I must be crazy! - An October-November 2016 Solo PTR - Update 10/9 2 Weeks to Go - That's a Wrap

You will not be disappointed in Via Napoli's pizza-it is our favorite pizza ever! I literally crave it. It doesn't look even as half as good as it tastes and it looks pretty amazing lol School Bread is also one of my absolute favorite snacks-last month I got a super fresh one and it was like the angels were singing every time I took a bite :rotfl2:

You will not be disappointed in Via Napoli's pizza-it is our favorite pizza ever! I literally crave it. It doesn't look even as half as good as it tastes and it looks pretty amazing lol School Bread is also one of my absolute favorite snacks-last month I got a super fresh one and it was like the angels were singing every time I took a bite :rotfl2:

The pizza looks amazing so now I have super high expectations on the taste ;).

And you've got to love food that gets the angels singing :littleangel:

I am here following along too.. I am looking forward to following along on your adventures.

:welcome: and thanks for following along. I should have a pretty exciting update to share this weekend :hyper:

I'm pretty picky when it comes to pizza (I lived in New York, so I think it's a requirement), and I really enjoyed Via Napoli's pizza. While I may not love it to the level that many people do, I think that's just me and not the pizza. They put a good deal of delicious pepperoni on their pizzas that I really appreciated. I would definitely eat it again on a future trip.

I just realized you have a PTR going on ... here and following along!

I’ve been saving up my airline miles and almost have enough for return business class flights to Los Angeles (yay!) – I have more than enough for a return economy trip but I figure I may as well use them to travel in style.I figured this would cut down the cost of any dream trip.

I think you make business class happen if you can. It's so much better to fly business/first abroad since you're spending so much time in the plane. Just my opinion, of course. :)

But back to the planning. I wanted to fit as much as possible in this dream trip so I looked at dates that would allow me to experience WDW in both Halloween and Christmas mode as well as the food and wine festival at Epcot. The plan became having two full weeks in Disney as this meant that I could catch the final week of Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party and the first week of Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party.

I've considered trips like this as well - beginning to catch MNSSHP and then catching MVMCP at the end of the trip. I haven't made it happen yet, though!

And with a few days at Universal prior to experience Halloween Horror Nights this imaginary trip was starting to sound awesome.

Love HHN! Make sure to budget for the Express pass to see all the houses or you'll be in long "snaking" queues without much to look at besides people.

I also wanted to try something new so I started looking at doing a cruise during the trip. I spent a week looking at cruises and after a particularly hectic week at work last week I decided to go for it. To do the trip and to do it right.

I love the way you think. I'm insanely jealous of your trip right now. Disney Cruises are incredible, are you going before or after touring the parks (if you don't mind me asking)?

Hong Kong you say? Yes. It’s one of my favourite cities on the planet

Also, one of my favorite cities in the world. Can't wait to get back.
I can start the year of Disney off on the right note with another visit to Hong Kong Disneyland!

Can't wait for your Mystic Manor review. :)
(I did plan out the cupcakes this week – I have 56 different WDW/Universal based themes and 56 different flavours planed out so fingers crossed I can keep it up!)

Please mail some to Nashville, they look great! :)

I just realized you have a PTR going on ... here and following along!
:welcome:

I think you make business class happen if you can. It's so much better to fly business/first abroad since you're spending so much time in the plane. Just my opinion, of course. :)

I'm trying my absolute hardest to make it happen. Let's just say I may have taken out a few extra credit cards (just for the short term) to get some extra miles ;)

I've considered trips like this as well - beginning to catch MNSSHP and then catching MVMCP at the end of the trip. I haven't made it happen yet, though!

I'm hoping it works out - it means spending two weeks at Disney but that's not really a sacrifice :laughing:

Love HHN! Make sure to budget for the Express pass to see all the houses or you'll be in long "snaking" queues without much to look at besides people.

Does the express pass you get for staying onsite work for HHN as well? Or is it another add on like the HHN ticket itself?

I love the way you think. I'm insanely jealous of your trip right now. Disney Cruises are incredible, are you going before or after touring the parks (if you don't mind me asking)?

It's going to be mid trip - so I'll be able to do MNSSHP before the cruise and then by the time I'm back MVMCP will have begun!

Also, one of my favorite cities in the world. Can't wait to get back.

Can't wait for your Mystic Manor review. :)

I'm interested too because I rode it last time I was there a few years ago but don't remember it all (so clearly it didn't make an impression).

Please mail some to Nashville, they look great! :)

I wish I could - unfortunately they don't travel well over the few miles I drive to work let alone on a lengthy flight :lmao:

I'm trying my absolute hardest to make it happen. Let's just say I may have taken out a few extra credit cards (just for the short term) to get some extra miles ;)

Nice to see another travel "hacker" here on the boards :)

It's going to be mid trip - so I'll be able to do MNSSHP before the cruise and then by the time I'm back MVMCP will have begun!

Sounds great!

I'm pretty sure you'll need to purchase a seperate express pass for HHN, but you may want to follow up.

I'm pretty picky when it comes to pizza (I lived in New York, so I think it's a requirement), and I really enjoyed Via Napoli's pizza. While I may not love it to the level that many people do, I think that's just me and not the pizza. They put a good deal of delicious pepperoni on their pizzas that I really appreciated. I would definitely eat it again on a future trip.

I must have tried the wrong places when I visited NY as I cant say that I would rave about the pizza.

I'm pretty sure you'll need to purchase a seperate express pass for HHN, but you may want to follow up.

Thanks - I'll definitely look into it more closely when they release the tickets for next year!

51 Weeks to Go (or is it???)

This week was meant to be 51 weeks to go until my trip to Florida. Well after this week’s events that is still technically correct but I’ve added more time to the start of the trip than initially planned. So much so that the countdown to the trip itself is now only 49 weeks to go :woohoo:

This week the flights for mid-October opened up on the airline in which I was planning to use my miles/frequent flyer points. I’d originally planned to fly out on the 20th of October from Melbourne to Los Angeles. After looking this week there were no flights on that date (although I’m guessing that some may open up in the future) but there were some available the week before. I thought about it leaving it and hoping that more flights opened up over the next few weeks but decided in the end to just go for it and make my trip to the states four weeks long rather than two and a half!

So I have booked my flight over to the US which means this trip is well and truly happening. Return flights in November haven’t opened yet and I’m just a few miles short so I’ll probably book those closer to the date and just hope that they have reward flights available on the days I want.

But enough about the part I haven’t done yet – what did I actually book? Well I will be flying from Melbourne to Los Angeles on Wednesday 12 October on Qantas flight QF93 which is one of their Airbus A380s. I’ve been saving up my miles for the past year and when looking at what I could use them for I found a little quirk in the system - although the points levels differ, the taxes never do. A return flight using miles in economy has the same out of pocket cost for taxes as does a return flight in business or first class.

So clearly it is a better use of points if you have them to fly a higher class. Which means my big news this week is that I’ll be flying business class!!!!! I’m so excited about this - 13 and a half hours of flying in luxury on my luxury birthday trip. I priced out how much it would cost to fly one way business class on the same fight and it was $3,600 ($2,550 USD) and I only spent $460 once I cashed in some of my miles ($328 USD).

Qantas business class has seats like this...

business-4.jpg

sky bed 2.jpg

That turn into beds like this...

skybed.jpg

And food like this...

Sample menu.jpg

business meal.jpg

snack bar.jpg

And lounges like this.

international-business-lounge.jpg

lounge.jpg

I’m just hoping now that I won’t be spoiled for life when I inevitably end up back in economy :laughing:

I now have an extra 9 days of trip to plan (which won’t be in Florida) which is exciting (and expensive) but that’s going to be another week’s update!

I also purchased my WDW tickets this week - through Undercover Tourist like last time. I’ve just had a gut feeling that they are going to go up in price before Christmas so I decided I’d lock in the price now (and before the Australian dollar drops any further). So I’ve got a 10 day park hopper ready to go!

And I purchased my ticket for Hong Kong Disneyland in January as well as you saved 10% pre-booking online.

Finally, this week’s cupcakes. We’re making our way around to our second world showcase inspired cupcake. In honour of Culture Day in Japan this week on the 3rd of November here are some green tea Cherry Blossom cupcakes!

20151025_193505.jpg

But enough about the part I haven’t done yet – what did I actually book? Well I will be flying from Melbourne to Los Angeles on Wednesday 12 October on Qantas flight QF93 which is one of their Airbus A380s. I’ve been saving up my miles for the past year and when looking at what I could use them for I found a little quirk in the system - although the points levels differ, the taxes never do. A return flight using miles in economy has the same out of pocket cost for taxes as does a return flight in business or first class.

Congrats! The extra room is going to make the trip so much better. You won't want to get off the plane!

I’m just hoping now that I won’t be spoiled for life when I inevitably end up back in economy :laughing:

You will definitely be spoiled!

Wow, I can't imagine being able to take a four week vacation. It would take me two years to build up that amount of time off. The U.S. is seriously behind in the whole time off category compared to other countries. :sad2:

Your trip is sounding pretty amazing! If I ever had to be on a flight that long I think it would have to be in business class. I really can't handle being crammed in like sardines for more than say a 3 hour flight... I start rocking back and forth and going crazy! :laughing:

I think you're wise to book a short cruise. I've been on one (not Disney) and while it was an experience to check off the life list, it's not something I'd do again. I felt like I was still on the ship for over a week afterwards! The food was good though and the ocean views were amazing. I'm sure a Disney cruise will be even better since you'll have characters and other Disney touches to really make it fun!

Wow! Congrats on a longer trip!!! I agree I wish I could go on vacation ANYWHERE that long! Even half that long haha!

You will definitely be spoiled!

That's what I'm worried about!

Wow, I can't imagine being able to take a four week vacation. It would take me two years to build up that amount of time off. The U.S. is seriously behind in the whole time off category compared to other countries. :sad2:

I work for the government so I get 4 weeks per year. Most people don't use all of this as it is all still dependent on getting your leave approved. I'm lucky I have a nice boss though!

Your trip is sounding pretty amazing! If I ever had to be on a flight that long I think it would have to be in business class. I really can't handle being crammed in like sardines for more than say a 3 hour flight... I start rocking back and forth and going crazy! :laughing:

Well if you think this 14 hour trip sounds long just imagine what it takes for us to fly to Europe - it's at least 20 hours flying time! And I've flown over twice in Economy :faint:

I think you're wise to book a short cruise. I've been on one (not Disney) and while it was an experience to check off the life list, it's not something I'd do again. I felt like I was still on the ship for over a week afterwards! The food was good though and the ocean views were amazing. I'm sure a Disney cruise will be even better since you'll have characters and other Disney touches to really make it fun!

See that's exactly why I've booked a short cruise - I'm worried that while it will be ok I may not enjoy it that much. I'm going to have to get my doctor to prescribe me some sea-sickness medication I think to try and minimise any effects!

Wow! Congrats on a longer trip!!! I agree I wish I could go on vacation ANYWHERE that long! Even half that long haha!

Thanks. I think one of the reasons us Aussies take longer vacation is that everything is so far away so if we went for a week we'd lose 3 days in travel time and the rest of the trip would be combatting jet lag!

Well if you think this 14 hour trip sounds long just imagine what it takes for us to fly to Europe - it's at least 20 hours flying time! And I've flown over twice in Economy :faint:

:scared1::scared1::scared1::scared1: Never in a million years.... I would not be able to handle that!!

My friend from Washington does that. Their first day is usually terrible unless they take a red eye and just stay up and then sleep early.

50 Weeks to Go

I thought I’d use this week’s update to set out an initial trip outline for this ever-expanding vacation. Certain things are locked in, others are flexible, and others are still completely undecided!

So the outline below has three different options – all three start in San Fran/LA and end in Orlando but the getting between the two points varies. Option 1 and 2 are two different driving routes across the country. Option 3 is to fly across and to spend a few days in Miami before Orlando.

Week 1.jpg

Week 2.jpg

Week 3.jpg

Week 4.jpg

Week 5.jpg

I’m hoping you guys have some comments and I’m completely open to other suggestions if you can think of another way to get across/ fill in that week.

For this week’s cupcakes we’re back in Animal Kingdom where inspiration has come from a certain musical. No not the good one – the other one. That’s right it’s Finding Nemo!

12190784_1640975062856547_6272374245316551893_n.jpg

A.) I hope your coworkers appreciate the work that went into those tops haha!

B.) If you are talking Jackson, MS there is like ....nothing there really to do as far as sight see unless they happen to have a festival going on.

C.) Yay your MNSSHP day is out MNSSHP day!!!

So the outline below has three different options – all three start in San Fran/LA and end in Orlando but the getting between the two points varies. Option 1 and 2 are two different driving routes across the country. Option 3 is to fly across and to spend a few days in Miami before Orlando.

I think my first question would be do you WANT to drive across the United States? I know it's something I wouldn't mind doing one day, but it is my home country. That being said, I think I would fly LA to Miami but again that goes back to the previous question. If you do drive, and take route 1 (on I40), I can give you a information on Memphis as to where to stay, what to check out, etc.

A.) I hope your coworkers appreciate the work that went into those tops haha!

B.) If you are talking Jackson, MS there is like ....nothing there really to do as far as sight see unless they happen to have a festival going on.

C.) Yay your MNSSHP day is out MNSSHP day!!!

A.) They do - they don't appreciate the associated weight gain but they enjoy them when they're eating them!

B.) Good to know.

C.) Yay! Now I've just got to hope that I can actually get tickets for that day! :hyper:

I think my first question would be do you WANT to drive across the United States? I know it's something I wouldn't mind doing one day, but it is my home country. That being said, I think I would fly LA to Miami but again that goes back to the previous question. If you do drive, and take route 1 (on I40), I can give you a information on Memphis as to where to stay, what to check out, etc.

In my previous visits to the states I've visited Los Angeles (including Anaheim), Las Vegas, New Orleans, New York, and have driven from North Carolina (where I have family) up to D.C and back. Oh and Orlando obviously!

I was thinking of driving this time only because it's the quintessential image - driving cross country across the States (perhaps in a convertible ;)). And I thought it might let me see some cities that I would otherwise never visit. But I'm equally happy to fly and visit one place too!

If I end up going to Memphis I'll definitely pick your brains :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter