If you could only fly out the morning of the cruise...

We're still debating a last minute anniversary cruise for just my husband and I but the only way we can make the timing work would be to fly into MCO the morning of the cruise. There is a direct flight that is scheduled to land at 7AM so we'd aim for that one.
If that's the only way you can do it, they by all means go for it! We always prefer to fly in the day before but many, many people fly in the day of and have no problem. Non-stop flights are better than direct flights since there's less chance of delay at the intermediate stop. But whatever works is better than not cruising at all. :sail:

The insurance won't have anything to do with it.

DCL, for the most part, does not allow "catching up to the ship" on their itineraries (especially in the Caribbean). Yes, there have been exceptions, but not for just missing the ship.

But insurance could cover missing the whole trip, if you get that coverage.

I received the opposite information coming from a DCL CM and the travel insurance I booked through DCL in 2015 but maybe it has changed since.

i'd chance it. espec if there were other stand by flights that morning. id get travel insc JIC to insure my financial part of the trip in case you miss the ship

It will be a very early morning with a flight that leaves at 5AM but traveling without the kids might allow for a nap once onboard ?! Now, when was the last time we've had the chance for one of those! lol!:scratchin

Thank you!:goodvibes I'm my own worst enemy when it comes to making decisions like this. For a family vacation I have no trouble making things work, but this would be the first trip my dh and I have ever taken without kids so I'm feeling so conflicted!

I didn't even think about the CHILDLESS aspects of your trip.

Now I'm even MORE in favor of it!!!

I've done cruises with and without my kids, and let me tell you, it is COMPLETELY different. Both are good, don't get me wrong, but concerns like "maybe I'll be tired the first day" are MUCH less of an issue without the kids. First of all, sleep is MUCH easier, not just on the plane, but each night as well. And if you are tired on that first day, no problem. Find a nice deck lounger, maybe with some shade and a view of the ocean, and you and your husband can lie there and enjoy the view and breeze as long as you like. Nap, read, talk to each other, whatever. Being tired doesn't prevent a wonderful day like that, and before too long, you'll be rested again and ready to be active on the rest of the trip if that is what you want.

Also, when kids are cranky, it can be hard to sooth them and a lot of work for the parents. When two adults are cranky, a trip to the bar, or a nap, or even some time alone can go a long way to handling those stressed out feelings.

Oh, and it will be a great opportunity for your kids as well. Remember, someday they are going to have to spend lots of days without their parents there, so it would be good for them to start getting a little practice in.

Your call, of course. Enjoy!

Last edited:
We did this back in 2011 on our 1st cruise. We flew out of Charlotte on a non-stop flight; the morning of the cruise and arrived in Orlando. Went right from the airport onto a Disney Bus that took us to the port. We didn't have any issues and made it to the port in plenty of time. We had more delays/issues with the flight back then we did with the flight going. Would I do it again; yes if I could not fly in the day before but I would make sure I had trip insurance. It would also matter on the time of year.

Psy

I would do it...but i would also buy my flights through DCL as they are willing to accommodate irrops better than if you book yourself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter