I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So here is something weird...

yesterday I paid off our Dec cc bills...which I do on the last day of each month, but I wanted to make sure we start Jan 1 with $0 balances b/c I am weird like that. Anyways, I paid all 3 of my chase accounts that had balances. The payments posted for them all and brought 2 of the 3 to $0 balances, but the freedom still shows the $1300.29 balance it had yesterday. The payment posted, but the balance didn't update. The OCD is me is super annoyed. :smooth:

With Tampa, Orlando and Miami available I think pretty much any airline is going to have a lot of great options for you! It probably more depends on what destinations interest you and maybe doing a more focused search from there.

I'm a big Southwest advocate if you're looking at domestic travel. Their points are VERY simple to understand and use. Also very flexible with cancellations too! I haven't paid for a Southwest flight in 4+ years and we fly 3-4 times a year as a Family of 4. If you have questions about other airlines I'm not your guy haha.
We manage 2 trips per year, how do you earn enough points for 3-4 trips? Do you transfer UR points? Or is it that we just travel during peak season from a small airport that we can't get that many trips?

Last edited:
DH doesn't want to take our girls to Europe in 2019, he thinks they're too young. He agreed to Hawaii, but I would really like to use their passports one more time before they expire, so I'm thinking Costa Rica. But I want to travel somewhere we can stay at hotels using points. I don't want to pay for lodging if possible. We are not the sit by the beach family, but love the warmth and love hiking and exploring.
Thoughts on location? And what card is next?
Family of 4
Travel: Summer 2019: May 22, 2019 to August 08,2019... 11 day trip.
2 player mode.
DH: Disney 7/16 (before we knew about this world) CSP, CIP, saving 2 spots for 2019/20 SW CP. Probably want to focus on non-chase business cards since SW CP is a priority, specially with the resent shutdowns.
Me: usaa, SW X2, MPE, Amex BGR (all in 2017). And old freedom.
Current points:
UR 160k
MR 80k - next month after we meet the 5k min spend
UA 75k

DH doesn't want to take our girls to Europe in 2019, he thinks they're too young. He agreed to Hawaii, but I would really like to use their passports one more time before they expire, so I'm thinking Costa Rica. But I want to travel somewhere we can stay at hotels using points. I don't want to pay for lodging if possible. We are not the sit by the beach family, but love the warmth and love hiking and exploring.
Thoughts on location? And what card is next?
Family of 4
Travel: Summer 2019: May 22, 2019 to August 08,2019... 11 day trip.
2 player mode.
DH: Disney 7/16 (before we knew about this world) CSP, CIP, saving 2 spots for 2019/20 SW CP. Probably want to focus on non-chase business cards since SW CP is a priority, specially with the resent shutdowns.
Me: usaa, SW X2, MPE, Amex BGR (all in 2017). And old freedom.
Current points:
UR 160k
MR 80k - next month after we meet the 5k min spend
UA 75k

Origin?

We manage 2 trips per year, how do you earn enough points for 3-4 trips? Do you transfer UR points? Or is it that we just travel during peak season from a small airport that we can't get that many trips?
Well we are currently sitting on 465,000 Southwest points. I'd estimate we've earned in excess of 1.5million RR Points in my lifetime but I have no clear records of that. That would be combined between flying, SW CCs, CC referrals, UR Transfers, and Marriott transfers. The CP has helped keep some point usage down and our younger daughter was a lap child for some of my stats provided.

In theory...2 player mode you could get 2 SW cards and a couple of UR cards and earn about 270k in RR points every 2 years plus a CP. Then switch players the next 2 years to stay under 5/24. if you assume about $250 round trip that would give you 6 flights per family member over 2 years for a family of 4 (including the CP covering 1 ticket). So basically 3 trips a year.

Southwest has just always been a focus for me in this game dating back to 2011 when they switched to RR 2.0 - I feel like it's the program I know better than any other and take the most advantage of.

Changed chase freedom to Apple Pay default. Used Apple Pay for the first time to buy some supergoop cc cream from jet plus got 10% back from swagbucks. Still thinking I’ll use most of my $1500 at toys r us to buy gift of college cards.

ETA there is a $15 of $45 google express code good through tomorrow for anyone brave (newyear15). I’m tempted to pick up a new Xbox remote.

You’re welcome. @1GoldenSun For example, next quarter the Freedom bonus category includes Chase Pay. So, I will purchase $1500 in Walmart gift cards online and use Chase Pay to get my 7500 UR points. Then, I am going to use those Walmart gift cards to purchase Disney gift cards at Sam’s which sells them for nearly 5% off. So now I get a discount on top of the UR points I earned.
Wait what? Chase pay is this new quarter????? I missed that detail..... please explain b/c this sounds perfect

Wait what? Chase pay is this new quarter????? I missed that detail..... please explain b/c this sounds perfect
Yup! This quarter is:
  • Chase Pay, Android Pay, Apple Pay, Samsung Pay
  • Gas stations
  • Internet/Cable/Phone services

Well we are currently sitting on 465,000 Southwest points. I'd estimate we've earned in excess of 1.5million RR Points in my lifetime but I have no clear records of that. That would be combined between flying, SW CCs, CC referrals, UR Transfers, and Marriott transfers. The CP has helped keep some point usage down and our younger daughter was a lap child for some of my stats provided.

In theory...2 player mode you could get 2 SW cards and a couple of UR cards and earn about 270k in RR points every 2 years plus a CP. Then switch players the next 2 years to stay under 5/24. if you assume about $250 round trip that would give you 6 flights per family member over 2 years for a family of 4 (including the CP covering 1 ticket). So basically 3 trips a year.

Southwest has just always been a focus for me in this game dating back to 2011 when they switched to RR 2.0 - I feel like it's the program I know better than any other and take the most advantage of.

Can you explain 2 player mode? I'm fairly new to this, but we open a new account in one of our names and just add the other as an AU. Should we both be applying for the same card at the same time?

Can you explain 2 player mode? I'm fairly new to this, but we open a new account in one of our names and just add the other as an AU. Should we both be applying for the same card at the same time?
We never add the other spouse as an AU. If we need a second card (usually if there is an AU bonus) I order one under MiddleName LastName. AU cards do report as accounts on the credit report (albeit listed as AU) but some issuers, especially Chase, take them into account.

In an ideal world if you have 2 spouses willing to play the game you never get AU cards and alternate apps in a fashion that allows you to get more cards with less scrutiny than someone playing single player mode. Personally we've hit my credit report for the last 18+ months in an effort to get my wife under 5/24. Then we'll switdh, enabling us to continue to get the most attractive Chase cards every 2ish years.

We never add the other spouse as an AU. If we need a second card (usually if there is an AU bonus) I order one under MiddleName LastName. AU cards do report as accounts on the credit report (albeit listed as AU) but some issuers, especially Chase, take them into account.

In an ideal world if you have 2 spouses willing to play the game you never get AU cards and alternate apps in a fashion that allows you to get more cards with less scrutiny than someone playing single player mode. Personally we've hit my credit report for the last 18+ months in an effort to get my wife under 5/24. Then we'll switdh, enabling us to continue to get the most attractive Chase cards every 2ish years.

Interesting. So, if you need a an extra card, you order it for you using your middle name? It depends on the card as to if we get an extra card or not, but usually do more than not, and in the form of an AU. So, you put everything on yours for 2ish years, and then switch to your spouse because they will be under 5/24 and can reapply for bonuses?

So much to learn and earning potential!

Yup, see below.

@hsmamato2 I hope the explanation and screen shots I posted for you on using British Airways Avios to book American Airlines to Hawaii made sense. If you have questions though please don't hesitate to ask.

Chase first quarter.png

Interesting. So, if you need a an extra card, you order it for you using your middle name? It depends on the card as to if we get an extra card or not, but usually do more than not, and in the form of an AU. So, you put everything on yours for 2ish years, and then switch to your spouse because they will be under 5/24 and can reapply for bonuses?

So much to learn and earning potential!

Why would you need an AU for your spouse or for your middle name?

As @SouthFayetteFan said, you never add a spouse who's willing to play this game onto any of your cards as an AU because this adds a card onto their credit report and Chase will count this new AU card against your spouse's 5/24 count. You've now just used up one of your spouse's 5/24 slots with Chase but without any signup bonus or separate card benefits.

The primary benefit to adding your spouse as an AU is for him or her to help you meet the spending requirement, but the alternative to that is to, yes, charge all your household expenses to that card until you've hit the spend and for you to use that card to pay things on your spouse's behalf if possible. The other possible benefit to adding AUs is some cards offer bonus points when you add an AU, like the CSP offers 5k UR each new AU, or the Amex PRG offered 5k MR for each new AU. While Chase will let you add an AU card under a fictitious name (or your middle name), Amex requires a SSN attached to the new AU for the bonus to post.

In any case, you never add your 2nd player spouse as an AU!!!

P.S. If you have added your wife as an AU onto any of your cards within the last 24 months, or vice versa, undo it. Contact Chase to remove you or your wife as an AU, and ask that the AU card(s) be removed from your or your wife's credit reports. You may also have to follow up with the 3 credit reporting bureaus to make sure your credit reports are clean of the AU card(s). Or Chase will count these against you or your wife's 5/24 upon initial review of any application for a new card.

Last edited:

If you need to stay under 5/24 to churn Chase cards or get the SW companion pass on a consistent basis then 2 player mode as described by @SouthFayetteFan described is the way to go.

I'll chime in for the other side of the coin. If your goals require you to earn a lot more points and miles and you know you will never see the lower side of 5/24 again then 2 player mode is what you initially described. Each spouse submits their own application and each gets the same card so you can double up the bonus. This is what DH and I do, assuming we can make the spend requirements. Sometimes we do have to stagger our applications. The only applications I would suggest you always get at the same time would be for hotel cards that offer a free night on the card anniversary that you plan to keep. It's easier to use the free nights if you are getting them at the same time and they expire at the same time.

As for AU's. We only add an AU if the card is giving us extra points or miles to do so. We never add each other as AU unless it will be necessary to pool points. We will add a family member that doesn't play the travel hacking game.

Last edited:
So we have some newbie type questions appearing recently and a lot of the answers center around one theme which is a great "generic" tip: HAVE A PLAN!

Said otherwise...do everything in the churning game with intent...if you look at some of the answers posted by me, @Lain @calypso726, @Albort, etc...you'll see this theme of having a plan.

Back in the Wild West days of pre-2015 this game had far less rules and was much easier so you could be relatively successful without a plan. These days, with numerous application rules and anti-churning restrictions a plan is much more necessary. Here's some tips on how to make a good plan:

1) Know your goals - what airlines help you get there, what hotels work best for you, what can you do with the transferable points (URs, MRs) that help you reach your goals. Be creative too - see what points transfer to other programs if you're trying to earn extra points (i.e. SPG to airlines or Marriott to Southest)

2) Think YEARS out not months...seems crazy but having a rough plan of what cards you're going to get over the next 2+ years helps a ton. Make sure your plan is compliant with all the rules of the various issuers. Space out applications, use AMEX Biz cards to give your credit report some relief, try to not do too many small min spends consecutively (I.e. Do a $500 min spend then follow up with a $4,000 to slow your roll so to speak). This long term plan is especially useful when in 2 player mode in my opinion.

3) Be FLEXIBLE - so you have a 2 year plan and suddenly the Citi Prestige comes out with a huge bonus and wasn't even on your radar... call an audible and grab it (if it aligns with your goals). Then get back on plan (or reassess if the plan has changed at all).

4) Don't just jump on a "great offer" if you have no use for it. Make sure it fits your plan or at least was on your radar...make sure that every move you make has intent. You will only be approved for so many cards before you start to get some push back. Points are great - points you have no use for are not! (Edit: the worst posts I see on r/churning are when somebody says "what can I do with XX points" and when pressed for more info they basically say they signed up for the card because it looked like a ton of points and they really have no use for them).

I'm sure I missed some thoughts here but the summary is that those that are most successful at this game have a great plan and are very organized. They make intentional moves that fit their goals and thus are able to maximize their return from the points earned.

Last edited:
So who's going to be the sacrificial lamb and send their spouse/friend/family member $1500 via Apple Pay?
I would test it with a smaller amount first to see if the 5X points post. You have 3 months, so you could send $125/week. That’s not an unreasonable amount to pay for services like babysitting, dog walking, etc. I wouldn’t send $1500 all at once, that’s too suspicious.

Jumping into the AU conversation, I added my wife as AU on some of my cards before I knew better, but have since removed her from the few that were within the last two years. When she applied for her own CSP last month, I had her add our DD8 as the AU to get the extra 5K points. I’ll use that card while we’re working on the minimum spend, then sock drawer it. (AmEx has a minimum age for an AU, so adding my children won’t work with them unfortunately.)

PSA: It is January 1st! If you have cards that offer airline credits like Citi Prestige $250, Amex Platinum Personal $200, Amex Platinum Business $200, Amex Platinum Schwab $200, Bank of America Premium Travel $100 your calendar has reset. Remember with the Amex cards you have to pick your preferred airline first. If it is the same as the previous year you don't need to change it. Some airline gift cards work to trigger the credit but not all. Some must be purchased in less than $200 increments to trigger the credit with Amex. American Airlines GCs do work and with Amex at $100 increments. So I just purchased $950 in AA gift cards that I don't have to pay for. :banana:

So we have some newbie type questions appearing recently and a lot of the answers center around one theme which is a great "generic" tip: HAVE A PLAN!

Said otherwise...do everything in the churning game with intent...if you look at some of the answers posted by me, @Lain @calypso726, @Albort, etc...you'll see this theme of having a plan.

Back in the Wild West days of pre-2015 this game had far less rules and was much easier so you could be relatively successful without a plan. These days, with numerous application rules and anti-churning restrictions a plan is much more necessary. Here's some tips on how to make a good plan:

1) Know your goals - what airlines help you get there, what hotels work best for you, what can you do with the transferable points (URs, MRs) that help you reach your goals. Be creative too - see what points transfer to other programs if you're trying to earn extra points (i.e. SPG to airlines or Marriott to Southest)

2) Think YEARS out not months...seems crazy but having a rough plan of what cards you're going to get over the next 2+ years helps a ton. Make sure your plan is compliant with all the rules of the various issuers. Space out applications, use AMEX Biz cards to give your credit report some relief, try to not do too many small min spends consecutively (I.e. Do a $500 min spend then follow up with a $4,000 to slow your roll so to speak). This long term plan is especially useful when in 2 player mode in my opinion.

3) Be FLEXIBLE - so you have a 2 year plan and suddenly the Citi Prestige comes out with a huge bonus and wasn't even on your radar... call an audible and grab it (if it aligns with your goals). Then get back on plan (or reassess if the plan has changed at all).

4) Don't just jump on a "great offer" if you have no use for it. Make sure it fits your plan or at least was on your radar...make sure that every move you make has intent. You will only be approved for so many cards before you start to get some push back. Points are great - points you have no use for are not!

I'm sure I missed some thoughts here but the summary is that those that are most successful at this game have a great plan and are very organized. They make intentional moves that fit their goals and thus are able to maximize their return from the points earned.

YES! YES! YES! I will also add in to have a back up plan! Sadly, programs devalue and/or the best laid plans don't pan out the way you intended. This happened to us when planning last year's Hawaii and Iceland trips. Neither initial plan worked out the way I intended. For Hawaii, I already had a back up plan in place. I wound up using a combination of my initial plan (AA miles) which worked getting us to Hawaii and the back up plan (Citi TYP and AA gift cards) which got us back home. There was no back up plan for the Iceland trip. I had planned to use Delta Sky Pesos from 4 credit card sign up bonuses between DH and I to book the flights. I severely underestimated how useless they would be for my trip. We had about 360K Delta Sky Pesos and then Delta was requiring 700K Sky Pesos o_O I honestly am in awe of the Delta hostages that can make this program work for them. Fortunately, we had plenty of Chase UR points and were able to pay through the CSR UR portal for the flights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter