I was not interested in EPCOT ratatouille attraction - and now am converted!

Md0u80a2

Dad of 4 under 8!
Hi

I just wanted to share some thoughts.

From the time I heard about the new Ratatouille attraction in EPCOT, I have been underwhelmed.

Let me explain. I am based in the uk and as such, regularly am exposed to material for Disneyland resort Paris. As this attraction is from the Walt Disney studios park in Paris, I have seen it advertised regularly. I am also aware that feedback is 'excellent'. I just didn't understand this.

My mental model was related to the nature of the ride:

- Dark ride
- Motion
- 3D glasses

The only comparable I could think of was Spider-Man at Islands of Adventure. And it just seemed like a pale imitation. Indeed, the movie was not action filled or exciting in anyway, so why would such an attraction make sense. Surely, Finding Nemo, Cars, Monsters inc, incredibles all make more sense. Photos of families sitting in a plastic rat with big fake looking sets of cheese and kitchen tools just doesnt look impressive.

But things have changed. This weekend I took my 2 eldest kids to DLP and we experienced the attraction. Wow. Everything i said was right - and i completely missed the point!

The technology is amazing - trackless sounds like a tech term. The ride is amazing. The ride vehicles dance and the whole ride displays that - from passing within inches of sets and other vehicles to coordinating movement - you get the immediate impression you are a passenger on the back of a living creature - the photos just don't reflect this.

Secondly, my concerns with the subject matter - again, this is so impressive. The feeling of being lodged under a trolley in a busy restaurant and being whisked along - moving wheels at the side in full size, with a big screen all working with the ride vehicles movement. 'This is imagineering at its best, transporting you into action you dont even perceive as action until you live it! And then, doing it in a family friendly way that your whole family can enjoy.

And finally, the theming. 'This is Parisian through and through. I think it fits perfectly to EPCOT - even more so than in DLP - celebrating fake Paris when real Paris is 20 minutes away and 60% of off season visitors are Parisian is a little silly. I only hope we get the attached restaurant we have in Paris.

Wherever you sit on the new direction of EPCOT, there is no where else in world this would fit better.

I look forward to you all getting to enjoy it!

I wasn't sold on it at first either, but my problem was more because I really love the France pavilion the way it is and I'm afraid of it becoming overcrowded and losing it's charm. If the queue is done right, hopefully that won't be an issue. The ride itself sounds great and we really liked the film, Ratatouille. When my daughter was younger she watched it every day for weeks at a time.

I've also been on the Paris ride. I enjoyed it, and the theming is great, it will fit very well into France at Epcot. I also think Epcot will benefit from another major attraction with no height restriction. I dread to think what the queues for it will be like though!

I rode also in DLP and loved, loved the ride, cant wait for it to come. Alas, every brand new ride will have lines for years, another FOP, but still can't wait!

Looking forward to this as well. Love the fact that it is on the opposite side of WS from FEA which will help with crowds although I suppose FEA is already seeing a drop in crowd levels.

Figured I'd place this link here for others who have not seen it. Since it does have screens with 3D, it is always hard to really appreciate how neat this kind of ride is, but it does show how you ride in a trackless 'rat', the use of physical props and theming, as well as the screens that are used. I think that this ride looks great and will fit in perfectly in the France Pavilion.

After this is finished, this pavilion will have a major E-Ticket level ride, a signature restaurant, a table service, a QS and a gelato parlor. This could become one of the best pavilions in WS.

What I think will be key to this new attraction as well is the whole new courtyard this is creating BEHIND the existing pavilion, basically increasing the size of the pavilion immensely and creating a cool view into World Showcase from the new Skyway without seeing "ugly" backstage areas.

There are physical props, but you only see them in passing as you move from screen to screen. It's cute, and any addition to Epcot is welcome, but I not super excited about it (rode it in Paris in May).

I think this is a great addition to the park. I feel like Disney will add more rides to World Showcase.

Im excited for it. Between this and the Skyliner it is going to bring more traffic to the international Gateway area but I feel world showcase does need more for the kids.

They should add the UK ride too, update Mexico to COCO and leave it as that. That will be a nice choice of rides without overdoing things

Im excited for it. Between this and the Skyliner it is going to bring more traffic to the international Gateway area but I feel world showcase does need more for the kids.

They should add the UK ride too, update Mexico to COCO and leave it as that. That will be a nice choice of rides without overdoing things

I am interested long term regarding the transformation of World Showcase. As of now, if everything were to happen you would be adding: Ratatouille E-Ticket trackless ride to France; new seemless movie to China; C-Ticketish ride in UK (IP to be determined); Coco refurb for the boat ride in Mexico; new Brazil Pavilion with at least a TS and a QS (no ride as of now); and add to this the International Gateway Disney Skyliner Station. Of course, we also have the Frozen ride and the expanded Norway Pavilion with the Anna and Elsa M&G; the Canada movie (which by the way, could stand to be updated); and the Epcot classic The American Adventure. There is also the wdwmagic rumor from martin that Illuminations is being upgraded/changed. This entire area could feel very different by 2021/2022.

I guess the question is, at what point would Disney be overdoing things in World Showcase? Five of the pavilions would have a ride/attraction, and two would have movies (there is also the Stage and the Voices of Liberty at the American Pavilion). Would many consider this sufficient in terms of rides/attractions in World Showcase? Or do others feel that the sky is the limit in terms of what they could add? If each pavilion in Epcot had an attraction by 2032 (Epcot's 50th), would that be too much?

I'd agree with that, and make sure future world gets a redo, with decent attractions in what is currently dead space. That's the thing that bothers me more than a lack of kids stuff in world showcase. I hate seeing dead space where there was once something. Has to be more than the space themed restaurant and the guardians of the galaxy coaster.

My concern is all the spending previous to Epcot, they have to be reaching their limit....which could mean Epcot gets put off for another decade.

After what they are doing to world Showcase and a new illuninations, they need to leave that alone. Future world needs a lot of work but I really feel the current buildings waste so much space.

Guardians is making good use of space. It's near mission Space and with the new restaurant it's a space type land. I worry is more that they will cheapen out and just retheme what's currently in future world rather than new rides.

I still believe that once Galaxies edge is done that Hollywood studios is still about 30% in desperate need of reworking and updating but it seems that once Galaxies Edge opens, that's it for Hollywood studios. To me that seems like doing half a job.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter