If Switzerland became an EPCOT World Showcase pavilion, what would you want in it?

Hard. Unless you're EU or don't need a job and can prove that you can finance yourself.

Swiss Residence Program through lump sum taxation​

This program requires one to pay CHF 200,000 (about USD 203,000) as lump sum tax to the Swiss canton they reside in. This amount could rise to CHF 600,000 annually, depending on the canton. Under this Swiss lump sum taxation program, you are not allowed to work.

Swiss Business Investor Program​

This program is slightly more popular as a route to the Swiss passport. The visa holder must form a new Swiss company to create job opportunities or invest in an existing Swiss company, with a minimum of CHF 1 million annually.
https://www.ivisa.com/switzerland/b...ugh lump sum taxation,are not allowed to work.

Or you can reside for 10 yrs plus have ample finances or marry a Swiss citizen, live there for a few years, and again, have ample finances. Illegal immigrants who cannot support themselves need not apply.

Definitely:
  • a guy yodeling
  • oompah music
  • goats
  • cows with those gigantic cowbells around their necks
  • something involving chocolate
  • Swiss army knives
  • people playing those big long horns like on the Ricola commercials :-)
I think I would laugh my *** off if I saw some rando CM in a Tyrolean hat wandering around WS yodelling. And yes, I know Tyrol is in Austria, but Americans don't know jack about geography so it won't make a difference.

I think I would laugh my *** off if I saw some rando CM in a Tyrolean hat wandering around WS yodelling. And yes, I know Tyrol is in Austria, but Americans don't know jack about geography so it won't make a difference.
Most Americans know world geography. @Lord Manhammer , some of your American stereotypes are very wrong and outdated. Most Americans could name more European countries than Europeans knowing as many American states.

A Weinstube serving Fondue and Raclette. A store selling cheeses, watches, Swiss army knives and other Swiss items. A chocolate shop. Daily Swiss music performance with Alphorns.
Schauffhausen and TWC watch pavilions would be especially nice.
I ALWAYS enjoy raclette, slurpy yum yum. Nothing wrong with rosti either.

Most Americans know world geography. @Lord Manhammer , some of your American stereotypes are very wrong and outdated. Most Americans could name more European countries than Europeans knowing as many American states.
You're a cool dude @Buzz Rules, but on this, you're dead wrong. My stereotypes are not that but observations living here and abroad. Plus why the focus only on Europe? I know Mexican nationals, Thai nationals, Indian nationals who know a ton about the US. Our European friends are miles ahead of us in this department.

But hey, don't take my word for it:

"According to the Nation’s Report Card, the largest continuing and nationally representative assessment of academic performance in the U.S., only 25 percent of American students in the eighth grade scored “at or above NAEP (National Assessment of Educational Progress) proficient” in geography." (from the Mass. Daily Collegian)

And if you think "most" Americans go ahead and learn geography on their own post 8th grade? Yeah, right.

So your assertion that most Americans know geography is a pipe dream and maybe based on some American exceptionalism. We're pretty bad at it overall. And while sure, many Americans could name, oh I don't know, Italy (cause it looks like a boot), trying to explain other countries and their complexity within the world doesn't seem to be taught well. (e.g. How have your conversations on the location of Gaza or the West Bank been going?)

But your comment makes me wonder, if you or I were to walk through World Showcase and ask the average American guest there, "now that you've been to the France pavilion, what is the likelihood that you'll actually travel there? Or is this simulacrum enough?"

"According to the Nation’s Report Card, the largest continuing and nationally representative assessment of academic performance in the U.S., only 25 percent of American students in the eighth grade scored “at or above NAEP (National Assessment of Educational Progress) proficient” in geography." (from the Mass. Daily Collegian)

And if you think "most" Americans go ahead and learn geography on their own post 8th grade? Yeah, right.
There was that National Geographic Survey from 2002 where 11% of the Americans surveyed couldn't even find the US on a map. Yeah...most Americans grasp of geography sadly isn't really that great

You're a cool dude @Buzz Rules, but on this, you're dead wrong. My stereotypes are not that but observations living here and abroad. Plus why the focus only on Europe? I know Mexican nationals, Thai nationals, Indian nationals who know a ton about the US. Our European friends are miles ahead of us in this department.

So your assertion that most Americans know geography is a pipe dream and maybe based on some American exceptionalism. We're pretty bad at it overall. And while sure, many Americans could name, oh I don't know, Italy (cause it looks like a boot), trying to explain other countries and their complexity within the world doesn't seem to be taught well. (e.g. How have your conversations on the location of Gaza or the West Bank been going?)

But your comment makes me wonder, if you or I were to walk through World Showcase and ask the average American guest there, "now that you've been to the France pavilion, what is the likelihood that you'll actually travel there? Or is this simulacrum enough?"
1. I compare us to Europeans because they are the ones that come up with the anti American stereotypes.

2. I should have clarified. I should have stated those who have attend college or attended high school in one of the states that require state examinations. (NY, FL, CA for example). I would love to know the stats from those states. I know education quality in the country can greatly vary for a number of reasons. It wasn't American exceptionalism driving my opinion but the various groups people I grew up with in school and work. Sure, you always has a couple kids who didn't apply themselves in school. But 90% of everyone in my classes definitely could pick out a specific country if asked. So my bias was based on that not some version of nationalism.

3. I know about the Gaza/West Bank/Israel situation very well.

4. People who have the means to travel, tend to know more about the world but I bet they had great history teachers that taught them geography (whether they listened or not is another matter).

5. I would think as technology increases more Americans will be better at geography than the previous generation.

6. Most Americans cannot afford to travel abroad (especially now). Also many Americans don't feel the need to since we have many tourism opportunities here and stay-cations are cheaper (and sometimes safer).

6. American exceptionalism isn't always a bad thing. It's when is goes from patriotism to nationalism, do things go off the deep end.

There was that National Geographic Survey from 2002 where 11% of the Americans surveyed couldn't even find the US on a map. Yeah...most Americans grasp of geography sadly isn't really that great
Ah @seshat0120 , it's always nice to see you enter the thread I make on specific topics. That isn't a dig at you, just that you seem to only pop up on my threads once and awhile when specific posts happen. I'm glad for the information you provided in your post however. Do you have any thoughts on a Swiss pavilion?

Speaking as a Swiss, the one thing no one has mentioned that would be an absolute requirement for an authentic Swiss pavilion is a bank… preferably several. Just sayin’!
I didn't know you were Swiss. That's cool. Forgive me, I thought you were American because your avatar bio said you were from NJ. Maybe it's time to start an American/Swiss culture thread (since I have like 5 or so other ones). Hmmm...🤔, brb. 🤣

I didn't know you were Swiss. That's cool. Forgive me, I thought you were American because your avatar bio said you were from NJ. Maybe it's time to start an American/Swiss culture thread (since I have like 5 or so other ones). Hmmm...🤔, brb. 🤣

Yup. But I am American married a Swiss… decades ago before there was a residency requirement for full citizenship. A woman marrying a Swiss male automatically got citizenship… Swiss female marrying a non-Swiss lost citizenship… gotta love the Swiss lol I’m sure that’s changed but it was a sore spot with DH’s aunt who married an American… not uncommon after WW2.

We’ve been divorced many years and most of his family has passed on but I have wonderful memories of life in Switzerland.

Last edited:
1. I compare us to Europeans because they are the ones that come up with the anti American stereotypes.

2. I should have clarified. I should have stated those who have attend college or attended high school in one of the states that require state examinations. (NY, FL, CA for example). I would love to know the stats from those states. I know education quality in the country can greatly vary for a number of reasons. It wasn't American exceptionalism driving my opinion but the various groups people I grew up with in school and work. Sure, you always has a couple kids who didn't apply themselves in school. But 90% of everyone in my classes definitely could pick out a specific country if asked. So my bias was based on that not some version of nationalism.

3. I know about the Gaza/West Bank/Israel situation very well.

4. People who have the means to travel, tend to know more about the world but I bet they had great history teachers that taught them geography (whether they listened or not is another matter).

5. I would think as technology increases more Americans will be better at geography than the previous generation.

6. Most Americans cannot afford to travel abroad (especially now). Also many Americans don't feel the need to since we have many tourism opportunities here and stay-cations are cheaper (and sometimes safer).

6. American exceptionalism isn't always a bad thing. It's when is goes from patriotism to nationalism, do things go off the deep end.

Ah @seshat0120 , it's always nice to see you enter the thread I make on specific topics. That isn't a dig at you, just that you seem to only pop up on my threads once and awhile when specific posts happen. I'm glad for the information you provided in your post however. Do you have any thoughts on a Swiss pavilion?
Wow. You numbered your responses. How erudite.

You make some good points and others that I disagree with. But I don’t want to derail this thread off of Switzerland anymore. So I’ll just say Unus pro Omnibus, Omnes pro Uno.

And yes I had amazing history teachers and have been travelling internationally since I was 2.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter