• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I Missed American Idol Tonight...Can Someone Fill Me In???

I tried voting for Clay last night for about an hour and just gave up. I hope he got enough votes to be in the final two.

I agree with most everyone here. I didn't "love" Ruben at all last night. He started all of his songs well, but by the end he was definitely straining and sounded like he was yelling rather than singing. Kimberly was very good, but looking back over the whole competition, she has been very inconsistent. I don't think she deserves to win. Clay was the best, IMHO. Yes, he got a very difficult song with Vincent (BTW, I love that song), and yes he forgot "Now I think I know...", but he still sounded very good. His last two songs were great!
I tried to vote for Clay for 1 1/2 hours straight last night and only got through 1 time, I was so frustrated. The only thing I can think is maybe it's because I am so close to Charlotte , the circuits must have been swamped.
I tried for 1 hr. 40 min. nonstop, and got through 3 times. I guess that means a lot of people were voting for him? Then I got to thinking, what happens if people get through and just stay on the line and don't hang up? That would clog up the lines and prevent that person from getting votes, no? :(

I, too, am leaning towards the rigged theory.
How odd that Kimberly happened to have in the bowl a song that she already sung. (She sang "over the rainbow" three different weeks during the first stages of American Idol). One would think
that they would have only put in songs that no one has performed on stage yet.
Also, Ruebens random song was so easy compared to Clays and
Kimberlys. One would hope that in the random bowl would be unique songs, but around the same difficulty.
Earlier in the show Simon told Clay that he did not "look" like an
American Idol.
My final last thought towards the rigged theory is I tried all night
to vote for Clay and never got through.
However, if Clay makes it to the next round my rigged theory leanings will be disproved.:p

Gee, it always makes me wonder when it is so hard to get through for one of the singers - they are missing a lot of votes!! So does someone with fewer people calling get more votes because the voters can get through.....

I constantly redialed last night for 25 minutes before I finally got a vote for Clay.

My husband never watches but caught Ruben singing - he asked does that guy ever move around - why is he sweating!

I think Kim will go tonight, just because I think the fan bases for Clay and Ruben are more rabid. :p (I fully admit I drool whenever Clay sings...)
I thought Clay's first song was pretty bad, but his second one was GREAT! And then I stupidly answered the phone during Unchained Melody. Why, why, why did I do that?? I missed most of the song and all the judges' comments!!
Ruben sounded scratchy to me. I really don't think he can keep up the tempo -- what's going to happen when he has to sing an entire song? Or two in a row?
Kim was good, but a bit to "breathy" for me. I think she's gotten much, much better, but I don't think she's consistent enough or has the necessary fan base to stay.

for Clay, I hope his line wasn't blocked!:eek: It wouldn't surprise me though.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by dvcreg

I saw Josh's interview on the Today Show last week. They asked his opinion of the final outcome. He said that Clay was the best singer, but that Ruben is the one being promoted and pushed to be the winner.

Do i ever agree with that!!!!!! This competition is supposed to be American Idol and not the Judges' Idol. It annoys me when the judges are trying to promote their favorite. I wish they would give their opinion on the performance and not try to judge the entire competition with each comment.

I also totally agree with Robin in that I thought Clay's first song was good and that the praise for Ruben was definately undeserved.

What was up with the judges' choices? Can't they pick songs that are a little more current?

I think they picked "classic" songs for them to perform. They also needed to get permission to perform whichever songs were chosen, so I'm sure that was a big part of the songs they chose.

Rumor has it (a friend of Clay's posted on the official message boards) that the producers asked Clay to add another verse to Vincent "at the last minute" because they had so much time left in the show. Remember when Ryan was S-P-E-L-L-I-N-G out Vote? Not sure what I believe about that - the truth is bound to come out after the competition is over.

Personally, I think they tossed crappy songs into Clay's bowl to give him a "handicap," because I believe he's been running away with the votes the entire time. They wanted to even out the playing fields a bit.

I to am getting suspicious about the voting I never got in and I called for two hours non-stop. Mother the same. And hubby on the cell phone. I am so dissapointed my vote did not count.
I went to fox . com and complained, I am getting very suspicious.
Clay had better advance.

Hey, everybody. I'm back for at least a little while because it's summer break and my CNA classes don't start for a week. Everything's going great with me and Roger and the kids. Now that that little bit of off topic posting is over with, I'm a major Clay fan (changed from Ruben).....I got through 130 times in the two hours last night.

Posted by HOneywolf7:
I got through 130 times in the two hours last night.
Is that a typo, or did you really get through 130 times? I dialed nonstop for 1 hr and 40 mins., and got through 3 times! :mad:

not a typo....I'm thinking they may have added more phone lines in NC and the bordering states.

Originally posted by GoldenGate
This article might be of interest to us American Idol and Clay fans.

http://www.salon.com/ent/feature/2003/05/14/idol/index.html

OMG, I just started reading the first page, I cannot believe the card that's being raised in that one.... Personally, over the course of the last several weeks, I've watched Clay sing higher, lower, slower, faster & even throw in a dance or two... Watching Ruben, it's been the same tone all the way through... That tone is wonderful mind you, but it's not like Clay, who seems to be able to sing in any octave wonderfully... Clay is more talented, JMHO...

Oh & I concur, the line was busy for Clay, just about the whole two hours last night, I got through MAYBE 10 times...

I am totally not buying that it is a race issue (I didn't read the whole article, but totally disagreed with the lead). I didn't watch last season so really don't know about the Tamyra thing - but I thought that was a problem where Nicki had excessive numbers of people voting for her a zillion times, kind of like Carmen.

Everyone is pushing Ruben as the winner even on days he doesn't do as well as usual, like last night. How, with two black finalists out of three, could this possibly be construed as rigged against people of color? ????

Man it ticks me off when some people play the race card. Reminds me of my visit to IOA two weeks ago when a mother was yelling at the ride attendant accusing her of not letting her child ride because they weren't white.

I do agree that different races do have different tastes in music and some caucasions may prefer Clay's sound over Ruben's sound but that, IMHO, is about as far as it goes. Everyone is allowed to vote. Except those of us foreigners.:(

:rolleyes:

Please let's not turn that ARTICLE into a fact. It was one man's "opinion"...

and we all have one! :p

I cannot play any card with these two, I love them both. It's like being torn between two lovers!

I guess we'll just have to see tonight...

Our daughter came home today and said that was the complaint at school--Ruben and Kimberley were going to get the "shaft" because of their race. Puhleeze. . . :(

I don't get how disagreeing with this opinion turns it into fact? Sure, we've acknowledged the opinion, but that doesn't turn it into fact. The only fact is that someone has made that claim and we disagree.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter