If you could only fly out the morning of the cruise...

I've done it once with no problems (and no trip insurance, which was probably dumb since we cruised in September), and it worked out just fine. I think if I would do it again, I'd get insurance *just in case*.

I dont see the downside if you have trip insurance (which should be reasonable for this length trip-on third party sites we’ve gotten it for around $150). If for some reason you didn’t make it all you’re out is a missed good time and the cost of the insurance.

I've flown out a few times the day of my Disney cruise a few times but I made sure that I took the first flight out and that they where multiple flights after mine just in case there was some type of mechanical problem or flight cancellation. Second, I took a direct flight and finally I only had carry-on bag so I didn't have to worry about lost luggage.

Ok, then. Take travel insurance and/or prepare a plan B in case your flight is late and you miss the cruiseship.

I could be wrong but I think certain insurances permits you to catch the ship at the next port if you miss departure.

Go have the breakfast buffet at the Hyatt at MCO and then make your way down to the buses. The breakfast buffet is the best. We did not go there on our first stay before the cruise and were surprised at how nice it was. Just relax have a nice breakfast and off to the buses at 9:00am or so and you are on your way,

You use the term "direct flight" in airline speak, that is different from "non-stop flight". (Direct flight the aircraft does go from point A to point B but may stop somewhere in between; so if you get on in A, you won't miss flight to B; non-stop is as expected - goes from point A to point B without stopping.) You indicated you are coming from NC and getting in that early, it would seem it is a non-stop flight, not a direct flight. That could be very important difference (but typically more important to someone coming further away where there may be direct but not non-stop flights).

Yes. It is a nonstop flight.

Thanks for the thoughts on having a back-up plan with potential flights listed. There are definitely numerous other later flights that would be options if something were to happen.

NOPE....Too much stress for a vacation. I would go at another time.

It definitely is an added stress. But, considering I won't have the stress of having three kids with me (and all their stuff) it seems like a stress I may be able to handle :laughing:

Look at it this way, if you Don't do it, you will definitely miss out on the Anniversary cruise. If you do it, you will MOST LIKELY get to go on the cruise.

As long as you can afford the insurance and the trip, I would definitely do it. Very high chance of success.

Very good way to look at it!

If you really have no another choice ( coming in night before) and you want to go, then you have to risk it. Many arrive the day of and have no issues. I personally would be so exhausted as I assume you have some red eye if you land at 7am.

It will be a very early morning with a flight that leaves at 5AM but traveling without the kids might allow for a nap once onboard ?! Now, when was the last time we've had the chance for one of those! lol!:scratchin

Yes, we have done it before and will probably do it again. The only downfall I find for us is that the first day we are all exhausted from getting up so early. Sometimes with schedules it is unavoidable though so it is either fly in the day of or don’t go. We usually pick fly in day of :)
Good luck with your decision and happy anniversary!

Thank you!:goodvibes I'm my own worst enemy when it comes to making decisions like this. For a family vacation I have no trouble making things work, but this would be the first trip my dh and I have ever taken without kids so I'm feeling so conflicted!

NOPE....Too much stress for a vacation. I would go at another time.
I wouldn't because I'd be too nervous...but lots of people arrive on embarkation day.

We spoke to a couple a few years ago who flew in the morning of and arrived at the port just in time and they said they would do it again. I can understand that sometimes people don't have a choice.

Appreciate the honesty. It definitely is not our first choice. There seem to be plenty of planes scheduled to get to MCO that morning, it is stormy (thunder/lightning) weather that I guess would be the big concern.

I would do it.

We will be doing the same for our next cruise. It isn't ideal, but we really don't have any other option (we have very limited flights where we are at). We do have travel insurance and we do know what our other flight options are and do have an idea of what we can do if the worst happens and we miss the cruise altogether. In a perfect world I would always fly in at least one, if not 2 or more days in advance, as well as stay a day or two post cruise but life isn't perfect so we make the best of things. If we waited until everything was perfect in our lives to take a vacation we probably would never get a chance to travel with our schedules.

I could be wrong but I think certain insurances permits you to catch the ship at the next port if you miss departure.
The insurance won't have anything to do with it.

DCL, for the most part, does not allow "catching up to the ship" on their itineraries (especially in the Caribbean). Yes, there have been exceptions, but not for just missing the ship.

But insurance could cover missing the whole trip, if you get that coverage.

I've done it but it is a really really bad idea. It's not just stormy weather. Many myriad things can happen that could delay a flight. Mechanical issues, crew shortage, etc. It's good that your flight is that early.

If you must, get trip insurance.

Last edited:
Even if you buy the airfare through Disney, if the plane is delayed long enough the ship is going to leave without you. Trip insurance for sure.

The insurance won't have anything to do with it.

DCL, for the most part, does not allow "catching up to the ship" on their itineraries (especially in the Caribbean). Yes, there have been exceptions, but not for just missing the ship.

But insurance could cover missing the whole trip, if you get that coverage.

For a 4-day double-dip at Castaway Cay, is there even an airport where late passengers could catch up?

Would you chance it?!!

We're still debating a last minute anniversary cruise for just my husband and I but the only way we can make the timing work would be to fly into MCO the morning of the cruise. There is a direct flight that is scheduled to land at 7AM so we'd aim for that one. This, of course, is not my first choice, as being down there the night before would obviously be preferable. There are multiple other flights that are schedule for throughout the day so we'd have a little wiggle room if for some reason that first flight of the morning didn't happen.

Would love to hear your thoughts!

Thanks,
Kelly
I've done it twice with no issues. Always an early morning nonstop flight. Texas winters are mild, so no worries about flying in winter directly from Texas to Florida.

Even if you buy the airfare through Disney, if the plane is delayed long enough the ship is going to leave without you. Trip insurance for sure.

Fyi, in December 2016, our Fantasy cruise left Port Canaveral a few hours late (yes hours, plural) because the ship was waiting on people flying in late due to winter storm in the northeast (the captain announced that). Don't know if they booked air via DCL or not, but it's reassuring that they can wait for hours in some itineraries at least.

Last edited:
For a 4-day double-dip at Castaway Cay, is there even an airport where late passengers could catch up?
I'd say "no". Unless they want to try flying to Nassau, and hiring a private boat to take them there. But, I don't know that they would be allowed to get off at Castaway Cay.... And I'm not sure I'd want to do a small boat across the sea from Nassau to CC.

Go have the breakfast buffet at the Hyatt at MCO and then make your way down to the buses. The breakfast buffet is the best. We did not go there on our first stay before the cruise and were surprised at how nice it was. Just relax have a nice breakfast and off to the buses at 9:00am or so and you are on your way,
How much is the breakfast buffet at the Hyatt MCO

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter