Inaugural Disney Castaway Cay Challenge

Really getting disgusted with RunDisney, they announce after everything is sold out. I already did GSC, am doing the TOT and W&D but now I'm penalized because I don't normally do Marathon weekend but love running and my Disney cruise's. BAD FORM DISNEY!

The hubs and I are all registered for the race. pixiedust: I'm sure it will be sold out by tomorrow. Regardless of the complaints people have had... RunDisney's idea worked, and the race is nearly sold out on Day 1. Is there an official group yet for the runners on this cruise? If not, we should start one. =) Happy training!

There is a official thread for this cruise with a link to a face book group.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3204906

After waffling for a week, I finally decided you only live once. All booked for the cruise and registered myself and my husband for the race! :yay:

I have noticed that they do not update the counts from Friday night and over the weekend. I was surprised to see the update this morning on a holiday. My guess is that it sold out sometime Saturday afternoon after ReindeerMom signed up.

I'm just going to treat this as the official thread.

I doubt the non-runners on the Cruise forum page will appreciate their thread being taken over, and I don't mix Facebook and the Dis. :)

I wasn't annoyed at rundisney for announcing the Castaway Challenge after Marathon Weekend was mainly sold out...

But today I'm SERIOUSLY annoyed with them for creating the Star Wars Half on a date when it is impossible to do the whole weekend in Anaheim if you've taken the bait and booked this cruise. If it were possible, DH and DS would do the 5K. But we'll be disembarking after that 5K starts. Even doing the 10K is tricky because of their old and new rules about packet pickup. DS is too young for the 10K I believe, definitely for the Half, and too old for the Kids Races. So it's a no-go.

And sure I could eat the 5K cost and cancel the cruise. Just wish they had worked this ALL out and announced it all, rather than doing this piecemeal.

I'm just going to treat this as the official thread.

I doubt the non-runners on the Cruise forum page will appreciate their thread being taken over, and I don't mix Facebook and the Dis. :)

I wasn't annoyed at rundisney for announcing the Castaway Challenge after Marathon Weekend was mainly sold out...

But today I'm SERIOUSLY annoyed with them for creating the Star Wars Half on a date when it is impossible to do the whole weekend in Anaheim if you've taken the bait and booked this cruise. If it were possible, DH and DS would do the 5K. But we'll be disembarking after that 5K starts. Even doing the 10K is tricky because of their old and new rules about packet pickup. DS is too young for the 10K I believe, definitely for the Half, and too old for the Kids Races. So it's a no-go.

And sure I could eat the 5K cost and cancel the cruise. Just wish they had worked this ALL out and announced it all, rather than doing this piecemeal.

I completely agree. By the time we disembark and can feasibly get to MCO, there isn't a flight that will get me back to LAX in time to get to the Expo on Friday, so the Rebel Challenge is out.

It's hard to complain that I'm "stuck" taking a cruise and have to miss a new Challenge, but it really would have been nice to have all of the information before making all the plans.

When all is said and done, I am glad I booked the cruise/Castaway Cay Challenge. Really looking forward to it!

I completely agree. By the time we disembark and can feasibly get to MCO, there isn't a flight that will get me back to LAX in time to get to the Expo on Friday, so the Rebel Challenge is out.

It's hard to complain that I'm "stuck" taking a cruise and have to miss a new Challenge, but it really would have been nice to have all of the information before making all the plans.

When all is said and done, I am glad I booked the cruise/Castaway Cay Challenge. Really looking forward to it!

There are a ton of flights that go from MCO to Orange County or LAX in time to get to the expo.

There are a ton of flights that go from MCO to Orange County or LAX in time to get to the expo.

Thank you, roomthreeseventeen. I checked the flights to LAX (that's where my car will be). There are a few that might work, but both have connecting flights and are a lot more expensive than a direct flight later in the evening. Not to mention, my husband will probably have me committed if he knew what I was up to. :eek:

YES.

Not to mention, my husband will probably have me committed if he knew what I was up to. :eek:

And yes, LOL.

If I were to have us race to the plane and fly out to Anaheim for a weekend that DH and DS can't participate in, after being at the WDW marathon weekend that they can't participate in, they would lock me up somewhere.

I messed up and slept in the day of open registration, and missed getting them into the WDW 5K. DS isn't old enough for the longer races. DH is scared of anything longer than a 5K because every time he tries to start training, he hurts his achilles. So the other races aren't possible, and therefore they are going to be my support team.

And then the 5K starts the same day the cruise disembarks. They aren't thinking. They could have gotten more money if they had done it differently!

FYI, there is a post in the Disney Challenge FB group from someone who talked to runDisney today. There will be NO late pick up for people trying to run the Castaway Cay 5k and the Rebel Challenge. You must make it to Anaheim in time Friday night.

So I may or may not have a problem here. Wife and I are doing the Dopey and the Castaway. We have a 3yo DD who will be with us for both. Grandma is going to have a blast at the parks with the DD while we huff and puff 48.6 miles.

Grandma sadly isn't coming on the cruise which means the DD needs to either be supervised or come with us.

Before I registered I read multiple places where jogging strollers were allowed however it seems the "official" challenge race isn't going to allow that. Not sure when the race time is and when Scuttles or It's a Small World nursery opens while in port. I hope Disney considers this scenario when scheduling the race.

Any thoughts?

So I may or may not have a problem here. Wife and I are doing the Dopey and the Castaway. We have a 3yo DD who will be with us for both. Grandma is going to have a blast at the parks with the DD while we huff and puff 48.6 miles. Grandma sadly isn't coming on the cruise which means the DD needs to either be supervised or come with us. Before I registered I read multiple places where jogging strollers were allowed however it seems the "official" challenge race isn't going to allow that. Not sure when the race time is and when Scuttles or It's a Small World nursery opens while in port. I hope Disney considers this scenario when scheduling the race. Any thoughts?

I am doing castaway too and my husband is going on the cruise but not running. We could meet on the cruise and I'm sure he would be more than happy to hang with your dd for the race. We have 2 nephews and a niece between 3 and 5 so it's right up his ally.

I realize you may not be comfortable with a stranger but in the name of the run disney family and we could meet ahead of time in disney or on the cruise. Just figured I would put it out there. Please pm me if you want to talk more.

Other option is the kids club on the ship!

Congrats on doing dopey. I did it last year and it was a blast!! Just the half for me this year and trying for the trifecta by adding Star Wars!

Have a great weekend!

I would be interested in this if they offered this Castaway Cay Challenge after any runDisney 1/2 marathon race weekend.

So I may or may not have a problem here. Wife and I are doing the Dopey and the Castaway. We have a 3yo DD who will be with us for both. Grandma is going to have a blast at the parks with the DD while we huff and puff 48.6 miles. Grandma sadly isn't coming on the cruise which means the DD needs to either be supervised or come with us. Before I registered I read multiple places where jogging strollers were allowed however it seems the "official" challenge race isn't going to allow that. Not sure when the race time is and when Scuttles or It's a Small World nursery opens while in port. I hope Disney considers this scenario when scheduling the race. Any thoughts?

Assuming she is potty trained and therefore eligible for Scuttle's, it's open for the 5k. The usual 5k, that is. They aren't really sharing how exactly this will be run (they likely don't even know) but I assume it will be somewhat the same.

The nursery is open for the normal 5k too. Overestimate the time you book, if she'll be in the nursery. This one will likely be better run than the normal, but just in case. Last time I ran the cc 5k as we got off the ship, much later than expected, a woman was complaining that she had booked nursery time based on the info given, and basically she had to go get her kids without even running. Book longer than you expect to need.

Assuming she is potty trained and therefore eligible for Scuttle's, it's open for the 5k. The usual 5k, that is. They aren't really sharing how exactly this will be run (they likely don't even know) but I assume it will be somewhat the same.

The nursery is open for the normal 5k too. Overestimate the time you book, if she'll be in the nursery. This one will likely be better run than the normal, but just in case. Last time I ran the cc 5k as we got off the ship, much later than expected, a woman was complaining that she had booked nursery time based on the info given, and basically she had to go get her kids without even running. Book longer than you expect to need.

Appreciate the info. I am going to call DCL at some point and confirm but at least this gives me hope!

FYI, there is a post in the Disney Challenge FB group from someone who talked to runDisney today. There will be NO late pick up for people trying to run the Castaway Cay 5k and the Rebel Challenge. You must make it to Anaheim in time Friday night.

Do we know what time the expo will close on Friday?

Hi!
I too am doing the Castaway Cay Challenge then heading to California for the Rebel Challenge. I am booked on Delta flight 1659. For those doing the same, what are your plans for getting from the cruise terminal to the airport?? It might be tight so I am hoping to make arrangements in advance to secure transportation.

The Castaway Challenge has been added to the 4 night Dream cruise after the PHM weekend.

For those who registered for the January Challenge, how does the sign up work? We booked the cruise while onboard in January and I booked the Enchanted 10k as a DVC member last week. Thanks. -- Suzanne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter