I think the gas station attendant just charged my gas.....

He did nothing wrong. I truly believe it was an acess card.
I live in NJ and only pay by cash and all the gas stations I go to swipe the white acess card before they pump your gas for you.

I totally agree...no wrong doings...all the gas stations I go to have access cards.

it's a jersey thing. it's illegal to pump your own gas, so they use the "card" to activate your pump. that way they force you to wait for them.

I'm sure it was not a credit card. Where he go for gas they have to swipe a card to activate the pump.

At my local gas station in NJ (Hess) they swipe a "white" looking card before every transaction - before paying cash or with my own CC.

I think it's a way to stop people from pumping their own gas, and this white card activates the pump for the attendant only.

This is exactly what I was going to post! It is just an access card that the attendant has to activate the pump.
I think a lot of people don't realize that in NJ we cannot pump our own gas (and we like it that way! ;))

OP what does it show on your receipt? :confused3

I agree - It's a Jersey thing, lol! I've gotten gas in Jersey before and have seen them use a swipey thing!

On the one hand, some people from NJ have said they've never seen such a thing as an access card (neither has OP but I don't know if he/she is from NJ).

But on the other hand, I doubt that someone could just stand there buying gas all day at the same place on their card, even if it was legit. While filling up our rental, hubby started the process of getting gas, then realized he was parked wrong, and while we were turning around it timed out and he had to go in and have them swipe it again...within half an hour we had a call from our bank's fraud department b/c of it being swiped twice inside of 15 minutes at the gas station. So unless the guy wanted to deal with THAT all day, I doubt he's using his card (and if he's scamming, he'd need a pocketful of cards).

YEP!! Our hands stay clean and we stay toasty warm in the winter and we never get rained on!! I LOVE our full service stations!!!:thumbsup2

I agree!!
I know those who use the gas station on the Turnpike and the Parkway (who are from out of state) complain since those lines are long... but here at home, I never have to wait. I pull up, guy comes out fills it up and I am out of there in no time!!

I live in NJ too and there are some stations that have a fob type thing or the credit card thing that they swipe to get the pump started.

I'm sooooo jealous.......OH wait DH pumps my gas, same thing :lmao:

Suzanne

LOL well that works too!! LOL

DH usually will pump ours when out of state....
but I will never forget one freeezing cold ice storm in massachusetts when my hand froze while pumping gas..:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: ( i was alone with my DS 11)

to his credit card:scared1:

I got gas at a full service (NJ) station and was paying cash. Before he typed in the amount on the pump, he pulled out a card from his pocket and swiped it where a credit card goes. After pumping, he took my cash.

I got to thinking - that's a good racket there! He uses his card for cash purposes and gets to keep all of the points/miles, etc. earned on his card for the purchase!

Of course, it took nothing from me personally, but it felt kinda sneaky:confused3

Anyone else experience this?

This is fraud. They are using their card to earn points on your transaction.
I've seen it frequently, and I was curious, so I asked the atttendant why he had to swipe that card. I asked if he was earning points on my transaction and told him it was illegal.
He became angry, and yelled at me to "Shut your mouth!".

I called the company to ask about this and they confirmed it is considered fraud.

If it happens to you, be sure to get a receipt, call the card company with the location and the attendant's name and they will look into it.

It seems like this would be a red flag to a credit card company. "Hmm...Joe gets gas at the exact same gas station everyday thirty different times a day."

My guess is that it is access to the pump. I would have asked him.

Damn! Missed that it was a zombie thread! I am usually pretty good at checking the dates. Oh well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter