Iger is back?

I've been reading back over Iger's twitter account from the last few years. His focus is totally on studios. He barely mentions the parks. Shanghai more than the others.

I don't think any of the parks changes will be rolled back.

D'Amaro was a Chapek promotion wasn't he? Though he built his career under Iger.

I like D'Amaro (I know others disagree), I think he has a good energy, and seems well liked by cast members. Assuming he sticks around, maybe he will have a different brief under Iger, and this will help.

Rolling back changes starting with giving financial discretion back to individual business groups may have a greater impact as a long term strategy. Chapek consolidated control of the money into a very small team. Giving back the ability to follow through decisions could solve the problem of a global dissatisfaction with political influence. I am hopeful, but view with scepticism the idea that TWDC returns to anything like my own family values. That ship has sailed.

No, I do not think that Genie+ will be going anywhere. I may be in the minority, but I did not hate it. I hope a few changes are made to the parks as a whole though.
I agree. I don’t think things like Genie+ will go away. Nor do I think things like ILL will go away. Those types of things were inevitable and I am ok with them.

I have been more concerned about Disney’s culture under Chapek. He didn’t give a hoot about the “magic”…he only cared about the $$. You could feel the difference in the parks under his tenure. Iger definitely does care about the magic, storytelling and guest satisfaction. He cares about detail. The Disney culture will rebound under Iger. THAT’S what I care about.

Hopefully he will fire everyone at LucasFilm and we can get some Star Wars that is not riddled with modern liberal politics.

If I want politics I'll watch Fox News, MSNBC, CNN, etc. I don't want it in my TV shows.

Go Woke, Go Broke.

I've got some bad news to tell you about George Lucas.

This is exactly right. All Chapek has done to this point is execute Iger’s plans. I suspect that Genie+, one of the worst things to happen to WDW, is here to stay. I don’t see the spending on “streetmosphere” to increase. They won’t be dropping prices on tickets, APs, food and merch. Iger was NEVER a parks guy. The focus at Disney for a few years now has been and will remain to be, Disney+. If anything, the last year has taught them that they can spit on park fans and they will still show up AND they will spend money on whatever crap they peddle.

Nothing will change in the parks until park attendance plummets. Even then I think they would try to increase prices to make up for a revenue shortfall before they focus on improving the customer experience. Remember that Iger is the one who brought us the “premium cabanas” (see pop-up car-ports) in Tomorrowland to try to generate revenue…
Disney doesn’t release attendance figures. What do you consider plummets? There are estimates that attendance is down around 17-19% from 2019 at WDW. If you take parks earning and compare to last quarter in 2021, adjust in inflation ( how Disney raised prices on everything) it was the same as 2021.

Hopefully he will fire everyone at LucasFilm and we can get some Star Wars that is not riddled with modern liberal politics.

If I want politics I'll watch Fox News, MSNBC, CNN, etc. I don't want it in my TV shows.

Go Woke, Go Broke.

I know I shouldn't but...

Star Wars has ALWAYS been littered with liberal politics. Always. Ask George Lucas about it.

I agree. I don’t think things like Genie+ will go away. Nor do I think things like ILL will go away. Those types of things were inevitable and I am ok with them.

I have been more concerned about Disney’s culture under Chapek. He didn’t give a hoot about the “magic”…he only cared about the $$. You could feel the difference in the parks under his tenure. Iger definitely does care about the magic, storytelling and guest satisfaction. He cares about detail. The Disney culture will rebound under Iger. THAT’S what I care about.
All companies have bean counters and we all get that. You just don't talk about it when your guests are emptying their pockets at the front gate.

Detail is what Disney is about and that has been lost IMO. When I was a guest artist in the 1990's it was ALL about detail. I saw it front and backstage. It was magical.

Covid created a messy atmosphere when companies were making it up as they went along. I have hope that despite recent additions most of us don't like (genie), if the parks are cleaned (I'm here and it is obvious they are not), guests feel welcomed and appreciated, that will provide a start in the good will department. Creative *thank you* ideas should be in the discussion immediately. AP's perhaps starting with DVC blue card holders? Bob Iger has a limited amount of time to start (like today) to make a few small steps and then start the marathon. I believe he can do it and not a minute to waste!

All companies have bean counters and we all get that. You just don't talk about it when your guests are emptying their pockets at the front gate.

Detail is what Disney is about and that has been lost IMO. When I was a guest artist in the 1990's it was ALL about detail. I saw it front and backstage. It was magical.

Covid created a messy atmosphere when companies were making it up as they went along. I have hope that despite recent additions most of us don't like (genie), if the parks are cleaned (I'm here and it is obvious they are not), guests feel welcomed and appreciated, that will provide a start in the good will department. Creative *thank you* ideas should be in the discussion immediately. AP's perhaps starting with DVC blue card holders? Bob Iger has a limited amount of time to start (like today) to make a few small steps and then start the marathon. I believe he can do it and not a minute to waste!
100%. The culture/magic like the attention to detail has been lost. I noticed it on our last trip. WDW was always know for cleanliness and attention to detail. If you lose that then I might as well go to Universal. Iger was a stickler for that stuff. I have a feeling we will see improvements under his stewardship.

Iger back and Day 1 we have the highest price EVER for Genie+ at $29 today.....

Well, keep in mind that it is too early for him to just wave his hand and change that - not that he even would, but it can't really be laid at his feet either. It will take some time for changes to take place - and don't expect to see everything that "we" want to happen instantly or at all. Give it time to see what's going to shake out.

Bring back Fast Pass and Magical Express!!!!! I long for the good ole days at Disney where you didn't have to have your eyes on your phone all day making all kinds of reservations for everything except going to the bathroom! Too much work for a vacation. Not relaxing at all. Pretty soon Disney will TELLING you when you can ride and eat.

It was rather convenient timing, wasn’t it? Iger was toying with the notion of a presidential run, wasn’t he? The rumor is that he signed for a 2 year stint as CEO this time. What is in 2 years from now?
Two years from now will be two weeks after the 2024 election. Jostling for nominations will begin by next spring. Even if Iger had only made a one-year commitment, November 2023 would be too late to start a presidential run.

A lot of good points and theories for sure! I don't think there will be any significant changes to the parks, but am hoping the details, which is where a lot of the magic happens, become more of a focal point again.

And that't the thing, I don't really mind the price increases IF they are delivering the top-notch product that they traditionally have. I get that costs go up - but they need to provide everything they always have and new stuff too to justify it. When we see them cutting back AND rasinig prices we are always going to feel shorted.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter