If you could pick one dessert place...

acarsme123

DIS Veteran
For our departure day we are ending with a lunch at The Boathouse. We have never eaten there before, and I'm not sure if we should partake in the desserts there or not....but regardless I would like to take home some yummy desserts to be able to eat at the hotel later on that night (we drive, and split our drive into two days). Having tried neither place, what would you pick if you could only do one....Gideon's....or Amorrette's? I'm not keen on having to put my name into a waiting list for Gideon's at Disney Springs, so if we picked Gideons I was thinking about driving to their main location before hitting the highway to head home. Just not sure if I want to take that extra time to do that. But if Gideon's is hands down better than Amorrettes then that's what I'd do.

Both places look incredible so I'm looking for opinions on which one reigns supreme. If I can do both, that would be ideal...but I don't want to spend too much time before having to hit the highway. I don't particularly enjoy driving at night if I can help it. Thanks.

We will also be trying the Boat House for our first time this May (anniversary meal.) And we plan to hopefully get on Gideon's waitlist beforehand to hopefully make it easy to grab treats to bring with us after (trying them for first time too.) However, it is more for the novelty of trying it than anything. I am sure it will be delish, but I definitely wouldn't want it to add more stress to the day for it. No way would I make that extra drive to the other location on a travel day. Why would you not put your name on the list before your meal? And if it doesn't work out, no problem, you can skip it and do the pastry shop?

I HAVE to add that Ghiradelli's has our absolute favorite sundaes in the world. It is a must do for us every trip. So if you like hot fudge, maybe that can be dessert on the day, and take home the others! That is probably not helpful.

I hope you enjoy the Boathouse and whatever dessert you choose. When are you going?

Amorette's. However, it may be items that need refigerated and won't travel well depending on your choices. If you have the ability might plan on taking the time to just eat your desserts there.

Gideons personally, but i'm a cookie guy. What day of the week is your departure day? If it's a weekday, there is a good chance you won't have to enter the virtual queue for Gideon's and you can just line up. Definitely check it out before you eat at Boathouse (they are so close), and get the lay of the land. If there is already a virtual queue, put your name down. Once you get the text that you are up, you have plenty of time to return. So wouldn't be a rush.

My wife and I think Ghirardelli is a little overrated. I mean, it’s good, but it doesn’t blow me away. And I believe they used to have a peanut butter sundae but they don’t it on the menu anymore so I don’t really have a reason to go there.

We will also be trying the Boat House for our first time this May (anniversary meal.) And we plan to hopefully get on Gideon's waitlist beforehand to hopefully make it easy to grab treats to bring with us after (trying them for first time too.) However, it is more for the novelty of trying it than anything. I am sure it will be delish, but I definitely wouldn't want it to add more stress to the day for it. No way would I make that extra drive to the other location on a travel day. Why would you not put your name on the list before your meal? And if it doesn't work out, no problem, you can skip it and do the pastry shop?

I HAVE to add that Ghiradelli's has our absolute favorite sundaes in the world. It is a must do for us every trip. So if you like hot fudge, maybe that can be dessert on the day, and take home the others! That is probably not helpful.

I hope you enjoy the Boathouse and whatever dessert you choose. When are you going?

Gideons personally, but i'm a cookie guy. What day of the week is your departure day? If it's a weekday, there is a good chance you won't have to enter the virtual queue for Gideon's and you can just line up. Definitely check it out before you eat at Boathouse (they are so close), and get the lay of the land. If there is already a virtual queue, put your name down. Once you get the text that you are up, you have plenty of time to return. So wouldn't be a rush.
Our departure day is next Saturday. Our Boathouse reservation is 2pm. If you get on the virtual cue, do you have a certain amount of time to return before they drop your name out of the list?

Amorette’s has been a favorite of ours for years. The special 50th anniversary cake they have currently is FANTASTIC!!! You can get cookies anywhere lol…

Our departure day is next Saturday. Our Boathouse reservation is 2pm. If you get on the virtual cue, do you have a certain amount of time to return before they drop your name out of the list?

Okay, so definitely get in the virtual queue before you get to boathouse. Within reason, no. They will tell you a # to text back that you are on your way. Back in November, we were told the virtual queue was 5 hours. So we went back to our resort at POR for a few hours. Got the text after 3.5 hours that it was our spot. By the time we got out of our room, back on the boat, and arrived back at Gideons, it was probably 45-60 minutes later. No issues.

I really like gideons. If you give your name when you first arrive and then go eat there’s a good chance you wouldn’t have to linger long to get the return text. If you’d prefer driving to their other location you can order cookies in advance (has to be done 72 hours at a minimum before) and then can guarantee what cookies you wanted.

Did you consider Sprinkles? Their "to go" boxes are well-constructed and we've never had a cupcake tip over. Just wish they'd bring back the coconut cupcake...

Is the walk up window at Homecomin’ still there? You could get the fabulous hummingbird cake.

Earl of Sandwich has huge slices of fabulous cake from “Carlos’ Bake Shop” that we love to take home and they travel very well. They have red velvet, rainbow cake, and chocolate fudge. Delicious!

Gideon's cookies will travel well. We stored ours in our car (parked in the parking garage) while we walked around Disney Springs. We even went to SSR and PO, and they were fine hours later. I'm not sure about their cake slices since we didn't try them. I agree with others to put your name in the virtual queue and then if you haven't been called after your lunch you could try somewhere else. I haven't had anything from Amorette's.

To respond to some posters concerning Ghiradelli. It has been our go-to every trip when visiting Disney Springs. This last visit was horrible. The hot fudge was cold, and we were snubbed by the server. Terrible sundae and terrible service. We decided we won't be going back. Gideon's is our new go-to.

Well, we never got to Gideon's or Amorette's. I was so tired on our departure day. I saw Amorette's had a big line to get in. That was disappointing to me. I guess I got a false sense of being able to just walk on in since all the YouTubers I see always seem to have the place to themselves. I now realize they must be going in the middle of the week, during non-peak times of the year. We did walk over to the Coke rooftop bar though. We really wanted to do the big 20 drink around the world sampler. That was kind of a mistake. Big disappointment. Thought there would be more drinks in the flight that we would enjoy but most were terrible.

To respond to some posters concerning Ghiradelli. It has been our go-to every trip when visiting Disney Springs. This last visit was horrible. The hot fudge was cold, and we were snubbed by the server. Terrible sundae and terrible service. We decided we won't be going back. Gideon's is our new go-to.

Yikes about Ghiardellis! When were you there? On my last visit, in January, they were OK, not special, just OK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter