I was not allowed to use rocking chairs at Baby Care Center

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talk about judging! I'm not for sure you are qualified to state what most breastfeeding moms would or would not do. I don't know how you would DARE say that bf is or isn't for someone else. I think you also need to get out there and meet some more bf moms . . . then you would not have the nerve to make such a ridiculous statement. You obviously don't know how difficult and time consuming nursing can be. However, most who do it feel the benefits outweigh the difficulties they may have. You also need to reevaluate who is sulking here . . .

That's funny. How do YOU know that I DON'T breastfeed?

This thread isn't going anywhere, obviously everyone has strong feelings about this and we are all going around in circles. It needs to be closed. It isn't helping anyone and that is what the DIS is supposed to be for! I'm done. :thumbsup2

Okay here is the whole post. And I sitll find it fuels the fire

I agree this comment wasn't required as the issue isn't about perks as quite franky a perk would be to be able to feed without the worry of someone saying something rude to you about breastfeeding in public. But this is 1 breastfeeding mother out of the plenty that have posted comments.

The majority of us have said we couldn't give a flying fig on they way someone elses child is fed.

In public you get both camps defending/supporting their decision MOST do this without offending or being rude to the other group.

Your other post about the issue being about having equal facilities for doing equal things. Again you are correct, if the demand for a quiet room with rocking chairs is there, then contact Disney. Bearing in mind though you can please some of the people some of the time, you can't please all of the people all of the time. There will always be people who are disappointed with what is on offer for what ever reason.

Kirsten

Maybe I'm just cynical, but I don't even think that Disney provides the bf rooms because of complaints about NIP. They are sponsered by a formula compnay and these days formula companies are required to give lip service to "Breast is Best" -- which is why I think we have these rooms.

BTW, I NIP all the time, but I am grateful for the rooms (no matter why they are there.) Neither one of my girls would let a blanket cover them when they nurse and it is always a struggle to keep myself somewhat covered. The rooms let me just relax and not care about who I'm flashing.

I also think that while it is important that bottle-feeding moms not feel bad for the fact (and I won't say choice because I know that is not always the case) that they bottle-feed, as a society we should be encouraging people to breastfeed and it is amazing that something as natural and beneficial as breastfeeding was almost completely washed out of our culture just a generation ago. If that means that we should give some "perks" to breastfeeding moms, so be it.

That's funny. How do YOU know that I DON'T breastfeed?

This thread isn't going anywhere, obviously everyone has strong feelings about this and we are all going around in circles. It needs to be closed. It isn't helping anyone and that is what the DIS is supposed to be for! I'm done. :thumbsup2

Well, it was kind of obvious from your numerous posts on this thread that you aren't that familiar with it. . .

That phrase isn't what I think is inappropriate but the "we deserve perks"

it sounds like "we are better and deserve to be treated as such". Now it may not have been intended that way - that is how it comes across.

Many see a private room as bf moms being better and deserving special treatment. The rationale behind nursing rooms is not a "perk" for more deserving people, it is to make people happy who are uncomfortable with nursing - may that be the nursing mother (rarely but yes) or the majority of society who don't want to see it. It isn't about a bf mom being more deserving. However I think it is also a misconception that the room is quiet. Bottlefeeding moms do not need a private place to feed. Some prefer a quiet place, however that won't happen in a place like Disney. The bf room is private - it is NOT quiet (except the rare times that the whole BCC is not busy and is quiet). I still think Disney is providing what it thinks moms need, whether bf or bottlefeeding. A private place to pump (with outlets) or nurse for bf moms and the tools (bottle warmer etc) for bottlefeeding moms.

Many see a private room as bf moms being better and deserving special treatment. The rationale behind nursing rooms is not a "perk" for more deserving people, it is to make people happy who are uncomfortable with nursing - may that be the nursing mother (rarely but yes) or the majority of society who don't want to see it. It isn't about a bf mom being more deserving. However I think it is also a misconception that the room is quiet. Bottlefeeding moms do not need a private place to feed. Some prefer a quiet place, however that won't happen in a place like Disney. The bf room is private - it is NOT quiet (except the rare times that the whole BCC is not busy and is quiet). I still think Disney is providing what it thinks moms need, whether bf or bottlefeeding. A private place to pump (with outlets) or nurse for bf moms and the tools (bottle warmer etc) for bottlefeeding moms.

Did you even read what I said? I think those "kinds" of comments is what fuels the fire for bottle feeders to feel as though they are being put down.

I don't really care who thinks the room is a perk or not. Saying that breast feeders deserve perks is rude, insulting and certainly sounds like this person thinks bottle feeders are of a lower class citizen.

You are just determined to not agree on anything aren't you?

If you had read my entire post a few back I am sad that you chose this one last phrase to comment on and not even mention the rest of it.

Since it is my post being called out --
I don't know how more clearly to say this, bottle feeders should not feel bad. Heck, my own daughter gets bottles during the day when I'm at work.
But, I refuse to apologize for saying that society should encourage breastfeeding. And the reason I put the word peek in quotes, is because I hardly consider offering a place where breastfeeding moms can nurse without worrying about flashing anybody to be a perk. It is merely an acknowledgement (forced as it may be) that nursing moms have an additional hurdle with respect to feeding their kids.

Thanks, to all the complainers, however, I would be surprised if that one conveince is now taken away from nursers because some moms view it as a slight against their feeding choices.

I don't know how more clearly to say this, bottle feeders should not feel bad. Heck, my own daughter gets bottles during the day when I'm at work.
But, I refuse to apologize for saying that society should encourage breastfeeding. And the reason I put the word peek in quotes, is because I hardly consider offering a place where breastfeeding moms can nurse without worrying about flashing anybody to be a perk. It is merely an acknowledgement (forced as it may be) that nursing moms have an additional hurdle with respect to feeding their kids.

Thanks, to all the complainers, however, I would be surprised if that one conveince is now taken away from nursers because some moms view it as a slight against their feeding choices.

Yes, this. :thumbsup2

And by "facing an additional hurdle," I feel it is safe to say that none of us mean "facing an additional hurdle because we care more/parent better/are more awesome than you and therefore deserve massage chairs and medals in the VIP room."

This certainly isn't the way your post came off. It came off as "we deserve perks for breastfeeding"

And the only reason that "we" bottle feeders are sensitive to this kind of thing is not because we are insecure ~ but because we have had this sort of thing said to us again and again and again.

You did get a huge financial perk. My DD was allergic to everything and could only drink a special formula that cost about $30 - $50/day to feed her. It really sucked to have to put out that money and then just have her vomit it back up in my lap.

Bottlefeeding was no walk in the park at my house. It was done out of necessity and we fed her on demand hoping to get some small amount of nutrition to stay in ~ and then to have BF'ers tsk, tsk me for bottle feeding ~ it sucked and YES it made me sensitive to comments like this.

And again ~ I don't think people are reading all the posts ~ I said the original poster MAY NOT HAVE meant it this way.

It is hard to tell the tone of a conversation through the typed word.

This certainly isn't the way your post came off. It came off as "we deserve perks for breastfeeding"

And the only reason that "we" bottle feeders are sensitive to this kind of thing is not because we are insecure ~ but because we have had this sort of thing said to us again and again and again.

You did get a huge financial perk. My DD was allergic to everything and could only drink a special formula that cost about $30 - $50/day to feed her. It really sucked to have to put out that money and then just have her vomit it back up in my lap.

Bottlefeeding was no walk in the park at my house. It was done out of necessity and we fed her on demand hoping to get some small amount of nutrition to stay in ~ and then to have BF'ers tsk, tsk me for bottle feeding ~ it sucked and YES it made me sensitive to comments like this.

And again ~ I don't think people are reading all the posts ~ I said the original poster MAY NOT HAVE meant it this way.

I hear you on that one.. Our daughter is the same way we're having to give her two types of hypoallergenic formula. One RTF and one powdered to supplement the RTF one. It gets very expensive very quickly. But we do what we need to do because we love our kids.

Seriously, this thread is out of control. It just seems not matter what gets said people are going to butt heads. I think at some point sometimes when it gets heated people aren't going to read the posts clearly. Things get said and things get taken in the wrong way.

I hear you on that one.. Our daughter is the same way we're having to give her two types of hypoallergenic formula. One RTF and one powdered to supplement the RTF one. It gets very expensive very quickly. But we do what we need to do because we love our kids.

Seriously, this thread is out of control. It just seems not matter what gets said people are going to butt heads. I think at some point sometimes when it gets heated people aren't going to read the posts clearly. Things get said and things get taken in the wrong way.

Shame how things get heated when people are passionate about their points of view...be grateful that you have your babies, feed them anyway you want, enjoy every minute you have them and believe me in 20 yrs none of this will matter ,,,just so sad to get so stressed over something that not everyone will agree about :sad2:...breathe breathe

Shame how things get heated when people are passionate about their points of view...be grateful that you have your babies, feed them anyway you want, enjoy every minute you have them and believe me in 20 yrs none of this will matter ,,,just so sad to get so stressed over something that not everyone will agree about :sad2:...breathe breathe

So true! ::yes:: My husband wanted me to stop checking on this thread. I really should listen to him. It is a silly thing to be stressed out about.

I am sorry you had to go through that. I know a few people who had similar issues. While I also think it is wrong that people made comments to you about how you chose to feed your baby there are plenty of Mothers who have endured the same thing that BF. Would you have liked to be told "that'a gross" "My ****s are for my DH" yeah- like nursing my child is even close to being the same as that:sick: "I don't want to be stuck in the house with my kid" "Where are you going to feed him/her?" said with a look of disgust and terror because I might actually chose to feed my child exactly where I am.

I still don't care what anyone says. Society had made rooms like the Nursing Rooms at the BCC a necessity. It's not the nursing Moms who are demanding VIP rooms. The Public can't separate feeding a child from intimacy amongst adults.

You picked one post out of over 30 to complain about, and then you don't expect people to respond because you tack on "she may not have meant it this way" . . .

Then you say how people aren't reading your posts. You said I just can't agree with anybody. No, I just don't agree with a lot of what you say. I don't think that people aren't reading your posts, they just may not agree with them. And, no, I did not get a financial "perk" for bf. I think this shows how little we all know about each other. Yes, it would be great if most of us didn't have to work and were with our babies 24/7. Most of us aren't, though. By the time we buy good breastpumps, all the paraphernalia that entails, the bags, the bottles, the parts, the sanitizing equipment etc - it is not cheap. Plus we have to educate caregivers because few know that there are differences when bottlefeeding a bf child. Not to even mention the struggles that go with learning to bf and the time and effort that goes into keeping one's supply up while they are working full time. Bf is supposed to be natural but that does not mean it is easy. Most bf moms don't expect perks, but it is nice when someone respects our privacy.

In ALL honesty ~ I thought we were going to have to remortage the house to pay for everything with DD2.

She would only eat the premade formula ~ it was about $70 for 24 8oz cans that would last maybe MAYBE three days.

With the formula, the cardiologist, the gastroenterologist, the hospital bills.... :scared1:

Plus all the meds the docs wanted us to "try"

Anywho... OT rant about the cost of DD2... :) Would have traded the house for her though.

REALLY? That is VERY interesting. You are probably also one that thinks if you can't SEE someone's disability, then they don't have one!

Look, I don't know if you bf or not and I really don't care. But, I don't think you have enough knowledge about other people's situations to make such a ridiculous post which is what I commented on. You obviously wanted to get a reaction and you did. Great for you. You obviously aren't familiar with what bf moms go through - whether that is because you never bf or you just didn't experience them - I don't know. However, your posts have come across as anti-bf, not just anti-private room.

So true! ::yes:: My husband wanted me to stop checking on this thread. I really should listen to him. It is a silly thing to be stressed out about.

I think your DH is right...time to move on & not get caught up in the drama of it all...there's a really uplifting thread that started when another OP had a heartwarming day at Macy's gave a warm fuzzy to me :goodvibes as a marinemom

In ALL honesty ~ I thought we were going to have to remortage the house to pay for everything with DD2.

She would only eat the premade formula ~ it was about $70 for 24 8oz cans that would last maybe MAYBE three days.

With the formula, the cardiologist, the gastroenterologist, the hospital bills.... :scared1:

Plus all the meds the docs wanted us to "try"

Anywho... OT rant about the cost of DD2... :) Would have traded the house for her though.

Okay to assume that BF'ing mom's don't go throught financail burdens in feeding their children is insane. For our boys to breast feed we had to pay a lactation consultant to teach me and them how to nurse. We had to buy a hospital grade pump so I could pump while they were to small to nurse, we had to purchase special formula to add to their breast milk, to increase their calorie intake. I would bet that we were equal with you on costs plus we had to double it. Really it is expensive to have kids wheather you breast feed or bottle feed them you don't get a financial break.

I do not see the private room as a "perk" it is needed because our society does not accept breast feeding in public. Yes it is legal - which is all kinds of crazy that something that is god given(****s with milk) has to have laws so that you can feed your child in public. But that is our society so until you can get society to not view a breastfeeding mom as sexual then you need to have private places where they can feed their child without offending others.

Live and let live - life is too short to get stressed out about how a baby is fed - the important issue is that a baby is fed, loved etc etc

However the room IMO only being available to 'Nursing' Mothers is discrimatory!

I hope that you get a response to your complaint - if not only to the attitude of the workers as there are ways of saying things that are not confrontational and handling people in a sensitive and warm way - when you are saying no and well.... maybe if approached differently you may not have been so distressed .......but again maybe I am wrong!

I understand that this debate has been going on for a while and that people are fed up with it all....

However, Disney have a responsibility to meet the needs of all parents with babies and small children - after all we are their 'bread and butter' - for that reason thaey should have facilities that serve all feeders bottle, breast, mums, dads and grandparents...They only way that they find out that needs are not being met is probably via a complaint/feedback.

I think I am going on a bit now...

But do Disney ever read these posts - it would be interesting to know if they do and if the info is used ?? Because they should!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter