If you stayed at the Poly recently (not DVC) how was your room?

I had similar thoughts when I stayed in a DVC room at the Poly in January. The configuration of the separate buildings, the hallways, the elevators, all just seem dated. I admit I enjoyed Trader Sam’s though.
My biggest issue is the buildings all being detached. I just don't find that luxury to have to walk outside to get to my room. I didn't make it to Trader Sam's, one day I want to go there.

I thought the point was that it is supposed to harken back to the 70s, so that feel is right on.

As far as elevators...once the shafts are built they are built. Without tearing down the buildings to rebuild, those are not getting any bigger.
I didn't know they were going for a 70's vibe? I thought it's just supposed to feel like the Polynesian. The only place that felt dated was in the out buildings. The main building and grounds don't feel like the 70s at all to me. I like visiting the hotel, but won't be staying there again. And I figure it is hard to change the elevator, but wasn't the Contemporary built at the same time? Those elevators aren't tiny.

My biggest issue is the buildings all being detached. I just don't find that luxury to have to walk outside to get to my room. I didn't make it to Trader Sam's, one day I want to go there.

I didn't know they were going for a 70's vibe? I thought it's just supposed to feel like the Polynesian. The only place that felt dated was in the out buildings. The main building and grounds don't feel like the 70s at all to me. I like visiting the hotel, but won't be staying there again. And I figure it is hard to change the elevator, but wasn't the Contemporary built at the same time? Those elevators aren't tiny.

As for the vibe, that is what I have heard - yes, Polynesian, but in the 70s tiki-torch vibe kind of way. If they were truly trying to recreate Polynesia, most would be hut-like structures that are largely open to the elements.

Those elevators were built for larger buildings rather than 2-3 floor buildings. Number of floors, number of rooms, etc. are some of the things taken into account when making the plans. Elevators for multi-story buildings will generally be larger or more numerous than elevators for 2 or 3 floor buildings where I'm sure the assumption is more people will take the stairs.

I will say, if you think those are tiny, don't go to Europe - or stay in chain hotels (Hilton, Hyatt, etc.) if you do!! Many of the hotels I've stayed in (I don't do chains in Europe, so they are smaller hotels) a) have reception up a flight or two of stairs and there may or may not be an elevator to that and b) the elevators to the room floors are super tiny.

I also see a disconnect between some of the biggest rooms on property and the smallest elevators on property. I was in a DVC unit building. Room/bathroom roomy, hallways wide, elevator small dark and at the very least needing a serious deep cleaning. Seen better maintained elevator in my favorite very small European style boutique hotel in Manhattan built in the 1920’s

As for the vibe, that is what I have heard - yes, Polynesian, but in the 70s tiki-torch vibe kind of way. If they were truly trying to recreate Polynesia, most would be hut-like structures that are largely open to the elements.

Those elevators were built for larger buildings rather than 2-3 floor buildings. Number of floors, number of rooms, etc. are some of the things taken into account when making the plans. Elevators for multi-story buildings will generally be larger or more numerous than elevators for 2 or 3 floor buildings where I'm sure the assumption is more people will take the stairs.

I will say, if you think those are tiny, don't go to Europe - or stay in chain hotels (Hilton, Hyatt, etc.) if you do!! Many of the hotels I've stayed in (I don't do chains in Europe, so they are smaller hotels) a) have reception up a flight or two of stairs and there may or may not be an elevator to that and b) the elevators to the room floors are super tiny.
I've never been to the Polynesian so this hotel is pretty much all I have to compare to it. There's no way they'd be able to have authentic open air plans with the mosquitos that live in Florida that would be a nightmare. I've been to Europe a lot and lived there for a bit. Honestly the elevator at the Polynesian was probably amongst the smallest I'd ever been in. I've never stayed in a chain hotel in Europe before, but we actually have a Hilton booked for Scotland so I'm curious to see how the elevator is going to be there now lol.

• Bay Lake Tower/Contemporary
  • Boardwalk
  • Wilderness Lodge
  • Grand Floridian
  • Animal Kingdom Lodge (I've only stayed in a savanna room)
  • Beach Club
  • Polynesian
I haven't stayed at the Yacht Club so can't really rank that one. Beach Club I'm not a big fan of, but I like that everything is in one building and the pool is pretty nice. These are just personal preferences from my stays. I love the Animal Kingdom Lodge, but it's really far from everything so I usually try to stay there on trips not focused on the parks, otherwise it would be a lot higher.

What do you love so much about BLT or Contemporary? How many people travel in your party and what type of room do you get at BLT? I am iffy on the studio's because we have 4 family members and i prefer 2 full beds.

What do you love so much about BLT or Contemporary? How many people travel in your party and what type of room do you get at BLT? I am iffy on the studio's because we have 4 family members and i prefer 2 full beds.
I've gone as a party of two and four. I've only stayed in the one or two bedroom villas at BLT, not the studio. I've heard that they are the smallest on property and with four people would definitely opt for a normal hotel room at the Contemporary over the Studio. I really love the theme park view. Watching the fireworks on the balcony away from the crowds and then being able to go right to bed after has been amazing, especially with the kids. I've also stayed in a lake view in both and the one in the Contemporary was beautiful. We watched the electrical water parade and would definitely stay there again. For BLT I didn't like our lake view. We were on the inside of the curve so had more of a view of the courtyard and building than the lake. If I was on the outside part I would like it more, but that would only be a request and not guarantee.

If you are a party of four and the two children aren't small kids, you will be very crowded in a BLT studio. It's almost the smallest DVC studio of all. Plus they used a lot of space for both the bathroom and kitchenette leaving a lot less for the living/sleeping area. With four, I'd advise at least a one bedroom at BLT. Or book a Contemporary hotel room. Those are much larger and you get real beds.

BLT studios work best for two adult or two adults and one tiny child.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter