• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Impossible to see, the future is. - Nov 2020 Dining Report - Update 1/5 F&W Booths & California Grill (Complete)

Catching up instead of doing all the holiday prep that I need to do. :rolleyes: I can't wait until Rise of the Resistance operates more consistently and they start offering fast passes. I always love stopping at Baseline. I really hoped that Oga's would be like it in the sense that you could just "stop in" ... maybe in the future when the novelty wears off. I also hope that at some point in the future it will be possible to watch the lightsaber ceremony/show without purchasing one. Or I just need to find a friend who wants one and tag along.
Ah, Homecomin' (still shaking my head at dropping the 'g' from the name) - those biscuits are divine!!! :love: Not sure if I dare go the next couple of weeks with the crowds but gosh am I tempted!

Via is another favorite and, oddly enough, I've always wanted to be sat at that big table - no idea why. :laughing:

We ate at Teppan Edo in November and I was really uncomfortable. We were party of 3 sat with party of 5 (so every seat was taken) and while the food was great I was just uneasy the whole time sitting next to the other party, even with the divider. But I am fairly neurotic. :rolleyes: And all ended up fine.

LOVE Brown Derby. Cosmo is my go-to there, too. I agree with you - it just "feels right" in that setting. Hoping that the outdoor lounge goes back to serving food soon.

Happy Holidays to you, your husband, and your fur babies! Thanks for sharing your trip with us. I'm looking forward to hearing more. :goodvibes

I hope they figure out all the bugs with Rise eventually. One day! Hopefully the novelty wears off for Oga's but that probably won't be for a couple years. I'm glad I was able to watch the lightsaber show as it was really cool.

I need those biscuits in my life as they are so very very good. Not sure when we'll go back for them though as I think we're doing Morimoto next week during Not-Marathon-Weekend.

I don't blame you feeling neurotic there. We all have different comfort levels and living in Florida has its own comfort level nowadays it feels. We are really picky on where we eat out at home because we don't trust the general population.

Hope you had a wonderful holiday. We had a relaxing weekend with walks, food and lots of tv binge watching, at least when he wasn't at work.

Loving all the updates! And what a great photo of Qi'ra--she's a beauty! Congrats!

Thank you! She's my first show dog and I do love her but its a lot of work. I don't think I could ever handle a coated show dog.

I am loving reading all of your updates and living vicariously through you until we can return!

Hopefully you can return sometime soon!

Thoroughly enjoying your report and pics, thank you so much! I can't think of a more perfect time than Via Napoli pizza and a massage. sigh. Enjoying getting my thrills vicariously thanks to you. Looking forward to more!

I could totally go for a pizza and massage right now! More incoming soonish.

Congrats on your paper! And on Qi’ra winning her major!

Thank you! I'm very proud of her as well. Hopefully she gets finished next month at Brooksville.

Topolino’s Terrace

After our relaxation, we headed to the Skyliner to head to the Rivera for us to try Topolino's Terrace for the first time. There wasn't a wait so we we able to walk right into a cabin to ourselves.

We do exist!

Our meal was right at sunset which was beautiful from the top floor of the Rivera!

Sunset

We checked in and were quickly seated at a table. We ordered a bottle of French white wine from Chateaunauf de Pape, Domaine les Cailloux Andre Brunel. It was an excellent white wine that was mineral, fruity and complex. It really fit the food for this evening.

We started with splitting the Romaine salad. The ricotta made this dish as it was so flavorful even if you did have to mix the salad together yourself.

Romaine Insalata - Ricotta, Watercress, Acciugo, Lemon, Italian Olive Oil

I went with another appetizer as my main course. The gnocchi was well seared and there was just enough duck to feel like I got enough protein in my system. It was very light so if I had been really hungry, this wouldn't have been a wise choice.

Gnocchi - Duck Confit, Pesto Bianco, Garden Kale, Pine Nuts

My husband went with the rigatoni dish. It was different than he would have normally ordered as a chicken sugo isn't something he's had before. He was pleasantly surprised with how flavorful that sauce was and how filling the dish ended up being. He had no problem finishing it off. I got a bite to see what the sauce was like and really enjoyed it as well.

Rigatoni - Braised Chicken Sugo, Dandelion Greens, Parmigiano-Reggiano

We split dessert as it sounded so good when our waiter mentioned it and we had been behaving most of the trip when it came to sweets. While it is pretty much a version of hot lava cake that is on a lot of menus, it was extremely well executed and I would get it again in no time.

Warm Valrhona Chocolate Cake - Caramel Center, Chantilly, Raspberries

Since our bottle of wine was gone by the time entrees were finished, I ordered a cocktail for dessert as well. This didn't pair with the chocolate cake at all but I still really liked it. It was light and fruity and drank easily. I can't wait until life is normal again and I can easily just walk in for a drink at the bar to enjoy all their cocktails and some appetizers on a future trip!

French Rose - Grey Goose Le Citron Vodka, Combier Creme de Pamplemousse Rose Liquor, Raspberry, Agave, Lemon, Soda Water

Yum, everything at Topolino's Terrace looks wonderful and what a perfectly timed dinner to admire that view!

Gosh, I can't wait to be able to walk into bars with no worries either. Maybe end of 2021? I really love Topolino's for both breakfast and dinner. The food has been amazing (love that chicken sugo), the views are beautiful and we've always had great service. The interior of the restaurant itself is a little meh for me. I've not stayed there yet but I'm tempted to. Riviera overall just seems really beautiful. I'm warming up to the Skyliner but some part of me is always still a bit worried we'll get stuck. :upsidedow

Yum, everything at Topolino's Terrace looks wonderful and what a perfectly timed dinner to admire that view!

It was! I think we may end up going back there during our May trip - it just didn't fit well in with the plans for next week.

Gosh, I can't wait to be able to walk into bars with no worries either. Maybe end of 2021? I really love Topolino's for both breakfast and dinner. The food has been amazing (love that chicken sugo), the views are beautiful and we've always had great service. The interior of the restaurant itself is a little meh for me. I've not stayed there yet but I'm tempted to. Riviera overall just seems really beautiful. I'm warming up to the Skyliner but some part of me is always still a bit worried we'll get stuck. :upsidedow

I'm hoping for the end of 2021, although in Naples, it seems like there is no pandemic at half the places. I haven't been for breakfast as my husband likes to avoid those character meals. I do want to stay there as well but it hasn't been available for my one night trips for Qi'ra pick up/drop offs - maybe one day! My mother bought into Rivera so I'm sure I'll get there eventually. Hopefully before her deed is given to me in ~20 years.

Sunshine Tree Terrace

It was officially Christmas now at Walt Disney World so we planned on this day being our 2nd Magic Kingdom day so we could see it for both major holidays (Halloween and Christmas) We woke up, got dressed and headed out. I was rocking my new Wine & Dine ears too! We went on a few rides as we arrived at opening.

One of the perks of Christmas at Magic Kingdom were new desserts were happening today so we decided to get a snack around 10AM. We loved this! The white chocolate mousse had just enough hint of orange flavor and it was so light. It is also adorable! The curd had the right amount of tartness as well.

Orange Bird Christmas - Orange-Scented White Chocolate Mousse filled with Orange Curd

So while we were enjoying our snack, a vlogger was there making content. It was weird to watch and I felt bad for the kids. He didn't even let his children try any even though they asked and instead they got to eat crackers from home while he was gushing about how good it was to the camera. My husband and I were like um??? The dude only took a bite and then threw it out.​

Auntie Gravity’s Galactic Treats

After our first snack, we headed over to Carousel of Progress since we haven't done that for a few years.

Santa Stitch was also out for selfies and photos.

My husband wanted ice cream and I was ok with that being lunch. I mean, its vacation! I went with the Salted Caramel special milkshake for the holidays. Honestly, it was a bit too much for me. I got through half of it but I did enjoy the churro and the salted caramel tastes. It was just overfilled and messy which was no fun trying to keep clean. Probably would stick to something more basic next time.

Just a Dream Away Shake - Salted Caramel Milkshake w/ Silver Sugar Churro

My husband just went with a chocolate shake. He had no problem making this disappear quickly!

Chocolate Shake

We did a little shopping and another couple rides before heading back to the hotel so I could finish my essay and my husband could go run before our dinner this evening.​

I'm hoping for the end of 2021, although in Naples, it seems like there is no pandemic at half the places. I haven't been for breakfast as my husband likes to avoid those character meals.

Same is true here on the Atlantic coast - lots of people operating as normal. :rolleyes: I don't love character meals either but I find the socially distanced parade of characters to be perfect for me. It's cute and provides some entertainment without any awkward interactions or explaining that I really don't want my photo taken with them, LOL. And the food is really great there.

Super cute outfit for your MK day! I'm curious who this vlogger is. I can only think of one I follow somewhat regularly with kids and I don't think he would be like that (I hope not!). I definitely enjoy watching vlogs (even as a semi-local) but really wonder about some of these folks. Just seems like they get so caught up in views, subscribers, and being amongst the first with "breaking news" that I wonder if they still get any joy out of the parks at all. But, on the other hand, it does sound kinda cool to have the parks be your work!

I think ice cream for lunch sounds perfect!!

Same is true here on the Atlantic coast - lots of people operating as normal. :rolleyes: I don't love character meals either but I find the socially distanced parade of characters to be perfect for me. It's cute and provides some entertainment without any awkward interactions or explaining that I really don't want my photo taken with them, LOL. And the food is really great there.

Super cute outfit for your MK day! I'm curious who this vlogger is. I can only think of one I follow somewhat regularly with kids and I don't think he would be like that (I hope not!). I definitely enjoy watching vlogs (even as a semi-local) but really wonder about some of these folks. Just seems like they get so caught up in views, subscribers, and being amongst the first with "breaking news" that I wonder if they still get any joy out of the parks at all. But, on the other hand, it does sound kinda cool to have the parks be your work!

I think ice cream for lunch sounds perfect!!

I'm not sure which one it was and the only photo I have has his children's face in it and a side view of him so I decided against posting it and deleted it. I had to unfollow some people on instagram as the constant breaking news about a cupcake or a drink was becoming too much for me.

Good to know about the breakfast! Maybe on a trip with my mother I'll get to check it out.

Narcoossee’s

After our relaxing afternoon, we drove over to the Grand Floridian for dinner and were quickly sitting along the windows for our meal. We were lame this evening and actually passed on getting wine or alcohol in general. Shocking I know!

The bread had changed from the large loaf to individual rolls. I hope to see the loaf return once things are back to normal as these were just ok. d

Bread

To start, I went with a really refreshing salad. There were so many flavors and textures throughout that I really enjoyed. It was the perfect fall salad.

Endive & Pear Salad, Fall Apple Vinaigrette

My husband didn’t stray from his normal choice of a caesar salad here and it was very quickly gone.

Caesar Salad

I went with an appetizer as my main as we were also getting a side dish. I loved these shrimp and grits! It was just the right amount of food to fill me up and the flavors were on point.

Barbecue-Grilled Shrimp & Grits

My husband went with a filet which was cooked to his liking. He even made a comment that I barely have eaten any steak this trip and he was the one getting it all the time. Different moods for me I guess going on!

Grass Fed Filet Mignon

We also got a side of the signature mashed potatoes that were fully loaded. These were divine. Can you really go wrong with butter, cheese and bacon?

Narcoossee’s Signature Mashed Potatoes, Yukon Gold Rustic Mash, Applewood-smoked Bacon, Tillamook Cheddar, Chives

After dinner, we headed back to the Boardwalk to start the process of packing up as we only had one full day left.​

Love reading your report! The shrimp and grits look yummy...in both places!

I'm embarrassed to say that I've never been to Narcoossee's. :oops: No real reason why - I've generally heard very good things - I just haven't made it there yet. With it being one of the few signatures currently open, I may have to make a trip. Everything looks great. The loaded mashed potato side is reason enough for me - potatoes are my love language as a good Irish gal. :laughing:

Hi there!

I've been avoiding this place like the plague since we decided to cancel our trip but reading your report is giving me all the feels. Of course one of those feels is disney depression since we would have been there at the exact same time as you all and could have finally met. But mostly good feels in seeing all the delicious disney food and drinks from a couple we know enjoys it as much as we do.

Hope you all are well and Happy New Year!

Have enjoyed reading your reviews. Looks like I had gone to California Grill the same night so I'm looking forward to that.

I'm late to the party, but I've been enjoying following along!

Better late than never! Welcome along.

Those mashed potatoes look amazing!

They were! I could go for them right now again.

Love reading your report! The shrimp and grits look yummy...in both places!

I love a good shrimp and grits. Disney did well at both places!

I'm embarrassed to say that I've never been to Narcoossee's. :oops: No real reason why - I've generally heard very good things - I just haven't made it there yet. With it being one of the few signatures currently open, I may have to make a trip. Everything looks great. The loaded mashed potato side is reason enough for me - potatoes are my love language as a good Irish gal. :laughing:

No need to be embarrassed! Pre-pandemic, with so many restaurants, I totally get it as there are so many options and some of them better than others. Potatoes are one of my husbands favorite food where as mine is cheese. I hope more signatures end up opening up soon especially before next fall!

Hi there!

I've been avoiding this place like the plague since we decided to cancel our trip but reading your report is giving me all the feels. Of course one of those feels is disney depression since we would have been there at the exact same time as you all and could have finally met. But mostly good feels in seeing all the delicious disney food and drinks from a couple we know enjoys it as much as we do.

Hope you all are well and Happy New Year!

I had a feeling that is why you fell off the boards. Can't say I blame you. I have gone through periods of avoidance too! Sorry to put you in a slight Disney depression. Hopefully once the world is normal again we can finally meet and drink and have a grand time. This trip was different than normal and we got way more relaxation than normal but I'm ok with that. Nice to unplug from the normal world for a bit.

Have enjoyed reading your reviews. Looks like I had gone to California Grill the same night so I'm looking forward to that.

I had hoped to be finished prior to my next trip tomorrow but I failed. I'll get to that review next week for sure! Hopefully you had a great meal there that night!

Taste of Food & Wine Festival Booths

When we woke up this morning, we looked at the weather and weren’t happy to see the current path of the tropical system building in the Gulf of Mexico. We would be the people driving home in the middle of a tropical storm on Sunday.

We relaxed and ate some snacks in the room for breakfast and continued to pack up some. We headed to EPCOT around 10:30AM since Frozen was reopening today after a short week long refurbishment. When we arrived the line was to China so we joined and were happy to notice that China was open and selling beer already! This was perfect way to spend the time as we waited for the ride to start.

China

Jasmine Draft Beer

The Alps

After Frozen, we decided to continue around the world to eat a few more things we had missed earlier in our trip or due to the booths being closed in the middle of the week. I really enjoyed the rose as it wasn't overly sweet. The warm cheese was just ok. It was fine with the bread but eating the baby potatoes with the cheese just didn't do it for me.

Warm Raclette Swiss Cheese w/ Baby Potatoes, Cornichons and Baguette
Frozen Rose

Africa

We stopped by Africa to pick up the shrimp and couscous. I really love the flavors of the shrimp and the couscous was good stomach lining for the alcohol.

Piri Piri Skewered Shrimp with Citrus-scented Couscous

Germany

In Germany, my husband got a different beer. Not sure which one. I wasn't a fan of it.
Beer

I was a fan of the new boozy caramels they now sell at Werther's. Each of the caramels are a little different for a different liquor but we liked them all!

Boozy Caramel

Somewhere we got another beer to split that we enjoyed. I'm thinking maybe the Smoke House? Could be wrong though.

More Random Beer

We also got another cider, I think from the UK beer cart. I loved this one!

Random Cider

Waffle Booth

Last booth was the waffles one. We were both happy with our choices as I love Bananas Fosters and my husband was happy for some protein. The Black Widow Cider was also a win.

Bananas Foster Waffle
Chicken & Waffle
Original Sin Brewery Black Widow Hard Cider

The weekend crowds were started to pile in so we called it a day and took a nice buzzed nap. I think we did well for festival life on a Saturday!​

California Grill

After a great nap, we got ready and packed up almost everything else in the room. We brought more stuff to the truck to make tomorrow morning even easier and headed over to the Contemporary. This meal was a bit later than normal for us but that is ok with me. It didn’t take long after check-in for us to be called upstairs and we were sat in the former wine room right along the window. It was a nice out of the way location.

My husband quickly picked the bottle of wine he wanted once he saw this was on the menu. It was a great wine that worked for our meal.

Merry Edwards 2018 Russian River Valley Sauvignon Blanc

I went with the Goat Cheese Ravioli as I was in the mood for something warm and comforting and this fit that bill. It’s one of the signature dishes here for a reason and while I’m not usually in the mood for it, I was today and I’m glad I went for it. Its filling yet light without any flavor being too overpowering which is hard for goat cheese and truffle at times.

Sonoma Goat Cheese Ravioli, Tomato-Fennel Ragu, Truffle-Goat Cheese Espuma, Basil Crisp

My husband shocked me and ordered outside of the norm too with going for the Apple Salad. I swear he did it for the doughnut. He enjoyed it for the flavors and felt I was a great fall salad.

Heirloom Apple Salad, Apple Variations, Caramel-Apple Vinaigrette, Tete du Moine and Cider Doughnut

I went with what I had gotten in August after debating among a couple options. I knew the dish wouldn’t be too heavy and the flavors would work well together. Why can’t all scallops be cooked this well? I would possibly eat them more if they were.

Jumbo Scallops - Carrot Puree, Butter-Poached Baby Carrots, Orange Gel, Pickled Pearl Onion, Watermelon Radish

My husband decided to branch out from Filet and instead go for the Beef Short Rib. He loved how tender it was and the flavors of the dish. He was a little over apples at the end between his salad and this but that’s on his ordering and not the food.

Braised Beef Short Rib - Parsnip-Apple Puree, Miso-Black Vinegar, Poached Baby Parsnip, Crispy Garlic & Daikon

We skipped dessert and instead headed downstairs to the Contempo Cafe where we got two things to go before driving back to the Boardwalk.

Monorail Cookies & Cream Cupcake
Peppermint Bark

I will say overall, this was a great trip. We took a very relaxed pace and still got everything we wanted to do done, except for one ride that I corrected in the upcoming bonus feature. We were kinda forced to go to restaurants we probably wouldn’t have picked had everything been open but overall the meals were pretty good.​

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter