In need of transportation help with flying

Not sure how much of a priority Disneyland will be to us now that I have discovered that the nearly $650 in gift cards I have can't be used there. :headache:

I was actually more interested in the two value resorts, with thier incredible theming, the Cheyenne and Santa Fe verses the Disneyland Park. Am i missing something here by chance? Does the Disneyland Park have anything special that I can't get at the Magic Kingdom?

But I also thought about instead of renting a place in Paris, just staying at the Sequoia. I'll have to figure out the actual room pricing there.

When I used to travel abroad for work I’d always request a non-American based airline. They had better service, and more legroom. Air France was one of my favorites.

I haven’t been into Disneyland Paris, but have been to their Disney Walk and saw the hotels. They weren’t as nice as Downtown Disney in California, and not even close to Disneyworld hotels. The area around Disneyland is pretty much only the hotels and the parks. There are no nearby French towns or villages you can wander to. However, you can take the RER into Paris, and I believe the line going to Disneyland does have a stop near the Eiffel Tower.

The museum with the Mona Lisa is the Louvre. The museum is huge, the Mona Lisa is a small painting. If you like art, and love classic sculptures or Egyptian artifacts you can spend days there. If you prefer impressionist art, the museum d’Orsay is where you’ll find Degas as well as many of the impressionists, though Monet’s waterlilies are in the museum d’Orangie.

You can get reservations for the Eiffel Tower, and I highly recommend them. It saves you standing in line. If you go see the Notre Dame Cathedral don’t forget to stop by the stained glass windows of Saints-Chappelle on the same island a few blocks away.

The train through the Chunnel to London takes about 2 1/2 hours. I wouldn’t really go to see Big Ben, it’s not chiming right now, as it’s under repair. There are quite a few amazing museums there too, and the Eye is always fun.

[/QUOTE]I haven’t been into Disneyland Paris, but have been to their Disney Walk and saw the hotels. They weren’t as nice as Downtown Disney in California, and not even close to Disneyworld hotels. The area around Disneyland is pretty much only the hotels and the parks. There are no nearby French towns or villages you can wander to. However, you can take the RER into Paris, and I believe the line going to Disneyland does have a stop near the Eiffel Tower.

The museum with the Mona Lisa is the Louvre. The museum is huge, the Mona Lisa is a small painting. If you like art, and love classic sculptures or Egyptian artifacts you can spend days there. If you prefer impressionist art, the museum d’Orsay is where you’ll find Degas as well as many of the impressionists, though Monet’s waterlilies are in the museum d’Orangie.

You can get reservations for the Eiffel Tower, and I highly recommend them. It saves you standing in line. If you go see the Notre Dame Cathedral don’t forget to stop by the stained glass windows of Saints-Chappelle on the same island a few blocks away.

The train through the Chunnel to London takes about 2 1/2 hours. I wouldn’t really go to see Big Ben, it’s not chiming right now, as it’s under repair. There are quite a few amazing museums there too, and the Eye is always fun.[/QUOTE]

The RER is a train, right? I have no plans to go up in the Eiffel Tower, just check it out from the ground, take pics with family, ect. And I most certainly want to see Notre Dame. I am having second thoughts about London now. Maybe, maybe not. I think I would enjoy it, but the tickets on that train will probably run us over $400 round trip, so I am really going to have to think about that one. And my parents are really wanting me to stay clear of London, with fear of terrorism.

If we didn't do London, I might like to see parts of Spain? But one thing is, after just a couple days research on DisneyLand there, I am thinking maybe we just need to purchase us a one day ticket and that is it. I mean, the Santa Fe hotel is a complete no go now, because they don't have air conditioning. What?????? Is air conditioning a luxury over there or something? It would be the Cheyenne or the Sequoia if we stayed there any. But with them not letting me use my gift cards, uggghhhhhh.

Air conditioning and ice for drinks are not common in much of Europe. You also usually aren't automatically served free tap water.

You need to think about how much you can really do in the span of 1 week. Do you really want to be traveling a lot once you're across the pond?

We're going to Italy in the spring. A flight from our mid-sized city with one layover would have been over $1k. A direct flight from a city 3 hours away would have been $800. We booked direct flights from a city 5 hours away for $450. We decided the extra time driving was worth the cost savings. Really think about what makes sense for you, logistically.

Air conditioning and ice for drinks are not common in much of Europe. You also usually aren't automatically served free tap water.

You need to think about how much you can really do in the span of 1 week. Do you really want to be traveling a lot once you're across the pond?

We're going to Italy in the spring. A flight from our mid-sized city with one layover would have been over $1k. A direct flight from a city 3 hours away would have been $800. We booked direct flights from a city 5 hours away for $450. We decided the extra time driving was worth the cost savings. Really think about what makes sense for you, logistically.
I will, I will really be studying the rates for a bit.

To SL6827

You seem very mixed up in what you want to do.

First you stated that you were going to Europe for Medical reasons

Now you are thinking of ....... I have no idea of What ?

Please give better plans so we can help.

Yes most times you have to ask for ice .

To SL6827

You seem very mixed up in what you want to do.

First you stated that you were going to Europe for Medical reasons

Now you are thinking of ....... I have no idea of What ?

Please give better plans so we can help.

Yes most times you have to ask for ice .
Ok, yes the main reason is for medical purposes for my daughter. Believe me, if it weren't for my child needing this surgery, there is no way I would be going. I am actually somewhat worried about having panic attacks the closer we get to the trip, whenever that will be. But we got to thinking and decided we will just go ahead and do a week of vacation before her surgery in Bordeaux. So as of now, our hopeful plans are to do week #1 as a possible vacation and then head to Bordeaux the following week for the surgery. After some helpful advice on this thread, I have gained insight on what will probably be our flight reservations and cost for a non stop trip from Atlanta to Paris and back. And for that I am very thankful.

So I'm one of those who is on the plane at least every other week. I use to travel every month to London and Paris for 2 years. For the non-stop verse a layover, I would only do a layover if your ok with missing the connection. Flights these days are generally tightly scheduled. If there is a storm or just any type of delay on your first leg, there may be a chance you'll miss your connection. If you must connect, book something with at least 90 mins between flights. If your lucky and the carrier has multiple flight and can get you seats on the next flight great, but if not you'll have to wait and your at the airlines mercy. When traveling on long haul flights, I always pack a change of cloth with me in carry on. There is nothing worse then getting something spilled on you and having to spend a few hours in wet cloths. Thankfully in all the years I've only had this happen 2 times, but I was glad I had an extra shirt with me.

For Paris, read a few articles about the customs. You hear stories about the rudeness, but I found this not to be true (but I grew up in NYC). If you learn a little bit about the customs and some basic words, it goes a long way. Walk into a small shop, it's expected to greet the person in there, you don't well you may not get help. Waitstaff and bartenders do not work on tips, so it makes no different to them if you get good service. Your attitude is what counts. Service charge is automatically included on the bill. When a tourist asks if "tip" is included they will tell you no, but you do not need to leave extra unless you feel the person deserves it.

Figure out how your getting from the airport to your place. Many drivers do not speak English very well, so have your address written down or book with a car service where you can pre-arrange everything via email prior to your arrival.

When you settle in, find the nearest bakery and buy a baguette, they are unbelievably in Paris. The web has all the best ones listed.

The RER is the train that runs from Charles De Gaule airport thru Paris to Disneyland Paris. Some of it’s stations connect to the Paris Metro system.

I’m not sure you will need air conditioning in Feb or March. Average temperature is in the 40s F. It may even snow. The plus is the museums and attractions like Notre Dame have very low crowds, so you can really see everything.

If you want to see London go! I was just there for the month of August and it was awesome. Chances of a terrorist attack are about the same as one at Disneyworld.

Spain would require a plane flight, as it would be an overnight train trip.

And FYI - if I were in Chattanooga, you'd be better off to drive to Atlanta and board there. If you drive to Nashville, you're still going to have to change planes in Atlanta or Philadelphia or elsewhere to reach Paris, and chances are good that the additional connection will add unwanted $$ to the price of your tickets. Your best bet of a nonstop flight is out of Atlanta.

Delta and Air France are partners. Even if you make your flight booking on Delta, it's very possible that you'll be flying on Air France. They're a very nice airline. I've flown with them in Europe. Sometimes I think they are nicer than some US based airlines.

Good luck with everything!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter