In Every Run That Must Be Done; There is an Element of Fun (comments welcome)

Naomeri

DIS Veteran
Introduction, pt 1–2020

Hi! I’m Maureen. I’m a 37 y.o. woman from Minnesota. Sit back and relax, this intro is going to be long 😁🤪

I’ve never been a runner. I’ve hardly been a walker since I hit my teen years. I dreaded running the mile in elementary school, and barely managed to walk it most of the time. I’ve never even been particularly athletic, in part due to a definite lack of coordination. I’ve spent most of my life sitting on my widening behind, reading a book or watching tv.

But now I’m sick of it.

I’ve finally got a job and a living situation that lets me take vacations, and I’ve decided Disney World is my happy place. I like going other places, but Disney is so contained and (reasonably) hassle-free, and it’s never the same trip twice. But it’s A LOT of walking, and when I went in January 2020, I ended every day practically crippled from tight, stiff muscles, even with a midday break.

After the lockdowns started, I decided to use my new, trapped-in-the-house status to start making some changes. I live in the middle of nowhere, and I knew from past experience that if getting in shape involved leaving my house, it wasn’t going to last for long, but now I had no choice but to get in shape without going places. Luckily, we have a stationary bike.

I started out really slow and okay-ish, using the bike for 15-25 minutes once or twice a week. For a few weeks. Then just…nothing. I lost my motivation, for whatever reason. But in mid-August 2020, I found my motivation again, in my happy place. I decided that I needed a mental health break from lockdown with my grandparents and booked a trip to WDW for the last week of October. I’m a permanent remote worker, and I live in the basement of our house, with a fridge and microwave, so I would have no problem quarantining when I got home. But if I was going to spend 5 solid days in the World, I needed to be able to move without pain.

I went about it a little different than I had earlier in the year. I got the Sworkit app on my phone to teach me yoga and stretching to get my muscles more flexible. It worked better than I thought! For the first time in my whole life, I could bend over and touch my toes! I spent the latter half of August doing mostly yoga and stretching, with a few stationary bike sessions mixed in. Then I started going to our local arboretum and walking. I had gotten my grandma a family membership for Mother’s Day, and I could go anytime I wanted for free. They have a great paved walking loop that’s about 2.25 miles around. I started doing that once or twice a week, when the weather cooperated. I racked up over 12 miles of deliberate, exercise walking in a month and a half, which doesn’t sound like much, until you know that I had about half a mile of exercise walking for the previous 8 months.

My October trip rolled around, and I was in much better shape! I ended up limping a bit, but that was because I got blisters, not because my muscles were rebelling. I walked 30.9 miles in 5 days and survived!!

I kept up my Sworkit workouts a couple times a week for the rest of 2020, and even made it out to the arboretum loop a couple times to take advantage of unseasonably warm winter weather. In December, we got a small treadmill because my grandpa’s doctor said he needed to walk every day, so I had another option for at-home workouts.

Introduction, pt 2–2021

I made a New Year’s resolution: I was going to properly dedicate myself to not being a complete couch potato.

Something I didn’t mention in part 1 of this intro is that I’m slightly addicted to spreadsheets, and use them to keep track of all sorts of random things. I have a spreadsheet that lists every movie ticket I’ve kept since 2002 (not every movie I saw, I worked at a theatre for 8 years, so I saw tons without a ticket). I use a spreadsheet to count the Halloween candy by type before I put it in goody bags to hand out (every kid gets the same amount of candy, and almost all get a balanced mix of chocolate and fruity).

I decided to use my spreadsheet powers for good and start tracking my activity data. I’ve had an Apple Watch for almost 6 years now, so I have a full record of exactly how lazy I have been, and I’m slowly getting that data into spreadsheets, listing how many active calories, exercise minutes, stand hours, and steps I got each day, and then averaging that out over each month, and then comparing the monthly averages to each other. I even have colorful graphs!

I also have another spreadsheet to track my exercise specifically. I keep track of what activity, duration, distance and pace (when applicable), active calories burned, total calories burned, and average heart rate. I can (and do, when I want to impress random people while discussing workouts) whip out my phone and tell you how many minutes I’ve exercised so far this year (103h, 46m 35s), how many miles I’ve logged on the stationary bike (427.2) or while walking (86.9, outdoor and treadmill), as well as how many calories I’ve burned via my logged workouts (35,898 active, 46,283 total).

Sorry for the spreadsheet tangent, but it’s kind of important to my whole journey. I need the visual proof of what I’ve accomplished, and I need the accountability to myself. When I see the lines of my daily activity tracker going down, I know that I’ve got to work a bit harder, and when I see them go up, I know I’m on the right track. Also, data entry and building spreadsheet databases relaxes me, it’s peaceful and concrete.

Anyway—back to training! Starting January 1, 2021, I started making sure I closed my Watch rings every day. My initial goals were small, just 400 active calories on my move ring and 15 minutes of exercise, in addition to the standard 12 stand hours. I gradually increased the active calories (I’m up to 580 now) and the exercise minutes (up to 30 now). No matter how lousy or tired I feel each day, I’ve made sure that those rings are closed. Even when I was sick after my second vaccine dose, I spent some time on the bike and stretching.

In April, I felt like I needed some new motivation, and I found it in a Facebook ad for Yes.Fit. It’s got all sorts of themed races, and you can walk, run, bike, whatever, to complete the distances. This is great, yet another visual representation of my accomplishments. Then I found the runDisney Summer virtual 5K series, and combined my happy place with my motivation! But I never contemplated in-person events because I felt like I wasn’t as capable as “real runners” and I’d just embarrass myself or something.

But reading some of the posts here, I started to believe I could do it. Plus, it’s an excuse to go to my happy place. So I looked up a basic 6 week 5K training thing, and I’m going to start it tomorrow, July 11. I don’t have a lot of places to walk or run outdoors; there’s no sidewalks where I live, and hardly any shoulders on the roads, so I don’t feel very safe from cars. I’ll mostly be making do with my treadmill. I’ve found some potentially good trails, I’ll have to see how they work out for me, driving time-wise.

After I settled on my training plan, I decided that I needed a baseline to see what I’m capable of now. I know I can, at a minimum, walk 3.1 miles (and more) with no trouble at all, but could I run at all? Yes, I can, as it turns out. I completed 3.1 miles on my treadmill in 52m48s, and I wasn’t limping, crippled, or gasping for air! A lot of it was walking fast, but some was jogging. I’m limited in what I can do on the treadmill because I always feel off balance and the side hand rails get in my way, and I have trouble getting a comfortably full stride.

Now that I know that I’m capable, and that I can probably get better, I’m planning to register to do in-person for the Princess 5K and 10K, and whatever I think I’m able to do for the Springtime Surprise event (I really hope we get some info on that soon!). I’m also going to do virtual for the Wine & Dine and Walt Disney World 5K and 10Ks. I also have a few other random virtual 5Ks lined up for the fall.

So, that’s my whole, rambling introduction. I’m not sure exactly what information I’m going to put in this training journal, but it seems like a good idea, especially since I like to track things. If anyone has any comments, suggestions encouragements, whatever; I’m happy to read them.

One More Thing

It’s possible I’m an actual Disney princess 😁😁

One of my favorite activities to get me off my behind and out of the house is feeding a small army of chipmunks. They have names, and they know to come running when I go out there.

This is King. He likes to hang out on the top of a chopped off hollow tree.

This is Hopper. He had a limp when I first met him that had him hopping around instead of scurrying like a normal chipmunk.

This is Patch. He lost an eye earlier this year, but it doesn’t slow him down a bit.

This is Ein (as in Einstein). He’s the smart one that first figured out that the nice human lady brings tasty snacks.

Last edited:
Proof of Improvement Before Training

I was scrolling through my pictures from earlier this year and found this pair of screenshots. The left side is from October 2018. My grandparents were out of town, it was a beautiful fall day, and I decided to walk a big 6.5 mile loop path not far from our house. This was a dumb thing to do when there was no one at home to rescue me. I had no choice but to finish the loop (because, of course, I was doing OK until after the halfway point) because I needed to get back to my car. I ended up with blisters on the bottoms of my feet, and my calf muscles were basically frozen in place for days afterward.

Fast forward to May 2021 (the right side). I shaved more than a half hour off my time, and more than 4 minutes off my per mile pace. And I wasn’t crippled up afterward, either!

Both of these workouts were strictly slightly-more-than-casual walking, no running involved.

My Self-Adapted Training Program

When I decided to start training for a 5K, I did a google search and found a couch-to-5K type program. I added in my own program for the non-training days. This feels doable to me. I have an established baseline for what I could do before training, and I will be able to compare that to what I can do after training.

Week 1Week 2Week 3Week 4Week 5Week 6
SundayBike:
15 Minutes
Bike:
20 Minutes
Bike:
25 Minutes
Bike:
30 Minutes
Bike:
35 Minutes
Bike:
40 Minutes
MondayYogaYogaYogaYogaYogaYoga
TuesdayTreadmill: 10 MinutesTreadmill: 16 MinutesTreadmill:
19 Minutes
Treadmill: 22 MinutesTreadmill: 25 MinutesTreadmill: 20 Minutes
WednesdayRower:
10 Minutes
Rower:
15 Minutes
Rower:
20 Minutes
Rower:
25 Minutes
Rower:
30 Minutes
Rower:
35 Minutes
ThursdayTreadmill: 13 MinutesTreadmill: 19 MinutesTreadmill:
22 Minutes
Treadmill: 25 MinutesTreadmill: 28 MinutesTreadmill: 30 Minutes
FridayYogaYogaYogaYogaYogaYoga
SaturdayTreadmill:
1 Mile
Treadmill:
2 Miles
Treadmill: 2.5 MilesTreadmill:
3 Miles
Treadmill: 3.5 MilesTreadmill: Race Day

Training Day 1: 15 Minutes Stationary Bike

In the past, when I’ve done the stationary bike, I’ve usually gone for duration, not speed, but for training, I’m going to go as fast as I feel I can safely go. Today, I went 4.33 miles in 15m4s, for a new fastest pace of 3m29s/mile.

In order to fill up the rings on my watch, I added a round of yoga in the evening.

2021 workout data to date: 105h 8m 13s of exercise; 36,469 active calories burned; 46,952 total calories burned

Welcome and good luck on your journey. As for spreadsheets....I can only imagine what would happen if you and @DopeyBadger got together! (He is our resident wiz with training plans and data spreadsheets of all kinds)

You mentioned blisters twice, so I will jump in and ask: do you have proper run/walk shoes and non-cotton socks?

Welcome and good luck on your journey. As for spreadsheets....I can only imagine what would happen if you and @DopeyBadger got together! (He is our resident wiz with training plans and data spreadsheets of all kinds)

You mentioned blisters twice, so I will jump in and ask: do you have proper run/walk shoes and non-cotton socks?
I have several pair of proper shoes (unfortunately, proper shoes only work when you actually wear them 😆😆), but haven’t gotten to the socks yet. What are some suggestions for good ankle socks?

Last edited:
Lots of sock brands....I have used ones from Feetures, Swiftwick, Wrightsocks. As long as they are not cotton....nylon, polyester, etc, then they should be good. After that it's a matter of preference as to whether you like fitted, double layer, L/R specific.

You don't have to spend a fortune--I have gotten good stuff at Target.

Lots of sock brands....I have used ones from Feetures, Swiftwick, Wrightsocks. As long as they are not cotton....nylon, polyester, etc, then they should be good. After that it's a matter of preference as to whether you like fitted, double layer, L/R specific.

Awesome, thanks!

Training Day 2: Yoga

Easy day today, 43 minutes of yoga. I went through my custom program twice, with a pose length of 22 seconds (I do 30 seconds if I’m only doing 1 round). I know that if I don’t keep up with my yoga at least once or twice a week, my whole body will start protesting when I do just about anything.

2021 workout data to date: 105h 50m 53s of exercise; 36,763 active calories burned; 47,269 total calories burned

I agree with this. Try a bunch of different types of socks and find a type you are comfortable with. I ended up with my Walmart special socks being the ones I preferred.

I found a pair called "Darn Tough" at our local running store. I love them! They are supposedly guaranteed for life. Though I have not worn them out and haven't had to test that yet. Good luck!

Training Day 3: 10 Minute Walk/Run

Made it .61 miles in 10m12s, alternating between a slightly-faster-than-normal walk and a comfortable jog. I definitely don’t enjoy going fast on the treadmill, I’m going to do as many of my longer trainings on an outdoor path somewhere.

After a trip to the dentist 😝 I came home and did a round of Sworkit stretching to fill up my rings. Still feeling good about this, and I’m excited to register for the Wine & Dine Virtual 5K and 10K on Friday morning.

2021 workout data to date: 106h 20m 17s of exercise; 36,965 active calories burned; 47,509 total calories burned

Training Day 4: 10 Minutes Rowing

Today was rowing day. Rowing is really boring, but it is good for my arm strength, which is lacking. Rowing is less boring now because I found a tripod thing that can hold my 12.9” iPad Pro so I can at least watch YouTube while I’m doing it. My first 5 minutes were on resistance level 2, the last 5 minutes were on level 1.

I also did some upper body dumbbell work on my lunch break because it was pouring rain here today and I needed some extra physical activity since I couldn’t go out and feed my chipmunks as often as normal.

2021 workout data to date: 106h 43m 9s of exercise; 37,133 active calories burned; 47,718 total calories burned

Training Day 5: 13 Minute Walk/Run

I did my 13 minutes on the treadmill during my lunch break today. I made it .8 miles in 13m 11s, for a per mile pace of 16m 29s.

I also did tomorrow’s yoga today, because I’m going to be going out to the arboretum tomorrow evening for a firefly hike. I want to get there early and try to knock out a slow-paced 5K before the fireflies come out. I did the hike a couple weeks ago with my grandma and we saw a ton of fireflies, but it didn’t feel like much exercise since I had to stick to her pace.

2021 workout data to date: 107h 21m 56s of exercise; 37,421 active calories burned; 48,049 total calories burned

Woohoo! I got all registered for the virtual Wine & Dine 5K and 10K! And, because Facebook knows me entirely too well and showed me an ad I couldn’t ignore, I also signed up for a Justice League trio of virtual 5Ks

giphy.gif

Training Day 6: Yoga Lots and Lots of Walking

I spent two and a half hours at the arboretum tonight. I ended up completing my 2 remaining Lion King 5Ks with all the walking (and a little bit of running) that I did. My first one took 56m 46s (there was running, but there were also hills). The second took 1h 4m 2s (no running in this one, and it was also pretty dark by the end).

I set a new one-day record for exercise minutes (142) and more-than-doubled my move goal for the day.

I did take a little time for a couple rare character meet-and-greets 😆😆:

Bambi’s Mom

Mr Toad

2021 workout data to date: 109h 22m 44s of exercise; 38,215 active calories burned; 49,062 total calories burned

Training Day 7: 1 Mile Walk

After all the exercise yesterday, I stuck to walking-only on the treadmill today. And this was after 3 hours of trimming trees for my grandma, which included taking the butt-end of a pole saw to the upper thigh and getting a heck of a bruise. I finished the mile in 17m 14s, which is still faster than any mile I ever finished in school 😂😂 I finished the day with a short yoga session to stretch my muscles a little.

2021 workout data to date: 109h 57m 2s of exercise; 38,452 active calories burned; 49,361 total calories burned

Training Day 8: 20 Minutes Stationary Bike

I am exhausted! My grandma is lucky I love her; 2 days of trimming trees in 85°F heat after walking almost 7 miles on Friday evening is kicking my butt. I did manage to get my 20 minute stationary ride in this afternoon, but I only made it 4.88 miles because I just didn’t have the energy to go fast. I’m looking forward to just sitting at my desk tomorrow.

On a more fun note, I’m already thinking about costumes for Princess weekend. I’m thinking Rapunzel and Cinderella (or maybe Belle)

2021 workout data to date: 110h 17m 6s of exercise; 38,579 active calories burned; 49,525 total calories burned

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter