I'm never taking WDW for granted ever again

twixieshores

Earning My Ears

After 9 trips to WDW plus a college program, I finally took the plunge and went to Disneyland, because everyone says California has the better park. I can only speak to my experience, but it wasn't true in my case. Allow me to count the things I missed:

1) It decided to rain my first day and CA Adventure is basically shut down during rain. Only Soarin', Toy Story Midway Mania, and Little Mermaid were open. Lines shot up to 2.5 hrs, 1.5 hrs, and 50 min respectively. Also, people freak out at the sight of puddles. Wouldn't have been too bad, but after being up for 22 hours flying across the country I was miffed that people could walk through a tiny puddle.

2) I need a DAS. This has never been an issue in FL, but in CA they questioned whether a theme park is the right place for me. On its own, that might just be a person thinking someone with an invisible disability is faking, but it brings me to my next issue.

3) Rude Cast Members. Yes, they've gotten worse in Florida, but I've never seen levels close to what I saw in Cali. Never in a million years would I expect to hear a CM cuss a guest out because he was waiting in the wrong spot (a bunch of people used that spot as stroller parking, CM was trying to move the strollers to the proper area, and when the man asked where he was supposed to wait for his family to be done with the Golden Zephyr since the CM wanted him to move, he was told to "figure it the **** out.") While that was the worst of what I saw, there was plenty of rudeness all around. Not to say there weren't fantastic CMs (special shout out to the woman at the Disneyland hotel who let me know i could still get my Chase discount if i used my redemption card), but they were much more the exception.

4) Photopass not taking photos with our phone. I know that covid took that ability away for Photopass to take photos in all parks for a bit, but I also know they were brought back after covid restrictions eased up. At least on the east coast. But apparently, in DL they decided to keep that restriction, and refuse to let you use your own camera in certain locations, because those were reserved for Photopass.

5) The food. WDW has plenty of good food if you know where to go. DL, not so much.

6) Ride reliability. Again, not necessarily unique, but 70% of the rides I went on either broke down in line or while on the ride.

7) The lack of decent queues. You really do love your bare chain queues for the most part, don't you?

I'm going to skip over the only 2 parks, limited hotels, and the fact that DTD is way smaller than DS, because those are obvious to anyone with eyes.

And to end it on a positive note, let me talk about what I actually did like about the park compared to FL:
1) Halloween Haunted Mansion. Loved it.
2) Trader Sam's has reservations, meaning I actually got to get a seat after 5 years of trying.
3) the weather.

TL;DR Disneyland isn't the better park. WDW is massively better.

After 9 trips to WDW plus a college program, I finally took the plunge and went to Disneyland, because everyone says California has the better park. I can only speak to my experience, but it wasn't true in my case. Allow me to count the things I missed:

1) It decided to rain my first day and CA Adventure is basically shut down during rain. Only Soarin', Toy Story Midway Mania, and Little Mermaid were open. Lines shot up to 2.5 hrs, 1.5 hrs, and 50 min respectively. Also, people freak out at the sight of puddles. Wouldn't have been too bad, but after being up for 22 hours flying across the country I was miffed that people could walk through a tiny puddle.

2) I need a DAS. This has never been an issue in FL, but in CA they questioned whether a theme park is the right place for me. On its own, that might just be a person thinking someone with an invisible disability is faking, but it brings me to my next issue.

3) Rude Cast Members. Yes, they've gotten worse in Florida, but I've never seen levels close to what I saw in Cali. Never in a million years would I expect to hear a CM cuss a guest out because he was waiting in the wrong spot (a bunch of people used that spot as stroller parking, CM was trying to move the strollers to the proper area, and when the man asked where he was supposed to wait for his family to be done with the Golden Zephyr since the CM wanted him to move, he was told to "figure it the **** out.") While that was the worst of what I saw, there was plenty of rudeness all around. Not to say there weren't fantastic CMs (special shout out to the woman at the Disneyland hotel who let me know i could still get my Chase discount if i used my redemption card), but they were much more the exception.

4) Photopass not taking photos with our phone. I know that covid took that ability away for Photopass to take photos in all parks for a bit, but I also know they were brought back after covid restrictions eased up. At least on the east coast. But apparently, in DL they decided to keep that restriction, and refuse to let you use your own camera in certain locations, because those were reserved for Photopass.

5) The food. WDW has plenty of good food if you know where to go. DL, not so much.

6) Ride reliability. Again, not necessarily unique, but 70% of the rides I went on either broke down in line or while on the ride.

7) The lack of decent queues. You really do love your bare chain queues for the most part, don't you?

I'm going to skip over the only 2 parks, limited hotels, and the fact that DTD is way smaller than DS, because those are obvious to anyone with eyes.

And to end it on a positive note, let me talk about what I actually did like about the park compared to FL:
1) Halloween Haunted Mansion. Loved it.
2) Trader Sam's has reservations, meaning I actually got to get a seat after 5 years of trying.
3) the weather.

TL;DR Disneyland isn't the better park. WDW is massively better.

Thanks for posting your experiences. I will admit that I was a bit disappointed with DL the first time I went after having been at WDW. I have since found the differring charms and like both for different resasons. I will say that DL is the better PARK compared to MK, however WDW is the better overall resort.

Things I like better at DL: The convenience and closeness of everything, the quick service food, the classic Fantasyland dark rides, that SoCal weather, Pirates of the Caribbean!

Things I dislike about DL: Table service food options are limited, CMs are generally less friendly and more casual (does not apply to all, just in general), queues that are too small for the demand and general traffic bottlenecks.

The weather is a key, but you are right that it becomes a MESS in the rain! Los Angelinos absolutely freak out when it rains, and also when it's "hot" - like around 78 degrees! 🤣 DL has drainage issues and roofs that leak. It rains so infrequently though that it doesn't seem to be a prioriy. The reason for all those plain-jane outdoor queues is becuase of the weather - in Florida they had to cover them or people really would be passing out from heat exhaustion!

DL does have some great food options if you know where to look. Sometimes though it is hard to order. I think overall the counter service places are better than at WDW - you can even get a decent slice of pizza! Stand-outs are Pacific Wharf Cafe soup in a bread bowl, Tropical Hideaway's Bao Buns, and of course, the corn dogs from the Little Red Wagon. I do think there is less variety overall though so it's a tough comparison.

If you REALLY want to get into comparisons though, go try Tokyo Disney Resort - it absolutely destroys both US parks! Amazing place. Japan just reopened their borders to foreign travel so.... 😁

I’m biased towards Disneyland because it’s my home. After having the chance to visit WDW a couple of times more recently the past few years, DLR is still my fave because it has most of the better version of same/similar rides (eg small world, pirates, space, Cars, etc.) I do agree when we have bad weather though, things do fall apart. Fireworks get canceled a lot but I can see how it’s a safety issue with the park smacked in a city. WDW is just a lot bigger so there are way more food choices. I haven’t really interacted with rude CMs but I do see both resorts hiring a bunch of new CMs. Anyway sorry you had a terrible time. You should definitely give it another try though because majority of the time it’s not like how you experienced it. I go multiple times a week and it’s usually pretty great. Monsters after dark is another great holiday layover and so is Small World Holidays.

I’m biased towards Disneyland because it’s my home. After having the chance to visit WDW a couple of times more recently the past few years, DLR is still my fave because it has most of the better version of same/similar rides (eg small world, pirates, space, Cars, etc.) I do agree when we have bad weather though, things do fall apart. Fireworks get canceled a lot but I can see how it’s a safety issue with the park smacked in a city. WDW is just a lot bigger so there are way more food choices. I haven’t really interacted with rude CMs but I do see both resorts hiring a bunch of new CMs. Anyway sorry you had a terrible time. You should definitely give it another try though because majority of the time it’s not like how you experienced it. I go multiple times a week and it’s usually pretty great. Monsters after dark is another great holiday layover and so is Small World Holidays.

I wouldn't say that the CMs are "rude" (well, there are always some at both DLR & WDW), but they are definitely more casual at DLR. WDW CMs have this almost cult-like guest facing demeanor - very pleasant and more consistent. At DL, I have seen casual chit-chat and complaints about the job, etc. in guest view. Also, those DLR CMs are so very used to the regulars that know everything that they tend to be a little short with someone who is unwittingly breaking a so-called rule - not that it would be posted anywhere. This is especially aparent during parades and shows. It feels like they just love to "correct" your behavior. You don't see that as much at WDW in my experience.

Thanks for posting your experiences. I will admit that I was a bit disappointed with DL the first time I went after having been at WDW. I have since found the differring charms and like both for different resasons. I will say that DL is the better PARK compared to MK, however WDW is the better overall resort.

Things I like better at DL: The convenience and closeness of everything, the quick service food, the classic Fantasyland dark rides, that SoCal weather, Pirates of the Caribbean!

Things I dislike about DL: Table service food options are limited, CMs are generally less friendly and more casual (does not apply to all, just in general), queues that are too small for the demand and general traffic bottlenecks.

The weather is a key, but you are right that it becomes a MESS in the rain! Los Angelinos absolutely freak out when it rains, and also when it's "hot" - like around 78 degrees! 🤣 DL has drainage issues and roofs that leak. It rains so infrequently though that it doesn't seem to be a prioriy. The reason for all those plain-jane outdoor queues is becuase of the weather - in Florida they had to cover them or people really would be passing out from heat exhaustion!

DL does have some great food options if you know where to look. Sometimes though it is hard to order. I think overall the counter service places are better than at WDW - you can even get a decent slice of pizza! Stand-outs are Pacific Wharf Cafe soup in a bread bowl, Tropical Hideaway's Bao Buns, and of course, the corn dogs from the Little Red Wagon. I do think there is less variety overall though so it's a tough comparison.

If you REALLY want to get into comparisons though, go try Tokyo Disney Resort - it absolutely destroys both US parks! Amazing place. Japan just reopened their borders to foreign travel so.... 😁
Thanks for your input. Pirates was definitely better, I'll admit to that (again, aside from that bland queue), as well as most of Fantasyland's rides, even with 4 of them breaking down on me during the ride.

I'll keep the quick service in mind if I ever make my way back. I just need to get my lists correct this time of where to eat (French Market was not the correct choice for DL, or at least the slow roasted beef sandwich they offered and the mint julep was a sad waste of money; I'm getting a Coke or Powerade next time) but I guess that's a bias that comes from extensive trial and error of eventually knowing where to eat in Florida

Anyway sorry you had a terrible time. You should definitely give it another try though because majority of the time it’s not like how you experienced it.
I wouldn't say I had a terrible time. It was a solid B-, which only becomes an issue when you compare it to a park that is regularly an A/A+ and everyone and their dog telling you that DLR is sooooo much better in literally every way. I think more than anything, it was an issue of high expectations.

Thanks for your input. Pirates was definitely better, I'll admit to that (again, aside from that bland queue), as well as most of Fantasyland's rides, even with 4 of them breaking down on me during the ride.

I'll keep the quick service in mind if I ever make my way back. I just need to get my lists correct this time of where to eat (French Market was not the correct choice for DL, or at least the slow roasted beef sandwich they offered and the mint julep was a sad waste of money; I'm getting a Coke or Powerade next time) but I guess that's a bias that comes from extensive trial and error of eventually knowing where to eat in Florida

Yeah, the Mint Juleps are a local favorite, but I'm not that into them. Go over to the Fantasy Faire and hit Maurice's Treats for a Boysen Apple Freeze!

I've been to WDW many times (I have an AP) and have only been to Disneyland twice. Last time I went was in 2019 and I think DL is WAY better than WDW. The walkability between both parks and Downtown Disney is so convenient and cannot be beat. I don't think either resort has fantastic food but I do like how WDW has more options (even if many of them are bleh). DL has the superior versions of many rides and at least before Covid DL felt way more laidback than WDW. Also DL has better weather and you're not in Florida LOL

I think DL is the better park than the Magic Kingdom but WDW is the better resort if you're looking for a theme park resort vacation. The two times I went to Disneyland I did day trips to other spots in Southern California rather than stay on property the entire time. I've been reading many experiences about how Disneyland is now and it makes me sad because my previous two trips were so nice.

However I do agree with @BrianL. The Disney parks in Japan are 100% better than WDW and Disneyland.

I've been to WDW many times (I have an AP) and have only been to Disneyland twice. Last time I went was in 2019 and I think DL is WAY better than WDW. The walkability between both parks and Downtown Disney is so convenient and cannot be beat. I don't think either resort has fantastic food but I do like how WDW has more options (even if many of them are bleh). DL has the superior versions of many rides and at least before Covid DL felt way more laidback than WDW. Also DL has better weather and you're not in Florida LOL

I think DL is the better park than the Magic Kingdom but WDW is the better resort if you're looking for a theme park resort vacation. The two times I went to Disneyland I did day trips to other spots in Southern California rather than stay on property the entire time. I've been reading many experiences about how Disneyland is now and it makes me sad because my previous two trips were so nice.

However I do agree with @BrianL. The Disney parks in Japan are 100% better than WDW and Disneyland.

Hey, Smug, Japan just reopened their borders.... 🤔

I wouldn't say I had a terrible time. It was a solid B-, which only becomes an issue when you compare it to a park that is regularly an A/A+ and everyone and their dog telling you that DLR is sooooo much better in literally every way. I think more than anything, it was an issue of high expectations.
Oh I could totally see that. It’s like me trying not to tell everyone heading towards WDW that Cosmic Rewind is like the best Disney ride ever so they won’t have unrealistic expectations. 😅

I think how one vacations makes a difference too. When I go to wdw I stay in the deluxe resorts as a DVC member and those extended hour nights are awesome. Wdw as a resort vacation is pretty fun but Disneyland has my heart. Also apparently I really need to go to Tokyo Disneyland (only been to Disney Sea so far).

Your original post makes it sound like you're giving it a D or F....

You're also comparing a park that was the first-ish of its kind, made with a tiny budget, to a planned resort made 16 to 33 years after the original. Hardly a fair comparison there.

Like you said, it sounds like your expectations didn't match your experience.

I'd offer the exact opposite of your experience. When we went to WDW last summer we found it dirty. Boring queues for a lot of it. Lines sucked. They flipping closed a water park early because of bad weather on our trip in late June. Every picture we took we look like drowned rats despite our ponchos that we had to wear 6-8 HOURS a day. Kept hearing how people spend 10 days there, yet by day 5 we were ready to go back home. Heck if a speedy WDW trip for us to never want to go back!

Yes, the CMs (especially at DCA) can be jerks about DAS. I have an invisible disability-- degenerative joints, currently mainly in my hips-- and I had one specific one that said it didn't matter that I had a DAS, I still needed to do all of the standby line. But that was the only time it happened to me.

I wouldn't say that the CMs are "rude" (well, there are always some at both DLR & WDW), but they are definitely more casual at DLR. WDW CMs have this almost cult-like guest facing demeanor - very pleasant and more consistent. At DL, I have seen casual chit-chat and complaints about the job, etc. in guest view. Also, those DLR CMs are so very used to the regulars that know everything that they tend to be a little short with someone who is unwittingly breaking a so-called rule - not that it would be posted anywhere. This is especially aparent during parades and shows. It feels like they just love to "correct" your behavior. You don't see that as much at WDW in my experience.
Oh I definitely seen this at DLR. I guess the type of usual guests they encounter would make a difference as I feel most ppl I see at DLR are Magic Key holders, and therefore should know better. Headed to WDW next month and I’m going to pay closer attention to the CMs when I’m there. From what I remember though, other than 1 lady at Space 220, everyone is usually so friendly and nice at WDW.

Oh I could totally see that. It’s like me trying not to tell everyone heading towards WDW that Cosmic Rewind is like the best Disney ride ever so they won’t have unrealistic expectations. 😅

I think how one vacations makes a difference too. When I go to wdw I stay in the deluxe resorts as a DVC member and those extended hour nights are awesome. Wdw as a resort vacation is pretty fun but Disneyland has my heart. Also apparently I really need to go to Tokyo Disneyland (only been to Disney Sea so far).

Well, if you've been to DisneySea then you have seen the top of the mountain. It doesn't get better than that!

Oh I definitely seen this at DLR. I guess the type of usual guests they encounter would make a difference as I feel most ppl I see at DLR are Magic Key holders, and therefore should know better. Headed to WDW next month and I’m going to pay closer attention to the CMs when I’m there. From what I remember though, other than 1 lady at Space 220, everyone is usually so friendly and nice at WDW.

Yeah, at DLR the CMs just have a job. It's weird for me to see CMs in full costume waiting for the bus or something. At WDW, it's more like a lifestyle and many CMs who love it and rearranged their life around it and moved to Orlando to bask in the magic every day. There have been some cracks in the veneer recently, especially since COVID, though on my trip last month I found that it had gotten much better.

One of the CM's said that to you about the DAS?! Wow. I used the DAS on our last trip for something that isn't visible and everyone was thankfully really nice to me. I hope that is still the case when I go in February. I can't imagine how Walt would feel about someone saying that to you when the parks are supposed to be for everyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter