• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I Missed American Idol Tonight...Can Someone Fill Me In???

TwinMom7

Proud Mom of a United States Marine
What was the theme?

Guest judge?

Who will be "going" this week???

No guest judge.

Each contestant sung 3 songs - 1 selected at random, 1 selected by the judges, and 1 selected by themselves.

Who's going? Who knows!

Quentin Tarantino was there. I kept waiting for Samuel L. Jackson to show up and start blowing people away. ;)

Songs that were "random" -

Band of Gold - Kim
Signed Sealed Delivered - Ruben
Vincent (Starry, Starry Night) - Clay

Songs chosen by judges -

Anyone Can Have a Heart - Kim
Smile - Ruben
Mack the Knife - Clay

Songs chosen by contestants -

Inseparable - Kim
I don't remember what Ruben picked (!!!!)
Unchained Melody - Clay

Kim had 3 great performances
Clay botched Vincent (forgot the words...), but Mack the Knife was wonderful, and Unchained Melody different, but nice
Ruben was Ruben - but thought he was going to croak after having to sing 3 songs for 90 seconds each - what WILL this boy do on a tour??

Originally posted by CookieGVB

Ruben was Ruben - but thought he was going to croak after having to sing 3 songs for 90 seconds each - what WILL this boy do on a tour??

LoL! :teeth: I was wondering that myself! I love Ruben and everything, but I honestly thought he was on the verge of a heart attack with all the sweating and panting he was doing! I could understand if he actually moved around the stage, but all he was doing was pointing and gyrating!

I think I may be the only one (the judges liked Ruben's performances) but I felt that the 2nd song he did was not good at all. I thought he missed a number of notes in it. The judges said he nailed it though. Go figure. He also sounded very raspy to me in the 2nd and 3rd songs....

Its weird, every Tuesday I have a new favorite. This week I thought Kim did the best.

I guess I'd be happy with any of the 3 winning.

Clay performed poorly on his first song--even forgot a couple of words--not a memorable performance. The song itself was rather lame, too--who put that little diddy in there? He redeemed himself thoroughly with Mack the Knife and Unchained Melody. Wow!

I thought Ruben did okay, but it was all typical Ruben--good voice, no substance and don't even try to count the arm reaches to the audience--my kids did and lost track about 18x in one song! ;)

Kimberley was good on Band of Gold--how she managed to pull a song she'd already sun is beyond me. I thought her second song was a bit weak and the third okay, too.

When I think back over the evening, I don't find any of the performances memorable except Clay's final two. Without the list above, I wouldn't have remembered the songs other than Clay's and Kim's first. Maybe it's just a "senior moment" or maybe they just don't stand out as memorable? ;)

I agree about Clay's first song, it wasn't great, but you've got to give him props. Vincent has about 5 times the number of words to remember than Signed Sealed Delivered or Band Of Gold. I wish he had gotten a great song, but he drew it from a bowl, it was out of his hands. As for his last two songs, WOW WOW!!!!!

If I remember correctly, back during the first AI, Kelly C. said that her voice really suffered towards the end. If you're not used to singing constantly and you're not singing 'correctly' your voice will sound just like Ruben's did last night. I've loved Ruben up to this point, but I think he's gonna be in trouble if he has to sing as much as it looks like they're going to next week. I too, am concerned about his health. In a way, I'm hoping he doesn't make the cut. I'm not sure how the strain of being the winner and all the 'stuff' that goes with it would affect him. Clay on the other hand is definatly singing from the right place. No strain at all. But can he be a 'pop' singer? Kimberly is fine. I just can't warm up to her.

I think Ruben will go. By the 3rd song, he was starting to get a little off key and was really struggling with a song that should have, by all rights, showcased his talent.

If the voting was actually done according to who should be left, then it will be Kmberly and Clay. Ruben should be gone.

I have to agree. I didn't get the raves for Ruben last night from the judges at all. He seemed off to me last night (and I usually love Ruben).

Clay was Clay. If you can get past the facial expressions, he's wonderful to listen to. Last night was no exception....Unchained Melody was awesome IMO. I'll forgive the Vincent flubber, 'cuz I can't stand that song anyway.

Kimberly has definitely stepped up her game. She's showing better range and control each week.

I really don't think it matters how Ruben sings, he will get rave reviews from the judges. It is just not right that they don't give an honest review of his performances. I tried to vote for Clay for 1 1/2 hours straight last night and only got through 1 time, I was so frustrated. The only thing I can think is maybe it's because I am so close to Charlotte , the circuits must have been swamped.

I don't think it had anything to do with the Charlotte area. I tried for an hour, and never got through once!

This was the refrain I heard over and over. . .well, that and a flat out busy signal. . .as I tried to dial Clay's line last night from just before 9 until 10. I managed to get through though. . .eventually, after about 15-20 mins of nonstop redial. :D

Most concerts use recordings, these people are not superhuman.

I didn't think Ruben did well in song #3 at all. What shocked me was the reaction of the judges??? :confused:

I liked "Starry Starry Night" even with the flubbed words. I don't think Clay deserved the criticism he got. He was AWESOME for te last two songs, however.

Kimberly as good but she just doesn't have any star quality IMHO.

VERY curious as to how this turns out.

I wondered about the fairness of including a song that Kimberly had already sung before in the competition. She sang "Band of Gold" with Frenchie, remember?

And, they must have had 3 different bowls for them to choose from. No way would they have let or expected Ruben to sing a difficult song like Vincent.

I did finally get through for Clay, but the lines were busy non-stop for an hour and half.

As much as I loved Clay's "Unchained Melody" last night - I still think the best performance/song of the entire competition thus far was his "Solitaire." JMHO

What was with Vincent?? What other lame songs were in that bowl? MacArthur Park?? Legend of the Green Beret??:mad: Give me a break. That song was boring even when Don McLean sang it.

And don't tell me that Ruben didn't fake the words for Signed, Sealed, Delivered. I was going along and thinking "HUH?? This song isn't just "signed, sealed delivered" repeated over and over and over..........":(

I wasn't overly impressed with Ruben last night. Kim has never thrilled me.

I saw Josh's interview on the Today Show last week. They asked his opinion of the final outcome. He said that Clay was the best singer, but that Ruben is the one being promoted and pushed to be the winner.

We'll just have to wait and see.

I got through only once for Clay during the first half hour, but was able to get through a few more times during the second hour.

I agree that Clay did the best he could do with "Vincent." What a terrible random choice for him. I didn't realize he forgot the words until the judges pointed it out.

I think the random songs were rigged. How convenient that Kimberley got to sing a song that she "loved" and had already sung early in the auditions. Give me a break. The producers want a male and a female in the final round. Period.

I like Ruben. He's always been my second choice. But his voice sounded very rough last night. Not smooth. Like he was straining. I was disapppointed in his performance.

I have NO predictions! Who knows what will happen!!!!

GO CLAY!!!!

What was with Vincent?? What other lame songs were in that bowl? MacArthur Park?? Legend of the Green Beret?? Give me a break. That song was boring even when Don McLean sang it.
Hey Reg,
What's wrong with "Ballad of the Green Beret?" LOL
laughing-smiley-003.gif

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter