In the Kitchen with Donald

jam is a great idea! i used to buy a banana strawberry pineapple (i think?) jam from a stall at my local market all the time. it was incredible, especially on vanilla ice cream!

i would give jam a try, but i don’t have any canning tools. maybe i’ll look into some other options. thanks for the idea :)

I just noticed today that my breadmaker has a jam setting . Which is weird but I‘m going to give it a try ! Strawberry pineapple sounds amazing.

I decided I "NEEDED" to bake some bread today and went all in with the white sandwich loaf that requires a double rising because it's very therapeutic for me. It takes time to get from the ingredients lined up on my counter, measuring them out on the scale, making the tangzhong first to get that special squooshy texture typical of store-bought white bread, firing up Max to knead it till it's just right, plop it into my rising bucket and chucking it in the oven to rise the first time, pulling it out to punch and prod it into 2 loaves, placing it lovingly into the pans to rise once more, baking it till it's perfectly golden brown and then turning it onto the racks. I can't concentrate on much else while I'm doing the actual work (unless i want to bake up some mighty fine cinder blocks!) and it's very satisfying to watch hubby grin when he eats that first hunk slathered in butter with a healthy plop of homemade strawberry jam.

While i was working away i realized i haven't shared a couple of tricks i've learned along the way that might be helpful to everyone.
Get annoyed with your dishcloths getting all goopey with hunks of dough when you wash up? That's because the hot water is actually cooking the flour! Easy fix for that is to use COLD water first and the dough will easily come off, scoop it out of the bottom of the sink with a paper towel and toss it out. Rinse the dishes with hot water before you wash them and save yourself from dealing with the glue you inadvertently make.

Once you've taken the time to get your bread dough "just right" don't add extra flour when you take it out of the bowl, or shape it into loafs because it might make it more dense. Instead spray your hands with Pam (or whatever you use) and gently handle the dough, less messy too!

Once you've taken the time to get your bread dough "just right" don't add extra flour when you take it out of the bowl, or shape it into loafs because it might make it more dense. Instead spray your hands with Pam (or whatever you use) and gently handle the dough, less messy too!

WOW-this is such an awesome tip-thank you!

Just made cranberry-oatmeal cookies with my oldest. It's her favourite cookies and have been asking to bake some since we are home in social-distancing. We baked 12 then freeze the rest of the dough in balls and bake them whenever we want freshly baked cookies.

D682A455-66A5-4236-876B-B439A1B4BCCF_1_201_a.jpeg
7C4B9A68-91D0-4EEE-9713-013C30CE5806_1_201_a.jpeg

Well, this thread inspired me. We have bread, so (once I got some yeast from the local grocery store) I decided to make cinnamon buns. I used this THIS RECIPE and they turned out great! I had to hide them or DH would have had 2 or 3. Me, too. They'll be nice for breakfast in the morning.

Just made cranberry-oatmeal cookies with my oldest. It's her favourite cookies and have been asking to bake some since we are home in social-distancing. We baked 12 then freeze the rest of the dough in balls and bake them whenever we want freshly baked cookies.

View attachment 484312
View attachment 484315
My grandmother used to make a “lacy” cookie only at Christmas that looked very much like this, except without chocolate chips or raisins. Does anyone know another name for “lacy” cookies? I sure would love to find something similar.

Well, this thread inspired me. We have bread, so (once I got some yeast from the local grocery store) I decided to make cinnamon buns. I used this THIS RECIPE and they turned out great! I had to hide them or DH would have had 2 or 3. Me, too. They'll be nice for breakfast in the morning.

Oh I might just have to try making them!

my milk-guzzling toddler has decided in the last week or so that he only likes milk right before bed. so i needed to use up a jug before it turned. so this week we’ve had biscuits and gravy for dinner and a flapper pie for dessert.

i find keeping my food waste waaaaaay down has really helped me manage my stress levels. if you’re looking to use up some milk, i recommend both recipes (but especially the pie...my favourite!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter