I was not allowed to use rocking chairs at Baby Care Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

mom2maggie

DIS Veteran
Twice on our recent trip I was turned away at the Baby Care Center at the Magic Kingdom because I use bottles to feed my baby. I was told I was not allowed to use the room with the rocking chairs, and that I would have to sit in the open room with highchairs/regular chairs, with the TV.

The first time, I warmed the bottle, and chatted with the girl in the room with the micro/bottle warmer, and she was quite pleasant. I wandered into around, looking for the rocking chairs, and stepped in to ask her. She got kind of rude with me and told me that because I was not a nursing mother, I was not allowed to use the rocking chairs. I started to tear up and get upset (it's a very touchy subject for me as I tried to nurse and struggled for 6 months before I had to wean) and she just shrugged said 'Those are the rules'. Another mother in the highchair room told me that I should just knock and ask if anyone minded. I did, and no one cared.

The next time I stopped in a couple of days later, I warmed her bottle, and the woman (different worker) working there pointed to the room with the television again, and told me 'You are not allowed in the rocking chair room'. I told her that wasn't fair, and she said 'Those are the rules' I left and went straight to Guest Relations and told them I was upset and why, and they took my complaint. I doubt it goes anywhere, but at least I told them how I felt!

Has anyone else been turned away from the Baby Care Centers? I was so excited about being able to rock my baby and feed her in a dimly lit, quiet environment, just like we have at home. I rock her and feed her at almost every feeding, so she was majorly thrown off not having that quiet time. FWIW, I did use a rocking chair at the Baby Care Center at DHS - no one even questioned it (probably because they don't have workers there?)
What would they have done if I had come to the Magic Kingdom 1 month earlier, when I was still bottle feeding and breastfeeding at every feeding? Kicked me out once we were done nursing and made me bottlefeed in the open room?

Are those rules posted anywhere?

If not, then want to follow up on your complaint (email every now and then) until you get an RSVP?

:hug: I am so sorry that you had this experience. I tried so hard with breastfeeding but I was not able to produce enough milk so my son ended up being completely bottle fed. It was such a painful time not being able to breastfeed my son and having people judge you for bottle feeding.

I think it was very cold and callous the way you were treated. Just because you don't breastfeed doesn't mean that you and your child should not be able to relax and enjoy a feeding in a rocking chair. What a crazy rule. I hope that you write a letter to Disney so that no other mother goes through this.

I was unable to breastfeed because my son was a C-section and my wound re-opened - I lost so much blood over the course of a week because they did not realize that my wound had reopened- it was 6 inches deep and 2 inches wide. By the time, they realized, I had lost 32 pounds and I had only gained 19 during my pregnancy and was so weak that I required a blood transfusion. I had a homecare nurse come to my home for 2 months while they packed my wound 100 meters of packing (equivalent to 100 yards of packing). The doctor told me that my body was in survival mode and that was why I could only produce an ounce of milk after pumping for 45 minutes. It was such an emotionally devastating experience and if I had been treated like you were at Disney - I would have completely broke down.

It is not right to treat a mother the way you were treated. Whether it be breastfeed or bottle feed, a baby is being feed and should be able to be rocked. Please write a letter to Disney because they need to have their staff understand what a tramatic and emotional issue it is.:hug:

Sorry again that you were treated in this way.:hug::grouphug:

That is ridiculous. I honestly would have whipped out my **** right then and there and said, "well, I'll breastfeed then." :rotfl2:

I'm kinda crazy like that though. I pump and bottle feed, and it will be interesting to see what happens when we travel to WDW this year.

Kat, that happened with me with my first birth! I had my wound packed for 2 months as well - my wound was 14cm wide by 7cm deep. I struggled producing with that baby too. I did better with this birth, but due to my PCOS, I just don't produce enough milk.

I was just shocked that they would treat me that way! I could understand if the nursing/rocking chair room was on a waitlist, or if there were people standing around waiting to feed their babies, but that wasn't the case at all. And even then, why is my baby not worthy?

Kat, that happened with me with my first birth! I had my wound packed for 2 months as well - my wound was 14cm wide by 7cm deep. I struggled producing with that baby too. I did better with this birth, but due to my PCOS, I just don't produce enough milk.

I was just shocked that they would treat me that way! I could understand if the nursing/rocking chair room was on a waitlist, or if there were people standing around waiting to feed their babies, but that wasn't the case at all. And even then, why is my baby not worthy?

:hug: Wow, you have been through so much - I don't know how you held it all together - I would have completely burst into tears at being treated that way. I find it absolutely shocking that a Baby Care Center would have staff that were so completely insensitive! I hope that you do send a letter to Disney on behalf of all the moms who are unable to breastfeed but get treated like second class citizens.:hug: Our Children are totally worthy! And no mother should ever be treated the way you were.:hug:

I was told the same thing when I asked to use the room to bottle feed my daughter. Nursing mothers only. So, I had to try to feed my daughter her bottle while kids were throwing some blocks in the room with the television at Epcot. While another time at MK I had to wait to feed her because a large family was in the television room watching UP! and no seats were available - luckily the movie was about to end when I walked in there.

It was frustrating, but there wasn't much I could do about it. I do love the Baby Care Centers, but wish I could use the quiet room like the nursing mothers.

It's a rule at Disneyland too, but they are more lax about it there. They will allow bottle feeding if no other nursing moms need the chair you are using. If they are busy and you are the only mom not nursing and one comes in, you have to give up the rocker and move. I did a combo of breast and bottle feeding. I would nurse first and then take the bottle out of the cooler bag and give my son the bottle next. Luckily he didn't mind cold bottles!

I actually think it's a fair rule. You can feed a bottle anywhere at WDW. Nursing moms deserve some privacy if they wish. Of course everyone would like to relax, but those centers are not meant to cater to every single parent with a baby at the parks.

Maybe they are trying to cut back on the use of the centers? I mean I read on here about people using them for far more than babies. going in with 2,3,4,even 5 yr olds just because they don't want to go to a reg bathroom, get out of the heat,etc. It has to be using a lot of staff and supplies, but mostly staff,which is expensive so maybe they are trying to get it back to infant care to save money.

It really is just a courtesy by Disney and something they could easily just do away with.

That's my guess.

That's horrible! I can't believe they wouldn't let you feed your baby in there. It's ridiculous! I dislike the way the nursing room is so secluded. I mean, I appreciate that it's a quiet place to nurse, but I don't like the impression it gives that nursing should be something done in the dark, as if it's something embarrasing. It should be open to all moms who want a quiet place to feed.

The only reason I could think of for them enforcing this rule us that there are only a few chairs available. At one point I was using the room and there was a full house. However, it makes more sense for them to ask you to give up your chair to a mom who needs to nurse rather than just deny you access altogether.

The nursing rooms are limited in size and as far as I know have signs posted "nursing mothers only".

I actually think it's a fair rule. You can feed a bottle anywhere at WDW. Nursing moms deserve some privacy if they wish. Of course everyone would like to relax, but those centers are not meant to cater to every single parent with a baby at the parks.

I'm as big a lactivist as you can get (though I was never into nursing in public b/c DS thought I should be a flasher), but I think it's absolutely UNfair.

Rocking and feeding are about the BABY. Sitting comfortably is just as much for the baby as for the mother. Being in a quiet room is about the BABY.

This is absolutely unfair, and I have half a mind to write them about this (WDW and DLR), because I hate the idea that a baby is being treated differently, and has to eat in a louder environment than normal, just because for whatever reason they aren't being fed from the biological source.

And if I have another baby and use one of those rocking chairs (though honestly I hate most rocking chairs and DS was too long to be comfortable nursed in one) and hear such an outrageously rude thing being said to someone, I will get up and I will invite that woman in to use "my" chair.

While I think that type of enforcement stinks, I understand the reasoning: they obviously have enough demand that they feel that they need to reserve the quiet room for nursing mothers and those who pump, otherwise those folks (who may not for whatever reason be adept at discreetly NIP) may not find those chairs available when they need them.
If you have spent any time on the Theme Parks board at all, you'll know that there are some guests who will complain to Guest Services about encountering nursing mothers in the parks, so you know that it is in WDW's best interests to provide a private place for those ladies who cannot manage to hide everything easily. (It's especially tricky for new moms who are shall we say, generously endowed, and for moms of squirmers.)

Just FYI, if you have never nursed you may not realize that in some cases, waiting may not really be a viable option if you don't want to soak your clothing. When a major letdown hits, it can drench you in milk in only a minute or two, and it can be quite painful, too, if you cannot let the pressure off. Nursing standing up is an option for some people, but it can be a tricky thing with a larger child, and is very hard on the arms if you are not using a sling.

As to what to do, I'm channeling Admiral Grace Hopper: "It's easier to get forgiveness than permission." IME, the CM's almost never enter the nursing rooms when they are occupied, so they probably won't see you actually giving the bottle unless you choose to let them. Stay completely outside, and send your DH in to warm the bottle and get it ready, then bring it out to you. Take it and tuck it discretely into your diaper bag, then head on into the nursing room with baby and get your little one fed. All I would ask is that if all the chairs are full and you see some really desperate nursing mom come in who is trying to juggle her clothes and a screaming child, try to let her have the chair asap. If she was really good at discretely NIP she'd already be doing it, so please, be kind.

PS: If your baby is used to room temp. bottles, then so much the better. Just walk on in and don't take the bottle out until the door closes behind you.

As to what to do, I'm channeling Admiral Grace Hopper: "It's easier to get forgiveness than permission." IME, the CM's almost never enter the nursing rooms when they are occupied, so they probably won't see you actually giving the bottle unless you choose to let them. Stay completely outside, and send your DH in to warm the bottle and get it ready, then bring it out to you. Take it and tuck it discretely into your diaper bag, then head on into the nursing room with baby and get your little one fed. All I would ask is that if all the chairs are full and you see some really desperate nursing mom come in who is trying to juggle her clothes and a screaming child, try to let her have the chair asap. If she was really good at discretely NIP she'd already be doing it, so please, be kind.

PS: If your baby is used to room temp. bottles, then so much the better. Just walk on in and don't take the bottle out until the door closes behind you.

OOooh MY!! I was JUST thinking this!!
I would soooo do this in a heartbeat! I'd even throw a blankie over my shoulder to block a view of the bottle :rolleyes1

I did better with this birth, but due to my PCOS, I just don't produce enough milk.

OH! My gosh...I'm so sorry that this happened. I can totally relate though. I've got PCOS and tried to breastfeed my son and it didn't work so this time I didn't even try.

I would have a hard time with someone telling me I can't use certain facilities when I paid just as much as the next person and in some cases probably more since I bought DVC. Lucky for me--or maybe lucky for them--that by the time I bring my new princess to the World she will be walking around (or close to it) carrying her bottle. (And in the process of weaning to a cup only)

I hope your complaint gets some positive response!

I'm sorry that happened, OP. As a mom who nursed, it would have never bothered me to have someone bottle-feeding in the nursing rooms.

I am so sorry...that is not ok.I know how you feel, I tried to nurse my son (now 12) but I ended up in the hospital 4 times with painfull breast infections...worst pain I ever felt in my life! I ended up stopping after 3 months because I couldnt take it anymore..when I had my dd4 my milk never even came in AT ALL :sad1: so it was the bottle for her also.I would have just went in and put a blanket over you and the baby...some babies really need that soothing time while eating and sitting there while blocks are flying is NOT soothing!

If there is so much of a demand that they have to be rocking chair Nazis, can't they buy more rocking chairs? I mean, it's Disney for goodness sakes!

Right! :thumbsup2 As a mom who breastfed her DD, I think any mom who wants to feed her baby in a cool, quiet place should be able to do so if the facilities are available. If they are running out of chairs regularly to the point that the occasional bottle feeding baby can't be accomodated, then they need a bigger space and more chairs. Sure, it's a nice perk that they even HAVE these centers - but we all love how Disney treats its guests, and if a person like the OP walked away offended and hurt, then obviously something needs to be tweaked. I'm sure hurting the feelings of new moms is the last thing the powers that be would want happening in their parks! Write that letter and let them know!

Just one thing, not sure how they should handle it if a dad wanted to bottle feed in the "nursing" room. :confused3 I had absolutely no problem nursing in front of men, or whoever, but might some of the moms who prefer the privacy of the nursing room be uncomfortable with this? Just thinkin' out loud.

It's a rule at Disneyland too, but they are more lax about it there. They will allow bottle feeding if no other nursing moms need the chair you are using. If they are busy and you are the only mom not nursing and one comes in, you have to give up the rocker and move. I did a combo of breast and bottle feeding. I would nurse first and then take the bottle out of the cooler bag and give my son the bottle next. Luckily he didn't mind cold bottles!

I'll join the minority as I agree it is a fair rule but should have some leeway. Do I think that gave the CM the right to be rude ABSOLUTELY NOT!! I think that if there was an open chair you should have been allowed to bottle feed so long as a nursing mother didn't need it. I have been on both sides - my son refused to nurse despite weeks of effort and several hundred paid to lactation consultants so I pumped and bottle fed for 6 months. My DD is the opposite - only nurses and refuses a bottle. When we went to Disney when she was 5 months old and I never actually used the BC, I just had my cover and did what I had to do. I tried to find less crowded places but still got some strange looks - uh I was sitting here first :confused3 Now I'm wondering if anyone complained about me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter