"I"m Only Going Because My Teacher Told Me To" Nov. 2016 PTR * update 12/2 TRIP REPORT STARTED! *

Happy you got everything you wanted!

If you do manage to get BOG dinner on 11/22, we may end up bumping into each other! We have a 7:30 ADR that same night :)

Your boys are too cute! Kids do grow up way too fast :guilty:

Happy you got everything you wanted!

If you do manage to get BOG dinner on 11/22, we may end up bumping into each other! We have a 7:30 ADR that same night :)

Your boys are too cute! Kids do grow up way too fast :guilty:
Thank you ^ :) It's an exciting yet sad thing. And that will be cool if we both end up at BOG at the same time! Now I have another reason to keep trying for it that night :thumbsup2

I was PAGES behind, but I'm all caught up now! I love that Alice collection at Kohl's, if only that store was in Canada... at least we have Hot Topic here now for me to get my fill of Disney clothing!

Those old pictures are so cute!

Great list of ADR's! Our 180 day window opens in about a month, so we've been trying to finalize our wishlist - it's so hard to narrow down! There are so many places that sound so good!

It's The Little Things..........

that excite me! Today they announced that come July, Disney will be releasing limited edition Dooney and Bourke magic bands! Whoo Hoo! I'm a huge fan of their Disney bags and I have 3 so far. My current one is the Runway Princess:

And then on our January adults only trip, Steve bought me this HM one:

I haven't actually used it yet because I love the Princess one so much, but I'll get around to switching them out sometime soon! I had another one first that had all MK rides on it along with the castle, train station, Mickey and Minnie but these 2 are my favorites. So I'll definitely be purchasing a D&B MB :goodvibes

On a completely different note, earlier this week @Whit64130 was discussing MVMCP in her current PTR and asked me if I'd ever gone (we've been lucky enough to go twice). I told her we enjoyed it, but my preference is MNSHHP. We were also discussing seeing characters in their holiday outfits and she mentioned Kenny the Pirates site which lists when and where they'll be in their Christmas costumes. I used KtP a couple years ago to finally experience Characterpalooza at HS which was awesome! Unfortunately characterpalooza has changed and so has one of my 2 favorite things about the MSSHP's we attended. So, out of boredom and the fact that I have nothing else to update now, here are some pictures from our characterpalooza and my no longer happening 2nd favorite aspect of MNSSHP, the villain M&G after their stage show:

Characterpalooza on the Streets of America, Aug. 2014: (and my extra chin)

Chris LOVES Genie and this was the first time he met him:

I remember how happy I was that he finally got to meet him!

On to MNSSHP :maleficenMy most favorite thing about that party is the Boo To You Parade. My 2nd favorite thing was the M&G the villains did after their stage show through 2013. While they still had their show in 2014, sadly they stopped the M&G's that year and didn't even add any additional M&G's in the park. We still enjoyed the party in 2014 but really, really missed meeting the villains that were in the show! I know it's been replaced with a Hocus Pocus show and I'd love to see that someday, but I do love me some villains.

Without further ado, some of our meets from MNSSHP, 2011:

GREEN Maleficent! I liked non-green Maleficent at Club Villain but I missed green Maleficent

And finally, I must draw your attention to Dr. Facilier's freakishly long......finger :rolleyes1

Ah, memories.........well, if you stuck with me for the whole post, thanks for indulging me with this non-PTR related update! I promise the next one will be about our trip ::yes::

I was PAGES behind, but I'm all caught up now! I love that Alice collection at Kohl's, if only that store was in Canada... at least we have Hot Topic here now for me to get my fill of Disney clothing!

Those old pictures are so cute!

Great list of ADR's! Our 180 day window opens in about a month, so we've been trying to finalize our wishlist - it's so hard to narrow down! There are so many places that sound so good!
Well that settles it, I can definitely never move to Canada lol! I'd be lost without Kohl's, not just for Disney clothes but just in general. I spend way too much money there overall!

I know what you mean about too many choices when picking ADR's :crazy: I had such a hard time picking mine and I'm still considering a couple more, except I don't want to take any that I already have off!

You've got me laughing again with Dr. Facilier's....finger. :rotfl:I would love to be able to meet all of those villains! We caught characterpalooza last year inside the gate by the Tower of Terror exit and it was a highlight of the trip. I didn't tell my kids what was coming, just told them to have their autograph books ready. When the gates swung open their eyes got huge. Loved being able to meet that many characters, some unavailable elsewhere, that quickly. I'm hoping we can catch it again next week, but we'll see.

I haven't actually used it yet because I love the Princess one so much, but I'll get around to switching them out sometime soon! I had another one first that had all MK rides on it along with the castle, train station, Mickey and Minnie but these 2 are my favorites. So I'll definitely be purchasing a D&B MB :goodvibes
Love the Dooney's!!! I purchased the HM tote on our last trip but decided it was too big and sold it. I plan on getting a pouchette this trip. I am in love with the Best of Mickey pattern! Maybe I will need the magic band that matches:cool1:

Chris LOVES Genie and this was the first time he met him:
I've never met Genie before :sad2:

I know it's been replaced with a Hocus Pocus show and I'd love to see that someday, but I do love me some villains.
I can't say much for the previous show but I loved the Hocus Pocus, it might be because I grew up watching the movie over and over and over.

And finally, I must draw your attention to Dr. Facilier's freakishly long......finger :rolleyes1
Creepy!
Super glad you did a post on this! Hope we can do characterpalooza this year!

I love that Haunted Mansion bag! I think I might actually need to incorporate the cost of buying one of those into my budget for our Disney trip next year...

I love all of the throw-back pictures!

Cute D&B bags! I got my first one and love using it!

I miss the Villian M&G too. I haven't seen the new Hocus Pocus show but it got great reviews last year. I'll need to sign up for KtP and check out the new Characterpalooza stuff. The last time we did it, it was back by the exit for Tower of Terror.

Love all the throwback villain pics. Characterpalooza was always on my list of things to do but sadly we never did. It's gone now right?????

OMG can I tell you guys how ANNOYING it is that my stupid computer still won't let me multi-quote? :furious: Have to remember to have Steve check that out ASAP!

You've got me laughing again with Dr. Facilier's....finger. :rotfl:I would love to be able to meet all of those villains! We caught characterpalooza last year inside the gate by the Tower of Terror exit and it was a highlight of the trip. I didn't tell my kids what was coming, just told them to have their autograph books ready. When the gates swung open their eyes got huge. Loved being able to meet that many characters, some unavailable elsewhere, that quickly. I'm hoping we can catch it again next week, but we'll see.
His finger jumped out at me as soon as I saw the picture LMAO! I assume you know that characterpalooza has moved from the ToT exit now........not sure you'll even read this since you're IN DISNEY right now :cheer2:, but I do hope you catch it! I didn't tell the boys either the first time we did it; we actually caught it twice on that trip.
I love that Haunted Mansion bag! I think I might actually need to incorporate the cost of buying one of those into my budget for our Disney trip next year...

I love all of the throw-back pictures!
Thanks! The coolest thing about having a Disney D&B is all the comments you get at home when using it, so I think planning one into your budget is a great idea ::yes::

I've never met Genie before :sad2:

I can't say much for the previous show but I loved the Hocus Pocus, it might be because I grew up watching the movie over and over and over.

Super glad you did a post on this! Hope we can do characterpalooza this year!

Genie is kind of hard to meet now. Other than his appearances during characterpalooza, and actually he shows up there quite often, he's only out for the parties and usually rotates. So you get like Aladdin and Abu and then the next set will be Jasmine and Genie. If you manage to do characterpalooza this year you'll have double the chance since you're also doing MVMCP!

Cute D&B bags! I got my first one and love using it!

I miss the Villian M&G too. I haven't seen the new Hocus Pocus show but it got great reviews last year. I'll need to sign up for KtP and check out the new Characterpalooza stuff. The last time we did it, it was back by the exit for Tower of Terror.
Isn't it cool how many comments you get when using the bag?? Which one did you get?

I read all the great reviews about Hocus Pocus also and hope to get back to MNSSHP real soon. My kids don't get an Oct. break other than Columbus day and the one Jewish holiday and they're not at the same time, and with Ricky going into high school :scared1: in Sept. it's just not the best time for us to go down anymore unfortunately. Doing Club Villain in Jan. was great for meeting some villains but now I believe they ended that last month, too :(
Characterpalooza has moved from Tot now.....I'm hoping to catch it again in Nov!

Love all the throwback villain pics. Characterpalooza was always on my list of things to do but sadly we never did. It's gone now right?????
They do still do it, try catching it in August! It's really cool. KtP lists the locations and times on his paid site which I haven't subscribed to but I think it's only $6.99. He also asks that those who do subscribe don't post the location and times because the issue in the past, and reason he moved the info to his paid site, was that too many people found out and were demanding it occur (occasionally it doesn't) and then were trampling other guests and being a little pushy-shovey with the characters once they came out. So Disney wants to keep it more on the down-low now I guess.
It's a shame something so cool and that is supposed to be random and a surprise got out of control.

"I'm only going because my teacher told me to", or "When my 10 year old gave his approval for this trip"

Even though we booked CSR, Steve and I really wanted to rent DVC points again to stay deluxe. We weren't sure where; the two of us stayed a few nights at AKV back in January and I fell in love so that was my first choice. Even though Steve really liked it there his first choice always has been the Epcot area resorts. We've stayed at BWV 4x and except for our trip last Nov., all have been great. You can't beat the location! However I'm not up for another stay there quite yet so his first choice was Beach Club, which would be new to us.

After much deliberation we decided to contact "our guy" and see what was available for our nights at BCV, because after the refurb they'll have something that worked well for us last Nov. that AKV doesn't have:

That's the pull-down Murphy bed at the BW, which was a lifesaver for us! It meant no arguments at night from the boys, Chris fit perfectly and even though we were in a studio they each had their own "space". It really was great to have so BCV won over AKV. We got set with our guy but unfortunately had to waitlist Thanksgiving night; not surprising since this was just 2 weeks ago so like 8 months out! It was decided that at his 7-month window he'd see what else was available and if we chose not to wait it out we could move somewhere for our last 2 nights. Done!

I filled in the boys and Ricky was more than happy with the change. I thought Chris would be since he's let me know CSR wasn't his first choice and he'd commented on not staying in the BW area, but he still wasn't thrilled with the trip in general. Have I mentioned he hates flying? Thinks it takes too long and he gets bored, even with JetBlue's TV. And it's less than a 3 hour flight.! He also doesn't like missing school. Our elementary schools have a half day the Monday before Thanksgiving so he'll only actually miss 1.5 days to Ricky's 2 and they do nothing before the holiday, but he's at the top of his class and hates to make up work.

Before anyone thinks I'm mean for making him miss school, the last 2 years his teachers have given him some work to take with him ONLY because he begs!! In 3rd grade and last year in 4th both teachers told him and I that he's so far ahead he doesn't need to do anything while we're gone, but he kept hounding them for work so they threw some worksheets at him.......yes I'm thankful and proud of how well he does and that he likes school so much. But I'm not thankful when I have to bring him in late or pick him up early for a Dr. appt. and he whines like an Italian mother at her sons funeral about missing schooltime!

The morning after we got our reservation set I went to the school early for PTA stuff. Chris was with me and we happened to see his current teacher in the hall. She and her family stay at BC every August, so I told her we'd be there in Nov. She started jumping up and down, telling Chris how awesome it is. Then she had her 8 year old daughter tell Chris the "best" part of staying there - swimming in Storm Along Bay late at night and then getting ice cream at Beaches and Cream. Sounds good to me! My sourpuss was smiling. I told his teacher he was upset about missing school and she laughed, reminding him how great a student he his and that they do no meaningful work the week of Thanksgiving. Good to hear from a teacher, right?? But it was what Chris needed.

About that time another teacher, Ricky's former 5th grade teacher came down the hall and heard us talking. She's also a friend of mine and will more than likely have Chris in her class next year. His current teacher told this one about Chris's hesitation to go away in Nov. due to missing those 1.5 days and she was like "WHAT?? Why don't you want to go?? You'll miss nothing those days and everyone will wish they were you!"

And with that, he turned to me and said, "Fine, we can go. But I only decided I'll go because my teacher told me to".

Whatever gets you there, kid! Later that day his teacher texted me that during snack he was asking her questions about the Beach Club so I knew we were solid.

Until that evening when I got an email back from "our guy"..........

Umm...LOL!!! Your kiddos are so funny! This post caught my attention because I am a teacher. Too cute!

His finger jumped out at me as soon as I saw the picture LMAO! I assume you know that characterpalooza has moved from the ToT exit now........not sure you'll even read this since you're IN DISNEY right now :cheer2:, but I do hope you catch it! I didn't tell the boys either the first time we did it; we actually caught it twice on that trip.

I caught it, thanks! :) And yes, we are here! Already loving it and we haven't even really gotten started yet.

Last edited:
Umm...LOL!!! Your kiddos are so funny! This post caught my attention because I am a teacher. Too cute!
:welcome: and thank you for not yelling at me for taking them out of school lol! Yes they're hysterical - some of the time :rolleyes: I guess the most important thing is that when they're in public, other people find them funny and charming. I'd rather they save the sassiness for me!

Just a quick update and a huge shout-out (can I still say that, or am I totally showing my old age here?) to @Whit64130 for hooking me up with the perfect BOG dinner reservation on 11/22 :hug: :thumbsup2 :dancer:She was going to be dropping one, knew I was looking for one on that date and coordinated it perfectly with me so I was able to snatch it up. Now I don't have to rely on the TP reservation finder or spend any time checking between now and November!

Thank you so much Whitney :goodvibes We all greatly appreciate it and I enjoyed chatting with you!

Now I get to do a little moving around of my other ADR's - like I wouldn't of done that over the next 5 months, anyway :rotfl2:

I just read through your report and just wanted to say hi and that I love your shopping updates! One of the most fun things about vacation is shopping for it to me! Lol

I just read this PTR after reading your other trip reports! I love all the new Disney outfits you've found at Kohls and Hot Topic! I'm going to WDW the first weekend in December and have been having so much trouble getting ADRs for the first time ever. And it's just me and DH! I wouldn't think two people would be so difficult. I got BOG for one day in our trip after trying later in the morning, but it wasn't the optimal day. And I could only get Ohana at 3:35pm. So maybe do breakfast, Ohana, and then a snack later in the evening?

I love that you guys rent DVC points a lot. It's something I really want to try, but I get nervous about since you can't really cancel your trip in case anything happens. What is your favorite method/website to book?

I just read through your report and just wanted to say hi and that I love your shopping updates! One of the most fun things about vacation is shopping for it to me! Lol
Hello and Thank you for coming by :goodvibes I agree, the shopping is a big part of getting ready for the trip! At first I was going to hold off buying things since we still have a ways to go, but I just can't help myself lol. I know I want some warmer tops in case it's chilly (last year over Thanksgiving we did need sweatshirts a few nights) so I'll do my best to wait at least until the end of summer to get them!
I noticed you have a PTR going - I'll stop over first chance I get :)

I just read this PTR after reading your other trip reports! I love all the new Disney outfits you've found at Kohls and Hot Topic! I'm going to WDW the first weekend in December and have been having so much trouble getting ADRs for the first time ever. And it's just me and DH! I wouldn't think two people would be so difficult. I got BOG for one day in our trip after trying later in the morning, but it wasn't the optimal day. And I could only get Ohana at 3:35pm. So maybe do breakfast, Ohana, and then a snack later in the evening?

I love that you guys rent DVC points a lot. It's something I really want to try, but I get nervous about since you can't really cancel your trip in case anything happens. What is your favorite method/website to book?

Hello there and :welcome: Hope you enjoyed my other trip reports and thanks for reading them! Hot Topic and Kohls are very dangerous stores ::yes:: It stinks having Hot Topic almost right next door to Auntie Anne's pretzels in my mall, because I grab one of them almost every time I'm up there....which means I go in HT every time I'm up there :bitelip:
That's exciting about your upcoming trip, but I'm sorry you're having so much trouble getting ADR's. I'm positive it has to do with free dining if it's going on when you're there. I remember last Nov. people had a horrible time getting ADR's but we lucked out and got what we wanted. It's also amazing BOG is still so popular! What meal did you get that for? We LOVE it for dinner! The good thing about it not being on the best day is that it's not as hard switching days around for 2 people as it is if you had more, so hopefully you can make it work :) Your 'Ohana plan sounds good too, having a snack later in the evening. Have you eaten there before? Because you will be FULL afterwards! So really, being able to walk off all that good 'Ohana food rather than going to bed soon after is a plus! But keep looking for a better time and also a BOG on the day you want; stuff opens up all the time!

Yes, renting points can be nerve-wracking and certainly was the first couple times we did it. We were lucky enough to find a guy through someone here on the Dis who we've rented through successfully and we trust. We like renting directly from the owner because generally they rent for less than the rental sites. However there is more risk. Our guy does give us a window for cancelling and also for switching dates which many owners and the rental sites don't give you which is another reason we like him. However for this trip, he didn't have the points for BCV so we've rented from my younger sons' teachers' SIL :p, which so far seems to be working out fine.

In the past we've rented from other owners and held our breath; we've rented from Davids which has an extremely good reputation and been happy. Again though, through him you can't cancel or change dates. It's amazing how much cheaper it is overall to rent points though! If you ever have any more questions I'd be happy to answer them if I can. There's also a forum on here for DVC you can visit that should help you, too.

It's also amazing BOG is still so popular! What meal did you get that for? We LOVE it for dinner!

Dinner! I had it in January during my bachelorette with my friends and loved it, but DH has only had it for lunch. And we can't mark it complete on our Disney Dining Bucket List unless we both have eaten there. :)

Your 'Ohana plan sounds good too, having a snack later in the evening. Have you eaten there before? Because you will be FULL afterwards!

Oh great! Neither of us have done Ohana, but it looks so fun. We'll be going to EPCOT in the morning/early afternoon, then to MK, so I'm actually thinking this could be a quite convenient food time!

Yes, renting points can be nerve-wracking and certainly was the first couple times we did it. We were lucky enough to find a guy through someone here on the Dis who we've rented through successfully and we trust. We like renting directly from the owner because generally they rent for less than the rental sites. However there is more risk. Our guy does give us a window for cancelling and also for switching dates which many owners and the rental sites don't give you which is another reason we like him. However for this trip, he didn't have the points for BCV so we've rented from my younger sons' teachers' SIL :p, which so far seems to be working out fine.

Thank you for the advice! I'll definitely check out the DVC boards here for more info.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter