I'm inspired. Now advise me on surprising my kids.

Glynis

<font color=indigo>Taking applications for a WDW t
After reading several trip reports about parents surprising their children with trips to Disney, I'm inspired to try to do the same thing for mine. So, I have some questions: What is the best time of year to try something like this for either WDW or DL? How far in advance do I need to start arranging it? Any advice would be great!

Thanks.

I have no personal experiences to share, but wanted to say good luck.

Also, check the Families Board as there was one whole thread on ideas of what people have done to surprise their kids.

I'm not sure I understand the first part of your question. When is a good time to GO, or when is a good time to "unveil" the surprise, so to speak?

If you mean when to surprise them, I really don't think it matters. If my parents had woken me up on say July 11 and said "Get up! We're going to Disney World!", it would have felt like second birthday, or like Christmas had come 5 months early! :)

As for how far in advance to start planning, treat it like you would ANY other Disney trip. I generally find that it's easiest to book the hotel first and work from there. I book as soon as I can to make sure I get the room I want.

Lots of luck to you!

When to go, well NOW is not soon enough for me...LOL. Seriously now, I hear May is good, try and avoid peak times, school vacations, Christmas, Most of the summer. I hear a good quiet week to go is the last week of August or first week of Sept.

As far as surprising the kids..well my son's teacher planned a trip last year, she planned it for months and didn't tell her two DD's they were like 6 & 9 at the time. She secretly packed bags etc. They had planned for a few months to spend the night at a hotel which happened to be by an airport, it was just to use the pool and celebrate mom & dad's anniversary....in the morning they decided to give the girls a little surprise, their first airplane ride, just going up to see what a ride in a plane is like and coming down and going back home...oppppss we landed in DISNEY WORLD!!!!!!!!! Me, I could NEVER NEVER keep that secret, I am a DISNEY nut! I do a calander I make up special with 8x10 pictures of Disney attractions and we rip one off a day and tape them all over the kitchen walls! My kids run out of their rooms in the morning to see what's next. Last night I caught my almost 4 YO DS standing on a chair leaning against the kitchen wall kissing all the pages we had ripped off good night.....LOL...Bless his little heart "Good night Pirates of the Carribean see you soon, Good night train station....." It was soooo sweet!

Have fun planning, glad the DIS bug bit you! :teeth:

I work with a woman who surprised her children with a Disney vacation on Christmas morning... She had a few presents wrapped: one was a limo, because that's how they were getting to the airport, and I think the other two children got Disney Dollars... The she said, "the limo will be here in an hour, we're going to Disney!!!". I guess her children were SOOO excited and surprised. She said it was really busy down there, but they still had a great time and it was definitely worth it!

My aunt also surprised my cousins once... she woke them up at 5am and said, "get ready, we're going to disney!!". I guess one of my cousins was NOT pleased to wake up so early, and didn't believe they were going, but the other child was sooo excited, and both ended up having a great time.

Good luck!! :earsgirl:

We aren't going to tell our kids until we get there, or at least to the airport, but they will be 4 and 2, so it's not so hard.

Maybe if you give them a gift bag the night before filled with Disney things, or do a scavenger hunt type things and have different Disney things for the prizes, probably depends on the ages of your kids if they'd like that or not.

Good luck!

Steph

I surprised my DSs (then 7 & 10) with a trip to Busch Gardens one year....it was hillarious. I lived in CT was visiting my sister in VA and we told the boys we were going to the mall to buy school clothes. We got all the way to the gate, and paid for parking (my son's were playing their game boys and were totally clueless) When I paid for parking, my oldest glanced up and said "This must be some fancy mall if you have to pay for parking" LOL It wasn't until after we parked that he looked again at the parking ticket in the window of the car and saw the reflection that said Busch Gardens. He just screamed and couldn't believe it. It was the best suprise, because I told them before we even left CT that I couldn't afford to take them.

I can't believe we have kept our big mouths shut!!! Our DS's are ages 6 and 7 and they have absolutely no idea. I have contacted both of their teachers and asked for homework as far in advance as possible so I can squeeze it in a little at a time. The teachers know it is a surprise and are helping us keep it a secret. They both play soccer and baseball and their coaches know that they will miss 1 game as well. There is potential for the secret to be "blown" but most everyone I have told assured me they would not leak it out.

We went when they were only 3 and 5 and you would not believe how much they remember. They have asked us since then..."When are we ever going back to WDW?". We have always told them it wouldn't be until they were in their last year of grade school. They still believe that. We plan on getting them out of bed about 11pm...sticking them in the car...and driving straight through (about 15hours). Sure they will wake up in the am but we'll just tell them we decided to take a trip today. We don't plan on telling them anything until we pull up to the Wilderness Lodge.

Oh my goodness...I can't wait!!!!
:jumping1:

We are doing something similar. DS's (almost 3 and almost 5) don't know we are going anywhere and they have been convinced that we CAN'T go to Disney until next year.

Next Friday, that's right only 9 days!, when I get home from work I'm going say "C'mon, lets get in the car and go to the beach" and off we go. The van is being packed this weekend while the kids are at their grandparents! We're going to pack them full of McDonald's, put a Disney video on and crank up the heat. They'll be asleep by 8:30. We're driving 8 hrs which will put us within an hour of the world in the morning.

I called yesterday to WDW Mail Merchandising and got Mickey ears, autograph books and fat pens for them. Once we pull up to the entrance sign we're going to pull over (Right next to the entrance) and act like we're lost, fiddling with maps etc. DH is going to ask the kids to look outside and see if they notice anything that would tell us where we are. Fire up the video camera, hand over the boxes of Disney goodies to help them figure it out and BINGO, we've got ourselves an aneurysm! I really think my little guy will probably explode!:tongue:

I once surprised an 11 year old by pre-arranging with the staff at the local Disney store. We took her to the mall, and while she was busy in another store, I gave her airline ticket to a CM at the Disney store, and described her and he took it from there! When we came back to the store, all the CMs started clapping and he came up to Veronica and said, "hey, are you Veronica? Well, we were just informed by Mickey himself that you are invited to come and see him at Disneyworld. Here's your ticket--you're leaving tomorrow!" She was so shocked that she started crying right there in the store! It was priceless. For once she was stunned! She didn't speak again until we were on the plane. :earseek:

Originally posted by Disney Fool
I once surprised an 11 year old by pre-arranging with the staff at the local Disney store. We took her to the mall, and while she was busy in another store, I gave her airline ticket to a CM at the Disney store, and described her and he took it from there! When we came back to the store, all the CMs started clapping and he came up to Veronica and said, "hey, are you Veronica? Well, we were just informed by Mickey himself that you are invited to come and see him at Disneyworld. Here's your ticket--you're leaving tomorrow!" She was so shocked that she started crying right there in the store! It was priceless. For once she was stunned! She didn't speak again until we were on the plane. :earseek:

That was the best I've ever heard of!!! You are so good!!!

I could never say ANYTHING in advance, unlike your angel, mine would go the opposite route and would not shut up until we were there!!!!

My kids are just the opposite but they are a little older than most of yours (10, 8 and 7). They do not like to be shocked (I don't do well with surprises either). They do not know anything about our upcoming Sept. trip. Last they heard it would be YEARS before we would be able to go back.

They love to enter contests so I plan on wrapping candy bars in special wrappers about two weeks before our trip. On the outside they will say something about a WDW Vacation Sweepstakes. One the inside they will disover that they are "instant winners". I can't wait to see their faces plus this will give them a little time to help with the planning.

For Lisa3: I just had a great idea! I've seen those Wonka bars at the candy store on Main Street. If your kids have seen the Willa Wonka movie, it would be a great idea to purchase those Wonka bars and have your surprise inside!! You could call WDW Merchandising and have them sent to you.

Disney Fool - What a great idea! One of our all time favorite movies is Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. They are always talking about finding that Golden Ticket. They actually do sell Wonka Bars at our local Toys R Us. Thanks!!

We are surprising our kids (dd-6 and ds-4) next Sun, May 9th. We planned this trip last minute as a 10th anniversary trip for us. We already have a trip planned for early Dec, so everytime I slipped, I just covered it up with the trip in Dec. I am a planner and love to do the calendars and start packing a couple weeks in advance, so this is a little hard, but I'm really looking forward to their reactions.

I really don't think I could pull this off if I didn't have the December trip already planned b/c we love to talk about Disney and all our plans and where to eat. The kids have a fun time planning.

Since I doubt I will get them to nap on the plane ride down, I plan on getting their suggestions for rides and parks b/c we will only be there for 4 days. I just can't wait to see the expressions on their face when they realize what is happening!! Talk about "PRICELESS".

:eek:

I really think the person who does all the planning has way more fun than the kids about to be surprised! It's true, you know, "There's more happiness in giving than there is in receiving" For those of you out there who are kicking the idea around, --go for it! You won't believe the fun you'll have. I have fond memories of laughing myself silly while I was plotting and planning:teeth: :teeth: :teeth: Be warned, though; you've got to be a little bit devious and sneaky. As the previous poster Hezzie noted, you also need a back up plan in case you slip up!

The day you are leaving tell your kids to get up and get in the car, they are going for haircuts, if you're flying, and they look at you funny when you get to the airport, just casually mention that you forgot to tell them it was at the Magic Kingdom :)

I've been thinking about Christmas... ya know, every year we get more "stuff" stuff nobody really needs and sometimes, nobody really wants, then you have to find room for all of that "stuff".... I would rather take that $$ and go to WDW in January. Would Christmas morning be a big letdown if the kids only had park hoppers in their stockings and a trip in 3 weeks??

Mermaid02- I think it depends how old your kids are. If you are still doing the "Santa Scene" then yes, I do think they will be dissappointed not to find any presents under the tree. If they are older maybe you could pick up some items you may want for the trip (disposable cameras, Disney t-shirts, new CDs for their walkman, etc.) to wrap up and put under the tree along with the Hoppers in their stockings. It might be fun to have them unwrap everything else and give them the Hoppers last!:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter