esmeralda2030

Earning My Ears
Right now, my state is one of the WORST for COVID cases in the country.
My cruise is 12/16, and I'm flying into miami.
I can't work from home and stay quarantined before, I am so nervous that I will get COVID even though I'm fully vaccinated. Unfortunately, the only time I could find a booster shot is the week of thanksgiving, so about 3 weeks before the cruise. That means I won't really have that extra protection until just a week before.
I am freaking out that if I will test positive at any time between now and then, I won't be able to go, because positive tests stick around. And flights and hotels were not cheap either :( I wasn't really nervous before, because my area was doing SO WELL up until two weeks ago when cases exploded! we're back to where we were last year during the holidays, when NO ONE was vaccinated!

I guess I'm just looking for emotional support here, and if anyone has any info on "what happens" if you test positive. Or, if I get COVID soon, and I recover, will I be able to have a doctor tell the cruise line that I'm not contagious anymore? Thanks.

Also, if I do test positive, what do I actually do? Go to a hotel and just stake it out for 10 days? I read in another thread that people would rent a car and drive home, but that's impossible for me to do.

Oh, also I did get the DCL insurance that they offered when I booked. Not sure how much a difference that makes.

I can't help with any of the "what ifs." However, I can tell you that if you stay 6 feet away from people as much as possible and wear a mask when distancing isn't possible (or even when it is, just for added protection) you will probably be fine. Even in areas with high transmission, most people are not infected.

I know it's scary, but all you can do is take precautions and hope.

Take a rapid test the afternoon before the day that you fly out (or even the day you fly out, if time permits). That will at least lower the chances of you flying there unknowingly with Covid.

I did this before leaving for my October cruise, and tested via CVS. Make sure you sign up for the rapid test so you get the results right away. I didn't have to pay anything. There is an option to check for "testing before travel", and I selected that.

Get some self tests, maybe they ease your mind when you test negative in the coming month. Take one every few days, or if you feel particularly anxious.

We are leaving in two weeks for a NCL cruise. We are all vaccinated and my husband got Covid at the beginning of October. I keep Binax tests at home so as soon as he had symptoms we tested him and he was positive. Four days later he was feeling a lot better so we did another test and it was still positive. On day 10 we did a third test and he was negative. I was relieved because I was worried he would show a positive test for a lot longer so hopefully that helps ease some worry. I have been stressing to my teen to try and stay away from people as much as possible for the next two weeks because I also worry about getting Covid right before the cruise. We are also all getting tested three days before the cruise to be sure none of us have it before traveling to the port. With NCL, if you test positive prior to traveling to the port you can just submit your positive test paperwork and they will give you a credit for the cruise with no need to go to the port. I'm sure Disney would handle it the same way. As a previous poster said, if you stay away from people and wear a mask you should be fine. We live in a 900 sf house and even though my husband had Covid, my daughter and I didn't get it.

Safe Passage does have a way for you to attest that you've recently had Covid and recovered (like a doctor's note). I found this verbiage:

90 Day Recovered Guests: Individuals who have recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days and have been medically cleared for travel by their healthcare provider, are not required take a pre-sail PCR test

So if you did happen to get sick in the next few weeks, all is not lost!

If I remember correctly they allowed you to have been sick up to 9 days prior to arriving at the port.

All I can say is that we’ve been on over a dozen flights with travel to Orlando and Texas over the last 2 years and we have not tested positive for COVID once. As others have said, as long as you follow safe practices, your chances of becoming infected are very small.

Right now, my state is one of the WORST for COVID cases in the country.
My cruise is 12/16, and I'm flying into miami.
I can't work from home and stay quarantined before, I am so nervous that I will get COVID even though I'm fully vaccinated. Unfortunately, the only time I could find a booster shot is the week of thanksgiving, so about 3 weeks before the cruise. That means I won't really have that extra protection until just a week before.
I am freaking out that if I will test positive at any time between now and then, I won't be able to go, because positive tests stick around. And flights and hotels were not cheap either :( I wasn't really nervous before, because my area was doing SO WELL up until two weeks ago when cases exploded! we're back to where we were last year during the holidays, when NO ONE was vaccinated!

I guess I'm just looking for emotional support here, and if anyone has any info on "what happens" if you test positive. Or, if I get COVID soon, and I recover, will I be able to have a doctor tell the cruise line that I'm not contagious anymore? Thanks.

Also, if I do test positive, what do I actually do? Go to a hotel and just stake it out for 10 days? I read in another thread that people would rent a car and drive home, but that's impossible for me to do.

Oh, also I did get the DCL insurance that they offered when I booked. Not sure how much a difference that makes.

You can't control everything.

Wear a mask everywhere you go, try to avoid social gatherings/restaurant/bars (places where people will not wear a mask), try to stay 6 ft apart from other people and get that 3rd shot if it's recommended. That's all you can do for now in order to protect yourself.

Regarding potential impact of a positive test after the cruise... Check your options with travel insurance to see if some of them offer quarantine and cancellation coverage... And don't hesitate to call DCL insurance provider to ask questions.

As I understand it, DCL currently will refund or credit you for a future booking if you cannot travel due to Covid reasons that surface inside 14 days of your sailing or in case of a positive test at port. We are not flying but i can assume that an airline would work with you for future travel in the case of a positive case. At the very least, investigate your DCL coverage and add more insurance if it will make you feel better. Test in advance of leaving home.
may I also suggest KN95 masks? My mother was in ICU during the height of Covid before vaccines were available. I wore a KN95 for hours on end for 3 weeks at the hospital and never got sick. Pair that with social distancing and your vaccine and you should be ok.

Honestly if ppl are *freaking out* about getting Covid despite being fully vaxxed, they should consider not traveling.
I wouldn't travel if I was as terrified.
You can still get covid even with a booster shot. There's so many cases of fully vaxxed ppl that have gotten it.. You just need to evaluate risk/benefit..

That said, cruises right now are one of the safest vacations out there, if not the safest.. the fact that they only (mostly) allow vaxxed ppl to sail makes them a very attractive option... I personally totally avoid places like WDW, Universal etc bc it's a free for all and they are so insanely crowded.. Cruises otoh you can only sail if vaxxed and protocols in general are very aggressive so that's a plus too.

Honestly if ppl are *freaking out* about getting Covid despite being fully vaxxed, they should consider not traveling.
I wouldn't travel if I was as terrified.
You can still get covid even with a booster shot. There's so many cases of fully vaxxed ppl that have gotten it.. You just need to evaluate risk/benefit..

That said, cruises right now are one of the safest vacations out there, if not the safest.. the fact that they only (mostly) allow vaxxed ppl to sail makes them a very attractive option... I personally totally avoid places like WDW, Universal etc bc it's a free for all and they are so insanely crowded.. Cruises otoh you can only sail if vaxxed and protocols in general are very aggressive so that's a plus too.

I think the worry is less about getting Covid (which is annoying, but not so bad for most vaccinated people) and more about testing positive at the port and then being in a bad situation because you need to quarantine and you aren't near home.

So far, DCL has been providing a ride back to MCO or to a hotel. And, of course you get a refund or future cruise credit. That's about it, though.

We are leaving in two weeks for a NCL cruise. We are all vaccinated and my husband got Covid at the beginning of October. I keep Binax tests at home so as soon as he had symptoms we tested him and he was positive. Four days later he was feeling a lot better so we did another test and it was still positive. On day 10 we did a third test and he was negative. I was relieved because I was worried he would show a positive test for a lot longer so hopefully that helps ease some worry. I have been stressing to my teen to try and stay away from people as much as possible for the next two weeks because I also worry about getting Covid right before the cruise. We are also all getting tested three days before the cruise to be sure none of us have it before traveling to the port. With NCL, if you test positive prior to traveling to the port you can just submit your positive test paperwork and they will give you a credit for the cruise with no need to go to the port. I'm sure Disney would handle it the same way. As a previous poster said, if you stay away from people and wear a mask you should be fine. We live in a 900 sf house and even though my husband had Covid, my daughter and I didn't get it.
That's good to know, I kept hearing that people who test positive keep testing positive for months after. Very reassuring! It's the "staying away from people" part that's impossible for me though :(

I think the worry is less about getting Covid (which is annoying, but not so bad for most vaccinated people) and more about testing positive at the port and then being in a bad situation because you need to quarantine and you aren't near home.

So far, DCL has been providing a ride back to MCO or to a hotel. And, of course you get a refund or future cruise credit. That's about it, though.
Yes exactly, I'm not "afraid" of getting sick, I'm afraid of wasting my money and not being able to experience something I've looked forward to for a very long time

As I understand it, DCL currently will refund or credit you for a future booking if you cannot travel due to Covid reasons that surface inside 14 days of your sailing or in case of a positive test at port. We are not flying but i can assume that an airline would work with you for future travel in the case of a positive case. At the very least, investigate your DCL coverage and add more insurance if it will make you feel better. Test in advance of leaving home.
may I also suggest KN95 masks? My mother was in ICU during the height of Covid before vaccines were available. I wore a KN95 for hours on end for 3 weeks at the hospital and never got sick. Pair that with social distancing and your vaccine and you should be ok.

good idea! I think I'll buy some KN95s. Also, hope your mom is okay and recovered. It's basically the "height of covid" again in my state.

Yes, if you test positive and recover before you leave, you can still sail! According to some family members of mine who this recently happened to, you don’t even have to do the pre cruise testing, so you don’t have to worry about a positive lingering. I would guess you have to be out of the ten day quarantine time frame, but their first positive was about three weeks before they sailed and they were still able to go.

Yes, if you test positive and recover before you leave, you can still sail! According to some family members of mine who this recently happened to, you don’t even have to do the pre cruise testing, so you don’t have to worry about a positive lingering. I would guess you have to be out of the ten day quarantine time frame, but their first positive was about three weeks before they sailed and they were still able to go.
This is really great news! I thought if you test positive at any time before the cruise you're screwed. I feel a lot better now,

Please turn off your tv. It’s wrecking your mental health. That’s not to sound sarcastic or rude. Have fun and don’t worry! I took a b2b cruise on NCL where we wore no masks anywhere and we were fine. Trust the science.

Please turn off your tv. It’s wrecking your mental health. That’s not to sound sarcastic or rude. Have fun and don’t worry! I took a b2b cruise on NCL where we wore no masks anywhere and we were fine. Trust the science.

Again, you missed the point of this thread. Please reread the first post. It's about fear of being turned away at the port, not fear of getting Covid.

We picked up a six pack of the proctored Binax tests. We tested ourselves, at home, the day before we were planning to leave. It would have been a lot easier to cancel our plans (Auto Train, pre-cruise hotel, cruise, and two hotels after the cruise) from home had we tested positive. We still had to test at the port prior to the cruise but we had some confidence we would test negative.

You try to take care of yourself and family, and hope for the best. If you test positive and have to cancel your plans, remind yourself of everything that you had to cancel in the last year or so, then start planning the next trip.

Best of luck!

I feel you - I'm worried about being sick when we go on our next trip as well. I don't much mind catching it before or after (well OK, I'd MUCH prefer not to at all) but please please not right before we go!

As others have said, test before you leave home so you can be relatively sure of your result day of (or again the night before you embark if you're hanging around Orlando for a few days first).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter