I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update: In preparation for our Maldives trip I contacted the Conrad Rangali via email and asked if I could make a pre payment on our stay for accounting purposes. I received an email back with a credit card authorization form that also asked for passport information, a scanned copy front and back of the card and some general questions. DH is a network engineer and somewhat paranoid about sending sensitive information via email. So, he filled two forms, one for his Hilton Aspire and one for my Hilton Aspire requesting a pre-payment of $250 on each card. He sent it back in some encrypted fashion and a separate email with a password for them to view the attachments or something of that nature. I received confirmation this morning that they successfully charged both of our credit cards and I can see the pending charge on my Aspire. This should credit as part of the $250 annual resort credit benefit and will go towards paying the $500 per person sea plane transfer. Next year's $250 resort credit benefit will just be charged to the room on the Aspire.

I product changed my csp to cfu in August. I now have ciu. Can I PC my CFU to CF (I have one CF) already?

Since we have a holiday today (fed here), I guess I should take care of all of the returns I have been putting off at Target and Kohl’s before I go help at my book fair at DS’s school. Sadly, DH isn’t interested in the Apple Watch and doesn’t think DS needs one. And I got the Google Home and Google Home Hub since I couldn’t decide between them but now that we have the Mini set-up, I think the Google Home can be returned and I’ll keep the Hub to put in the kitchen. This led me to looking at the smart garage door openers so I am debating now between MyQ and Nexx. The MyQ charges a fee to connect with the Google Home which seems ridiculous.

ETA: DS is really bummed he has to go to school and thinks he should also have the day off since our Governor also made it a state holiday. But nope, he’ll be heading there shortly. I might have promised him PF Chang’s for dinner though which is totally out of our way :)

Wow I’m feeling a lot of love here tonight. :flower3::love:

Schwab AMEX is one of the least complicated things out there in this game :) It just so happens that I was the one that introduced the idea to our group here a little over a year ago. If (When??) I get my wife’s Schwab Plat we will instantly Ben $3k+ richer...looking forward to it :goodvibes

:scratchin going to have to look into the Schwab cashout option ...thought the last lime I looked most Amex MR cards had annual fees, so I really have to see how much cash I’d have to lay out now vs how much we’d get back later on...also if I’m willing to take a chance that we may just have the MRs if they change the rules or we can’t get approved for the Schwab Platinum

I have a dancer as well. Something edible would be great gifts for fellow dancers and teachers. Hoping to get to Saks next week. My closest one is 25-30 mins and it's the 'outlet' version, Saks off 5th...??

I don't have the card but from what I understand the outlet won't trigger the credit. You could buy a Saks GC to use at the outlet, but then you'd still need a regular Saks store. :( Unless someone knows if the website is selling less than $150 GCs now and the smaller denoms trigger it?

:( I encourage everyone to at least get themselves a throwaway Twitter account with a fake name for use in emergencies (I’m a big fan of DMing airlines on Twitter to fix screwups!)

Some hightlights...

“Worst merger & acquisition goes to Marriott & SPG. Just when you think things couldn't have gotten any worse it was revealed that 500 million people had their data breached.”

“Biggest [screw] up of the year goes to whoever made the American Express Amazon 20% off promotion work twice within a day. Very rare not to see Citi take this category out with their general level of IT incompetence.”

“Worst credit card application rule is always a hotly contested category and this year we are proud to announce that [at]chase has won after expanding the 5/24 rule to co-branded cards.”

ETA: ...apparently there is a user here back from 2004 with the handle Chase and no activity...

And now mr/ms Chase is getting a random email notification from an internet board and thinking " what on Earth...?"

While we’re on the topic of fanboy/fangirl...I may have a couple of clients at the bank that know of my CC hobby who refer to me as “Credit Card Jesus”. It’s pretty hilarious.

If the flair bill passes I think you have a new flair candidate there :scratchin
(Although I do like the latest one)

I have a dancer as well. Something edible would be great gifts for fellow dancers and teachers. Hoping to get to Saks next week. My closest one is 25-30 mins and it's the 'outlet' version, Saks off 5th...??

Bad news. The Saks benefit has to be used at a Saks department store or Saks .com to qualify for the credit. Saks Off Fifth won’t trigger. If you can make your way to a Saks dept. store and buy a GC, you can use that GC at Saks Off Fifth, where the prices are a bit more reasonable. Hope I saved you a trip.

:scratchin going to have to look into the Schwab cashout option ...thought the last lime I looked most Amex MR cards had annual fees, so I really have to see how much cash I’d have to lay out now vs how much we’d get back later on...also if I’m willing to take a chance that we may just have the MRs if they change the rules or we can’t get approved for the Schwab Platinum

You just missed an era when several of Amex’s big bonus cards like the PRG (now Gold) and BGR (replaced by the Biz Gold) has their first year AFs waived; they’re now $250 and $295 respectively, not waived. Be very careful when applying to get the most bonus points out of the application, and that often includes using self-referrals and incognito. Timing an application to maximize airline fee credits (i.e., triple dipping for the price of one AF), and actual using up other benefits like food, Uber, Saks credits helps to offset the cost of the AF.

Last edited:
I don't have the card but from what I understand the outlet won't trigger the credit. You could buy a Saks GC to use at the outlet, but then you'd still need a regular Saks store. :( Unless someone knows if the website is selling less than $150 GCs now and the smaller denoms trigger it?

Saks .com now sells eGCs starting at $25, but it appears they’re processed by a third party and no longer trigger the credit: https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/a07phf/comment/eafxb75?st=JPB5N9ZO&sh=c15a24da

https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/a1riaw/comment/eatz3qa?st=JPB5SQXS&sh=b3c36051

I believe physical gift cards purchased online still work, but the minimum denomination is $150.

You just missed an era when several of Amex’s big bonus cards like the PRG (now Gold) and BGR (replaced by the Biz Gold has their first year AFs waived; they’re now $250 and $295 respectively, not waived. Be very careful when applying to get the most bonus points out of the application, and that often includes using self-referrals and incognito. Timing an application to maximize airline fee credits (i.e., triple dipping for the price of one AF), and actual using up other benefits like food, Uber, Saks credits helps to offset the cost of the AF.
lol yep...only got into this game in May...so missed out on a lot :(

Last edited:
Since we have a holiday today (fed here), I guess I should take care of all of the returns I have been putting off at Target and Kohl’s before I go help at my book fair at DS’s school. Sadly, DH isn’t interested in the Apple Watch and doesn’t think DS needs one. And I got the Google Home and Google Home Hub since I couldn’t decide between them but now that we have the Mini set-up, I think the Google Home can be returned and I’ll keep the Hub to put in the kitchen. This led me to looking at the smart garage door openers so I am debating now between MyQ and Nexx. The MyQ charges a fee to connect with the Google Home which seems ridiculous.

ETA: DS is really bummed he has to go to school and thinks he should also have the day off since our Governor also made it a state holiday. But nope, he’ll be heading there shortly. I might have promised him PF Chang’s for dinner though which is totally out of our way :)

Our Governor shut down our whole state, schools and all. It is a bit ridiculous, these kids were not even alive when he was president. Very disruptive at end of the year final time, especially to my DD at University. Today was the last day of some classes and tests and presentations were scheduled. They are trying to make up on Friday, but this is a usual M/W class only and DD works all day Fridays. I hope it doesn't get pushed to Monday because that is her only day off from Finals and she is hoping to make it to the Embassy in DC that day for her visa. Would be great if we could go today, but it is also closed. Ughh My DH is on work travel so no day off for him.

Anyone doing some holiday shopping at Macy’s and want to earn some United miles?

United Shopping Portal: Spend $250 At Macy’s & Earn 1,000 Bonus Miles

On top of the 1,000 bonus United miles for $250 spent at Macy’s through the MileagePlus Shopping portal (effectively 4 miles/$1 on $250):

The MileagePlus Shopping portal currently has an increased rate of 10 miles/$1 for Macy’s.

The United MileagePlus X app sells Macy’s eGCs with a 3 miles/$1 bonus, +25% bonus miles for MileagePlus cardholders.

Stacking could potentially earn 17.75x United miles on $250 spent at Macy’s.

ETA: Also, Macy's Friends & Family sale is going on -- 30% off Macy's Friends & Family + 15% off Cosmetics by using code: FRIEND.

Last edited:
Thanks for laying it out. It was not comprehending yesterday :) Looking again, it figures I don't even need to change the personal since Jan 11th is the first due date, it won't even be effected. It should close the 14th then.

:hyper::hyper::hyper:

Yummmmm. We went there on a family Chicago trip several years ago

I know just what you mean :) Everytime we've done a Vegas weekend, DH and I come back feeling worn out from all the people.

I also feel that way after a trip to visit family :rotfl:

We saw them at HHN this year. I don't do much of the blogs/vlogs so I never would have recognized them. But the people we were with (internet friends - gasp @SouthFayetteFan!) did, and everyone else in the crowd... :P

SFF - the first time we met some Dis'ers was on our wedding trip, at City Walk for lunch. I was a bit nervous anyways because I'm a shy person, and then on the way there Zack told me something like he's really surprised and impressed that I set up this lunch since that was very outgoing for me to do that, and that I "talked to people on the internet and made lunch plans with them" So then I was 100x more self-concious! Though I guess we hit it off okay with them since we've seen them two more times when our trips overlapped.
I’m so jealous you got to meet them. I see people posting on Twitter all the time pictures of themselves meeting them.

I think in my wife’s case, she’s just seen too many episodes of SVU hahaha! I love you all though (and probably talk to some of you through this thread more often than many real life friends).

I would make her head explode. A quick glance at my reddit history shows I actively organize weekly meetups for trivia with strangers. It's awesome! And anyone here ever in the DC area on a Wednesday looking for something to do, message me. :)

It's a holiday! I'm being lazy today. Plus it's supposed to snow. And DW is working from home.

It's a holiday! I'm being lazy today. Plus it's supposed to snow. And DW is working from home.

I am hoping the snow stays either south or west today and Sun/Mon for a change since we typically get the bulk of it. Especially Mon since that is my girls outing to the Hershey Spa and we have to cancel 72 hours in advance or get charged for it. Which means I would be making the hour trek no matter what.

Boy you guys were busy last night! Love all the talk about DIS meetups. I actually did see someone from the DIS (not from this thread or even Budget Board) at DL not once but twice this summer! It was in passing though so I didn't say anything. I have run into multiple people from home while at WDW though! My parents once even ran into old neighbors they hadn't seen in about 10 years. Small world.

I promised to keep you all updated on my favorite reward trip I'm not taking this week- my in-laws are currently on a plane to FL for my FIL's treatment! His appt is tomorrow. We're all hoping to see some results from this as he won't talk much at all anymore. The doctors have said that his prognosis is actually better since he's a TBI patient instead of a stroke patient. I would love it if he's one of the patients that has some instant success, but it could be a week or more before we see anything. Fingers crossed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter