If Covid was still about but there were no restrictions , how would you live your life?

I would wear a mask when cases were climbing, or when around large groups of people...and still diligently use hand sanitizer or wipes when I couldn’t wash my hands. Pretty much use common sense.

I live in a state with very few restrictions. I can currently teach school in person, eat in restaurants, go to bars, get a haircut, a tattoo, whatever. A mask mandate for those over 10 and reduced capacity at some places is it as far as restrictions. Plus there’s zero enforcement so not even those unless places voluntarily comply.

I, however, do not eat in restaurants, have not been inside a bar, and have not been to church since March. I basically go to work masked and stay home. I only do grocery pick up. so I can say for sure that I would be very cautious- masking, avoiding indoor gatherings, etc.

Truthfully, I am not even fully aware of what the current restrictions in my state are because my behavior has not changed much since March. I’ll adjust the way I live when the virus seems under control not just when any restrictions are lifted so it wouldn’t matter to me if all the restrictions were lifted tomorrow. Our restrictions have ebbed and flowed here throughout the year and not much has changed for me.

I'm pretty content with things the way they are. We always mask, and it's pretty much required out in public. Restaurants and bars w/food licenses are open, but tables are 10'+ away from each other and capacities are limited. We go to the taproom for a beer occasionally, but I bet there are never more than 8-10 people there, spaced out appropriately. Same in the restaurants in our town. They are small places, so there are never many people in one room. Also everyone wears masks even when seated, unless they are putting food/beverage in their mouths, as well as up walking around. I shop about once a week, as does DD, so we call each other before going out to see if anything is needed, so we don't each have to go shopping more than once a week. We have also traveled twice, once in July and once in November. In July the airport was completely deserted, and in Nov (before the holiday) there were people, but I think there are more folks at the grocery store. We are cautious about wiping down surfaces in the airport, plane, and hotels, and don't let anyone into our space. The only people who've been in our home are DD, her fiancee, and his 4 year old, and nobody is hugging as the 4 year old is in preschool and is probably our biggest risk factor. So far, it's been OK, and we intend to keep living this way for the foreseeable future.

If I could I'd probably go back to the pandemic bubble model where my parents would be in my bubble. That's about all I'll do differently that isn't recommended under my state/county recommendations. As it stands they've always been like "You're worried about getting sick from us?" even before this.

But if there were no restrictions, I might be worried about going out in public. The current situation is that masks are required, but occasionally I'll see people (including workers) not covering their noses. While there are signs (and floor markings) saying that people should try to keep 6 ft apart, it gets difficult. I'll see some just standing in the middle of an aisle just staring at an item in contemplation. And of course it's impossible to get anywhere while absolutely following the spacing recommendations.

If there were no restrictions, I would start worrying about going out where people might just pack into spaces without worrying about how it might affect others as well as not wearing masks. I might just start ordering groceries rather than going out.

I will say that I used to think that the obsession with wearing medical style masks was rather silly. They used to be fairly common in parts of Asia where there might be worries about H1N1, avian flu, or other transmissible viral diseases. I'd see a lot of people even in the US of Asian ancestry who were wearing these when they out on the street. But masks were pretty common during the so-called Spanish flu pandemic of the early 20th Century.

If Covid is like it is now, I am taking every precaution as I can! I don't need any restrictions to guide me at all.

I would still be wearing a mask everywhere, whether or not I "had" to.

Indoor dining is open here, and you couldn't pay me to eat indoors.

Malls and stores are open, but I havent entered a mall since this started and limit my time in stores. If I can purchase what I need on line, I do.

Our airport is open with lots of daily flights, but I wouldn't consider getting on a plane.

We don't have any type of "lock down" here, but I definitely limit my activities.

I "think" we might have a guideline here about limiting indoor gatherings to 10-15, although I am not positive, perhaps there is no guideline at all? At any rate, we don't have anyone in or do we go to anyone elses house. This included Christmas as well. We had a quiet day at home.

Honestly, I don't need any official restrictions to guide me, as a family we have already made the decisions for ourselves before any restrictions come down. Stay home, mask up, wash hands/sanitize. limit shopping, visit with friends outside and 6-feet apart.

I don't think I'd change much. The only things still closed in my state are indoor dining and some entertainment venues, and those are places I don't think I'd be very comfortable in at the moment anyway. We are still traveling, still camping and going to hotels, still shopping and getting take out, still dining at the restaurants creative enough to have come up with winter-friendly outdoor seating. I might do a bit of indoor dining if it were open, at off times and in places where I know I'll have the place pretty much to myself (like the Chinese place DD12 and I like to go for an afterschool snack/early dinner sometimes - we're usually the only party there at 3-4pm when her school day ends).

The only caveat to that is that if lifting the mask mandate we have, toothless as it is, drastically reduced mask wearing, I'd probably shift to be more cautious than we are now. It is one thing to deal with so-so compliance among customers but with confidence that employees I may interact with directly are masked, but it would be quite another if that changed to all/most people being unmasked in all/most settings.

I think we're going to see masks during cold/flu season post-Covid for sure.

Yeah, I'm probably gonna wear a surgical mask yearly in the worst of the flu season (Dec/Jan when the lack of sun puts my vitamin D level at its lowest)...even with a flu shot, I'll need to be a little more careful, and it seems the cleaning and masks are helping to almost eradicate flu, so I'll take the extra protection from that...

PS - I should probably answer the "now" question, but this is my "forever" answer even after Covid:)...as for now, I'd just do what I'd be doing - spacing myself, masking inside, keeping myself away from anyone making any sick sounds, staying home when I'm off, etc...

I think we're going to see masks during cold/flu season post-Covid for sure.

I hope they remain socially acceptable in the winter for a good long time. Not just for the virus-reduction benefits (though the non-existent flu season is nice) but also because they're just comfortable in very cold air. I live in one of those places where the air hurts to breathe on the coldest mornings and I have been pleasantly surprised by how much the mask helps with that without getting in your mouth/nose the way a scarf goes.

These days, because we have decent policies and fairly good public compliance, we've been taking baby steps back into the world. I haven't really be been restricting store trips or restaurant pickups (masked, distanced, and sanitized), we've had a few restaurant meals at distanced outdoor patios, we've had a few 1 on 1 social meetings, and we've taken a couple road trips.

All of that would have to stop and it would be back into full lockdown mode. :(

I hope they remain socially acceptable in the winter for a good long time. Not just for the virus-reduction benefits (though the non-existent flu season is nice) but also because they're just comfortable in very cold air. I live in one of those places where the air hurts to breathe on the coldest mornings and I have been pleasantly surprised by how much the mask helps with that without getting in your mouth/nose the way a scarf goes.

I've noticed the same thing here in NJ. And I have found myself leaving the mask on when I'm not near any people, because it keeps my face warm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter