I need gift ideas for my Autistic child

momof3disneyholics

<font color=royalblue>Maternal Unit Extraordinaire
My son Ian is 5 years old and Autistic. I am looking for some good gifts this year that will he will really enjoy playing with and that will really stimulate him. He doesn't like average 5 year old toys like cars and action figures, he mostly likes to play with blocks which he'll dump out and separate the colors and then go on to something else. He also loves anything round like balls, beads and bubbles or anything yellow and green. On his last IEP, they said he was now at a 2 year old's level, which I agree with, but sometimes he surprises me and shows me he's smarter than that.
Does anyone have any ideas on what I could get him?

Since he likes colors and round things, would he possibly play with a marble run? They look like this:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...ef=sr_1_8/103-0090207-3365479?v=glance&s=toys
Both my kids loved these, and if you buy a set with lots of pieces, they can set it up different each time. They enjoyed seeing how changing it would affect how the marbles ran.
This may be too advanced now, but I could see it being very stimulating at some point in time.

I bought wacky wigglers from QVC for my autistic ds. It's a set of colorful gears that can you can build different objects with (like a robot, for example). My ds also loves. The great thing about this toy is that we could sit together and build different things, then watch the gears move. So this actually helped him do something other than sorting. Here's a link
http://www.qvc.com/asp/frameset.asp...ASSLEVEL=&txtDesc=wacky+wigglers&SearchClass=

marble run was a big hit for my spectrium kids!!! There is also one that has larger size balls if they marbles are too small for him and you are afraid he will put them in his mouth.
Education DVD's are great and mine always liked the Disney sing along song ones and Elmo ones as well. ALthough you will be watching the same thing over and over and over and over and over again so choose wisely LOL.
Jen

No, I can't do the marble run because he still puts things in his mouth and I'd be afraid he'd swallow them, sorry I didn't mention that in the first post.

Hi,
I didn't start this thread, but all of you gave me some good present ideas for my autistic son who is 4 and a half. The marble run will be great, especially if I can find one that uses larger balls, instead of the small marbles.

One of Jr's favorite toys is his train set...he loves watching it go round and round.

Anyway, have a happy holiday season.

Went through the train phase LOL. Now it is all about the Video games and computers! I wish I remembered the name of the marble run with the larger balls but I don't but I got it at one of the educational toy stores.
Jen

I got my 5 year old autistic nephew a Magnetix set. I thought he would enjoy the combination of building and the magnetics which keep things together.

Have you looked at those Fisher Price clear blocks with things inside them? They each has something that moves or sometimes even makes a sound when you move them around. They also have clear hard plastic balls that are much the same. They sell them in the infant/toddler section at many stores (Walmart, Toys'R'Us etc). Does he have a shape sorting cube? How about the big peice puzzles? Another thing that comes to mind is a more "homemade" kind of gift but I have seen many kids (but especially those with autism) drawn to them...you take different fabrics (differnt colors and especially different textures) and you cut them into squares (as large or small as you want), back them with heavy duty cardboard (I just hotglued the set we use at our home school co-op) and they are done. They can be used to play memory (if you make two of each kind) and can be sorted by color or textures, they can be used to stack into piles or laid out to form lines or other designs.

Another idea is a book about his life. Just use family pictures and chronicle a day in his life or his comfort routines, loved ones, pets or rooms of your house and laminate it. Hope at least one of these idea helps a bit! :goodvibes

My autistic DS10 is getting some things that light & twirl and a set of jewel tone CD cases. He loves to mouth on CD cases. :sunny:

I just got a catalog from Enabling Devices. You might find something in their catalog that gives you some ideas.
Magnetix are really cool, but have a lot of small pieces that could be swallowed.
Duplo bricks are nice. They are Lego's preschool brinks. They work pretty much the same as Legos, but are 8 times bigger, so they are not a swallowing risk (although some of the Duplo sets are made for 5 year olds, so may have smaller parts). We had a large bin of basic Duplo blocks and my kids both liked them.

We also had some magnetic blocks like these. The magnets are enclosed in the block.

Also, think of some things that aren't traditional toys. I was at a communications conference recently, where one of the programs was about how to find low tech (cheap) toys and art supplies that kids could use.
One suggestion was to go to the dollar store and look for things like kitchen sponges/utensils that could have play value other than being kitchen utensils. I know some kids with autism don't like touching things like playdough, but some really like playing with things of that texture. If he might like playdough, but not like to touch it, the dollar store might have things he could use to flatten it, crimp it (look in the area for bath/relaxation things for hand massagers - they might look like a bumpy ball or a roller with bumps or grooves).
Someplace else you may not look for toys would be a hardware store. PVC pipe might not look that interesting, but you can get a whole lot of cool pieces that are meant to fit together to make pipes, but are great as a building toy. You can get big pipes that balls would fit into. If you are a little handy, you could make a large size marble run with big enough balls that he won't put in his mouth.
There are a lot of things that would be too small for him, but someone else might like; think of things like nuts and bolts made of plastic in the fastener aisle. Some of those are rather large and cheap compared to toys.

I have a cousin with Downs (and although not diagnosed, his Dr. has even mentioned that certain things he does favors Autism) and it's the things that we don't think about that REALLY interest him most. Flashlights, feather dusters, standard magnets. . . he loves those more than any toy in a toy store. Things that have a sort of cause and effect to them, he gets into. FOr example, he LOVES watching how the wind blows things around and therefore has an obsession with weather and natural disasters. He's glued to The Weather Channel. We decided, after seeing so many news reporters using them during the hurricanes, that we'd get him an anemometer. Amazon.com He'll stand out in the yard for hours "guessing" the strength of the wind, so we're sure that he'll get into this.

Not sure if any of that helps - but I know we've spend many Christmases finding out that the dollar store "toys" get more use than the more expensive ones and have started really trying to think outside the box when it comes to him.

MyGoofy26 said:
I have a cousin with Downs (and although not diagnosed, his Dr. has even mentioned that certain things he does favors Autism) and it's the things that we don't think about that REALLY interest him most. Flashlights, feather dusters, standard magnets. . . he loves those more than any toy in a toy store. Things that have a sort of cause and effect to them, he gets into. FOr example, he LOVES watching how the wind blows things around and therefore has an obsession with weather and natural disasters. He's glued to The Weather Channel. We decided, after seeing so many news reporters using them during the hurricanes, that we'd get him an anemometer. Amazon.com He'll stand out in the yard for hours "guessing" the strength of the wind, so we're sure that he'll get into this.

Not sure if any of that helps - but I know we've spend many Christmases finding out that the dollar store "toys" get more use than the more expensive ones and have started really trying to think outside the box when it comes to him.
I know exactly what you mean. My son loves the dollar store beads or bubbles better than an expensive toy.

Hi there,
Tonight I just bought my autisc son a domino building game, called "Block Town." I'm pretty sure little David will like seeing all the dominoes fall down; its also something we can build together, which is great. I also got him the Gopher Game where you have to hit the gophers on the head when they pop-up. I even bought him a Dora the Explorer video game, even though he really doesn't play video games yet, I know he will have a blast watching it as I play.

Really, my goal is to expose him to as many things as possible, so I can see what clicks with him.

Happy Holidays

I was at a toy store last night and they did have a marble run type toy with bigger balls in the preschool/toddler section.
They also had toys with gears like these: http://www.kidcore.com/subcategory.aspx?catID=79 .
I looked at the Switching Gears toy, it was really cute because it lights up and plays music (a button just for lights so you don't always have to hear the music).

My autistic son is so hard to buy for. He does like flashlights so I bought him one of those and he loves putting change into his bank. He always brings me my purse and tells me money_bank. So I'm getting a bunch of quarters and dimes and putting them in a decorated jar so he can spend the day putting money in his bank. He also walks around saying Isney Wold, hotel room, so that money in the bank is helping fund our next trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter