is just pretend, that Mickey and Friends are just people in costume, and the Princesses aren't the real princesses. She loves the theming and thrills, but the magic's not there for her anymore.

Disney keeps raising prices, ostensibly in response to crowds, but the crowds keep coming (and I swear, they're growing)! It's a vicious cycle because there are folks who will pay whatever Disney demands. You know how when you're stuck in traffic and you rage at all the traffic around you? Well, someone in another car is probably doing the same thing and raging at you included. Being in that traffic is being part of the problem. Same thing with the Disney parks. We went to Disneyland two weekends ago because our APs expire this month. It happened to fall on Gay Days, Columbus Day/Indigenous Peoples' Day weekend when a lot of CA schools are out that Monday, Canadian Thanksgiving, and AZ fall break. I've never seen the park so packed as on Saturday -- and we've been during the Memorial Day 24-hour parties, the opening weekend of Cars Land, Thanksgiving and Christmas week, and from what I read online it was just as bad on Monday!

I know people like to say a crowded day at Disneyland is better than no day at Disneyland. I think for us, we're at a breaking point. We won't be renewing our APs. The crowds are miserable. It's only going to get worse (and more expensive) when Star Wars land opens next summer, and Marvel land the summer after that. We ended up spending an extra $30 for MaxPass on Sunday, which was fantastic, and got in almost all the rides we wanted that day. But the point is we already spent $248 (ok, in discounted Disney GC money) on a 2-Day child Park Hopper, and had to pay another $10 to make it a bearable experience. And the crowds are still there; we just get to skip in front of most of them. We have our traditions, so we'll still go to Disneyland over Thanksgiving (when thankfully most APs are blocked out) to take in the holidays; and maybe we'll fit another short trip in some other time of the year. But too much Disney and too much crowds have made the experience not fun anymore. And the price increases aren't doing anything to help the crowds or the value of a Disney vacation.

That’s still almost $4,000 for a family of 4... just on tickets. We were able to get APs this year by using URs to soften the blow. Officially priced out.

I also am feeling a bit Disney’ed out. We spent 7 weeks in Orlando during our last AP time period. DGD refused to sit through BATB again and we left Nemo in tears. We will have had a one year break before we go next spring so it might feel different then. But I have to admit, Disney just doesn’t feel as magical as it used to.

Yeah, it has been unseasonably hot in Florida the past couple weeks (even though it's Florida, it should be cooler than it is). Hoping for some relief for you soon! And for us, we're heading down on 10/28 for a week, and running in the Wine and Dine 5k the following weekend.

The AP discount for DVC is a big perk as long as you can use it, but it doesn't make sense for everyone. Some of our friends really want to buy DVC because of that perk, but they're only looking to buy 75 points and go for a few days per year. It doesn't make sense for them to do that, but it sounds like such a good deal it's hard to see through it.

If we didn’t live 3 hours away we wouldn’t t go as often. Even with DLR trips on the opposite coast it is stressful to get the flights on points and miles for 2 of us. I know it must be far more challenging for families. I’m impressed with those who manage it for multiple trips per year.

The DVC discount on the AP is a nice perk. But direct prices now a days ... EEK!

Wasn't Venice on the table?

Yes!! Thanks for the reminder!

P2's Marriott 35k free night posted on the Premier Plus. I know DPs for this have been all over the place. Opened 10/16/17, upgraded to Premier Plus Sept 2018, 10k upgrade bonus posted 10/01/18, and free night posted on the exact anniversary of 10/16/18. Also has a negative $95 balance for the AF refund, so no idea what's up with that. Guessing the real AF will post soon.

Park tickets - looks like the Gold Pass went up too, but I can't see how much the DVC Gold Pass renewal will cost since I'm not within 60 days yet. Does anyone know? Was hoping to buy renewals before prices went up but that wasn't possible unfortunately.

EDIT: Found it - DVC renewal went from $500 to $517 for Gold Pass. Not great, but could be worse all things considered. Thinking we'll probably buy those as soon as we can (middle of December).
Thanks for the info. Our renewals are in December too. I was expecting $550 or higher :rolleyes: I will take $517.

We're skipping WDW in 2019. This year dh and I went in January after/during a business trip (I stayed while he day-tripped to see clients lol) and we went with our girls in late July. Our next trip is tentatively planned for youngest's spring break 2020; hopefully our ds and his gf will be able to join us :)

The March 2020 trip may be our last one for a while with our young adult kids. Dh would like to try Aulani as he's never been to Hawaii. I'd like to get back to Disneyland at some point--haven't been since 2014 and I grew up going every summer.

I do not regret purchasing our DVC points (160 direct in 2007 and 160 resale in 2012). We're just going to switch from the annual whole family trip :)

Finally got our three separate resort reservations for 2019 linked in MDE this morning. The website was having major issues yesterday, and they had spelled my mom's name wrong I guess for her tickets, even though the confirmation showed her name spelled correctly, so I had to get that fixed. Looks so pretty having everything in there! :cloud9: I think I am going to splurge and get Memory Maker for this trip. That way we won't be trying to hand off a bunch of different phones for pictures or having one person send everyone else a photo.

I'm sure the real fun will begin when I'm trying to book ADRs and FPs for 6 people... at least we're going in mid-September when it hopefully won't be as bad.
I think you’ll be fine with dining and fast passes for 6... just book Slinky dog first...that was the hardest for me to get .and I’m sure you’ll be booking the day your window opens
Took a trip last May with 20 people...now that was fun booking fast passes for :badpc:

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Our renewals are in December too. I was expecting $550 or higher :rolleyes: I will take $517.

Also @striker1064...I see $551 for the DVC Gold renewal. Are you sure $517?

Experts: if I renew for the Gold and then we decide we want to go during a blocked out period you can upgrade and pay the difference then right? This DVC direct contract is definitely working out for us now.

Rumors are flying to expect another AP price increase in February, so if you're planning to renew, definitely make sure you do it before then!

Also @striker1064...I see $551 for the DVC Gold renewal. Are you sure $517?

Experts: if I renew for the Gold and then we decide we want to go during a blocked out period you can upgrade and pay the difference then right? This DVC direct contract is definitely working out for us now.

I was going off this on the DVC website... is it $517 + tax maybe to get to $551 total?

https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/discounts-perks-offers/ticket-tour/walt-disney-world-pass/

EDIT: Yep, $550.xx after tax:

https://www.wdwmagic.com/other/ticket---gold-pass.htm

The price increases are insane. I’m afraid how much it’s going to be when we go to renew our APs in July. TBH though Disney will still get my money. We don’t think about how much things cost when SO and I are there. And when we took my sister we let her get whatever she wanted too. But it’s just the two of us most times. One day we will reach our breaking point and will start penny pinching. I have reached that point at sports stadiums we hardly buy anything there and when we had movies pass and went to the movies we didn’t buy snacks. I’m fearful of the day when I will have to do that with Disney. It’s funny because there was a major sports stadium that lowered their price of hotdogs to $2 and the REVENUE (not just amount sold) increased from when the hotdogs were $4. I think Disney would make more money too if the price was reasonable. Especially with soda they don’t even pay for that. Imagine how many they would sell it soda was $1-2?

I’m not sure of the exact timeline on the 30 days.... but could you PC your CIP to either no fee card CIC or CIU..
The 20,000 referral points usually take a week or 2 to show up as points pending on your next statement...so depending on when your statement closes they could take a statement or two to post
That’s a good point. I was going to cancel to free up some credit line with Chase, but I think I’ve decided to move on from them. I have CIC but don’t have CIU so I could do that for now and always cancel later. Thanks!

I did too, so glad to hear you got the 100K points! I’m almost done with my MSR.

Not completely sure what I’m going to do with those 100K points yet, but I’m considering using them + the free night for 3 nights at Swolphin next Sept to go to MNSSHP. We don’t have any Disney planned for 2019 and my wife keeps mentioning that she wants to go. (We did DLR this July but only for 3 days; last time we did WDW was Aug 2017.) Our schools will be closed for a couple days for Rosh Hashana at the end of Sept so we could go for a long weekend. The park tickets are outrageous though! It’d cost us over $1500 for 3-day Park hoppers for the 4 of us. So maybe we’ll just do MNSSHP and spend the rest of the weekend doing other things. I’d love to surprise my family with a little Disney trip though. We’ll see. I still need to finish nailing down next summer’s trips to Niagara Falls and London.

I was looking at that earlier. AP are >$1,000. We will be getting 4 of them in April, but I'm not sure how much we will be going after those are expired.

Edit: I see it is the Platinum Plus AP that is >$1,000 the Platinum is $952 with tax.
Dang it. Thanks for highlighting this. We were upgrading a ticket to the Plat for Memory Maker & discounts but at $50+ more I have to math it out again.

I've been MIA the last week or so because of computer issues, but been following the thread by phone...my applications were denied some verbage of they could not verify my identity and then something about still being eligible to apply at a branch. I'm not sure what they will do with this "review", probably need to call in and check, but my worry would be if you planned to credit card fund that by calling in you would need to fund the account and may not be able to use a CC. If using a CC is important I would probably let it go a few days and see if you get any confirmation to set it up online, but again even when I reviewed DPs with my denials with PNC I don't remember seeing anything about a review vs. approval and denial.

It did take our CC info. - We went through all the steps and then got the Your Application is currently under review page. We did this yesterday afternoon and she is still sleeping so I will have her check when she wakes up to see if she got any email from them. She hadn't gotten any emails a few hours after applying when she last checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter