I should’a taken that left in Albuquerque (Updated 8/16/13 Pg13)

Still reading and enjoying, yes, enjoying your TR.:thumbsup2 I had a chance in February to go on the USS Midway in San Diego and thoroughly enjoyed it.

The plight of the Aral Sea brings back a HS history quiz where we had to list the top five lakes in the world. Sad, just sad.

Still reading and enjoying, yes, enjoying your TR.:thumbsup2 I had a chance in February to go on the USS Midway in San Diego and thoroughly enjoyed it.

The plight of the Aral Sea brings back a HS history quiz where we had to list the top five lakes in the world. Sad, just sad.

Dave!

I forgot about you there. My bad sir.
I'm very glad to have you following along.

Got aboard the Midway did you… Lu - key! There are a number of ships on the left coast that I’d really like to get around to but the distance makes it a bit difficult. If you get back down to the LA any time in the future you can get aboard a battleship now. The USS Iowa was only just recently saved from the “Ghost Fleet” and in now open to the public.

I’ve got an actual update on the way in a minute or two, but first…

A little bit of Disney

The WL as seen from Bay Lake

And a resort that Im very much looking forward to returning to this summer
(and possibly for the last time in a very long time :sad: )

Chapter 3: A Lack of Adult Supervision

Part 3: How Not to be Seen​

There’s an art to not being seen. Well… actually for some folks it’s more of a natural feature. Being generally unattractive and overwhelming average, I’m already incapable of standing out in any crowd. It’s like having a built in invisibility cloak, but that’s not what I’m on about here. The art of stealth is a useful tool for those that are trying to avoid the prying eyes of the overly curious. However, it’s even more important for those that wish to actually be overly curious and that’s the definition that I’m headed toward. We’ll encounter something rather new to the Patriot’s Point area that perfectly illustrates this in a little while, but first there’s just a bit more of the Yorktown to explore today.

So let’s resume the tour back aboard the carrier where we left off…

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Up on the Roof

C03-325_zpsadd17770.jpg

As I mentioned in the last update… way back in time when I was actually able to release and update that is… it’s been a might busy ‘round here. Sorry about that.

As I was saying… I mentioned a while back that there is much to see and explore aboard the USS Yorktown. Even the mildly interested could spend and entire day and not cover it all. For the geeky, it could take several trips to take it all in and we certainly qualify as geeky. Well… two of us anyway. Bill and I are both into this type of history. Sal was really just along for the ride. It’s not that he wasn’t enjoying the outing, but rather that his purpose was to spend time away from work, among friends and encounter something different. Mission accomplished. But not wanting to over tax our friend, coupled with the facts that we also wanted to hit a couple of other “attractions” in the area today and that we only had today to see any of it… these all led us to make a somewhat abbreviated tour of the ship. It was decided that we’d head up to the flight deck for a while and then to move along. Now if you’d like to hear a bit more about the lower decks (which are fascinating to be sure), might I recommend a different part of a different (and arguably more interesting) TR…

This one here.

Anyway, the decision was made so we headed up to the “Roof”…

C03-302_zps7918e5b0.jpg

Up here you’ll find a collection of more modern and considerably larger aircraft.

C03-303_zpsb4fd9f1a.jpg

Carriers are among the largest ships to practice the art of not being seen. Given modern satellite technology that’s harder now, but as originally developed these were the first “capital ships” capable of fighting a battle against an opposing force out of the direct line of sight. The horizon was no longer a limiting factor controlling events on the water. The first time it occurred was early 1942 in the Coral Sea. One of the two US carriers involved was actually the Yorktown. It just wisent this ship; rather it was the one that this one would end up being named for. But in either case it was aircraft like these and the more classic birds in the hanger below us that made it possible. From that point on, fleets would combat one and other from distances of hundreds of miles instead of hundreds of yards. And the thing to be feared was no longer a multi-ton shell, but the various types of armament that could be attached to the planes.

The photographically minded will find additional reasons to enjoy exploring the flight deck. This is one of the better spots for acquiring unobstructed views of the inlet, bridges, forts and downtown Charleston across the way…

C03-304_zps5996b880.jpg

Not that I took all that much advantage of this fact. There was one unusual site that we encountered though. On this particular day we had the opportunity to watch as a hands-on sailing class being taught out on the waters of the Cooper River…

C03-305_zps80fb8de4.jpg

It was rather interesting to stop and watch for a few minutes. There were about a dozen or so of these small sloops out that morning attempting to maneuver as a flotilla. We were pretty sure that most were learning a new skill because a couple of the craft were behaving a bit erratically and two even got their riggings tangled up at one point.

Back to the tour… Having traveled as far forward as possible (without having to perform a biblical miracle) we walked back the length of the flight deck taking time to read the various placards and thoroughly examine each airframe…

C03-306_zps63eecefe.jpg

All of the jets on display have long since had their engines removed, so this particular type of silly picture is almost obligatory. It’s a little like encountering a canon on display in a park or at a fort…

Someone in the group will simply have no choice but to stick their head in it.

There are a number of very interesting birds on the deck, but the one that currently holds down the spot of honor “in the Spaghetti” (where you catch the wires during a landing) was a Hollywood favorite…. the “Aluminum Cloud”

C03-307_zpsb42991ae.jpg

Actually the F-14 (Tomcat) is so large that there is really no better spot to display one of these photogenic behemoths.

Back here you’ll also find the LSO’s station…

…a small platform perilously hanging out off the deck and over the water where the Landing Signal Officer conducts business. Trying to land an aircraft of any type on a relatively small and moving surface is a challenge that only a very few folks will attempt and even fewer will master. And it’s the fellow pilot standing here that will be both you best friend and nemesis while you’re doing it. Here stands the individual that will be giving you signals that help keep you in the glide path and give you every chance possible to hit the sweet spot and grab the “three-wire” without needing to “bolt’ (or worse end up sending your ride “back to the taxpayers”…). Problem is, this officer is also responsible for grading that landing. A grade that stays with you. Indefinitely… You maintain a good attitude and drop it square on the deck and you get an:”OK” posted on the “Greenie Board” (and yes there is a score board). Take your eyes off the “Meatball” and put that bird down in the “Spud Locker” or make some truly “Delta Sierra” move that gets you “waived off” with a clear deck and the “penalty box” will be the least of your troubles. Every jock on “Vulture’s Row” will be gleefully looking forward to taking a bite out of your carcass.

This far aft is also the best vantage point for getting a good image of the third ship that graces Patriot’s Point. One that is designed specifically to not be seen…
The USS Clamagore (SS-343)

C03-309_zps38545e4f.jpg

As you can see from that image, repairs were underway on this old veteran at the time and as such, we were unable to get aboard the stealthiest of the three vessels here on that day. Not to worry, I believe that they have completed those repairs and it’s once again open to the public. We just missed out this time around. I’ve actually been aboard this classic sub a few times in the past and even brought other folks along with me…

Scouting.jpg

It’s the right-hand side of that double image I talking about. That’s my young’en hanging out on the sub during a trip down there back in his Cub Scout days. Way back when he was actually a young’en. Now he’s just shy of being “growed”.

My how time moves…

***sigh***

Oh… sorry about that, I was drifting off through memories there.

Time to move on I suppose…

I did make sure though, that we got at least one good shot with the ships bell before going ashore…

C03-311_zps106a636f.jpg

A tradition of mine… often this bronze heart may be all that’s left of a great old warrior. Laying a hand on it if you can helps to imprint the memory, honors those that had served aboard and says that you’ve actually been there. In fact this same museum also houses several veteran ships bells including those from the older 1889 gunboat: USS Yorktown, a sister carrier: the USS Franklin (CV-13) and the old armored curser: USS Charleston (C-22).

I do believe I’ve beaten that subject to death now.
Yah I know… “Whiskey Charlie”… right?

Next subject…

In country

As we made our way back toward dry land, the “Spirit of Charleston” glided around the Yorktown’s bow headed for the pier.

C03-312_zps5560c66b.jpg

This gives me a good chance to toss out another useful tidbit for anyone that might be considering a side trip to Patriot’s Point. The Point is one of two spots in Charleston where you can catch a ferryboat out into the harbor and tour Fort Sumter. It’s an enjoyable little cruse and the fortress is well worth seeing (the other ferry leaves from the aquarium on the peninsula which is also a fine facility well worth your time to visit). We didn’t get out to Sumter this day, but you could still get a look at it from someone else’s point of view if you’d like.

We did, however, take a little time to explore another offering here that a lot of folks overlook…

C03-313_zpsf1564f45.jpg

This is an excellent representation of a Vietnam era land base and focuses of a very different time period then the rest of the museum….

C03-314_zps02b27562.jpg

C03-315_zps8345f08b.jpg

Being as it’s well done and that the chance to explore here is already part of the museum admission, it surprises me that relatively few folks take the time to check it out.

There are recreations of most of the major facility types that you might have encountered. Everything form barracks and a simple mess hut…

C03-316_zpsdf50794c.jpg

To control and command posts converted from shipping containers and even the central water / watch tower …

C03-317_zpse85ecf5d.jpg

Running water, a “decent” meal, a roof of any kind over head…
For the service folk that were “in country” these were very often extravagant luxuries.

There are also several choppers from the era to explore and even a PBR…

C03-318_zps32651f95.jpg

…the maneuverable (and at times expendable) small craft that prowled the inlets and tributaries of the Mekong. Think of the trip up the river from the film “Apocalypse Now” and you’ll have the right imagery to go with that picture.

Just remember… “Never get out’a the boat.”

American Defense

That video doesn’t really have anything to do with this next section. But it was inspired by the same set of background conditions (well, the first bit of it anyway). That being: the Cold War. Directly across the street from the entrance to Patriot’s Point is a park that is mostly dedicated to the sporting facilities maintained by the college of Charleston. One other thing in this park though is a fairly new monument dedicated to one of the most important aspects of that prolonged and subtle East vs. West conflict…

The Silent Service.

C03-320_zps33340662.jpg

These are the folks that took the art of not being seen to new heights. Either they were concealing deterrents in the form as fissile materials deep beneath the ocean surface, or they were trying to find other nation’s vessels that were similarly engaged. And attempting to do so without anyone knowing that either one was ever there in the first place.

The centerpiece of this monument is made up of the Conning tower and tail section of the retired nuclear ballistic submarine:

USS Lewis and Clark (SSBN-644).

C03-321_zpsf396437c.jpg

Why just bits and pieces of the sub and not the whole ship like the Clamagore exhibit just across the way? Well that’s a down side of attempting to preserve a nuclear powered vessel. Decommissioning them requires a good bit more thought due to the reactors built into the heart of the ship. I actually did a Bonus Feature on this very problem back in my “Experiment-627” TR if you’re interested in learning a little bit about the problem along with some semi-related but interesting American Revolutionary history.

Now then, let’s get back to this monument. Another interesting aspect is that it was designed in such a way as to remind you of how these ships looked while gracefully plying the surface of the ocean. Rather then mounting the Tower on a simple pedestal or just plop it on smack on the ground, this was designed to evoke a full size replica of the ship underway. Except that the grounds, plantings and finely manicured grass are playing the part of the water and characteristic bow wave produced by a submarine on the surface…

C03-322_zps8520decc.jpg

Here’s an image of this old veteran during her operational career to give you a clearer idea of what they’re trying to accomplish visually…

C03-323_zpsb8c5bc14.jpg

To add to the details the monument was even situated to depict the sub as returning back to her original home port at the now closed Charleston Naval Station after completing a successful patrol. The heading: a course of 299 degrees True. You can pull out a compass and check it if you’d like. That’s the kind of stuff that Disney would do. I’ve always appreciated that kind of attention to detail. Always will…

C03-324_zps2041c08f.jpg

Next up: Sullivan’s Island Fortress

And a short walk to a long pier

Part 3: How Not to be Seen

:thumbsup2 Unfortunately, he has chosen an obvious hiding place.

As I was saying… I mentioned a while back that there is much to see and explore aboard the USS Yorktown. Even the mildly interested could spend and entire day and not cover it all.

Very true. And then you feel guilty not seeing anything else in the area.

Now if you’d like to hear a bit more about the lower decks (which are fascinating to be sure), might I recommend a different part of a different (and arguably more interesting) TR…

Sounds interesting. That writer is a good-looking fellow, too. I'll have to check it out.

The photographically minded will find additional reasons to enjoy exploring the flight deck. This is one of the better spots for acquiring unobstructed views of the inlet, bridges, forts and downtown Charleston across the way…

:thumbsup2

All of the jets on display have long since had their engines removed, so this particular type of silly picture is almost obligatory. It’s a little like encountering a canon on display in a park or at a fort…

Ok, now you're losing me. Nobody is that dumb.

Actually the F-14 (Tomcat) is so large that there is really no better spot to display one of these photogenic behemoths.

And you avoided the Top Gun jokes. You're a stronger man than I.

Problem is, this officer is also responsible for grading that landing. A grade that stays with you. Indefinitely… You maintain a good attitude and drop it square on the deck and you get an:”OK” posted on the “Greenie Board” (and yes there is a score board). Take your eyes off the “Meatball” and put that bird down in the “Spud Locker” or make some truly “Delta Sierra” move that gets you “waived off” with a clear deck and the “penalty box” will be the least of your troubles. Every jock on “Vulture’s Row” will be gleefully looking forward to taking a bite out of your carcass.

Tough crowd. I'd be thrilled just to be alive.

It’s the right-hand side of that double image I talking about. That’s my young’en hanging out on the sub during a trip down there back in his Cub Scout days. Way back when he was actually a young’en. Now he’s just shy of being “growed”.

My how time moves…

Ain't it the truth. I just wish time would stop hitting the gas pedal.

This gives me a good chance to toss out another useful tidbit for anyone that might be considering a side trip to Patriot’s Point. The Point is one of two spots in Charleston where you can catch a ferryboat out into the harbor and tour Fort Sumter. It’s an enjoyable little cruse and the fortress is well worth seeing (the other ferry leaves from the aquarium on the peninsula which is also a fine facility well worth your time to visit). We didn’t get out to Sumter this day, but you could still get a look at it from someone else’s point of view if you’d like.

I thank you once again, kind sir.

This is an excellent representation of a Vietnam era land base and focuses of a very different time period then the rest of the museum….

That did look pretty cool, and I wish we'd had the time to explore it.

Think of the trip up the river from the film “Apocalypse Now” and you’ll have the right imagery to go with that picture.

Should I think about it with extreme prejudice?:confused3

Except that the grounds, plantings and finely manicured grass are playing the part of the water and characteristic bow wave produced by a submarine on the surface…

Interesting. I wouldn't have noticed that if you hadn't pointed it out.

You can pull out a compass and check it if you’d like. That’s the kind of stuff that Disney would do. I’ve always appreciated that kind of attention to detail. Always will…

::yes:::thumbsup2

The art of stealth is a useful tool for those that are trying to avoid the prying eyes of the overly curious.
I was disappointed. You started talking about stealth and I thought there might be a stealth bomber on the deck... :rolleyes1

The horizon was no longer a limiting factor controlling events on the water.
And now we have some guy in the continental US flying a remote control plane somewhere in the Middle East.

:rotfl2::lmao::rotfl:

Definitely wouldn't want my head anywhere near there with an engine in place.

I feel the need...

A tradition of mine… often this bronze heart may be all that’s left of a great old warrior. Laying a hand on it if you can helps to imprint the memory, honors those that had served aboard and says that you’ve actually been there.

I like it. :thumbsup2

Interesting. I don't know if that was there when we went to Patriot's Point back in the 90's, but I've never heard of this display.

To add to the details the monument was even situated to depict the sub as returning back to her original home port at the now closed Charleston Naval Station after completing a successful patrol. The heading: a course of 299 degrees True. You can pull out a compass and check it if you’d like. That’s the kind of stuff that Disney would do. I’ve always appreciated that kind of attention to detail. Always will…
And that is a very nice added touch as well.

And you didn't go for the Top Gun quotes either. I was surprised. To me it wasn't a question of whether I should use a Top Gun quote or not. It was more a question of which one. :rotfl::rotfl2::lmao:

:thumbsup2

I had already used it when I wrote about this place in my TR. So I'd already proven my weakness. :rotfl2:

I meant to reply to these long before now.
Slipped what’s left of my mind I guess.

Very true. And then you feel guilty not seeing anything else in the area.

Naaaaa…
That’s just the bases for a return trip

Sounds interesting. That writer is a good-looking fellow, too. I'll have to check it out.

:rolleyes:

Ok, now you're losing me. Nobody is that dumb.

It’s hard to believe, but I swear that there’s photographic evidence floating around out on the web somewhere.

And you avoided the Top Gun jokes. You're a stronger man than I.

I was counting on y’all to add the needed color to this otherwise dreary account.

Tough crowd. I'd be thrilled just to be alive.

::yes:: they’re not easily impressed.

Ain't it the truth. I just wish time would stop hitting the gas pedal.

Can’t help ya’ there. Ramming Speed seems to have been surpassed back around middle school, Warp Speed kicked in around his freshman year and as best as I can figure, we hit Ludicrous Speed a couple of days ago.

Or was it a month ago?

I thank you once again, kind sir.

You’d already talked about the bits that I skipped this time around.
It just seemed like a natural addition to the narrative.

That did look pretty cool, and I wish we'd had the time to explore it.

Go back.
I will.

Should I think about it with extreme prejudice?:confused3

The smell of napalm in the morning helps too.

Interesting. I wouldn't have noticed that if you hadn't pointed it out.

It’s easily missed.
One of the learning stations that are positioned around the monument does take time to explain it though.

I was disappointed. You started talking about stealth and I thought there might be a stealth bomber on the deck... :rolleyes1

There are only 20 of those bad boys in existence and the USAF doesn’t allow the public anywhere close to them very often.

And now we have some guy in the continental US flying a remote control plane somewhere in the Middle East.

Something I still find a bit disconcerting but it is the next natural step.
When they become autonomous, we may all be in trouble.

:rotfl2::lmao::rotfl:
Definitely wouldn't want my head anywhere near there with an engine in place.

Good choice…

Interesting. I don't know if that was there when we went to Patriot's Point back in the 90's, but I've never heard of this display.

I believe you’re right.
I think they stated setting up that exhibit in the late 90s and early 00s.

http://www.patriotspoint.org/explore_museum/vietnam_support_base/

And that is a very nice added touch as well.

It’s a very well done addition to the facility.
They planning to build a freestanding Medal of Honor Museum on site as well that will house and greatly expand the small space currently aboard the carrier. I’m looking forward to spending some time there in the future.

Chapter 3: A Lack of Adult Supervision

Part 4: Have Fun Storming the Castle​

Life…

Death…

Life again…

Well… it can happen in stories, legends and film at least.

The notion of coming back from beyond makes for great theater because it digs directly into most folks deepest fear and their greatest hope in relation to that fear. It’s the same reason we like a redemption stories. I think it’s also why we like to learn about nearly anything that has been brought back from the brink; even inanimate things. The idea of something being retrieved from the ashes and possibly even returned to acclaim; we’re drawn to such things.

With that in mind, the fell’as and I decided to travel a little farther to see something else that had found new life and done so more then once.

Sullivan’s Fort

B02-402_zps7dc4fca6.jpg

After exploring Patriots Point and the Cold War Memorial, the decision was made that another right turn was in order. The new destination is less then ten miles to the southeast traveling along SC-703 until you come across this here draw bridge…

B02-403_zps446c7ee6.jpg

And arrive on Sullivan’s Island…

B02-404_zps51f6be47.jpg

…home to some very high-end beach front property, several quirky pubs and cafés, an unusual set of street names, a town library built from a converted heavy gun battery and America’s “newest” and perhaps oddest light house (or ugliest depending on you point of view). It’s also the spot on the map where the state of South Carolina acquired its official nickname, developed it state flag, and gave the British a rather nasty black eye about a week before a more formal declaration made it quite clear that, nationally speaking, we just “not that into them” anymore.

Once you’ve crossed the bridge and are on the island proper, Route-703 makes a left turn and heads off toward the northeast leaving you driving along “Station 22 1/2 Street”. A block latter we made a right turn onto “The Middle St” and headed west until we reached “Station 13 Street” and the entrance to the castle that needed storming this day…

B02-405_zps19872234.jpg

Welcome to Fort Moultrie.

Of the local fortresses, Sumter is far and away the most famous, but this other little bit of the National Park System offers a whole lot of observable history (and only requires a suggested three buck donation to explore).

Like most forts, it actually does have a lot in common visually with a castle…

B02-406_zps03a1c3b9.jpg

Don’t be too quick to just walk on out to the parade grounds though. Take a little time to roam around the winding halls and explore the magazines in this part of the structure. For one thing it’s cool in here and you get a break form the oppressive summer heat. Speaking of cool, one of the coolest things we encountered down in here was how the acoustics in some of the empty powder magazines created an almost perfect echo chamber…

B02-407_zps6e02884f.jpg

obviously the picture doesn’t relate it very well, but listening to Bill and Sal sing a duet of “Amazing Grace” down in here was… well… amazing…

(Especially as I was not helping. It’s best that I don’t sing)

Moving on…

Taking the High Ground

Fort Moultrie is divided up into areas that are restored to represent various eras from its active history; a history that spans the time frame from the Revolution up through the Second World War. We started with the newest part of the fort…

B02-408_zpsce819301.jpg

Well, as you can see… I did anyway. We’d been on our feet a good while by this time of the day and my friends decide that the stair climb just wasn’t in the cards. Anyway, what you’re looking at here is the Charleston “HECP”. That’s what the signal flags fluttering over my head there are proclaiming to all ships entering or leaving the harbor…

“Hotel” – “Echo” – “Charlie’ – “Popa”

(actually in the forties the Navy personnel stationed here would have used the older words: “How - Easy - Charlie - Prep”, but either way) what that means is “Harbor Entrance Control Post”. And this spot certainly does offer a commanding view of the harbor entrance…

B02-409_zpsa6b3674d.jpg

Nearly every US port had a similar station that used the same identifying signal. They were charged with the job of looking after every vessel entering or leaving each harbor. Captains knew to check in and get clearance with these command posts before heading on. Failure to do so might see your ship being shelled by the heavy guns that were originally mounted in the batteries below…

B02-410_zpsb65bb165.jpg

Those “Endicott Batteries” there are actually older then the command post and were built around the time of the Spanish-American War. That’s pretty much how the rest of the fort is laid out. The farther away you move from the HECP, the older the structures become.

B02-411_zps689beea2.jpg

There’s my friends down there waiting for me to get tired and come back down. They’re a good bit smarter then I am. Just off in the distance in that picture you can see Fort Sumter. Here’s a better look from my perspective…

B02-412_zpsfda583a2.jpg

You can see why the Confederates chose this as one of the spots from which to attack it in April if 1861. Actually, this spot has really been the main point of protection for Charleston through most of its history.

A little Bit of History
Because I just can’t resist….

Sorry ‘bout that.

Prior to the advent of modern heavy dredging equipment, shoals and sandbars blocked the main approaches to Charleston Harbor. There were only two marked channels into the harbor and the deepest one traveled right by Sullivan’s Island. The colonial militia here maintained a lookout post or “watch house” on the island starting as early as 1685. When things started going really sour with Mother England in the mid 1770s though, it was decided that something a bit more robust was needed. This prompted the construction of a small fortification.

B02-413_zps2aaa277e.jpg

Initially dubbed: “Fort Sullivan”; the builders used logs of the local “Sable Palmetto” palm for the structure and then backfilled everything with sand. This first fort was about half complete when the Brits first attempted to sail past it. That decision resulted in a retreat, cost them one frigate lost, several others greatly damaged and casualties over ten times that inflicted on the colonists.

It is said that during the engagement, most of the shots fired by the English guns either bounced off or were simply absorbed by the spongy Palmetto logs and sand embankments. Meanwhile, Fort Sullivan’s guns were tearing Admiral Parker’s ships to shreds. Our state’s creation legend was also derived form this battle when at one point in the melee a shot shattered the pole that supported the regiment’s flag. A sergeant named Jasper retrieve the fallen standard and lashed the fractured pole back together in the midst of the battle and in full site of the British thus inspiring the militia to fight on and win the day…

B02-414_zpse3387b8b.jpg

As a result the legislators later chose the regiment’s standard, a blue flag with a white crescent moon in the upper canton, as the bases for the state’s flag. They then added a silhouette of a Palmetto tree to the center of that flag in honor of the strategic logs from which the fort was built and came up with this final design…

B02-415_zpsb995db47.jpg

Rather a good choice vexillologically speaking.

This is also how South Carolina cane to be known as the Palmetto State. The other thing that they did to honor that unlikely victory was to rename the fort after its commander: William Moultrie.

It took the English three years before they finally got past Moultrie and gained control of Charleston (at which point they took control of the palmetto fort and renamed it “Fort Arbuthnot”). Once hostilities finally ceased that original structure was dismantled and the fort “died” for the first time. It was rebuilt in the 1790s, but Mother Nature took exception this time and destroyed it again in 1804 (using a hurricane as the weapon of choice this time). Resurrected for a third time, the location was used for the construction of a “Second System” 40 gun fortification that was begun in 1809.

B02-416_zps2aa7f7d2.jpg

The back wall and the powder magazine that you can see in the upper left of the drawing are still standing and make up the oldest part of the fort today…

B02-417_zps1103b0f9.jpg

I actually took that picture from the roof top observation deck across the street at the official visitor’s center.

As you’d expect of a southern fort, the Confederates occupied Moultrie in December, 1860, shortly after succession. They held it until Charleston surrendered in February, 1865. The part of the fort that represents that period of time is also the most iconic and most photographed part of this particular military park…

B02-418_zps1f54f061.jpg

The two Rodman Guns on the main wall that are looking out onto Fort Sumter

B02-419_zps626d6a03.jpg

Running out of Daylight

After clambering all over Fort Moultrie, we attempted to explore “Battery Jasper”.

B02-420_zpsb06a804e.jpg

This is a World War I era shore battery emplacement built next to Moultrie (and named for that fellow who retrieved the regimental flag back there during the revolution). There are several other batteries of this type spread across the island. Most were abandoned in place. Some have been reused for other purposes such as housing the town library or even as private homes…

B02-425_zpsdac00373.jpg

Battery Jasper however is fully restored. The problem was that it was getting late in the day and the Park Service had just begun to close things down by the time we’d walked over there. That’s unfortunate because there are some interesting exhibits and excellent photo views from the top of this structure.

Like I said, it was getting late. We also had to think about getting back up to Garden City by this point. Logic dictated that it may just be time to pack it in for the day. On the way off the island we did pass by the Coast Guard Station, so I tried to get a picture or two of the funky lighthouse…

B02-421_zpsa6102f5b.jpg

We were moving at the time so that’s not the greatest picture to be sure. We could have stopped, but it was already past five and no visitors allowed in the structure at this time anyway. It’s considered too dangerous for civilians to be allowed to clime. This boxy column rising up from the island sands is the last coastal beckon that was built in the US for navigational purposes. It opened in 1962 and is the only light house with a tower that is triangular in design.

B02-422_zpsa5a42867.jpg

There is method to the madness. One edge of the triangle is facing directly into the prevailing winds and the design allows it to cut through sustained gusts up to and beyond hurricane force. It sustained almost no damage when Hugo pounded the SC coast in 1989.

The same could not be said for the only bridge connecting the island to the mainland…

B02-423_zps1519c0f4.jpg

But even that was resurrected and lives on…

B02-424_zpsaa13c08c.jpg

…bidding us a farewell as we started traveling back up the coast.

Next up: A final (short) wrap up

…because I ran a bit longer then I intended to here.

Part 4: Have Fun Storming the Castle

That line never gets old.

Another one we didn't have time for. Good thing I have this TR to fall back on!:thumbsup2

obviously the picture doesn’t relate it very well, but listening to Bill and Sal sing a duet of “Amazing Grace” down in here was… well… amazing…

I guess they can carry a tune without a bucket?:confused3

I would have gone with the standard, "Now batting for the Philadelphia Phillies..."

Failure to do so might see your ship being shelled by the heavy guns that were originally mounted in the batteries below…

I can't imagine that would be pleasant for the poor guy in his canoe.

There’s my friends down there waiting for me to get tired and come back down. They’re a good bit smarter then I am. Just off in the distance in that picture you can see Fort Sumter. Here’s a better look from my perspective…

Looks familiar somehow. I can't imagine it would be fun getting caught in the crossfire from these two forts.

That decision resulted in a retreat, cost them one frigate lost, several others greatly damaged and casualties over ten times that inflicted on the colonists.

Serves 'em right.

Rather a good choice vexillologically speaking.

Sounds like you should get that looked at.

It took the English three years before they finally got past Moultrie and gained control of Charleston (at which point they took control of the palmetto fort and renamed it “Fort Arbuthnot”).

Why? Was "Fort Argthoiujrxcvbert" taken?:confused3

The two Rodman Guns on the main wall that are looking out onto Fort Sumter

Cool. :thumbsup2

Some have been reused for other purposes such as housing the town library or even as private homes…

Now that's interesting. The fish is a classy touch.

On the way off the island we did pass by the Coast Guard Station, so I tried to get a picture or two of the funky lighthouse…

Yeah, I'm gonna go with "ugly" on that one.

a town library built from a converted heavy gun battery
Never seen it, but it has to be the coolest library in the US.

“Station 22 1/2 Street
“The Middle St”
“Station 13 Street”
You were right about the street names. Who named them??

Speaking of cool, one of the coolest things we encountered down in here was how the acoustics in some of the empty powder magazines created an almost perfect echo chamber…
Just think how those acoustics would be if someone lit a match in a full powder magazine. :scared1:

(Especially as I was not helping. It’s best that I don’t sing)
And here I thought you were a musician...

They’re a good bit smarter then I am.
You said it, not me. Just off in the distance in that picture you can see Fort Sumter. :rolleyes1

When things started going really sour with Mother England in the mid 1770s though, it was decided that something a bit more robust was needed. This prompted the construction of a small fortification.
Apparently this action didn't raise a red flag. I wouldn't think this unauthorized building would have been allowed.

A sergeant named Jasper retrieve the fallen standard and lashed the fractured pole back together in the midst of the battle and in full site of the British thus inspiring the militia to fight on and win the day…
And do they name it Fort Jasper? No, they name it after his commander who was safely behind the walls.

It was rebuilt in the 1790s, but Mother Nature took exception this time and destroyed it again in 1804 (using a hurricane as the weapon of choice this time).
Well, I'm kind of thinking that if the fort couldn't survive a hurricane, it probably needed to be torn down and reconstructed anyway. :confused3

This is a World War I era shore battery emplacement built next to Moultrie (and named for that fellow who retrieved the regimental flag back there during the revolution).
About time he gets some recognition.

The same could not be said for the only bridge connecting the island to the mainland…
Wouldn't want to have been driving on it. Then again, hopefully most would have had the sense to have been long gone from the area before it got that extreme.

Heaven help me when I go to Disney in June and then have the wedding. After being home for nearly two weeks after Florida, I'm still not caught up.

I'm doing basic "fly bys" on everyone's TRs. I read them and then say I'm caught up and enjoyed the updates (I just don't have time wth all of them to make small talk). But I know if anyone will understand this and still love me, it's you Rob.

So, I'm caught up, loved the updates and can't wait for the next one. :goodvibes

That line never gets old.

Nope…
Never will either :lmao:

Another one we didn't have time for.

Go back (and take me with you when you do).

I guess they can carry a tune without a bucket?:confused3

Yes, yes they can…
Sal in particular is rather good at it.
That’s why they do the singing and I do the playing.

I would have gone with the standard, "Now batting for the Philadelphia Phillies..."

The “Luckiest guy… on the face of the Earth” speech would have been a good one as well.

I can't imagine that would be pleasant for the poor guy in his canoe.

Good point.
Assuming they’d have picked up on something that small with the equipment of the time.

Looks familiar somehow. I can't imagine it would be fun getting caught in the crossfire from these two forts.

That would make for some very difficult navigation indeed.

Serves 'em right.

Yep. And that’s the history I wish my current home state would focus on.

Sounds like you should get that looked at.

I’m afraid it’s inoperable

Why? Was "Fort Argthoiujrxcvbert" taken?

Just adding insult to injury, I figure.

Now that's interesting. The fish is a classy touch.

Just wouldn’t be the same without the fish no would it.

Yeah, I'm gonna go with "ugly" on that one.

::yes::
But at least they got Congress to let them change the color scheme.
As originally built, not only was it ugly, but it was also painted orange and white.

Never seen it, but it has to be the coolest library in the US.

It’s certainly unique…

T4-012_zpse6f564c5.jpg

And neigh on to hurricane proof.

You were right about the street names. Who named them??

A long while back there was a trolley that came across form the mainland and traversed the length of the island. The story goes that the cross streets are simply named for the various numbered stations that it stopped at along the way.

Just think how those acoustics would be if someone lit a match in a full powder magazine. :scared1:

Given a choice, I’d like to be far enough away form that bit of rapid oxidation to not be able to hear it at all. I can still vividly remember the sound and sensation of that house that blew up while were up in y’all neck of the woods last year. Imagine dealing with a magazine failure. It would have to be a lot like what happened down in Texas recently.

And here I thought you were a musician...

1) Not all musicians are accomplished vocalists (few in fact).
2) Dang few “singers” are musicians.

Best to know your strengths and your weaknesses and use them accordingly.

Ya’ struck a nerve there…
The most frustrating part of it is that “singing” (which is often a genetic ability that requires little to no work or effort on the part of those so graced) is far more greatly valued in pop-culture then musicianship (which requires both talent and years of work, study and dedication). Most folks “think” they can sing (they’ve all heard themselves in the shower for Pete’s Sake), so that’s what they’ll gravitate toward. The music part if it… well, that just happens right? Since they can’t do it, it must not be that important. Thus the existence of karaoke.

Apparently this action didn't raise a red flag. I wouldn't think this unauthorized building would have been allowed.

Took a while for the info to get back to the Brits.
The “internets” hadn’t been invented yet.

And do they name it Fort Jasper? No, they name it after his commander who was safely behind the walls.

And we still follow that model.
Some things never change.

Well, I'm kind of thinking that if the fort couldn't survive a hurricane, it probably needed to be torn down and reconstructed anyway. :confused3

You’re probably right about that one. But then again, written accounts have it that it was a particularly nasty hurricane that struck at the time (and that fort was still constructed of wood and sand… they did better with the next one)

About time he gets some recognition.

::yes::
That’s why I spent more time discussing him over the commander.

Wouldn't want to have been driving on it. Then again, hopefully most would have had the sense to have been long gone from the area before it got that extreme.

One could only hope.
But there are those that will stay with their possession far beyond the point of reason.

Heaven help me when I go to Disney in June and then have the wedding. After being home for nearly two weeks after Florida, I'm still not caught up.

I'm doing basic "fly bys" on everyone's TRs. I read them and then say I'm caught up and enjoyed the updates (I just don't have time wth all of them to make small talk). But I know if anyone will understand this and still love me, it's you Rob.

So, I'm caught up, loved the updates and can't wait for the next one. :goodvibes

You’re plenty busy to be sure.
Besides, I’m still talking about boring stuff.

I just appreciate that you’re reading along.

1) Not all musicians are accomplished vocalists (few in fact).
2) Dang few “singers” are musicians.
3) I'm neither. :lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

Ya’ struck a nerve there…
The most frustrating part of it is that “singing” (which is often a genetic ability that requires little to no work or effort on the part of those so graced) is far more greatly valued in pop-culture then musicianship (which requires both talent and years of work, study and dedication). Most folks “think” they can sing (they’ve all heard themselves in the shower for Pete’s Sake), so that’s what they’ll gravitate toward. The music part if it… well, that just happens right? Since they can’t do it, it must not be that important. Thus the existence of karaoke.
Here's the thing though... these days you don't have to be a singer or a musician thanks to autotune. :rolleyes1

Took a while for the info to get back to the Brits.
The “internets” hadn’t been invented yet.
Well, it just seemed like that might be a somewhat significant port back in those days and it would take a while to build a fort... :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter