I went bagless for the first time

This is very helpful! Great idea. So a camera on a neck strap (without a bag) is ok for bagless entry -- that's great to know! And I could carry a ziplock in my pocket for water protection if necessary... :thumbsup2

I really think we are going to give this a try, this year.

I prefer the Disney bag to a Ziploc, because of having the handle to carry it by, but I have used a Ziploc before as well. It also depends on the size of your camera. You could probably fold a Ziploc and a Disney bag and have the best of both worlds.

So long as your camera is not in a case, it qualifies for bagless. If you have it in a case, even on a neck strap, they may have you go through bag check and remove the case (I have seen people waived to the side for this). So I don't wear a case on the camera. I don't really have a "case" for mine anyway - just the normal camera bags. So I pick a lens for the day, make sure the battery is fully charged, and just take the camera itself.

I always wondered about that myself maxiesmom. I wear cargo shorts. I don't stuff them just a small bill fold, I phone and a few small rain ponchos in my back pocket but I could have anything in those big pockets. I see them looking into small camera carriers that are a lot smaller then my pockets. I wonder if they give you a once over and if you look "stuffed" they will ask to see what is in your pockets? :sail:

Which is just more "proof" that the bag check is a joke and a facade.

I'm sorry, this makes me giggle. I'm picturing a person in overstuffed cargo pockets, with mister fan, water bottle, phone case, and other items hooked to every available belt loop!

LOL, agreed. I do love going bagless, don't get me wrong. But when I got with the family, I can't. I'd much rather have one bag with everything I need than crap clipped to my body. But again, to each their own.

Which is just more "proof" that the bag check is a joke and a facade.

A while ago someone posted that the main goal of the bag check is to slow guests down enough that security can give everyone a once over. Makes sense. And if they catch a few people with alcohol on them or other contraband, more power to them.

I was in WDW the first week of June for our family reunion. It was AWESOME!

And this time--I went without any type of bag or backpack--and LOVED it!

It was so nice to skip the extra long lines at bag check and walk right in. I also did not have to store anything while riding or dining. It was so amazing!

Hello! I hope you don't mind me asking this here. I was considering taking a small bag instead of a belly bag/pouch this year. But, from what I understand, there's a separate line for bag holders and you have to check your bag on the rides? Or what? Lol, as in what's different about the experience if you have a lightweight bag?

Hello! I hope you don't mind me asking this here. I was considering taking a small bag instead of a belly bag/pouch this year. But, from what I understand, there's a separate line for bag holders and you have to check your bag on the rides? Or what? Lol, as in what's different about the experience if you have a lightweight bag?

You don't have to check your bag for the rides. They have pouches a small bag would fit in, or you can hang onto your bag.

There are multiple bag check lines before you get into the parks. It doesn't matter what size the bag is, if you have a bag, you have to go through one of the bag check lines. The bag gets placed on a table (it looks sort of like a buffet table) and they check all of the pockets. So it does help to speed things up if you have all of the compartments unzipped and opened.

Hmmmm, I read through this thread and I can see how it would benefit someone to go bagless. My hubby is usually the pack mule and he hates it. My question is, how do you store autograph books? Both my girls still want to bring autograph books, and those would always go into the backpack. And I can't imagine going without our water bottles.

We go bagless and have since DD was 5.

My kids carry their own autograph books. Last time we went DS11 and DD5 (at the time) carried their own autograph books or I would hold it once in a while but they are pretty good about carrying their own stuff.

I just get tap water from the CS places. I'll actually buy water too.

We go at the end of August and take a midday break. So we can go 4-5 hours without a bag.

I am continuing my family traditional of the maternal unit carrying the Bag of Pain. (Mom, I don't know how you did it.) But this time around I made sure the Bag of Pain was gender neutral so that my husband had a turn!

I wish they had a bag less entry in DL. You have to go through that security line regardless.

Going bagless is something that would never cross my mind... and it never occurred to me that I should want to! I use the stuff in my bag. That's why I put it there. Personally, I'd rather carry a bag than have a bunch of stuff shoved in my pockets and bungie clipped to my belt loop. Sounds incredibly uncomfortable!

Let alone looking unbelievably dorky!:lmao:

I don't have a problem carrying a small backpack, and I do mean small. It is meant for a very small child but it's black!, tres cool! It's big enough to carry alternate glasses, meds, camera, wipes, sunscreen wipes, band-aids, benedryl (I have been an angel of mercy on more than one occasion) and I can carry it both back and front for going on rides. DH has a Hedgren cross body that he absolutely loves which carries money, cards, iphone, (passports, but not to the park). Both are water repellant, light and indestructible.

The bag check is a minor inconvenience which I appreciate. God only knows what some people may be taking into the parks. And I also get the giggles seeing people decked out with their lanyards and belts with all sorts of stuff hanging off it.;) Kind of like those vests photo journalists used to wear for extra camera rolls but now are full of other "stuff".

And I also get the giggles seeing people decked out with their lanyards and belts with all sorts of stuff hanging off it.;) Kind of like those vests photo journalists used to wear for extra camera rolls but now are full of other "stuff".

:laughing: There is a garden/work vest for women from Duluth Trading that has all kinds of pockets and looks like the photo vests!

I thought about getting one of those garden vests for my next trip to WDW! But, I'll probably stick with my cargo pants/shorts.

I'm in the bagless is best group. I don't have small children or need a lot of stuff. I can see where, for some, a bag is preferred.

I'm 57 and go with my son and my two grandsons (now 14 and 18). We all wear cargo pants/shorts. I'm not there for a fashion show, I'm there to have fun and be as comfortable as possible while having said fun. :woohoo:
I've never had a problem finding women's cargo pants/shorts at local stores. Maybe because I'm in Colorado and they're common clothing for hiking.

The cargo shorts usually have 6 pockets. I make sure that I buy those with pockets fastened by zipper, buttons, or velcro. Nothing falls out. I put cash, ID, cr. cards in one pocket, a small Altoids tin with the meds I will need for the day, a couple of Tylenol, and a couple of benedryl in another pocket. A few bandaids and a small pack of Kleenex in another. Sunglasses in another and phone in another. If it looks like rain, a thin, cheap poncho in the sixth pocket.

My son and the kids carry what they need in their own pockets.

Everything is pretty flat and thin. My pockets don't bulge out or are at all uncomfortable. I have MS and I'm pretty shaky getting on rides, so it's a big plus not to have a bag or purse falling off my shoulders or getting in the way.

We go bagless and have since DD was 5.

My kids carry their own autograph books. Last time we went DS11 and DD5 (at the time) carried their own autograph books or I would hold it once in a while but they are pretty good about carrying their own stuff.

I just get tap water from the CS places. I'll actually buy water too.

We go at the end of August and take a midday break. So we can go 4-5 hours without a bag.

Thank you for your answer! :goodvibes

OK, so I am thinking about going bagless the next trip. This thread has been such an inspiration. :laughing: The only problem is that I wear glasses, and often switch between regular glasses (indoors) and prescription sunglasses. I thought I could walk in with my glasses, and my prescription sunglasses on the top of my head, but in rides (such as Space Mountain), I have to take both off and I usually store them in my small purse. WHat do others that go bagless do about sunglasses? I'm a girl and no way that I can carry my big prescription sunglasses in my pocket, along with my phone, wallet and regular glasses.

This is one of the main reasons I wear Transitions lenses - only one set of glasses to deal with. I have used a strap in the past to keep them on and not had any issues, but I also don't go on too many thrill rides. I have done TT and BTMRR though.

Better yet, just buy the Disney poncho when and if you need it. For about $7-ish or so a piece, they are cheap enough to be disposable and you don't need to carry it around until you decide you need it.

We just use our iPhones. We are not big photo people so we wouldn't dream of lugging around a camera but if we wanted to be guaranteed nice cameras, we'd do PP.

Well, right there's another reason people might not go bagless. Not everyone can afford to throw away $7.00 ponchos, or have the money for iPhones and Photopass.

Like a lot of people, I have to save up for my trips.

ttintagel said:
Well, right there's another reason people might not go bagless. Not everyone can afford to throw away $7.00 ponchos, or have the money for iPhones and Photopass.

Like a lot of people, I have to save up for my trips.

Agreed! I don't care if I have to save up or not, a $7 poncho is not a disposable poncho! I'd love to try going bagless but I know I'll probably end up spending too much money in the park on the things I would have brought in the bag :scared1:

Agreed! I don't care if I have to save up or not, a $7 poncho is not a disposable poncho! I'd love to try going bagless but I know I'll probably end up spending too much money in the park on the things I would have brought in the bag :scared1:

I got $1 ponchos at the dollar store.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter