• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

If your a nurse do you do this in front of patients?

That would bug the heck out of me and I'd say something to the medical staff about it right there in the moment.

Me too. I’m sure they never gave it a thought, however I would’ve politely asked them to stop, lower their voices, or move their conversation elsewhere. I agree with those who think it’s unprofessional, especially if it makes a patient uncomfortable.

Are we related? When I was in labor with my first, I foolishly invited my mom to be there. At first she was bored (sorry I'm not laboring faster!), so she left and visited some shrine. When she came back, I was in active labor--she wouldn't stop talking about the stupid shrine. I finally told her to can it, and she turned to my DH, and started telling HIM all about the shrine! Then she went out, bought chicken, brought it back, and ate it in my room, all the while talking about how delicious it was. At this point, I'd been in labor for 11 hours, had thrown up twice, and was incredibly nauseous from the smell of her chicken. So glad I invited you, Mom!

She wasn't invited to my subsequent births.
That would have been my mother for sure, not my 9ex0wife's mother. We knew that, thus we didn't tell her anything until our daughter had already arrived. It was emergency c-section after 3 days.

The 2nd one was scheduled c-section so in and out. This time we had a 3 year old spending time at their wonderful grandparents on my (ex)wife's side while on the phone I was told, "Well, I work so don't expect me to help...."

Were they talking to directly to you about food or were they just at the nurse's station in ear shot of you? If it were a case where the nurse was chit chatting directly to me about anything (including food) that was making me uncomfortable I would have just nicely asked them to change the subject. If they were at the nurse's station and talking so loudly that you could hear the conversation between two nurses then I would have just asked them if they could speak more quietly and say that the constant chit chat was making you anxious before your procedure. This is a case of you just needing to advocate for yourself.

Reminds of the time I was having surgery to remove a pin from a previous broken elbow. They gave me an axillary (sp?) block, so I was out most of the time. But i did sort of become aware at ne point and the doctors and nurses were talking about ordering pizza. So I chimed in asking them to save me a piece. I think I startled them.
I did that to two recovery nurses when I had my gallbladder out in the mid 90s. After the surgery and while they were waiting for me to wake up, they got to talking. At some point I was conscious enough to just jump right into their conversation! lol Luckily it was nothing bad, but it sure spooked them! lol
And, yes I know about those lost meals when in labor. With our first child, I went from supper on Thursday night to Saturday morning about 7:00 with no food! They brought me the equivalent to a soft food diet that morning (I had had an emergencey C-section) , and when I scarfed it down, they then brought me a regular meal!

This reminds me of when I had knee surgery way back when I was 17. I was starving. They told us to be at the hospital at 8am. They didn't take me until 4:30!!!!!

Everyone was eating and bringing me chocolates for "after."

Story #2:

I was so hungry when after my daughter was born and I wanted a cheeseburger more than I ever wanted any food in my life. All of my visitors went to get dinner and left me without even asking if they could bring me food. They come back, I say hey can you go get me something and they say, "oh the cafeteria just closed."

:sad2:

This morning I was the hungriest I have ever been in my life. Waiting to get my colonoscopy. In the bed the doctor said it will be a while one doctor was behind. Than my doctor had one patient ahead of me. So I’m waiting in the bed took a hour and 20 minutes for them to be ready for me. The whole time the nurses are talking about food. What they had for dinner last night. What they are having for dinner tonight. Talking about thanksgiving food. Do you nurses think about your patients when your talking about food. Many of them probably hungry or on a restricted diet. Tried to take a nap but they were too loud. In other news great job you nurses are doing especially at this time. Maybe think about your patients when you talk about food. Lol

Did you ask them for recipes?

When I was in recovery for a D&C that I had to have because my pregnancy was no longer viable, the two nurses in there were talking about how hard it was to find cute maternity clothes. I had JUST lost my pregnancy - and I was shocked that they would do that. It was 17 years ago and I remember their discussion like it was yesterday :(

When I was in recovery for a D&C that I had to have because my pregnancy was no longer viable, the two nurses in there were talking about how hard it was to find cute maternity clothes. I had JUST lost my pregnancy - and I was shocked that they would do that. It was 17 years ago and I remember their discussion like it was yesterday :(

That was Insensitive on their part

Not a nurse but my mom (who I explicitly told not to come until called) showed up out of nowhere when I was in labor with my oldest and plopped her Burger King on the foot of my bed. I hadn’t eaten in more than twenty hours. The nurse said my blood pressure shot up immediately and offered to throw her out for me. I saved her the trouble and threw her out myself.
Are we related? When I was in labor with my first, I foolishly invited my mom to be there. At first she was bored (sorry I'm not laboring faster!), so she left and visited some shrine. When she came back, I was in active labor--she wouldn't stop talking about the stupid shrine. I finally told her to can it, and she turned to my DH, and started telling HIM all about the shrine! Then she went out, bought chicken, brought it back, and ate it in my room, all the while talking about how delicious it was. At this point, I'd been in labor for 11 hours, had thrown up twice, and was incredibly nauseous from the smell of her chicken. So glad I invited you, Mom!

She wasn't invited to my subsequent births.

Let out a big sigh for both of you.

But a laugh as well, mainly because both of you painted the picture with such exquisite execution. :laughing::thumbsup2

Now that is sad. I am so very sorry. So thoughtless to be actually cruel. Wow.

I am not friendly when I am hungry. I might wait a while, but if they didn't stop, I would probably have said something.

Personal conversations while in earshot of a customer are unprofessional and shouldn't happen. Leave it for the breakroom. A comment here and there is fine, but longer conversations are not for the same space as customers.
I had it once myself when I was at the dentist. The dentist and the assistant were discussing their rosters while I was laying there with my mouth open and couldn't even object :P

When I was working on my thesis for the airline I work for. I went through 5000 passenger surveys where there were a lot of comments about flight attendants talking about their private lives, their plans for the hotel & the pool after the flight etc. while handing out drinks, or in the pantry. Many flight attendants do not realize that the thin curtain between the cabin and the pantry isn't sound proof ;-)

I am not friendly when I am hungry. I might wait a while, but if they didn't stop, I would probably have said something.

Personal conversations while in earshot of a customer are unprofessional and shouldn't happen. Leave it for the breakroom. A comment here and there is fine, but longer conversations are not for the same space as customers.
I had it once myself when I was at the dentist. The dentist and the assistant were discussing their rosters while I was laying there with my mouth open and couldn't even object :P

When I was working on my thesis for the airline I work for. I went through 5000 passenger surveys where there were a lot of comments about flight attendants talking about their private lives, their plans for the hotel & the pool after the flight etc. while handing out drinks, or in the pantry. Many flight attendants do not realize that the thin curtain between the cabin and the pantry isn't sound proof ;-)

Agree that it is so unprofessional. I was checking out at the grocery store once and my cashier was in a deep conversation the entire time with another cashier. I felt like I was intruding, especially since they were discussing someone's prison term. :oops: Yet another reason to avoid going into a store. lol.

This reminds me of when I had knee surgery way back when I was 17. I was starving. They told us to be at the hospital at 8am. They didn't take me until 4:30!!!!!
I took the day off for what we thought was my wife's final appointment before she was going to go into labor assuming in a few days. She got all dolled up because we were going to go out to eat on a very rare occasion of us being together at lunchtime. She was admitted for induction. She even said to the doctor, but we were going to go to lunch.

That was Monday at noon. She went in for c-section on Tuesday night and our daughter was born on Wednesday at 12:17 am. All she was allowed that whole time was ice chips for nearly 3 days.

:hug: My boss told me that when she'd lost her baby (nearly full-term, she was in the maternity ward recovering). A nurse who hadn't read the chart came in and asked if she wanted her to bring her baby in. Thirty years later, she's still pissed about it!

I had to laugh, OP. The same thing happened when I was waiting for my colonoscopy. They were talking about where they were going to order lunch and what they were going to order.

:hug: My boss told me that when she'd lost her baby (nearly full-term, she was in the maternity ward recovering). A nurse who hadn't read the chart came in and asked if she wanted her to bring her baby in. Thirty years later, she's still pissed about it!
When my Mom had my youngest sister, a doctor who wasn't hers came in to talk to her and my dad about birth control. He told them the horror story about a 46 year old giving birth and that they wouldn't want to be in those shoes. He hadn't read the chart. My parents were the 46 yo mom and 48 yo dad. They gave the doctor a lot of rope and then explained that they were the old parents and were very happy with their new DD. The doctor couldn't get out of the room fast enough.

When my Mom had my youngest sister, a doctor who wasn't hers came in to talk to her and my dad about birth control. He told them the horror story about a 46 year old giving birth and that they wouldn't want to be in those shoes. He hadn't read the chart. My parents were the 46 yo mom and 48 yo dad. They gave the doctor a lot of rope and then explained that they were the old parents and were very happy with their new DD. The doctor couldn't get out of the room fast enough.

I'm glad it was a happy event for your folks....but I gotta tell you, that is my NIGHTMARE!

I just had my colonoscopy this week. There were three nurses in there, all really nice. Then, one says to the others, "they're sending me somewhere else. You're getting Tammy". The other asks why, the first one said, "I don't know. After what happened this morning, you know...." And then the other one asks "So why do we get her?" Just as I was about to ask who Tammy was, and what happened, my doctor stepped between the nurses and me and starts talking to me, I'm pretty sure he was trying to distract me. An arm full of propofol later, I was in recovery.

Still wondering what was the deal with Tammy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter