• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I wanted to love WLV.....

pinoke

Mouseketeer
but we really didn't. We just returned from a stay there and were so disappointed. Our room was clean and a good size. The woods view meant trees actually in the balcony so we couldn't sit outside, and was very close to a walkway so breakfast in our pjs wasn't an option.
We didn't like the fact that there was no food option at all at the pool. We found the main lodge pool to be so tiny and crowded. We were excited to have boat access to/from MK but the one day we tried we waited 40 (!) minutes for the boat from the CR.
Our 3 night stay there was after a fantastic stay at AK-J. I had so wanted to enjoy the split stay but after a night at WLV we were all ready to go home ( and the rain didn't help)! We loved the lodge lobby and QS- maybe the lodge is better? I know many people like it there...???

Check it off your list and move on to the next one. :thumbsup2

I hope that you had the tree trimmed.

The great thing about WDW is that there are so many DVC resorts with different locations and themes, you are going to find one that you will love.

:earsboy: Bill

We LOVE AKJ....and Bay Lake also. I was just surprised because I had heard from so man people that they love WL, wondering if staying in the villas really are that different from the lodge.

My inlaws raved about VWL so we tried it on a trip with them over July 4th of 2008 (we did a split stay at BWV which we raved about and VWL which they raved about). I was not impressed but DH and DS say it's been their fave as does my BIL. DH and I love BWV but my inlaws were not so impressed at all. DH and I will try BLT for the 1st time in 2 weeks...he is not stoked but I am. Just from being over at the CR and TOTWL he doesn't like the feel of it. We also will stay, with kids and inlaws, at AKV for the 1st time in Dec and then we will have tried ALL the East coast DVC except the new GFV. We will then have our order of preference and will try to book accordingly, but even if we have to stay at the resort at the bottom of our list (right now it's SSR) we will be happy because they all have some good qualities.

We actually like the lodge better and like you love AKV-Jambo. It is our favorite but we are trying different resorts b/c of young kids and stroller.

I agree about the pool at VWL. It's definitely too small.
I stayed at AkV jambo in the spring and didnt love it. I own at VWL and absolutely love SSR!! Good thing we have so many DVC choices!

I agree completely. I had the same issues. I hated it! I finally stayed in the lodge last Oct and it was amazing!! The lodge is so comfortable and the rooms are a million times nicer. I'll stay in the lodge again but no way will I stay in the Villas ever again.

I agree completely. I had the same issues. I hated it! I finally stayed in the lodge last Oct and it was amazing!! The lodge is so comfortable and the rooms are a million times nicer. I'll stay in the lodge again but no way will I stay in the Villas ever again.

I am with you on that one. WLV is the bottom of my DVC favorites list. Just too dark for me. Love the Lodge lobby and restaurants, but the DVC rooms, not at all.

Wow, sorry you "hated" it - but you should be aware that each DVC villas has + and - related to your experiences....

- Tree in your balcony made it unusable? You should have called
- Walkway next to balcony? Almost ALL DVC villas have walkways or pools next to them
- Food options at pool? You must go to the main pools at most of the DVC resorts to find any food options, and at some those are limited. It is common to have to go get your food and bring it back to the pool. There are only a few complete quick service options that are really poolside.
- Never heard WL main pool described as tiny. All WDW pools except out of the way leisure pool seem crowded to me during prime hours.
- Your 40 minute wait was too long, but in every week long stay there will be one or two long waits for a but or boat.

Your expectations were set very high by your stay at AK-J. There are a small number of DVC villas there and having that right at the center of all the action is unique for DVC. Almost every DVC is a separate wing or farther. I wonder how upset you would have been to be at Kidani - small pool and no quick service, but 80% of DVC for AK is there.

The main lodge for WL is wonderful, but it looks the same and has regular rooms not studios and villas. Balconies facing the woods have no walkways but others face the pool, walks, and parking.

The great thing about WDW is that there are so many DVC resorts with different locations and themes, you are going to find one that you will love.

Also simple and to the point. :thumbsup2

VWL is our absolute favorite resort, but it's great to have a lot of options. Let's face it, if everyone's favorite resort was the same then nobody but the resort owners would ever get to stay there.

We tried VWL last May and had similar feelings. Our previous stays were in the hotel itself and we loved it there...but our VWL experience was quite different. Would I stay there again? Maybe...just not my favorite, but I had to give it a try. Maybe we are just hard core Epcot Resorts people! That being said, all DVC resorts are beautiful and offer their own uniqueness and if reservations at VWL were the only option, it would still make me happy.

but we really didn't. We just returned from a stay there and were so disappointed. Our room was clean and a good size. The woods view meant trees actually in the balcony so we couldn't sit outside, and was very close to a walkway so breakfast in our pjs wasn't an option.
We didn't like the fact that there was no food option at all at the pool. We found the main lodge pool to be so tiny and crowded. We were excited to have boat access to/from MK but the one day we tried we waited 40 (!) minutes for the boat from the CR.
Our 3 night stay there was after a fantastic stay at AK-J. I had so wanted to enjoy the split stay but after a night at WLV we were all ready to go home ( and the rain didn't help)! We loved the lodge lobby and QS- maybe the lodge is better? I know many people like it there...???

Huge fan of the Lodge, but not the villas and yes the pool is way too small. It was small for the Lodge but the situation just got worse when the Villas were added and you have people crashing it from the campground.

As Bill said, just mark it down as not a repeat and move on to those you do enjoy.

We stayed at VWL once. It was the only DVC that the four of us didn't like. Between the four of us we have different favorites. We stay at a different resort every time. I just leave VWL off my list. I am sure many people leave my beloved SSR off their's.

We stayed at the WL before we were DVC members. We loved everything about it. Last year at Xmas we booked WLV for the week and it was the worst room we ever had while staying on Disney property. It was Xmas week, changing rooms wasn't an option. So many things went wrong with the room, and we had numerous visits from maintenance, house keeping managers, and managers. After a lot of annoyance things were worked out and the manager there did a fantastic job helping us and making things right. The resort is so beautiful, especially at Xmas and even though our room was a nightmare, the resort itself was outstanding. We loved it. Would we go back? Yes, but only after the rooms get a major rehab.

One year, I stayed in the villas for my annual solo December trip. I had heard so many great things about how wonderful WLV was around Christmas time and was very excited.

My personal opinion: I feel it is too isolated from the Lodge. The hallways felt like The Shining :scared: and actually creeped me out when I would come home late at night . . . and I became lonely on that trip - something I never do. Apparently, I like my resort to be hopping and that's why I love, love, love to stay at AKV - Jambo House when solo. :goodvibes

that is OK - don't stay there again. ;) We are not fans of Beach Club villas or AK - Jambo - but we LOVE love love love LOVE our home resort VWL.

Isn't it great that there are so many to choose from that we can find our favorites?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter