• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking about getting the CIP this summer. To meet the MSR, I'll have to put a lot of non-business spending on the card, like groceries, car insurance, gift cards, maybe some WDW park tickets through UT. Will that be a problem? Do the business cards look at the type of spending you do?

My dh & I both have CIP cards. About, oh say 99%, of the charges we put on those cards are not business related. I paid our mortgage with plastiq for several months (still do this), paid medical bills, bought GC's, insurance as well...You will be fine! I don't think Chase is looking or caring.

Last edited:
Man, i feel like these SPG prices are not correct.

3 options:
10k points
5k points + $75.
$285

granted, i should be getting 2500 points back from a promo.

edit: also had a strange interaction with my dad today. he recently got the AARP card. $200 back after spending $500. I told him that was too easy. He then asked what my MSR, i told him i had 2 MSR to meet, a 10k points after 10k spendings and a 120k after $12k spendings. His face turned white... LOL.

Last edited:
Where would you point a newbie that wants to start getting serious about maximizing points for European travel?
I’ve only done the Southwest companion pass deal (a couple times). I re-opened one about 6 mo ago for the California CP offer. I don’t have any other chase cards. Hubby can open some too. We have excellent credit and can easily fulfill spend requirements by running all of our regular spending through the new card. Thanks!

Where would you point a newbie that wants to start getting serious about maximizing points for European travel?
I’ve only done the Southwest companion pass deal (a couple times). I re-opened one about 6 mo ago for the California CP offer. I don’t have any other chase cards. Hubby can open some too. We have excellent credit and can easily fulfill spend requirements by running all of our regular spending through the new card. Thanks!

could use your 5/24 status. CSR/CSP combo could amass you 100k($4k spendings) points. Then maybe pick up the CIP, that would get u 80k points(after $5k spendings).
You can also try KE or AF for 50k RT
United is 60k RT.

varies by destination.

First thing is first. How many credit cards have you opened in the last 24 months from any and all banks this includes becoming an authorized user on a card. How many has your DH opened and how many is he an AU on? That number will determine how many, if any, of the more valuable Chase cards you can get.

Which airport will you be regularly flying from? If your airport is a hub for a particular airline you will likely need to focus on that airline and it's alliance partners. For example, people in Miami, like me, would have better options for travel on American Airlines since Miami is an AA hub. People near EWR would be better served with United and those in Atlanta would focus on Delta.

Are you looking to travel for as few points as possible or are you looking to use this hobby in order to travel at the front of the plane?

What is your first travel goal? Have a first destination in mind and general time of year that you wish to go there. Then you need to give yourself 2 years to make it happen. Granted, it can be done sooner in some cases but not often. Give yourself at least one year to get your points in place and one year to book your flight.

Once you have the answers to these questions, we can all point you in the right direction.

could use your 5/24 status. CSR/CSP combo could amass you 100k($4k spendings) points. Then maybe pick up the CIP, that would get u 80k points(after $5k spendings).
United is 60k RT.

varies by destination.

What is KE and AF?

I'm back from my trip to SC and caught up after a weekend staying in what is officially The Worst Hotel I've Ever Stayed In. I stay in a lot of crummy hotels traveling for horseback riding because I'm literally only there to shower and sleep, but this one was the worst. After an hour locked out of my room Saturday night in which the manager finally had to come in at 10 pm to use some machine to reprogram my door to get it open, I was pretty mad. Especially since I had to wake up at 5:15 the next morning and was going to lose an hour of sleep to DST. Now I look at my CIP and I see the pending charge for the two nights I stayed there, plus another pending charge for an additional night. So this should be fun.

But I did get two more nights towards my free night with hotels.com...!

United is 60k RT.

varies by destination.

Edit: CSR/CSP combo would get you a total 110k Ultimate Rewards points on the signup bonus after a combined $8k spend in the same 3 months.

KE=Korean Air and AF=Air France

Man, i feel like these SPG prices are not correct.

3 options:
10k points
5k points + $75.
$285

granted, i should be getting 2500 points back from a promo.

edit: also had a strange interaction with my dad today. he recently got the AARP card. $200 back after spending $500. I told him that was too easy. He then asked what my MSR, i told him i had 2 MSR to meet, a 10k points after 10k spendings and a 120k after $12k spendings. His face turned white... LOL.
The cash price for SPG fluctuates. The points I think are standard, that’s what I paid for Dolphin.

Oh, and my face might be a little pale too, looking at those spends. I couldn’t do it. That’s close to our spending for a year.

I applied the evening of March 1 and was instantly approved but just did an online chat that said I have 92 days from March 2 to do the 2k which isn't an issue. It's my first amex so I'm guessing that's part of it along with them having to put my FF # on the card so it's not just spitting a regular card out. It said 7-10 business days in the email and tomorrow would be 7.

Just got an email from Amex - DHs Delta Plat was shipped this morning and expedited and we should get it within 3 business days from now.

Anyone familiar with Hyatt? I would like to book Hyatt Regency Vancouver in May 2019. Booking isn’t open yet but I was thinking I’d jump on it as soon as it opens because it’s Memorial Day weekend ( not sure if it’s an issue, being Canada but this Memorial Day is blocked) However my free award night won’t be available until September. Can I book and then apply the award night later?

Yes, you can do this - you have to call the World of Hyatt line and talk to an agent.

I'm back from my trip to SC and caught up after a weekend staying in what is officially The Worst Hotel I've Ever Stayed In. I stay in a lot of crummy hotels traveling for horseback riding because I'm literally only there to shower and sleep, but this one was the worst. After an hour locked out of my room Saturday night in which the manager finally had to come in at 10 pm to use some machine to reprogram my door to get it open, I was pretty mad. Especially since I had to wake up at 5:15 the next morning and was going to lose an hour of sleep to DST. Now I look at my CIP and I see the pending charge for the two nights I stayed there, plus another pending charge for an additional night. So this should be fun.

But I did get two more nights towards my free night with hotels.com...!

So I liked this because you're closer to the hotels free night Not because you got locked out :) That really sucks, I don't think we've been locked out yet but the couple of hotels at the top of our "top 5 worst rooms ever" list were so bad we're forgetting the rest of the list now ! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you the pending charges work out. That's happened to me a couple times with hotel rooms but fortunately it's always worked out where the correct charge posts and the extra one drops off.

So I liked this because you're closer to the hotels free night Not because you got locked out :) That really sucks, I don't think we've been locked out yet but the couple of hotels at the top of our "top 5 worst rooms ever" list were so bad we're forgetting the rest of the list now ! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you the pending charges work out. That's happened to me a couple times with hotel rooms but fortunately it's always worked out where the correct charge posts and the extra one drops off.

Thanks! Hoping it drops off too. Unfortunately, there are only about four hotels in this area. One has multiple reviews that frequently mention the word "bugs" so that's a no go. The other two are double what I paid this weekend... sigh.

Help SPG pro...please...

We are both new and got welcome promos for the program. I also just got the biz card and DH is going to get it closer to 3/28 to buy me time on the MSR.

Here is my promo:
1st stay= 5 qualifying nights + 2nd stay=5 qualifying nights= 10 qual nights.
I have the biz nights credited too.
complete by 4/30.

Here is his promo:
1st stay=2500 bonus points + 2nd stay=5000 pts = 7500 bonus points
complete by 5/30

So which should I prioritize. I lean towards his since he is a biz traveler. He needs 13 more stays to retain diamond at Hilton for next year, which shouldn't take more than 8wks. I was planning to have him complete those and then start working on SPG/marriott points. So him getting status is more impt than me since I only travel for kid sports and vacations.

Another idea is use my promo for our 1 night stay near airport in Palm Springs next week and Memphis soccer tourney in April.
Have him use his before it expires in May even if not done with hilton status renewal by then.

Are these both worthwhile or should I just stick with racking up hilton for now and then hit his promo after that? I'm not familiar enough with SPG/Marriott to know.

ETA: I am thinking I should skip my promo. The biz card gave me 5 nights, then the promo would give me 10 more...so I'd be at 15...still 10 nights away from gold. Any future stays would be in DHs name since he is the frequent traveler and will get to gold pretty quickly.

Last edited:
I love him too. I've read "A Walk in the Woods" 3 times over the last decade and recently read "A Short History of Nearly Everything." Glad you reminded me of him. I need to add more of his books to my reading list.
ha! I bought every single book he wrote for my DH (who's not a big reader) and then I read them all! (great 2ndhand bookstores near me)

First thing is first. How many credit cards have you opened in the last 24 months from any and all banks this includes becoming an authorized user on a card. How many has your DH opened and how many is he an AU on? That number will determine how many, if any, of the more valuable Chase cards you can get.

Which airport will you be regularly flying from? If your airport is a hub for a particular airline you will likely need to focus on that airline and it's alliance partners. For example, people in Miami, like me, would have better options for travel on American Airlines since Miami is an AA hub. People near EWR would be better served with United and those in Atlanta would focus on Delta.

Are you looking to travel for as few points as possible or are you looking to use this hobby in order to travel at the front of the plane?

What is your first travel goal? Have a first destination in mind and general time of year that you wish to go there. Then you need to give yourself 2 years to make it happen. Granted, it can be done sooner in some cases but not often. Give yourself at least one year to get your points in place and one year to book your flight.

Once you have the answers to these questions, we can all point you in the right direction.
The only new card opened w/in 24 mo is my southwest card. DH is not an AU.
Looking to maximize points for free tix and/or hotel stays...we have a big family so looking to make it cheaper (not move to front of plane).
We travel often so I’m thinking we can build points and use them when they work out. Next vacay is Cancun, but that’s booked/paid. I’m thinking of booking a late summer vacay to London/Paris and wouldn’t mind being able to use points for a couple hotel nights. Next year we are looking at the Disney med cruise, so we could focus on that for airfare since it’s further out.
Our airports are SFO/SJC/OAK, United is heavy at SFO but that’s probably my least favorite airline. I haven’t focused on a particular airline since we have so much variety serving these airports that I hop around to whoever has the best flight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter