I missed the SW 60k offer

Also, I saw on a webpage about SW Companion Pass tricks that it's good to apply for both cards the same day because it will only count as 1 credit pull instead of 2. Not sure about that but supposedly it's better for your credit score.

Yes:

Two personal cards in one day = 1 credit pull

One biz and one personal card in one day = 2 credit pulls

UGH!!! I totally forgot to refer my husband before applying for his cards!! I lost out on 20,000 points :crazy2:

Friendlyadvice2, thanks for the reminder about not spending too much yet!

ETA: Just noticed that the friend referral only gives the new cardholder 40,000 points so wouldn't have used it anyway. I feel better :)

You found your answer already, but this a rare case where the referrals don't work to your advantage. In the past, one could apply and always SM Chase after-the-fact to ask for the referral bonus points (I've done and obtained points), but in this case it just happens to be better to use the public links.

I'd love to get an opinion on my specific situation if anyone doesn't mind. I currently have the Southwest Plus card (opened in May, before I knew about companion pass) and received 40,000 points. I just applied and was approved for the premier with the 60,000 bonus offer. I would still be a little over 7,000 points short this year on reaching companion pass. I realize I did not time this right with the original card.

Should I try to meet the minimum spend on the new card before the end of the year and also try to earn another 7,000 points? I realize that even if I can accomplish this, I will only have companion pass for one year.
Should I wait to meet the minimum spend in Jan 2018, then maybe cancel my first card and reapply? Offer then might only be 40,000 but I'd have more time to reach enough points to get companion. I would be paying the annual fee again though. For what it's worth, I have two trips planned for 2018...May and December.

Any insight is appreciated!

This all depends on your specific needs:

Technically for this year, you would need less than 6,000 points to get the CP (40K+60K+4K min spend=104K+). You can get the last 6K via flights, spend, and/or RR shopping portal bonus spend.

You cannot obtain the bonus points on a particular card for 24 months, so cancelling your current card won't help you now or next year. Depending on the variables in your specific credit equation, you could apply for the biz card later this year or early next year and depending on the bonus offering, you'd have until May to make the rest of the spend to earn your CP before your May trip. Again, that all depends on your specifics.

Friendlyadvice2, so now that we've been approved for dh's cards, I see that your advice is to SM Chase when the cards arrive. I have to admit that I'm not sure how that's done.

Friendlyadvice2, so now that we've been approved for dh's cards, I see that your advice is to SM Chase when the cards arrive. I have to admit that I'm not sure how that's done.

Depending on the browser you're using, there should be a "menu" option or 3 parallel lines in the upper left corner. Once inside there, you should see option for secure message. Select, I believe, "general inquiry" (or something like that) and in the next screen, you'll see a drop down box with all the cards on your profile. You'll send two SMs, one for each new SW card, asking specifically when the date is for you to meet the minimum spend for that particular card. If you'd like to change your statement closing date, then I include that in the SM as well. I also included a question specifically asking what my bonus would be and when it would be credited. The purpose of this last question, was for them to tell me in writing it was 60K and that it would not be credited until I meet the min spend (this puts in that in writing so if for some reason they credited points early in 2017 and I can go back and show them they told me it would not hit until I met the min spend, which I won't do until early '18). Remember, these messages will auto delete from the secure message center in about 60 days, so save a copy to your computer in the unlikely event you'll need it.

I'm sorry to keep peppering you with questions, but I assume we will first have to set up a Chase online account for dh? And we would do that once we have his card info (not now, when we don't know the numbers etc)?

I'm sorry to keep peppering you with questions, but I assume we will first have to set up a Chase online account for dh? And we would do that once we have his card info (not now, when we don't know the numbers etc)?

You'll definitely need an online account. It's been awhile since I created mine, but it's personal identifier-based, so unless there's some other logical reason I'm not thinking of at the moment, I don't think you'll need to wait for the cards to arrive to set up the account. Even when current online account profile holders obtain new cards, the cards will show up in the account prior to actually receiving them in the mail. So, I'd go ahead and try to set up the online account now. But, I also don't see any harm in waiting for the cards to arrive via mail if you'd like to wait.

This all depends on your specific needs:

Technically for this year, you would need less than 6,000 points to get the CP (40K+60K+4K min spend=104K+). You can get the last 6K via flights, spend, and/or RR shopping portal bonus spend.

You cannot obtain the bonus points on a particular card for 24 months, so cancelling your current card won't help you now or next year. Depending on the variables in your specific credit equation, you could apply for the biz card later this year or early next year and depending on the bonus offering, you'd have until May to make the rest of the spend to earn your CP before your May trip. Again, that all depends on your specifics.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. You have me thinking now. I would rather qualify in 2018 to get an additional year of companion pass. I'm thinking of applying for the business card. I didn't realize I had to wait 24 months to earn bonus points on the card I have, thanks for letting me know. I'm sure I can meet the extra 6,000 points for this year, but then I'd lose out on another year of companion pass. I don't have any specific trips planned for 2019, but I'm sure I would be going somewhere. Sorry, I'm kind of thinking out loud. If I do go for the business card and plan on trying to qualify in early 2018, would you recommend canceling my first card before the anniversary date so as not to pay the annual fee or keep it for the 3,000 bonus points? I just don't want all these fees to cancel out any savings I'll be getting with companion pass.

@vanjust14, whether or not you keep the card is entirely dependent on your credit situation, but if you choose to cancel it, simply wait till your anniversary, collect your 3000 bonus points, and then cancel within 30 days of the fee hitting to receive a full reversal/refund of the fee. So, you get bonus points and pay no fee......a Win-Win situation!

@vanjust14, whether or not you keep the card is entirely dependent on your credit situation, but if you choose to cancel it, simply wait till your anniversary, collect your 3000 bonus points, and then cancel within 30 days of the fee hitting to receive a full reversal/refund of the fee. So, you get bonus points and pay no fee......a Win-Win situation!
Oh, thanks for this!

Thanks for all your help @Friendlyadvice2 I went ahead and got approved for the biz and premier tonight. Gonna do the secure message thing tomorrow just to make everything is all lined up right and I have a record of everything. Now I just need to figure out where we should vacation with the CP and all these points!

Can I apply for both personal cards at the same time?

Yes, but use two different browsers so the applications remain separate and distinct. Applying for both personal cards in one day will also result in only one hard pull on your credit.

Hi..I applied for both the southwest business and premier cards yesterday...got the 30 day notice after both.

Received a call today on the premier application, they then said since I had a combined limit of $61,000 on my other 3 Chase cards ..if I'd like to move some of my credit limit from one of my existing cards they would open the premier card....took care of this and I can now see the new card in my chase account with a next payment due date of 11/23

Question...should I call on the business application since the issue is probably the same or wait.

Question...should I call on the business application since the issue is probably the same or wait

I do not suspect that the "the issue is probably the same" with the biz card as your personal credit equation is separate from your biz credit equation even if applying as a sole proprietor and often undergoes more scrutiny with Chase. I would wait a couple days to see if the status changes for the biz card. The general rule is to not call if you don't have to. If you do decide to call, be very prepared to discuss at length, your business and its revenue and expenses. It's not necessarily a bad thing, it's just that that call would be more rigid and generally different than calling about your personal card application.

I do not suspect that the "the issue is probably the same" with the biz card as your personal credit equation is separate from your biz credit equation even if applying as a sole proprietor and often undergoes more scrutiny with Chase. I would wait a couple days to see if the status changes for the biz card. The general rule is to not call if you don't have to. If you do decide to call, be very prepared to discuss at length, your business and its revenue and expenses. It's not necessarily a bad thing, it's just that that call would be more rigid and generally different than calling about your personal card application.

Appreciate the advice...I'll wait and see what happens

You'll definitely need an online account. It's been awhile since I created mine, but it's personal identifier-based, so unless there's some other logical reason I'm not thinking of at the moment, I don't think you'll need to wait for the cards to arrive to set up the account. Even when current online account profile holders obtain new cards, the cards will show up in the account prior to actually receiving them in the mail. So, I'd go ahead and try to set up the online account now. But, I also don't see any harm in waiting for the cards to arrive via mail if you'd like to wait.
I tried to open an account for dh (I already have one but we have all accounts separate). It asked for the cc number or the acceptance code. Since I don't have either of those things, it would not let me open an account yet. Just an FYI.

I tried to open an account for dh (I already have one but we have all accounts separate). It asked for the cc number or the acceptance code. Since I don't have either of those things, it would not let me open an account yet. Just an FYI.

Interesting....definitely no harm in waiting. I'll bet you'll have the cards in hand by Monday or Tuesday and then you can get your account set up and the SM sent. If I recall correctly on when you stated you applied, I suspect your MSR date will be around 1/18-1/21.

I applied for both personal cards for my DH on Wednesday. The first one ( the premier card) had a link directly on the acceptance page to set up his online account, so I did it right away. I had to hurry to an appointment & did the second one rather quickly. I don't know if there wasn't the same link on the second one or if I just missed it. I'll log in later & see if both cards are linked in that account. If not, I'll link the second one when we get the cards.

Can anyone tell me how long after the statement close & points post you can book with the companion pass? We are traveling Jan 29 & Feb 1. I have my flights booked separately with points. Wondering if I'll be able to cancel those & fly either flight on the pass. Thanks!

I applied for both personal cards for my DH on Wednesday. The first one ( the premier card) had a link directly on the acceptance page to set up his online account, so I did it right away. I had to hurry to an appointment & did the second one rather quickly. I don't know if there wasn't the same link on the second one or if I just missed it. I'll log in later & see if both cards are linked in that account. If not, I'll link the second one when we get the cards.

Can anyone tell me how long after the statement close & points post you can book with the companion pass? We are traveling Jan 29 & Feb 1. I have my flights booked separately with points. Wondering if I'll be able to cancel those & fly either flight on the pass. Thanks!
This is what happened for me as well. When accepted for the first card, it had a place to sign up for an online account. Unfortunately, I apparently mistyped the password on the second line and no matter what I did after that, it would not accept it. I figured I could just open an account on the second card, but that time it didn't give me the option.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter