I was not interested in EPCOT ratatouille attraction - and now am converted!

Thanks for all the interesting thoughts - thanks for my first shout out from Ryno in the daily fix on Thursday!

I agree - world showcase arguably needs attractions, but is interesting and looks relevant

Future world needs lots of expense in the sort of place you don't get direct money back - that true theming - the sort of thing that we are now seeing in new immersive lands, such as new fantasyland!

I hope they can do this

This Coco refurb hasn’t been confirmed though...

Very true. At one point it seemed like a done deal, now not so much. I heard on the wdwmagic forums that the budget for the UK Pavilion (now leaning back towards a Poppins attraction supposedly) has increased, so I don't know if that has impacted the Mexico Pavilion Coco ride. At least the boat ride is still there regardless.

Very true. At one point it seemed like a done deal, now not so much. I heard on the wdwmagic forums that the budget for the UK Pavilion (now leaning back towards a Poppins attraction supposedly) has increased, so I don't know if that has impacted the Mexico Pavilion Coco ride. At least the boat ride is still there regardless.

obviously the ideal scenario is both (and more) get done - but I know there are budgets and I would prefer 1 great ride than 2 lesser ones

obviously the ideal scenario is both (and more) get done - but I know there are budgets and I would prefer 1 great ride than 2 lesser ones

I can't help but think what a nice addition it would be to World Showcase and the UK Pavilion if a C/D level dark ride of Mary Poppins was added. Especially if it was kept more to the classic style of Epcot AA attraction. What a draw that would be.

Hi

I just wanted to share some thoughts.

From the time I heard about the new Ratatouille attraction in EPCOT, I have been underwhelmed.

Let me explain. I am based in the uk and as such, regularly am exposed to material for Disneyland resort Paris. As this attraction is from the Walt Disney studios park in Paris, I have seen it advertised regularly. I am also aware that feedback is 'excellent'. I just didn't understand this.

My mental model was related to the nature of the ride:

- Dark ride
- Motion
- 3D glasses

The only comparable I could think of was Spider-Man at Islands of Adventure. And it just seemed like a pale imitation. Indeed, the movie was not action filled or exciting in anyway, so why would such an attraction make sense. Surely, Finding Nemo, Cars, Monsters inc, incredibles all make more sense. Photos of families sitting in a plastic rat with big fake looking sets of cheese and kitchen tools just doesnt look impressive.

But things have changed. This weekend I took my 2 eldest kids to DLP and we experienced the attraction. Wow. Everything i said was right - and i completely missed the point!

The technology is amazing - trackless sounds like a tech term. The ride is amazing. The ride vehicles dance and the whole ride displays that - from passing within inches of sets and other vehicles to coordinating movement - you get the immediate impression you are a passenger on the back of a living creature - the photos just don't reflect this.

Secondly, my concerns with the subject matter - again, this is so impressive. The feeling of being lodged under a trolley in a busy restaurant and being whisked along - moving wheels at the side in full size, with a big screen all working with the ride vehicles movement. 'This is imagineering at its best, transporting you into action you dont even perceive as action until you live it! And then, doing it in a family friendly way that your whole family can enjoy.

And finally, the theming. 'This is Parisian through and through. I think it fits perfectly to EPCOT - even more so than in DLP - celebrating fake Paris when real Paris is 20 minutes away and 60% of off season visitors are Parisian is a little silly. I only hope we get the attached restaurant we have in Paris.

Wherever you sit on the new direction of EPCOT, there is no where else in world this would fit better.

I look forward to you all getting to enjoy it!
How were the crowds at DLP?

I can't help but think what a nice addition it would be to World Showcase and the UK Pavilion if a C/D level dark ride of Mary Poppins was added. Especially if it was kept more to the classic style of Epcot AA attraction. What a draw that would be.
If the new Mary Poppins movie is a huge hit, there's a very good chance something like that may happen.

Coco probably wasn't a big enough of a :hit :(especially in America) to bother transforming the Mexico ride.

I think it did as well or better than they could have expected though ... so I don't think that would be the reason they decided to not do it after considering it

Hi

In answer to questions:

Crowds in DLP were ok on Friday - DL was dead - walked on Space Mountain 2 at 4pm, 5 mins Buzz, 5 mins Star tours, 15 mins pirates, etc.

The morning in studios we used early access from hotel and was worth its weight in gold - we did Crush coaster, ratatouille, Tower of terror, Rockin rollercoaster all before park opening which pretty much sorted the day and meant we could be far more relaxed - would strongly recommend as during the days, the parks were full of locals on day trips and very busy - 90 mins big thunder, 60 mins space mountain, 60 mins rockin rollercoaster.

In terms of 3D dependence of ratatouille, depends what you mean. Lots of screens yes, but unlike I expected, you aren't conscious of them or even focussing - the crazy action is so encompassing you just go with it. The only exception is the second to last season where you all turn into your own corner for a private screen - reminded me of old Horizons at EPCOT if my memory of 1993 serves me! I think this was part of my surprise - I expected Tough to be a bug or even star tours simulator action and it felt like Amazing spiderman.

Hope this helps

Even if Ratatouille is mainly focused on screens it doesn't feel so. I think it is much better than a "normal" Simulator.
But in Disneyland Paris some of the effects do contantly break which is very annoying . Hopefully, they make it work better in Epcot!

Even if Ratatouille is mainly focused on screens it doesn't feel so. I think it is much better than a "normal" Simulator.
But in Disneyland Paris some of the effects do contantly break which is very annoying . Hopefully, they make it work better in Epcot!

It seems like a number of rides that Disney is going with where screens are a part of the ride, but not the only focus and are blended with physical sets as well - so like Pirates in Shanghai seems like that, and even the Navi River Journey in Pandora. I suspect the Star Wars rides might be like that too

Will they still have the Impressions de France film, or is it going away to make room for the new attraction?

Will they still have the Impressions de France film, or is it going away to make room for the new attraction?

The ride will be basically wrapping around the existing pavilion with the entrance to Ratatouille being via a courtyard behind the existing pavilion and then the show building is next to the existing pavilion, so really, no impact to the existing pavilion

ratatouille-dark-ride-epcot-permit.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter