• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a PRG, Ameriprise Plat, BCE, and a SPG Biz. Will one of those work for self referral to a BBP?
Edit: NM, Jumped on the 20k/5k BBP. I do love a good instant approval :smokin:

The PRG, Plat and BCE should do it. The SPG being part of another program will only refer within it's own family of cards. The AmEx issued cards and MR cards should be part of the new universal referral program. You'll have to look at what each gets as the incentive to decide which is best to use. BCE would be cashback, the Ameriprise should be the $100 we were discussing earlier this week (American Express Expands Referral Program), PRG would be MR, I think it's 10k? but I don't have it so don't quote me on that. I'd try the Refer a Friend link for each card and see what pops up.

Argh @linzjane88! I missed this. Congratulations on your approval, but I would have suggested a self referral from the PRG (Amex Gold). From the Gold, you could generate a referral worth 10k Membership Rewards points, click through to Amex’s business rewards cards to find the BBP, then apply for the 10k MR/$3k/3 months referral offer. With the 10k MR referral bonus from your Gold, the net would have been 20k MR (the same as the targeted offer) for only $3k MSR ($2k less than the targeted offer).

Still, I can’t complain too much about instant approval for a 20k MR offer, and on a solid card like the BBP!

Keep in mind that the BBP generates referral links worth 15k Membership Rewards points per approval, and as an Amex-branded card, you can refer (and self refer) to almost every one of Amex’s branded and co-branded cards, so that makes the BBP the most valuable referring card in your wallet.

As I mentioned above, Gold referrals are worth 10k Membership Rewards points, Ameriprise Plat referrals are worth $100, BCE referrals are worth $75, and SPG Biz referrals (limited to within the SPG family of cards) are worth 20k Marriott points. Referrals on the cards you have are capped at 55k points/pennies per year.

Last edited:
FWIW, I know my Amex charges may be pending for a couple days, but they "post" for the date I actually made the purchase. Still, I know that's frustrating.

Maybe that's why the rep suggested I make the "remaining" spend by today. It'll probably be ok in the end; I bought refundable things so I don't intend to actually be $535 over when all is said and done. I'll chat with them tomorrow and see what the numbers look like then. I have 4 charges that posted on 10/29 but the qualified spend amount the reps gave me only included 2 out of the 4.

@mmmears I think you asked the other day about GC sites that code weirdly at 3x on CIP and I'm not sure there was an answer. I meant to do a search to find the past conversations because I'm not fluent on that card not having it myself so I tend to forget little details. Now that search is down just relying on memory now. In my post it linked to another outing Simon Mall and it's been posted that giftcards .com does as well. I think that's the big known ones, if there are others they might be more closely guarded secrets :) I feel pretty safe "outing" these two since there are front page threads on FT for each one (which is the only way I can remember it!) so I don't think anyone was intentionally staying mum to shut you out (we just talk too much and I'm absent minded sometimes :laughing:)

@miztressuz — you don’t have a CIP?!

Guys, I'm debating a stand mixer again. It's like Prime Day all over again. But better...

Kohl's, $280 but 20% off makes it $224, $237 with tax shipped to my door. I could get:
  • $60 in Kohl's cash and DH is low on good jeans
  • $11.20 in Kohl's rewards
  • Go though Shopkicks app for 6% back, ~$13.50 that I'd put towards Disney GCs
  • Stop at Kroger on the way home for a Kohl's GC for ~$235 - even at the normal 2x points that's $12.70 in free gas
  • Use Chase Pay/Samsung Pay at Kroger, plus for the last $2ish to pay (I think Kohl's counts as a dept store) - 1185 URs (worth $17.78+ with CSR)
So I pay $237... but get $115ish via different reward programs...

As a comparison, the Prime Day Deal would have come in at around $198 OOP plus $5ish in Starriott points... This price of $237 seems within $20ish of the best prices I'm seeing in my research.

Yes, I have a problem.
I purchased some Kohl's gc's at Lowes & Staples with the Amex 10% offer. That may be an option if you haven't maxed it already.

You don't want to compare just the price but motor and capacity. Hard to know which would have been better without it.
Good point! See, I got excited :) Also the Amazon one was red, which would be almost my last color choice... :scratchin

But in all seriousness. I will go back and look...

I love my stand mixer. I actually got it from kohl's too. :) Did you check and see if sams or Costco were running specials on them? They go on sale there every so often. I think I'd wait til Black Friday info is all out, personally.
I am really coming to love MILs for stuff. What I don't love is hauling it off the pantry floor every time I try to use it. Kohls is supposedly having a 1 day sale with their BF prices. The model Costco has is $100 off through the 26th. I didn't think to check Sam's.

I believe they either are on sale now at Costco or will be soon. I have the Costco one (my second Costco one and third KA). I couldn't live without mine. I make bagel dough in it plus I enjoy baking. I will say the glass bowl is heavy and hard to keep clean. Mine broke after three years or so so I replaced it with the metal bowl (glass bowl cost $100, metal was about $40). I also wore the motor out on my last one--they don't make them like they used to. That said, my counter will be without one anytime soon:)

The glass bowl looks prettier. The metal bowl is better for whipping cream. The glass bowl got very grimy around the plastic. But to me the metal bowl does everything the glass one did without breaking my wrist! (I'm a bit wimpy!)

ETA I do think maybe things mixed a bit better in the glass. I feel like I have to scrape a little more in the metal.
I've been getting out MILs at least twice a week now. It's really nice, even if I do still love my kitchenaid hand mixer (and miss it because it's in storage). We It was interesting to read about glass vs metal too. I lean towards metal because I'm a klutz... I don't need any more glass to break. I've already shattered a few supposedly unbreakable mixing bowls.

I purchased some Kohl's gc's at Lowes & Staples with the Amex 10% offer. That may be an option if you haven't maxed it already.
D'oh, I thought about that but was thinking of 4x fuel points... when it's 4xs we get a better return than 10% with the gas, but I wasn't thinking fully - I knew it was only 2x points today, but was thinking like it was 4x... even though I ran the math for 2x... It's been a long day!

@miztressuz — you don’t have a CIP?!

Haha, I do not :) I jumped on the CIC when we thought the increased offer was going away instead. I didn't think we'd make the 5k in spend either at that point so it seemed like the best choice at the time. If I only knew then what I know now that 1) We'd come up with the 2k of spend anyway and 2) that sooo was not a limited time offer, I'd have done it different and grabbed the CIP like the flowcharts say. It worked out though, we got P2 the Marriott Biz card instead so we're on our way to Platinum and banked 75k for free (first year AF wavied). I'm sure that's totally equivalent to 80k UR :p

C'est la vie.

Best RMN I see this month is 2 off 10 at cvs. Pfftt

I saw that one, too. Not great, but I can likely use it for organic spend.

I usually stick with National, Alamo, enterprise since they don’t charge a daily fee for the length of the rental for using toll roads even if you only drive on them one or two days...DH does not avoid toll roads to/from Disney...so unless Budget, Avis etc are significantly lower we don’t rent from,them

Thanks for the info! This one isn't for FL, or it would matter more. I've never seen so many toll roads as I have near WDW!

I had a really hard time with this when my kids wanted to stay up and read because it's a bad decision I make a lot myself. The Harry Potter releases were the worst -- I might have actually promised them that I wasn't going to read any more either but then maybe did . . .

Oh, we had a hard time sharing when a new book would come out. I think we all lost sleep when a new HP book was released. Fun memories...

I see! I thought you meant it was like Nationals program( reserve mid size and take whatever is on the Emerald aisle)

You can actually go straight to the car with Budget too if you have their Fast Break program. I've done that with my Costco reservations.

I'll take whatever company gives me the best deal. But palhockeymom2 makes a great point about the toll charges with Budget!

Ah, good to know. We have Fast Break. We also won't be going from plane to rental car. I think we'll be in the city and will take a train to the rental car place near the airport (cheaper that way) since we only want a car for 3 out of 8 or 9 days. I don't think we will be on any toll roads this time.

@mmmears I think you asked the other day about GC sites that code weirdly at 3x on CIP and I'm not sure there was an answer. I meant to do a search to find the past conversations because I'm not fluent on that card not having it myself so I tend to forget little details. Now that search is down just relying on memory now. In my post it linked to another outing Simon Mall and it's been posted that giftcards .com does as well. I think that's the big known ones, if there are others they might be more closely guarded secrets :) I feel pretty safe "outing" these two since there are front page threads on FT for each one (which is the only way I can remember it!) so I don't think anyone was intentionally staying mum to shut you out (we just talk too much and I'm absent minded sometimes :laughing:)

Thanks! Someone did PM me to explain. I was curious because we're having a hard time with the MSR on this one (not really, but I want to hurry it along so we can grab the good LUX offer before it expires soon). We have lots of bills coming up, but none that accept ccards this time. And I put a bunch of travel on the CSR because of the 3x and mainly because of the insurance. Oh well, first world problem I know.

I believe they either are on sale now at Costco or will be soon. I have the Costco one (my second Costco one and third KA). I couldn't live without mine. I make bagel dough in it plus I enjoy baking. I will say the glass bowl is heavy and hard to keep clean. Mine broke after three years or so so I replaced it with the metal bowl (glass bowl cost $100, metal was about $40). I also wore the motor out on my last one--they don't make them like they used to. That said, my counter will be without one anytime soon:)
I have my coscto ad here...Kitchenaid 6 qt, 600 series, 10 speeds on sale for $249.99.

I did also see a $5 off $20 at Shutterfly which I use to buy giftcards on each card and then place a big order with the funds.

I do the same. The Chase shopping portal has paid out for me when buying the gift cards on shutterfly. Then it paid out again when I placed the big order.

I love my KitchenAid Mixer. I don't have the glass bowl, but it seems heavy so I'm happy with the metal one. I suspect there will be lots of sales on it soon, including department stores, places like Sur la Table and Williams Sonoma, and the big warehouse places. I know I got mine around this time of year at a steep discount.

I am so happy! My property tax bill came (and who would ever think those two sentences would go together?)!!! This will finish my $25K spend on Amex DL Plat so another 10K MQM and 10K skymiles. Love MQMs for painful bills :)

Congrats! Do you have to pay a fee to use a CC on your taxes? We have one coming up and I'd love to put it on a card. Is it worth checking out Plastiq for this? Sorry for the newbie question.

Maybe I'll hold off on the mixer... do my research.. be ready for Black Friday. This price should come back at Kohl's since it's supposed to be their BF price if that's what I go with.

I almost ignored this email just now, luckily I didn't! Since they have started major construction work near my workplace they are offering incentives for carpooling, taking public transit, etc. I signed up for the carpooling stuff because DH and I have been carpooling, and I wanted to see if that would qualify me for the $20 per month gift card. Not sure where it is too, but I just got an email asking for my mailing address so they can send me gift cards for Sept and Oct :)

Congrats! Do you have to pay a fee to use a CC on your taxes? We have one coming up and I'd love to put it on a card. Is it worth checking out Plastiq for this? Sorry for the newbie question.

Not sure about OP...our town takes all cards but no Amex ...there is a 2.09% fee ....so for us not worth paying them by cc

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter